Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Posts 2,521 to 2,540 of 4,508

NEStalgia

@Delibheel i have Curry. Tried the whole roster. I'm on my 60 somthingth try. Barely get him to 1/3 health. Can't even damage him more than 15% with puff.... It's infuriating. Hours of trying again and again. I need get 2 attacks in, he gets like 4 grabs.

NEStalgia

Eel

@NEStalgia try quipping a level 99 primal groudon, he gives fire resistance and has a respectable power level.

Then try to play it safe with a good jumper so you can go around him. If you notice he's charging his up smash while you're above him then dodge immediately out of danger.

Use aereals and ranged attacks and go in and out so you don't stay close to him for too long.

Don't rush it, go bit by bit.

If you have a spirit that gives a bottled fairy, you can also try to equip it and use special moves so you don't throw the bottle by accident. It will automatically cure you once you hit 100% damage.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Cynas

I pretty much played the entire adventure mode as Simon/Richter and I never noticed you can hold down A (or whatever your neutral attack is assigned to) to make him hold out his whip, then you can control it with the left analog stick. It's kinda fun to make a spiral of death.

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

Joeynator3000

Okay, video is up...just a small profanity warning at the very beginning. It's not a very big deal, though. (it's just text, lol)

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

HobbitGamer

@ReaderRagfihs You’re Eastern Time, right? I may be available for some fights between 1230-130, then I’m not home till 5

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

GeoChrome

Just noticed that the city where the gym is located is a giant reference to Nintendo’s past consoles.

Reading: Too much
Watching: Not enough
Playing: SMTV

Switch Friend Code: SW-6148-2681-7704

NEStalgia

@Delibheel I did manage to finally beat him. It took over an hour and well over 60 tries It was awful. Almost made me just walk away from the game. I don't have any LV99 spirits yet. Not far on a few of them, 70's or so, but no 99s. I ended up doing it with Capt. Falcon (which is funny since I never use him), Rabid Mario (only one slot but jump up (superstar)), and some other support spirit with jump up (superstar.) I usually rely on the auto select for spirits up to a point....this time it never suggested fire resist. And kept suggesting Yarn Yoshi (weight down) which seems odd considering the spike up attack. Basically smash attacks, even flicks seemed to do twice the damage of even Falcon Punch or any tilt special. So I'd get one or two smash's in, then jump high to avoid whatever attack (and luckily went off the level and hung on the edge a while with 2 fire attacks.) That was painful. Glad it's over but it leaves me afraid of whats to come.

Also, how DO you play Jigglypuff? I can damage nothing significantly...the tilt specials all seem impossible to use. Sing works sometimes but sleep still never seems to do anything.

@JackEatsSparrows So GS shipped my wireless GCN. The same day I ordered a wireless GCN from Target since that wasn't going to arrive. They will arrive on the same day. Ugh. Maybe I should scalp it, they're up to $140 on Amazon. My wired PowerA GCN got me through giga bowser (and didn't break at the abuse....) So I'm sold...though the pro really is nicer in most ways. I never noticed how floppy the sticks are until I tried the GCN. Great for shooters and 3rd party action games though. GCN will have to be for Smash and Bayo3

NEStalgia

Eel

@NEStalgia you can level up your spirits by feeding them in the spirits menu.

Jigglypuff is an all around easy character to use. Specially effective against large fighters.

During regular non boss battles, Rest (down B) is your easy kill button. You NEED to make direct contact with your enemy for this attack to do anything. Just being next to them is not enough, try to jump into the enemy.

Landing a Rest will launch your opponent, usually killing them instantly when around 60-so%, but even before that it will give them the flower status, which constantly damages them. You will remain asleep for like a second or two after using it, so it's important to use it wisely and time things correctly, because you can be easily punished for misusing it. Large enemies have larger hitboxes, which means landing a Rest is easier on them.

Never use it unless there's ground below you, because you will fall to your doom otherwise.

Sing (up B) is rather fun to use as long as you don't forget it's not a recovery move. The more damaged your enemy is, the longer it will stay asleep. This will be your chance to jump in with a Rest, or to charge a smash attack. This move is specially effective against single targets, and new character challengers are specially affected by it, for some reason they just really love walking into you.

Pound (side B) always does around 15%, has a relatively large hitbox, and can end up trapping your opponent for a while if you continually use it. You can also use it to extend your horizontal recovery a bit if you use it between jumps. It is very strong against shields.

Rollout (neutral B) is stronger this time around. Just charge it a bit and let go, you'll hit hard. You can also change directions while you roll. Just make sure you don't go flying off the stage, it's very easy to end up KO-ing yourself if you use it carelessly.

As for other moves, Jigglypuffs aereals are all rather good, and having so many jumps you will probably spend a lot of time airborne.

Don't overuse the shield, unlike other characters, Jigglypuff has a bad side effect if you break it's shield. If it breaks, you will very likely lose a life unless there's a hard roof above you.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

HobbitGamer

@NEStalgia Now you have me wondering about that PowerA. Do you use the wireless one?
And you’re def gonna want to get some 99s when u unlock the gym, sort your spirits by Condition. Ones with a red arrow thing on the card level up faster.

Gigs Bowser is rough, but there are so many more nightmares to come in your future. Ness and Lucas also are good aerial fighters due the the float fall they have.

@ReaderRagfihs After the way this morning has gone, I’m definitely ready to smash things lol

Edited on by HobbitGamer

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NEStalgia

@Delibheel That sounds like a very technical character. I've been trying to play everyone, but Yoshi, Pikachu, Lucario, Kirby seem to be my most used (so far.) Mii Swordfighter is cheat button for horde battles though.

One thing I chronically underuse is shield/dodge. I'm almost always offensive or evasive.....most matches I never even shield at all. I also very very very rarely attempt grabs. It's so risky.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@JackEatsSparrows Right now I have the wired one. Wireless arrives in a day or two (two of them, now, apparently.....thank's for your helpful order update information GameStop!)

There's mixed reports about the "feel" of the PowerAs. Some say it feels just like OEM, some say it feels a little off, and cramped. I do find it cramped, but I'm getting used to it now and don't mind, and I can't compare to OEM because I can't find my WiiU edition OEM & adapter, so that might be the legit original feel. The PowerA has the start/select/home/capture buttons though which is nice. The joysticks and buttons feel genuine though. Note the ZR/ZL (yes they have ZR and ZL are bigger and nicer than OEM, but are not analog so you need to depress down to the click to activate (a least on wired.) Some hate that, some don't mind. The wired one is also light....really light...there's nothing inside but an empty plastic housing and a tiny circuit board. Wireless gets batteries to add weight. Apparently it has motion control inside for other games, but no rumble.

Personally the Pro feels like a much more solid, premium piece of equipment, and fits more comfortably in the hand. Going from the plastic toy GCN/PowerA to the Pro feels like going from a Radio Flyer wagon to a Mercedes. BUT the button layout of GCN works so nice for Smash, and most importantly the stiffer sticks and octagonal gates can be helpful. I probably do as well with either, and I miss HD rumble and the solid feel of Pro with the GCN/PowerA, but it's really fun to play on

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@ReaderRagfihs Everything jigglypuff SOUNDS like I'd love it. And yet I can't damage a thing with it

NEStalgia

HobbitGamer

@NEStalgia Hmm. The trade off of rumble holds me back for now. I really like feedback in my controllers, and I’ve done Smash 4 with the WiiU pro anyway. Think I’ll just stick with Switch Pro awhile.
I typically play rush offense, too. I’ve gotten better at aerial dodging but that only came about after many panicked button presses.

#MudStrongs

Alantor28

On my birthday yesterday, I got Super Smash Bros Ultimate as a payment (Not a birthday present, mind you.) for November. And I am thinking of starting on Adventure Mode. I have a few questions about that mode.

If I rescue and unlock a fighter in Adventure Mode, will that fighter also be unlocked in the main game outside of Adventure mode?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698
PSN: MMX20

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698

HobbitGamer

@ReaderRagfihs Grrrr still no dice.
Try finding cheeseplz
72HVY

#MudStrongs

HobbitGamer

Lol that was awesome. Friggin Fishstick

#MudStrongs

HobbitGamer

@ReaderRagfihs Yeah, Sorry. Forgot about a 130 conference call and I’m at a coffee shop lol

#MudStrongs

HobbitGamer

@ReaderRagfihs yesss twas fun. That Swordfighter is a beast with those specials. It was like McDonalds with all them combos.
I thought item was defaulted on medium, gonna have to put that bugger on low in the future. They must’ve changed drop rates, though it was the only reason my Brawler lived so long 😂

#MudStrongs

NEStalgia

@JackEatsSparrows Yeah, I do miss the HD rumble in my controls when using the GCN....it's a neat, subtle addition.

IIRC none of the remade GCN controllers have rumble motors, not even the official OEM ones. Only genuine original GCN controllers circa 2000 have rumble motors. That may be due to cost cutting, or it may be due to the eSports focus. Often eSports players don't want the extra weight or possible negative impact of movement on the controller, and competitive focused controller brands like Scuf specialize in removing or including only as options, the rumble motors. The $200 Scuf Vantage Wireless for PS4 has user removable motors....the competitive crowd usually opts to remove them. GCN controllers are very focused toward competitive Smashers.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic