Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Posts 2,961 to 2,980 of 3,857

PikPi

Geez Louise, the final boss fight is truly a test of patience, but also super cool and satisfying to play. Though it has shown me how useful dark samus/Samus can be

PikPi

EvilLucario

@ReaderRagfish Wii U also removed that feature sadly. A shame since it was one of my most favorite parts of the UI lol.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

DarthNocturnal

@NEStalgia

Emphasis on “old“. First session was fine, but in a later session, my controller died... with fresh batteries. Turns out the on/ off button might be a bit fickle. And the stick has had sticking/ drifting issues from time to time, even back when I used it on the Gamecube (after several years of extended use, of course). Might just need some cleaning, but yeah, reliability is under question. I do have a 2nd, much less used one, however.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

RedderRugfish

My Wavebird has always worked perfectly aside from the aforementioned Switch lag. The battery life is great too, I haven't changed them in over a year.

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

scubydo

@Seacliff yeah, but I am not sure which character you are referencing

RPG, FPS, Adventure,Action...oh I like 'em all!

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

NEStalgia

It's such a shame the powera gcn manages to hurt my hand in one spot where the handle rubs. I like playing with it, but i can't do it long and go back to pro (not sure i do any better or worse with either). I have a wireless powera on the way, but gs let me order it a week ago, never shipped it, and now it's "not available online" so it may be a month before i actually get it. I have the wiiu era gcn controller somewhere but I'm not sure where. I got the smash 4 controller bundle and basically never played smash 4....

NEStalgia

HobbitGamer

@NEStalgia You’ve got some rough luck ordering games.
Dunno if you’ve tried it, but I’ve gotten some comfort on my Pro by setting the stick sensitivity to high. I end up keeping from whacking the sticks about like a C64 keyboard 😂

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Beedrill4Smash

After 16 hours, I have finished WoL, and I can't say I'm the biggest fan of this adventure.

My major gripe with WoL is its length. By the time I had reached 8 hours, I was beginning to burn out from what felt like an endless amount of battles, but I still had about half the adventure left. By the last fight, I was more happy about it being over than an admittedly enjoyable "true" ending. I only need about 5% to 100% WoL, and I likely won't bother.

I think the cut scenes were also rather disappointing. Not for the general lack or scale of the cut scenes, but the focus of them. Instead of focusing on characters that I've loved for many years now, the cut scenes are all about Galeem. It would have been impossible to give every character in the game a healthy amount of time while making an interesting story, but I don't think focusing on an uninteresting, at least in my opinion, antagonist to be a satisfying alternative.

Having said that, I do believe Subspace to be the better adventure mode. Subspace had platforming sections, a varied assortment of cut scenes, and the regular fighting we all know and love in a Smash game. Sure, the platforming wasn't the best, and outright poor in some areas, but it allowed the fighters to function within the game that wasn't fighting. This was Subspace's greatest strength in my eyes, a healthy mix of varied level types and a, albeit shallow, story. I should make it clear, however, that Subspace ain't no spring chicken, and, after a recent play through before Ultimate came out, my nostalgia goggles were promptly removed to show how truly mediocre Subspace was.

WoL, on the other hand, only has you fighting battle after battle ad nauseam. Fighting is without question the best part of smash, but I would have appreciated some varied game play. And, in WoL's case, this fact worked against the adventure mode. If the only thing in WoL is fighting, then why don't I just go play some battles in normal Smash where I can play with me preferred rules? I suppose the spirits weren't enough to keep me interested.

Well, there's the equivalent of my life story dedicated to my thoughts on WoL.
TLDR: I think Subspace is better than WoL, but both aren't that good to begin with.

Edited on by Beedrill4Smash

Beedrill4Smash

NEStalgia

@JackEatsSparrows lol. Not the first time gs let me order something they didn't really have. My first pro controller went the same exact way. Should have taken it as a sign, the thing didn't last a year.

Yeah, stick whacking is awful. Otoh i enjoy the rumble. Gcn keeps hurting... The little fleshy pad on the palm right below the pinky and ring fingers get red and that feeling of early blister building like I've been wielding the weed whacker or digging with shovels for an hour... Not sure why... No tough spots. Maybe oem doesnt do that. But..... Where is my oem? And my wireless?

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

@Beedrill4Smash Honestly imo, WoL is automatically better than Subspace purely by the basis that it does focuses on the fights, being a spruced up Event Mode that has so many different combinations that fit the characters, even with multiple repeating conditions. WoL very much follows the BotW/Odyssey formula of having a wealth of content by using a comparatively little pool of conditions, that being Korok seeds and the 880 Moons which share similar goals, only it does it better by really tailoring each Spirit to as unique of a fight as possible which you cannot get from preferred rules, even in Special Smash.

What gets me, though, is that some people I follow seem to hate WoL but love the Spirit Board, which I find extremely hilarious because both are literally the same thing, except in WoL you have the skill tree and in the Spirit Board you have consumable items.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

NEStalgia

@EvilLucario don't get me wrong, I'm loving wol, but i do still think subspace, at least in concept, implementation aside given its quite old now and didn't age perfectly, is better by being something DIFFERENT do do with the systems in the game rather than just arena fights. Like tekken bowling, it's absence and sale as dlc on tekken7 actually netted lower scores in many reviews. Something different to do with the systems can count for lot.

Still, i love wol land will be depressed when it's over.

@Beedrill4Smash i largely agree with your about subspace, though i am almost equally addicted to wol

NEStalgia

Undead_terror

I got world of light 100% completed and all 124 challenges done, I still need to get around to beating classic with everyone.

Another thing I wonder is why is there some songs you can't use for anything. That horrible smash 64 menu theme can't be selected for the menu or a stage, yet you can buy it...unless it is just there to listen to.

Sp00ky scary skeleton back to play games and dew other fine things indead!
The Graveyard (Backloggery) l Nintendo ID: Undead_terror

Switch Friend Code: SW-8251-5734-1036 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-2878-6360 | My Nintendo: Undead_terror | Nintendo Network ID: Undead_terror | Twitter:

Beedrill4Smash

@EvilLucario I think my biggest issue is that the spirit battles simply aren't to my preferred type of battle, and there isn't anything wrong with that, of course, but I can't help but feel somewhat underwhelmed. I will freely admit to being the type of player who dislikes items and only wants to battle on final destinations. I don't see WoL as a waste of time, far from it, and there are definitely some great moments to be had. The bosses, excluding Galeem, for the most part, were IMO the best part of WoL with the series specific areas being a very close second.

I do think @NEStalgia said it best. In general, I'll admit that WoL is the better adventure for a Smash game mostly because Brawl feels awful compared to Ultimate. In CONCEPT, however, Subspace IMO easily beats WoL.

Beedrill4Smash

Henmii

Now that I have quite some hours locked in its time for a short opinion:

Pros: Gigantic roster, including some new characters
Classic mode with different routes and endbosses
Old and new music
Lots of items
Beautiful graphics
Good controls and a overall strong feel
Gigantic level-roster...
Adventure mode is big and fun, so is the Spirit board
Adventure mode has a cool, big overworld-map with lots of secrets
Collecting Spirits is fun and there are many obscure ones!

Cons:

Smaller challenge list, some locked to online
Spirits should have some descriptions, I like those
All those Spirit battles are basically event-matches with the same objective, no "avoiding certain characters, preventing Fox for calling back-up, etc"
No break the targets, no home run contest
Almost no new stages
To few cutscenes in adventure mode, and overall the Subspace was better

But overall I am quite happy, and getting every Spirit will take a huge time (I might get bored after a while though). I couldn't sample every character so far though, but King Rool and Simon Belmont are awesome!

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

Grumblevolcano

Not certain but I think you can complete the online section of challenges just by using hammers rather than actually paying for Nintendo Switch Online.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

GyroZeppeli

You can use hammers on any event, including those for online.

Please notify me if you want to add me on Switch before sending a request. It makes my life easier.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6148-2681-7704

Joeynator3000

Well, aside from the ones with a padlock on it, doubt the online section has those, though.

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/joeynator3001

EvilLucario

Adventure Mode has some of those locked boards, yeah.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic