Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Posts 2,461 to 2,480 of 3,742

Manah

Getting preorders on release day still seems to be wishful thinking despite the store's website explicitly stating you "can be sure" to get it. Tomorrow, maybe.

RedderRugfish

Played for about 5 hours so far, and here's my first nitpick: the stage boundaries are big and you take forever to die in this game. A powerful attack even at 150% usually isn't enough.

Online works pretty well though. Occasionally you get some lag depending on the opponent, but it's usually fine.

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

Ryu_Niiyama

Geez I thought 4/5 looked good. I have not played docked yet and it looks fantastic.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

RedderRugfish

Looks like the servers are undergoing maintenance right now.

Mountain_Man

So how is it? Worth selling my 3DS for?

(Disclaimer: I haven't touched in my 3DS since getting a Switch.)

The Mountain Man

Ralizah

@subpopz This is the first major Switch game since BotW that honestly looks just as good in handheld mode as it does on the TV to me. Everything is so crisp and colorful!

@Mountain_Man Are you really never going to want to replay those 3DS games again?

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

NEStalgia

So my initial thoughts after playing for like 50 minutes while waaay too drowsy at midnight. It looks GORGEOUS. After the iffy graphics close-up of Starlink, MHGU, and XC2, my last 3 Switch games, this stands toe to toe with the X1X games. Not at at DF level of inspection but just feel and impression.

Everything about the feel of it and play of it feels great. It reminds me how much fun I had with Brawl and makes me feel like Smash 4 was just plain bad. Nothing felt exciting about playing that and I effectively never did, despite owning WiiU and 3DS versions.

I tried only Classic (didin't have time for WoL or online.) I picked out my traditional main, Yoshi. I remembered rapidly how bad I suck at this game. I fell into the hazards and died several times by the third map. The stupid smash balls still destroy me more then the enemy whenever I use them. However I discovered "fluffy texture" Yoshi. I now must forever main Fuzzy Yoshi. That's too cute to not play. I can say the Rathalos boss battle is fantastic....can't wait to see the other boss battles! It felt almost like playing MH. Give Yoshi a GL...or HH....either will do. The roar stun was a nice touch.

Only thing with smash is.....it feels like all I can do is the a button attacks, and whatever specials are on the B buttons. Having been getting more into games like Tekken it feels very very......simple. I keep expecting to break into combos and moves that don't happen, and it gets me killed.

Also, for all you guys not attached to melee, is the Pro controller a great feel for this or is the GCN controller really still ideal? I figured the Pro was the "official" controller now since the bundle has it....but....the giant A button config does feel like it's still so built around the GCN controller......half tempted to re-buy a GCN for it...but....the wireless ones cost as much as a Pro almost....so it's wiser to just buy a spare Pro. Hard to decide.

Also, there are some glitches in the game that surprise me. Ridley in Yoshi's second map gets stuck under the ledge almost every match...he does nothing but try to jump up and can't.....making him easy pickings. Then in one round bowser never even attacked.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Ralizah When you play docked, are you playing on a TV far away or a monitor close up? I find not very many Switch games look all that great docked when sitting close to a monitor....there's either blur, or shimmering jaggies everwhere....or both (I got spoiled by Supersampling on consoles I guess.) But BOTW, Odyssey, Smash, Arms and Splatoon all look great. XC2 is a blurry mess on the monitor close up.

NEStalgia

RedderRugfish

@NEStalgia I played with Joy Cons in handheld mode in my room last night to not disturb anyone. It was fine. Then I played with my Gamecube controller this morning and I like it much better.

Although I guess that doesn't really answer you question since I don't own a pro controller.

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Both, depending on where the dock is. XC2 looks amazing on the TV from the couch AND close up to a computer monitor (within reason, obviously: a 720p game could always look sharper on the TV).

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

GyroZeppeli

@Mountain_Man If you have finished the games on the 3DS that you wanted to finish and don’t see any reason for keeping it, go for it.

Edited on by GyroZeppeli

Please notify me if you want to add me on Switch before sending a request. It makes my life easier.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6148-2681-7704

PikPi

NEStalgia wrote:

Everything about the feel of it and play of it feels great. It reminds me how much fun I had with Brawl and makes me feel like Smash 4 was just plain bad. Nothing felt exciting about playing that and I effectively never did, despite owning WiiU and 3DS versions.

Haha, same here. I always felt Smash 4 felt more like a skeleton of a Smash game. I'm glad to hear from many people that Ultimate seems to rectify that feeling.

PikPi

NEStalgia

@PikPi I'm glad it's not just me. I'm not a "smashcore" fan, just a filthy casual. I don't fan hype for Smash, and kind of greet the announcements with a "meh." But I played the heck out of Brawl (never played Melee or 64.) It was my most played game on Wii (ok, mostly for Subspace Emissary, but still...) I was kind of excited for 4, got into it, bought GCN controllers (which I can't locate now... ), and all, got into it and immediately thought..."this is so boring." I played like an hour, felt very little fun from it, and moved on. I picked up up a few times on and off. Played a few rounds...it was ok but not really that fun or motivating....and moved on. Smashaholic friends I played Splatoon with convinced me to get the 3DS version....it was a little more fun...but still didn't do much for me. The game felt like an empty 1990's fighter with nothing but custom vs. matches overall. I thought I just really didn't like Smash all that much and Brawl just looked good compared to the lack of other things on Wii. But this one instantly brings back the fun of Brawl from the very first Classic fight I played.

I don't know what was wrong with 4 but that game was very very wrong. It was so sterile. If I want sterile, I'll play MvC: Infinite.

NEStalgia

HobbitGamer

@NEStalgia It’s definitely more refreshed and refined than 4. It’s faster, more responsive, and it just feels better. I play docked on a 65” LED UHD from 6-8 feet away and it’s glorious. The spirit board alone is addictive cause I keep thinking “oh, that one!” And Classic is great. I’ve unlocked up to Jigglypuff now, and played an online match with 4 players that was so smooth I thought peeps were on my couch.
This is Ultimate, for sure

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Ralizah

I kind of hate Link's new bomb, and the grab seems to have less range, but his normal attacks feel like they're hitting way harder. Particularly the dash attack.

@GameOtaku I'll grind that hope of yours down into a fine powder of despair.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

NEStalgia

@HobbitGamer How is the Spirit Board? It sounds to me like it's just a giant WoL spoiler so I didn't mess with it. And classic goes pretty well (I love the bosses and bonus minigame )

I don't know about faster but it feels very visceral and slick. 4 felt really....I dunno....floaty? Off? Dull? I would be happy erasing 4 from having existed at this point, except we can't lose the Iwata v Reggie video.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Brawl felt floatier than 4. But yes, Smash Ultimate indeed feels visceral. I think the stylized approach is part of it. Getting that slowed down, zoomed in moment when you smash someone particularly hard is always satisfying.

Ralizah

HobbitGamer

@Ralizah Yeah, that bomb is gonna be used far less by me for awhile. Imagine my surprise when I tried a hook shot ledge recovery.... His side smash follow up and run slash are definitely buffed for sure. I love it. I didn’t realize till last night just how small his hit box range felt in 4.
@NEStalgia I wouldn’t say that Board is a spoiler completely, but I have had one battle that I later came across in WoL. So YMMV on that opinion. But the more spirits you collect, the more slots for Board open so that’s cool

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NEStalgia

@Ralizah You're right, Brawl was floatier....yet felt better. I'm not sure what it was that was just wrong with 4, but it felt like a sort of generic clone of itself, like nothing mattered, it was just quarters into the cabinet. This game hooked me as fun from the first battle. 4 never really felt fun. It was just kind of "there." I understand how the whole "Melee forever" mentality at the time.

Then again I'm so casual I can't remember how to do a charged-up attack

@HobbitGamer I think I'll avoid Spirit Board and focus on WoL and Classic then. I mean with 100+ characters it's not as though I'll make it through even Classic in my lifetime

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic