Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Posts 3,561 to 3,580 of 4,508

Blooper987

@kkslider5552000 thing is. Ace attorney has a strong history with Nintendo. DMC doesn’t have that and monster hunter is a generic avatar from a series already represented with one of its main characters.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

link3710

@TheFrenchiestFry I was wary about Joker (I was kinda still drawn into the SMT vs Persona debate back then which didn't help), but I was the same about Cloud. Actually, when it comes to Cloud, I was dead set against him, I wanted Terra (FFVI) or a Moogle instead.

I've clearly gotten over that and am happy he's in now, but yeah, I don't think that many people who are wary of Joker weren't also wary of Cloud pre-FF VII on Switch.

@Blooper987 DMC may not have a huge history with Nintendo, but the series does at least have the original 3. Besides, Dante vs Bayonetta is something amazing if it happens.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

Blooper987

@link3710 I wish we got Terra too. I’m probably too stubborn to like anyone but Phoenix, but Dante would be better than monster hunter. Phoenix is just SO unique

TheFrenchiestFry

@Blooper987 I really don't think a series being strongly tied to Nintendo really matters anymore

Hell even the first ever third party Smash rep was Snake, and he had like maybe 4 games on Nintendo systems while the large majority of his games were on PlayStation instead, including MGS4 which got repped through a track feature on the Shadow Moses stage before that game even came out as a PS3 EXCLUSIVE.

And I do think if they go with a new Capcom rep, it'll 100% either be Dante or Monster Hunter. Sure Phoenix has more of a connection to Nintendo than either of those two, but going off of picks like Joker, Cloud, Ryu, Bayonetta and Snake, they also clearly gravitate towards characters who appeal to the mainstream gaming crowd regardless of platform, which is even why Joker was revealed at The Game Awards rather than a Nintendo Direct or Smash Direct. Persona not only resonates with that audience but P5 itself was nominated for a crap ton of awards including even Game of the Year the previous year

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Rexenoboy

TheFrenchiestFry wrote:

I really don't think a series being strongly tied to Nintendo really matters anymore

@TheFrenchiestFry
I agree. While I'll always prefer Nintendo characters, I can't deny how creative Sakurai-san has been with all these third party characters. Some of the most fun characters in Smash aren't Nintendo character, like Mega Man, Ryu, Simon, Joker, Banjo-Kazooie and Terry.

That being said, I feel Sakurai really has stepped up his game with Ultimate to make the new characters more unique and fun to play as the older characters. Not every character will work for everyone (Hero and Min Min were misses for me) but the creativity of the new additions really outshine most of the older ones.

Treasure Acquired

Blooper987

@TheFrenchiestFry it’s a mix sure the characters you mentioned are popular now. But Simon, Banjo, Terry, PAC-MAN, and Mega Man aren’t. Sakurai seems to want a good mix.

TheFrenchiestFry

@Blooper987 Terry is part of one of the most celebrated fighting game series in history, Literally any average joe on the street can recognize Pac-Man because he's Pac-Man, and Simon & Mega Man are two of the most iconic third party characters who debuted on the NES, and they also gained further popularity when their home series transitioned to the PlayStation during the 5th gen

If anything, Banjo is the one character who only has any semblance of appeal to the hardcore Nintendo-acquainted crowd despite being a Microsoft character

TheFrenchiestFry

PikaPhantom

@TheFrenchiestFry Smash DLC characters often tie into promoting a specific game - Corrin, Hero, and Byleth are the major instances thus far (deliberately added to promote a certain game). Next year marks the 20th anniversary of the series following the first game releasing on GBA in Japan, and it's likely there will be a new entry. Getting Phoenix in Smash would be a great way of promoting the series while also satisfying many fans. Not saying he's a given - in fact, I think Dante could be used to promote the Devil May Cry releases on Switch - but both are more likely than a Monster Hunter rep.

PikaPhantom

TheFrenchiestFry

@PikaPhantom See with Joker it's complicated, as is with Terry and Banjo, because Joker clearly wasn't put in to promote Persona 5 Royal or Persona 5 Scramble seeing as how both weren't even officially unveiled yet at the time of his addition, so I just treated it like another Persona crossover thing since Atlus loves to do that with games on other platforms like Dragon's Dogma and PSO2. He also clearly wasn't put in to promote Persona Q2 since he was decided on as a fighter before Q2 even launched in Japan and his challenger pack didn't have any representation from the Q games

Terry clearly wasn't put in to promote KOFXV since his home series is acknowledged as Fatal Fury and KOFXV was announced like a year after he was decided on as a fighter

Banjo is literally in cryostasis, he hasn't had a single new game or appearance in anything that wasn't Rare Replay since Sonic and SEGA All Stars Racing

Excluding Byleth, the only one of the 5 that I could see actually being a tie in to a specific game was Hero.

TheFrenchiestFry

PikaPhantom

@TheFrenchiestFry That's basically what I said, though? I didn't mention the other pass characters because they weren't promoting a specific game. Nintendo was pushing XI S and paired Hero's reveal with a trailer for it. Pretty obvious it was a marketing push mixed in with a character who absolutely deserved to be included.

All I'm trying to say is that they've done it before. Probably should've worded it differently, but I'm just trying to say Phoenix has a chance. Monster Hunter is technically in the same boat as ARMS, but the difference is, there weren't any ARMS songs in the base game. There are 2 Monster Hunter songs, and while it's possible they would just move them from Other if you purchased the DLC, I don't really see it happening.

PikaPhantom

Dogorilla

@Northwind Did you fight all three versions of the final boss (Galeem, Dharkon, and both together)? I thought I'd missed a spirit when I finished World of Light but it turned out you just need to do that to get 100%.

(Also I guess most people have probably finished WoL by now but you might want to use spoiler tags in that first paragraph just in case)

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

jump

@TheFrenchiestFry whilst King of Fighters is a celebrated fighting series it just isn’t in the same league as other fighting games like Tekken, Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat or Dead Or Alive which have not got a Smash rep. Whilst yeah, some of those aren’t Smash friendly with their boobs and gore but the point I’m trying to make is in terms of fighting games I’m not sure KOF would make the top ten honestly.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

TheFrenchiestFry

@jump Mortal Kombat getting a Smash rep is physically impossible at this point given the games themselves have been banned in Japan since MK9

I'd imagine if Mai Shiranui couldn't make it into Smash any of the DOA girls are basically completely off the table. Also I think DOA is considerably more niche than KOF. DOA 6 proved that basically all of the game's value comes from the fanservice rather than the actual gameplay. It's not on the same level as other similar fighting games.

I imagine Tekken will still happen though. Heihachi was actually considered for Smash 4 but was dropped due to apparent difficulties translating the 3D Fighting gameplay to a 2D setting (although SFxT did that pretty freaking well). Tekken is definitely happening before Soul Calibur for sure. It's still considered Namco's premier fighting game franchise

TheFrenchiestFry

jump

@TheFrenchiestFry DOA may be a fan service game but it's popularity is way above KOF and most other fighting games.

I've always preferred Soul Calibur to Tekken myself. I never found the Tekken roster that interesting for my taste and Soul Calibur use of weapons always made it stand out to me.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Rexenoboy

@jump
KoF might not be very popular in the UK and US, but it definitely is in other parts of the world, South America especially and large parts of Europe and Asia as well. It's a couple of years beyond its prime, but so is every other fighting game franchise.

Treasure Acquired

jump

@Rexenoboy I never said KOF wasn't popular, just that it's popularity is modest compared to other fighters. The argument for Terry seems to be he's from a fighting game but I think there are choices from more popular and iconic fighters out there.

Whilst fighting games are not as big as they once they are still force, MK11 was the 5th biggest selling game last year for example.

Nicolai wrote:

Blooper987

Any idea if the new Impa could get into smash?

jump

@Blooper987 I'd imagine if Impa is one of the pass fighters the HW AOC look would just be one of the skins rather than the only version. Her look has jumped all over the places from game to game (and even in the same game) to stick to just one version.

I'd love to see the fat nurse version be one of them for the lols, the Skyward Sword version is one of my favorites, the bad ass looking one from Ocarina of Time should be there too since that is when people started to take her more seriously and the BOTW/HW AOC one for synergy if it's just four like Dragon Quest's Hero.

They'd probably include Tingle in Smash over Impa just to annoy people. I still don't understand how he got his own spin off series over other Zelda characters.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

PikaPhantom

@Toy_Link The three question marks are hinting that the next character will be triple random

PikaPhantom

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic