Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Posts 2,021 to 2,040 of 4,507

NEStalgia

@PikPi I'm glad it's not just me. I'm not a "smashcore" fan, just a filthy casual. I don't fan hype for Smash, and kind of greet the announcements with a "meh." But I played the heck out of Brawl (never played Melee or 64.) It was my most played game on Wii (ok, mostly for Subspace Emissary, but still...) I was kind of excited for 4, got into it, bought GCN controllers (which I can't locate now... ), and all, got into it and immediately thought..."this is so boring." I played like an hour, felt very little fun from it, and moved on. I picked up up a few times on and off. Played a few rounds...it was ok but not really that fun or motivating....and moved on. Smashaholic friends I played Splatoon with convinced me to get the 3DS version....it was a little more fun...but still didn't do much for me. The game felt like an empty 1990's fighter with nothing but custom vs. matches overall. I thought I just really didn't like Smash all that much and Brawl just looked good compared to the lack of other things on Wii. But this one instantly brings back the fun of Brawl from the very first Classic fight I played.

I don't know what was wrong with 4 but that game was very very wrong. It was so sterile. If I want sterile, I'll play MvC: Infinite.

NEStalgia

HobbitGamer

@NEStalgia It’s definitely more refreshed and refined than 4. It’s faster, more responsive, and it just feels better. I play docked on a 65” LED UHD from 6-8 feet away and it’s glorious. The spirit board alone is addictive cause I keep thinking “oh, that one!” And Classic is great. I’ve unlocked up to Jigglypuff now, and played an online match with 4 players that was so smooth I thought peeps were on my couch.
This is Ultimate, for sure

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Ralizah

I kind of hate Link's new bomb, and the grab seems to have less range, but his normal attacks feel like they're hitting way harder. Particularly the dash attack.

@GameOtaku I'll grind that hope of yours down into a fine powder of despair.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

NEStalgia

@HobbitGamer How is the Spirit Board? It sounds to me like it's just a giant WoL spoiler so I didn't mess with it. And classic goes pretty well (I love the bosses and bonus minigame )

I don't know about faster but it feels very visceral and slick. 4 felt really....I dunno....floaty? Off? Dull? I would be happy erasing 4 from having existed at this point, except we can't lose the Iwata v Reggie video.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Brawl felt floatier than 4. But yes, Smash Ultimate indeed feels visceral. I think the stylized approach is part of it. Getting that slowed down, zoomed in moment when you smash someone particularly hard is always satisfying.

HobbitGamer

@Ralizah Yeah, that bomb is gonna be used far less by me for awhile. Imagine my surprise when I tried a hook shot ledge recovery.... His side smash follow up and run slash are definitely buffed for sure. I love it. I didn’t realize till last night just how small his hit box range felt in 4.
@NEStalgia I wouldn’t say that Board is a spoiler completely, but I have had one battle that I later came across in WoL. So YMMV on that opinion. But the more spirits you collect, the more slots for Board open so that’s cool

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NEStalgia

@Ralizah You're right, Brawl was floatier....yet felt better. I'm not sure what it was that was just wrong with 4, but it felt like a sort of generic clone of itself, like nothing mattered, it was just quarters into the cabinet. This game hooked me as fun from the first battle. 4 never really felt fun. It was just kind of "there." I understand how the whole "Melee forever" mentality at the time.

Then again I'm so casual I can't remember how to do a charged-up attack

@HobbitGamer I think I'll avoid Spirit Board and focus on WoL and Classic then. I mean with 100+ characters it's not as though I'll make it through even Classic in my lifetime

NEStalgia

Ralizah

Has anybody gotten their extra 300 gold coins for digitally preordering Smash Ultimate yet?

Ralizah

@subpopz Yeah... it might not be a huge amount of credit, but I still want what was promised to me. I'll keep an eye on this. Also, we don't need to watch out for any codes for the piranha plant if we got it digitally, right? That's the impression I got from the message at the start of the game.

@NEStalgia Maybe you were just tired of the Wii U at that point? Smash 4 was still a fun game, felt snappier than Brawl, and had a wealth of content to uncover. Ultimate does feel better, but not significantly. At least, in my opinion.

link3710

@Ralizah I dunno, I agree about 4 missing something. The gameplay wasn't as addictive as melee, the modes weren't as good as Brawl. It's the one that drew me in the least as well, and I put probably over a thousand hours into Brawl+Melee, while under a hundred in Smash 4. Ultimate will definitely be another huge one for me, I can already tell. The game is just so much more fun without basically any landing lag every time you hit the ground. Plus, World of Light is way more fun than any mode in Wii U.

link3710

NEStalgia

@Ralizah IIRC with Mario Tennis, the extra coins didn't show up right away either. You still need the code for the Pirhanna. I pre-ordered the first few days it was up for pre-order and got the code a few days later and entered it. It's entered in the store as a code for purchased DLC.

Nah, wasn't tired of WiiU, that was still the early days and the best was ahead of it. I think I just yawned at Smash 4 and returned to Hyrule Heroes, and then Twilight Princess HD. XCX and TMS#FE (Best RPG ever!) and Splatoon (my addiction for a full year, unlike Smash4) were still on the way at that point. I was miffed though because with the controllers it was an expensive game!

@link3710 Yeah it's hard to put a finger on what was wrong with it, but....it was just kinda "there."

NEStalgia

Ralizah

Glad I asked about that code. Apparently it has just been sitting in my spam folder since last month!

RDBC1983

Damn this game looks so good in handheld mode!

RDBC1983

SuperWeird

Why are the Mii fighters a pixelated fuzzy mess? Why aren't they 1080p like the rest of the character models? They look really bad on screen when you win a match and they show the Mii fighter image vs your opponent. Hideous graphics.

I actually think the artwork in general could be more refined. Some of the character models look like they recently stepped out an N64 game, see DK for example. Compared to Tropical Freeze he looks pretty bad.

SuperWeird

HobbitGamer

Just played some with Ganondorf. OMG he walks slower but he can sure pack a wallop!!

#MudStrongs

SwitchForce

@subpopz so how did you register your game just doing the Switch coin registration is that all it takes? I look for instructions but it's not straight forward.

SwitchForce

NEStalgia

@Ralizah lol, yeah, it think mine had gone to spam as well.

@SuperWeird if i were to guess, the mii models are the original Wii models since they're generated on the fly. I don't imagine they could redo the entire mii engine just for smash, but removing them would mean everyone wasnt here.

NEStalgia

SwitchForce

So to register for the Piranha Plant Code you just do the "My Nintendo Rewards Program" and that should be all you do to verify and get the code to your registered email on your Nintendo account?

SwitchForce

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic