Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Posts 1,501 to 1,520 of 4,507

gcunit

I've finally driven myself to installing my Smash 4 disc to my Wii U in need of playing some Smash.

I'd never really played Smash before Wii U, and the paltry 10 hrs I've logged since needs addressing. So my intention is not to buy Smash Ultimate until I've logged at least an hour on 4 for every pound I spent on it. Arbitrary, but there you go.

I don't think I'd realised Smash 4 has a photo mode, so that'll be enough to pull me in cos I love messing with screenshots. Had a quick go this morning and it seems the photo mode doesn't offer 360 degree rotation around the subject - I really hope that's changed for Ultimate. Though I can see how it might be a bit of an indulgence if the game never needs to render the shot from behind the action.

Shouldn't Ken's hair be yellower? And I'd always thought Ken was the chunkier, and therefore slower, of the two out of him and Ryu, but here he's faster.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Saego

PikPi wrote:

I rewatched the direct. It seems to imply that the cinematic for world of light is all that will be there as far as cutscenes, which is pretty lame.
It says "it's more about fun than story" and "at least you can see how it got to that point, the rest is up to your imagination". Which is fine, but definitely disappointing a bit.

I see Sakurai still sees the internet as this big bad demon that spoils everything lol

I think Sakurai comfirmed in the Japanese Direct that their aren't cutscenes in it. Really dissapointed and a bit angry.

Don't get me wrong, everything looks great, even World of Light without cutscenes (since now it's more of a deluxe challenges mode I guess), but just not for me since I don't play competitive and online.

I loved Sm4sh, but it lacked (SP) content to keep me playing. I sometimes invite my friends to play, but we also have other games like Mario Kart and Mario Party. This will probably be the same case, sadly. It also just feels so wrong to give us this amazing story trailer, where lots of gaming characters interract with eachother, but then leave the rest to our imagination.

Saego

gcunit

Let's use a little perspective here. Designing and building the game as is is pretty impressive. To expect them to write and animate a cohesive story featuring 74-80 characters is pushing it, and to get angry about it seems a little churlish.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Saego

gcunit wrote:

Let's use a little perspective here. Designing and building the game as is is pretty impressive. To expect them to write and animate a cohesive story featuring 74-80 characters is pushing it, and to get angry about it seems a little churlish.

And I get that. Making CGI animations (and writing a story) can be pretty intense, ofcourse. But like I said, don't give me a this lovely video about how it could've worked, and then don't do anything with it. Blue balls, etc.

It doesn't have to be a good story, just look at Subspace. It felt amazing to see Yoshi and Link team up. Luckily the platforming sections have been removed though.

Saego

-Green-

They’ll probably have small in game cutscenes for bosses and such, and a real cutscene for the ending. That’s about all I can see them doing.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Haruki_NLI

When buying the DLC you need to remember what you are paying for is not just the content but the additional budget to pay people to make those fighters outside if the original development schedule.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

NEStalgia

World of Light looks really really cool actually. The best, or at least second best FG single player mode I've seen next to SCVI. It may not have cutscenes, but I expect the intro and an end-game one (seriously it's Sakurai, you know there's an ending cutscene even though he told you there isn't.) And also keep in mind by "cutscenes" he's talking about animated cinematics. We don't know if there's in-game scenes at spots, or even dialog on the map. There may still be a minimum amount of story contained.

@Eric258 Grinch could be DLC. Tell your friends!

NEStalgia

Drussa

@Tsurii thank you for that tip about the gold coins on physical releases. I actually did not know this (see how much i do the homework on these type of things).
@ReaderRagfish I checked my local Nintendo site and it states that the points should be valid 12 months after claiming them (i tested and claimed points on my MK8 game that i purchased over a year ago and i was able to and they are now valid for 12 months).

Drussa

LuigiTheGreenFire

Honestly that Direct was not good at all. 4/10 of from me. Here's why...
-Trophies gone. Look I understand they take a lot of work, but they are a Smash staple at this point. Aren't the characters trophies anyway?
-Spirits is just some weird hybrid of Adventure Mode, Smash Tour, and Event Matches. It looks alright, but not very compelling. Sakurai spent way too much time talking about it. I was getting bored.
-Talking about options...really? You could have cut this section of the Direct and lost very little.
-Piranha Plant. A potted plant generic enemy can get into the "Ultimate" Super Smash Bros. But Geno, Waluigi, Toad (Captain Toad or regular), Paper Mario, Shadow, Isaac, Dixie Kong, Banjo-Kazooie, Knuckle Joe, Chorus Kids, or Skull Kid can't? Thank goodness this is a pre-order/early adopter bonus. I don't know if I would be able to bring myself to pay for it. I though Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt were ridiculous. This is on a whole different level.

The E3 2018 coverage was alright, but underwhelming to me. The August Direct was fantastic. This is just poor. I'm still getting the game, but I have some concerns.

What Would W. Do?

3DS Friend Code: 3609-1033-1732 | Nintendo Network ID: Wman1996

Eel

To be honest Piranha Plants have as much history in the series as Peach and Bowser.

And they probably have more video game appareances than all of those characters combined (except Toad).

Not even goombas have as many different varieties and habilities.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Cynas

@Sahpradani Unlocking them by adventure mode is probably going to be the case. I'm guessing once you fight the "evil spirit" version of them you'll unlock the character. The fights that include actual fighters will probably be sprinkled around the story map while most of it is filled with the generic Spirit unlockables.

They might do what they've done in the past though and base it either on story/challenge unlocks or have the option of unlocking by playing the game a lot.

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

Eel

I like how the sprit battles go full on with the pretending, gives them the chance to represent a lot more characters and franchises in battle. It's gonna be fun to see all the references.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

TuVictus

They just remind me of what they've always done for event matches. Match the in-game fighters to whatever "scenario" the event is for. Which is neat. My favorite will always be the Melee one with Giga Bowser, Mewtwo, and Ganondorf (I think also Jiggly puff?). Felt so good to finally beat that thing after weeks.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

redd214

It's crazy and downright bizarre to me reading this thread and other sites that even with all the content this have appears to have, people still insist on complaining about what it doesnt. Can't please everyone I suppose but sure seems excessive with this game in particular.

Watched the direct again and will probably end up getting 2 copies so both my kids can level up characters and play at their own pace.

Edited on by redd214

redd214

Eel

PikPi wrote:

They just remind me of what they've always done for event matches. Match the in-game fighters to whatever "scenario" the event is for. Which is neat. My favorite will always be the Melee one with Giga Bowser, Mewtwo, and Ganondorf (I think also Jiggly puff?). Felt so good to finally beat that thing after weeks.

The event matches have always been kind of limited to the series represented by playable characters, this expands that greatly, even nindies are included.

Also love that the map has a monster hunter section.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

NEStalgia

One nice thing about the Direct is, the last two Directs took me from being mildly interested in yet another Smash to completely not caring at all. This Direct made me look forward to playing again!

NEStalgia

Cynas

The art style in the map navigation looks like a mix between Bravely Default and the world map in Baten Kaitos.

Speaking of which, one of the spirits shown was Sagi from Baten Kaitos Origins. It's nice to see the series being represented, like when we got a music track in Smash for Wii U. I still listen to plenty of tracks from that series so I hope we get even more in Ultimate.

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

HobbitGamer

I’m digging all the involvement that Adventure appears to offer. I agree that it allows far more series representation than past modes, and just reinforces the idea that these are all toys. Kinda reminds me of the Toy Story 3 sandbox world.
I’m perfectly okay with trophies being gone. Yes, they’ve been there since the beginning, but this feels like a natural progression to make them feel like more than just collectibles. Trophy Rush was fun for awhile, but this will be more meaningful for me.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Grumblevolcano

@Sahpradani In the August Direct it was announced that there's no unlockable stages (all 103 available from the start).

The fighters will likely be one of a few options (e.g. World of Light, certain number of matches, amiibo).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic