Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Posts 3,421 to 3,440 of 4,508

SKTTR

There was no mention of anything changing about the character selection for Fighters Pass 2, so until there are no official news about that, there still won't be any Assist Trophy, Mii Costume, and Spirit promotions. That means, Rayman, Shantae, Waluigi, Geno, Isaac, Leon S. Kennedy and Jill Valentine, Spring Man and Ribbon Girl (ARMS), Shadow the Hedgehog, Skull Kid, The Wrestler (Rhythm Paradise), Mallo (Pullblox), Tetrominos, Wonder Red (The Wonderful 101), Cuphead, Paper Mario, Astral Chain etc. are still deconfirmed for Fighters Pass 2.

And as long as Rayman (and now Rabbids too) are deconfirmed, there won't be room for Crash Bandicoot.
I argue Rayman is higher up in the hierarchy of Third Party Platformer icons. Conker, Wonder Boy, and even Bub & Bob, at least for me, too.

So, with this in mind, until proper clarification my picks are these:
1. Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)
2. Prof. Layton
3. Phoenix Wright
4. Pete (Harvest Moon)
5. Crono (Chrono Trigger)
6. Bub & Bob (Bubble Bobble)
7. Wonder Boy
8. Ark (Terrangima)
9. Conker (Conker's Bad Fur Day)
10. Fulgore (Killer Instinct)
And if the final one of Fighters Pass 2 is a Nintendo character again, then Porky (EarthBound)

And these are my favourites if ATs, spirits, and Mii constumes are promoted:
1. Chibi-Robo
2. Saki Amamiya (Sin and Punihsment)
3. Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
4. Bomberman
5. Goemon (Mystical Ninja)
6. Shadow the Hedgehog
7. Krystal (Starfox)
8. Zael (The Last Story)
9. Pauline (Super Mario)
10. Bandana Waddle Dee (Kirby)

DarthNocturnal wrote:

Altiar was in “Assassin's Cteed: Altiar's Chronicles“ on DS, and Ezio in “Assassin's Creed II: Discovery“, also on DS.

So, they both have “by the skin of your teeth“ eligibility, akin to Joker and, until FF7 was on Switch, Cloud (or at least, Altiar did, before the Mii Fighter outfit reveal).

Cloud was in one or two (3)DS games (Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy) before he was added to Smash, similar to Joker and Altaïr.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

iKhan

@DarthNocturnal
My take on the Spirit thing is that if they want to feature a character as a playable part of the game, they are unlikely to feature it as a spirit before that happens.

I suppose that if the new set of DLC fighters was decided after the game launched though, then some of the spirits featured between when the game launched and when the new set was decided could be eligible.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

CaterpillarGuy59

Here are my picks for characters I’d want, in no particular order. Not saying these are all possible, or even likely, these are just my wishes

1. Centiskorch - I think it’d be really cool for a more unconventional rep from Pokémon to get in, and I think the strictly not bipedal nature of Centiskorch would make him a really interesting pick for smash

2. Chell - This character doesn’t pass the ”has appeared on a Nintendo console” test, and while interesting, I think there’s a limit to what you can do with the portal gun in a fighting game, but Sakurai has done crazier things before and I love Portal, so

3. Another Mega Man rep - I probably would put Zero or X here, but they’re already in the game as an assist and mii costume so they’re unlikely. I really don’t care who they put in, there’s plenty of alternate Mega Mans such as .Exe and Volnutt, or they could even go for something a bit more crazy like Roll or Sigma

4. Steve - Microsoft and Nintendo have been getting a lot more chummy lately, and no matter your feelings on it, you have to admit that Minecraft is one of the most popular and successful games of all time. At this point, I feel it’s more than earned some representation in smash

5. Ring Fit Girl - I’ve not even played Ring Fit, but it seems to be pretty popular, and idk, I just feel like this could be fun

6. Something out of left field - I want Nintendo to pick something really crazy and dumb again, like Duck Hunt or Piranha Plant, because that’s always fun

Edited on by CaterpillarGuy59

If you like goofballs, then you've found the right person

~ Currently playing: Pokémon Legends: Arceus (Switch), Monster Hunter: World (PS4), Banjo Kazooie (N64 via NSO)

~ Currently watching: The Book of Boba Fett, Link Click, Kaguya-Sama: Love is War, Horimiya

Switch Friend Code: SW-4969-1374-0104 | 3DS Friend Code: 4742-6966-5355

SKTTR

DarthNocturnal wrote:

@SKTTR

I'm still not sold on Spirits deconfirming fighters. The absurdity of the idea that a piece of artwork being featured means the character in the artwork can't join as a fighter... like, really?

But that's why new spirits and costumes get added, to have more popular characters in the game that are not fighters (for different reasons).

The problem is, if they promote one spirit to playable fighter, then everyone wants their picks. And there's just too many of them. I want Chibi-Robo, Saki Amamiya, Elma, Bomberman, Pauline, Shadow the Hedgehog, etc. before any other promotion, just like many want Geno, Isaac, Bandana Waddle Dee, Waluigi, Dixie Kong, Rayman, Shantae, etc. It would be a Smash war.

As long as there's no direct word from Sakurai, all of the 1379 spirits (except Rex) are only eligible for a Smash sequel, but not for Smash Ultimate or Smash Ultimate DLC. We'll have to wait and see if anything changes with the start of Fighters Pass 2.

Edited on by SKTTR

Harmonie

I can see that characters made as Spirits were obviously not planned to be made playable for the base-game, but I don't understand how they it disconfirms them from being made playable for DLC. Especially because now we're talking about an unprecedented second round of DLC characters that are logically going to be more disconnected from what decisions were made for the base-game.

Spirits are such a basic thing and having the existing Spirit remain in the game while the character becomes playable would pretty much contradict nothing. And let me remind everyone that we're talking about a game series where characters appear in other roles in-game that really logically should have disconfirmed them much more than spirits. Namely Toon Link appearing in the train stage (he is swapped out when Toon Link is played) and Chrom appearing in a Final Smash.

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

iKhan

@Harmonie

Think about it this way, they released a set of Resident Evil spirits a month ago. Why would they do that if they planned on including Leon as DLC later this year? It's fairly clear that the purpose of that spirit event was to pay homage to the RE series.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Harmonie

@iKhan Yeah, I'd say you have to take it on a case-by-case basis. Introducing a third party franchise by spirits post-base game is substantial and isn't the same as spirits introduced in the base-game. Certainly that means that Resident Evil's chances of a playable character don't look good at all. I can agree with that logic.

But you see the circumstances can change very easily. Like I'd say that Pokemon Sword/Shield's characters being introduced via spirits doesn't necessarily disqualify the chances of a Gen 8 playable character in DLC.

It's all on a case-by-case basis. I'd say for sure, any characters who are spirits in the base-game are fair game for becoming playable in the DLC. My point isn't that Spirits can never indicate that a character/series isn't likely to be represented otherwise, just that the status of being a Spirit alone does not disqualify a character in any meaningful way.

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

IceClimbers

I think they'll find a balance between their cross-marketing reasons and pleasing fans for this pass.

So my predictions are based on that:

1. Travis Touchdown (NMH3 marketing!)
2. Sora (heavily requested worldwide, could promote KH ports)
3. Doom Slayer (promotes Doom Eternal, iconic franchise)
4. Dante (promotes DMC, fan favorite)
5. Ryu Hayabusa (promotes Koei Tecmo, has history with Nintendo)
6. Urshifu (Sword/Shield Expansion Pass promotion)

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

iKhan

Honestly I can't see another set of 6 DLC fighters without another Bandai Namco rep. Of BN's franchises, I'd say the most likely are Digimon, Dark Souls, Tekken, Soul Calibur, and Tales. I'm sorry but Katamari and Klonoa are not significant enough to warrant a fighter. The only other BN franchises that might have a small shot at Smash are Xenosaga and Baten Kaitos just because they are Monolithsoft developed properties.

Edited on by iKhan

link3710

@iKhan Man I hope so. I'd be excited for Agumon (or any other Digimon but Agumon seems most likely), Lloyd, King, most of SC's cast, the Prince, Klonoa, KOS-MOS or Kalas without question!

Of course, that means inevitably we'll get Heihachi or... Whoever would rep Dark Souls.

link3710

link3710

@StephanDLW Rayman seems almost a given since we got Ubisoft mii fighter costumes and not Rayman, who's their most requested character by far. Of course, taking anything as a given is super dangerous but...

Anyways, I don't see why Rex couldn't be considered, especially since Sakurai said he wanted to include him but couldn't due to time constraints on the DLC. Or perhaps Pyra/Mythra as a character?

link3710

kkslider5552000

What I want:

-Rayman
-Lloyd Irving
-8th gen Pokemon
-Nightmare from Soul Calibur
-Travis Touchdown
-Geno

8th gen Pokemon just feels inevitable so why not? Replace with Crash if that isn't inevitable, it would be the best Sony representation despite not being Sony tbh.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

link3710

@StephanDLW According to what Sakurai said at the time Rex launched, XC2's character designs weren't finalized at the time they were selecting the base roster. He specifically hinted that games announced after selection couldn't make the base roster. We then proceeded to get Byleth, who was one of those characters.

So it's quite possible at least.

Quote:

https://amp.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_Chronicles/comments/9tmffc...

link3710

SKTTR

Six true icons of gaming for six new Smash fighters.

1. DOOM Marine (DOOM, 1993)

Grandfather of the first person shooter (and yes, I know Wolfenstein is too, but DOOM is a better representation, the better game, way more popular, and the less controversial one). DOOM (and Wolfenstein) were ported to SNES. DOOM 64 was a fantastic game as well, and a Nintendo 64 exclusive for more than 20 years. Now on Switch, every official DOOM game is playable. Master Chief is not in the same league, has no Nintendo representation, and if we get another Microsoft character, then hopefully more Rareware ones like Conker, Fulgore, and Joanna Dark.

2. Purple Tentacle (Maniac Mansion, 1987)

Grandfather of point & click adventures. Some may say Guybrush Threepwood from Monkey Island, but nothing is as iconic as Purple Tentacle who was in the first game, in the sequel which is also the best point & click game (The Day of the Tentacle), and even in a SNES game (Bonus level of Zombies Ate My Neighbours) and the inofficial third game Thimbleweed Park that's also available on Switch. Also, Maniac Mansion was ported to NES twice! I'd main him.

3. Pete (Harvest Moon, 1996)

Harvest Moon made videogame farming popular. The very first Harvest Moon games were on SNES and Game Boy and countless others appeared on Nintendo systems (and other systems) throughout the years. We don't have a farmer in Smash yet, we don't have a Marvelous/Natsume rep yet, and farming games are now bigger than ever before.

4. Bub & Bob (Bubble Bobble, 1986)

Honestly, for Taito there's nothing more iconic than Space Invaders, but a Space Invader wouldn't make a good Smash fighter. But with Bubble Bobble that is also a very iconic and long-running series (that has its newest game available on Switch as well) they could have a stage where the Space Invaders appear (since the Space Invader is a regular enemy in the Bubble Bobble series). Bub & Bob would represent Bubble Bobble, Puzzle Bobble, Rainbow Islands, and Space Invaders, four Taito franchises in one.

5. Steve (Minecraft, 2009)

Do I really need to explain? Steve doesn't need to be a fighter (Microsoft has better reps, all from Rareware, as I explained earlier), but a Mii Costume would suffice. It's strange that Sakurai put a Cuphead Mii costume over a Steve Mii costume.

6. Lara Croft (Tomb Raider, 1996)

Biggest Playstation icon ever, that spawned countless sequels and movies. Lara was on the front cover of magazines that had nothing to do with videogames, she was in music clips, she was everywhere. She appeared on Nintendo consoles later, with at least two good games on Wii.

Edited on by SKTTR

NintendoByNature

Although i dont see it happening, Mariam from bloodstained would be cool. She's not a whip wielder and her move set could be pretty different from the Belmonts.

NintendoByNature

Sisilly_G

I hope we get a DOOM monster as opposed to DOOM Guy. I feel that the Smash roster already has too few non-human characters. The inclusion of the Cyberdemon, Spider Mastermind, Cacodemon, or Pinky would be amazing (and are perhaps the most recognisable of DOOM monsters), but the Revenant would probably have the most flexible moveset of all DOOM monsters, with its ability to fly, launch seeking missiles, and of course its charming punching attack, though they would obviously have to downplay if not completely remove the blood/gore from its pelvic region in order to keep the game family-friendly (similar to how they have downplayed Bayonetta a bit).

Plus, it would be cool to a skeletal character in the cast as there is currently no such character on the roster.

If they were to include DOOM Guy, I imagine that he would be a glorified echo variant of Samus.

The Baron of Hell would be a cool inclusion as well, but considering the U.S.'s archaic aversion to the word "hell" (and the possible outcry that its inclusion would attract in the States), I can't see that happening. Case in point, the U.S.'s "Concentration Training" to Australia/Europe's "Devilish Brain Training".

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

link3710

@SKTTR I can't tell if you're joking or not. I mean, okay, I'd be on the Guybrush over Purple Tentacle bus (or Manny over either of them), but honestly if we got those six characters I'd be super happy.

Anyways, Lara is one of the top female characters in the industry, and I'd really love to see her, Chell, KOS-MOS, Joanna or Jill make it in. Nooot that Chell, KOS-MOS or Jill stand a chance as things are going right now. But I'd say all of them rank up there with the characters we've been receiving (well maybe not KOS-MOS but) in terms of their impact. Or Tracer, Overwatch isn't anything to be scoffed at.

Also, I'm curious if anyone from LucasArts would even be possible considering Disney?

link3710

SKTTR

@link3710

What makes you think I'm joking. It's just the 6 most iconic videogame characters I can think of that have a history within Nintendo and gaming as a whole.

I would have also ranked Jill/Leon, but that would be the same situation as Tetris. And I think Tetris is definately the most important of all deconfirmed ones. Maybe I should have switched the Tetrominos with Harvest Moon Pete, since that one isn't deconfirmed and brought farm games to big popularity back on the SNES in 1996. Yeah, I will edit my post and put Pete in.

Of course any character that originated in a videogame is still possible, even if they're now owned by Disney.

Edited on by SKTTR

link3710

@SKTTR Did you or did you not have a winky face up at the top. Cause that was why I thought you were joking. No wait that was on the post above, somehow I saw it as being on yours.

link3710

Sisilly_G

While Tetromino would be a funny and offbeat inclusion, it would also be a sad waste of a slot (what kind of moveset would it even have?). It would make a lot more sense as an assist trophy instead, though Nintendo would also have to pay royalties to include it, which may not be worthwhile as part of a free update (and Nintendo has been especially stingy with monetising additional Smash content).

Maybe a Mii costume pack that allows you to dress Miis up as any of the Tetrominos?

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic