Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Posts 3,581 to 3,600 of 4,508

TheFrenchiestFry

I still believe in Dante

Either him or Phoenix as a new Capcom rep

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

TheFrenchiestFry

@DarthNocturnal That seems to be the case. It was probably also the fighter who was intended to be announced at E3 which is why it's JUST the trailer for the fighter I guess

TheFrenchiestFry

Toy_Link

@DarthNocturnal
May also be that there'll be another video presentation closer to the fighter's release (as there's been no mention of the next fighter releasing tomorrow.).

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

TheFrenchiestFry

I suspect it's a third party character. They've gotten one first party out of the way and the last two fighters are both from Nintendo franchises

TheFrenchiestFry

Grumblevolcano

@DarthNocturnal I'm guessing release is too far off for the character breakdown (e.g. releases in January/February).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

@TheFrenchiestFry I dunno. There's a decent chance they struggled to get 3rd party characters for this set of fighters. Though, outside of a new Pokemon, it's hard to imagine who they'd even bring in. Xenoblade getting a second fighter isn't out of the question, nor are Bandana Dee or Dixie Kong. But eh, it's hard to tell.

link3710

TheFrenchiestFry

@link3710 They decided on the lineup well before this pandemic actually happened (November 2019 according to the Byleth presentation). The struggle came from presenting the fighters to third party publishers according to Sakurai, which implies there are definitely third party characters in this lineup.

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

link3710

So wait, are we going to get a new set of Mii Costumes shown off at this or not?

link3710

Blooper987

@link3710 probably not. I’m guessing we’ll get a full sakurai presents in November

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

Grumblevolcano

@DarthNocturnal Min Min alone wouldn't get lots of Fighters Pass 2 purchases so I'd guess the early reveal would be to increase Fighters Pass 2 sales over the holidays.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Rexenoboy

During Min Min's reveal, Sakurai explicitly stated that the next reveal might not be as extravagant as they've been because of the pandemic. My guess is that tomorrow's reveal will not be an animated trailer but a gameplay / in-engine one, followed by a couple of words from Mr. Sakurai. I also think the character will be playable one or two weeks after the presentation.

Also: please be Rex, please be Rex, please be Rex,...

Treasure Acquired

link3710

@Rexenoboy If it's Rex, he better be a buddy with Pyra/Mythra, with a tag team mechanic that swaps the two.. Not that I don't like Rex on his own, but you're missing the core gameplay of XC2 if you have him fight without blades.

link3710

Rexenoboy

@link3710
I agree, he should have at least one blade with him, preferably Pyra. About a month ago I wrote these thoughts on this forum.

Rexenoboy wrote:

I've been thinking about a possible moveset for Rex. From what I've read on a number of fora, most seem to think he'd be able to switch blades with each blade giving him a different set of moves.

While that's a neat idea, it'd basically turn him into a cross between Pokémon Trainer and Shulk, which I don't think is unique enough for Mr. Sakurai. He seems to go out of his way to make each DLC fighter as unique as possible and as close to their original gameplay as possible. Terry and Min Min are perfect examples of this.

The core mechanic of combat in Xenoblade 2 isn't so much the switching of blades, although it's a big factor as well, it's the rhythm and combos that drive the combat. Standard attacks drive arts, which in turn drive specials. Therefore I believe it would be much more interesting to see Rex reflect those mechanics in SSBU instead of blade switching. It'd go something like this:

• Rex only has 1 blade: Pyra.
  • The blade constantly follows the driver but can't be injured like the Ice Climbers.
  • The closer the blade is in proximity to the driver, the more damage his normal and smash attacks do.
  • Rex has 2 gauges which gradually fill up.
  • The first gauge (Arts Gauge) gets filled through normal and smash attacks and has 3 levels. Each increasing level makes his Special Attacks more powerful. Use a special attack and 1 level of the gauge gets depleted. Even at level 0, Rex is still able to perform specials but they're very weak.
  • The second gauge (Special Gauge) gets filled using his tilt special attacks and this too has 3 levels. Each of these levels increase the power of his Neutral Special which uses the whole gauge no matter which level it is.

Now, as for his tilt Specials, these are all based on his Arts from XC2 while using the Aegis Sword. If you've played XC2 you'll know how these would look in SSBU.

• Side Special: Anchor Shot
  • Up Special: Double Spinning Edge
  • Down Special: Rolling Smash
  • Neutral Special is based on Pyra's Special Attacks (Flame Nova, Prominence Revolt and Blazing End) though highly modified to fit into Smash: Pyra swoops in to perform one of 3 different attacks depending on which level the Special Gauge is. The higher its level, the stronger and far reaching the attack is. You need to be aware of Pyra's location when you use this attack.
  • Final Smash is based on Pyra's level 4 Special attack Burning Sword.

I believe a gameplay style like this truly represents Rex like he behaves in XC2, much better at least than he would with exchangeable blades. It'd encourage the player to mix things up and it has a great risk/reward playstyle which is always fun for veterans of Smash.

Edit: I forgot to mention his stage. I think it'd be cool if it were based on the Leftherian Archipelago. Imagine a scrolling stage in which platforms bring you from one island to the next, including Fonsett Village.

Anyway, whatever Mr. Sakurai decides to do with Rex, I'm sure it'll be great. If he makes it into Smash in the first place that is.
Goodness, I really hope he does!

Treasure Acquired

TheFrenchiestFry

Honestly I still think the Rex/Pyra ship sailed as soon as the Spirits and XC2 music were revealed in the November Direct

If they didn't make such a big deal about it and give it its own segment and mention he probably would've had a likelier shot. Byleth being picked when XC2 was already just over two years old was the nail in the coffin for that I feel

TheFrenchiestFry

link3710

@Rexenoboy I have trouble seeing Rex's final smash as anything other than Rex (in his Master Driver armor) and Pneuma teaming up using the true Aegis, it's basically his ultimate move in the actual games after all. Though, perhaps it's too soon? Still, Mythra's beams of light attack that tore apart the battlefield when facing Jin might be a much less spoilery choice since that's only chapter 4.

link3710

Rexenoboy

@link3710
The final smashes you propose sure are possible, but they don't fit with the theme I had in my mind. But hey, this is all conjecture after all. If Rex does make it in, I'm sure he will play completely different from what I had in my mind. And that's probably for the best.

Treasure Acquired

Grumblevolcano

@TheFrenchiestFry I think the ship came back when ARMS was announced for Smash back in March. Sakurai said in that November 2018 Direct that XC2 was announced after planning for Smash Ultimate had started and that's why a XC2 character couldn't appear in the base roster. Given both ARMS and XC2 were first announced in the January 2017 Switch presentation, an ARMS character wasn't possible for the launch roster for the same reason.

So getting an ARMS character made Rex a lot more likely to appear.

Grumblevolcano

TheFrenchiestFry

@Grumblevolcano I don't recall if ARMS actually got like the full treatment however

Like Xenoblade 2 got the full on "new fighter's accompanying content" treatment minus the fighter with both spirits AND a few music tracks. ARMS had spirits but I don't remember if there were any music tracks in the game already that weren't brought in when Min Min was added

And again, it was Min Min instead of Spring Man, who is arguably considered the key promotional mascot alongside Ribbon Girl, and one of them was demoted to Assist Trophy status while the other just got a Mii costume. That's the grey area I guess

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

link3710

@TheFrenchiestFry XC2 didn't get a stage yet, the only Xeno stage remain Gaur Plains from XC1. The only thing it has is the Mii Fighter Costumes (2 of them), and 3 songs, and a handful of spirits.

Between XC2 and Torna, there's well over a 100 more songs that could accompany them, plus many major characters without spirits (All of the party member blades save Pyra, Mythra and Poppy, all the villains, characters like the Architect, Torna characters etc).

So yeah, it definitely didn't get the full package, nothing that would stop them from doing a character. Especially since we're still missing much of the best music and don't have a stage. Also, ARMS had an Assist Trophy, Spirits and Mii Costumes, so I'd say they were about even.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic