Forums

Topic: Splatoon 2

Posts 841 to 860 of 5,014

Pho

I'm so excited for Friday, going to get it at lunch and play it after work! Got the app all ready to go too, though I finally had to update my iOS after putting it off for so long.

Poyo! <3

3DS Friend Code: 1950-8691-6279 | Nintendo Network ID: xPH03N1Xx86

Spoony_Tech

@OorWullie It's 9:33 here right now so just over 26 hours to go.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

shani

@all: How about we create a NL league? Seems appropriate if you think about it. No more setting up tournaments.

@OorWullie I'm not sure whether the NA eshop works the same way, but so far the EU eshop released all Nintendo titles exactly at midnight.

@BLP_Software I haven't read many reviews yet, but based on everything we already knew, no one in their right mind would call it 'more of the same'. I mean, they added so many new modes, features, content, fixes and other stuff that it's a totally new game!
Just take the special weapons, not a single one is the same as in the original. Or the new gear/roll system. Or salmon run. Or the league battles. Or LAN-play. Or the slight but meaningful changes to the ranked modes. Or the boost tickets you can buy. Or all the little fixes for minor issues in the original. And I haven't even started with the new weapons! The roll ability of the dualies is new, as are the chargers storing ink or rollers having a vertical attack.

I mean, sure, it's still a shooter, but what did you expect, that Splatoon 2 becomes a racing game?

A sequel should keep and build on everything that was good in the predecessor while fixing everything that was not so good plus adding new stuff. And as far as we know, that's exactly what Splatoon 2 does.
Personally, I couldn't ask anything apart from changing weapons in solo lobbies. But that's really a minor issue (which doesn't exist in squads).

Edited on by shani

My GOTY? Legend Of Zelda: Splat of the child. Ah no, I meant LoZ: Breath of the SPLATOOOON!

NLInklings Discord server | My Youtube channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-3298-8343-1900 | Nintendo Network ID: shani_ace | Twitter:

Haruki_NLI

@shani Well many are not in their right mind then...

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

chardir

@shani I would call it more of the same. Personally I think that's awesome because I loved the first game, but I don't think people are being unfair in describing it that way.

Edit: people calling it a 'port' are being unfair however. I think most of that talk has subsided now.

Edited on by chardir

Friend Code: SW-1014-2011-3950 (Switch name: Dii)
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: LMR-JBK-RWG

Grumblevolcano

I think more of the same is a fair judgement and that is pretty standard for multiplayer focused shooter sequels. The only new mode is salmon run and everything else is just improving things which were present in the Wii U game.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

chardir

@Pigeon The original ranked modes were added as updates, so it's possible they will add some new ones in future. Not going to hold my breath though.

OorWullie

@Pigeon @chardir I noticed during the Splatoon 2 Direct that there is a empty space next to the 3 ranked modes that doesn't look right as it is.I'm sure that's going to be filled with a new mode eventually.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Notorious

Is this release 12:00am 21st everywhere or like USAs 21st which is like 3.00am in AUS?

Notorious

Switch Friend Code: SW-2887-0273-2021 | My Nintendo: Notorious | Twitter:

TheXReturns

Really looking forward to the launch tomorrow, and hopefully we can revive the splatournaments from the grave over the summer.

A puzzle solved is its own reward.

My Nintendo: TheXReturns | Nintendo Network ID: TheXReturns

chardir

Yay! Postie arrived with my Splatoon 2

shani

@BLP_Software I'd argue that many people on the world are not in their right mind, but that's a different issue.
@chardir Well so far it seemed like 'more of the same' was meant in a negative way, like 'they didn't do enough' or 'it's basically the same game'. Which is a notion I vehemently refuse, because of all the changes and additions.

For me, 'more of the same' is what EA and Konami do with FIFA and PES, It's basically the same game every year - and that's coming from someone who bought every PES between 2006 and 2015...
Apart from sports games, in my opinion 'more of the same' is what Activision does with Call of Duty (the only "notable" change in all those years was the addition of dogs 😆) or - to a lesser extent - Ubisoft with Assasin's Creed.

So claiming that Splatoon 2 is like FIFA/PES feels almost like an insult to the developers, if you ask me...

Pigeon wrote:

What new modes? There's Salmon run, and then everything else I've heard about is basically the same 4 player team based games from the first one.

Where's the 1 vs 1 mode? Where's the 4 all-vs-all matches? we've basically just got the same modes, but with the odd twist.

But I'm pretty bummed that I'm going to have times where I'm lumped with a team of 3 airheads who can barely play the standard game at all. It would've been nice if they'd have exhausted all optional modes the same way ARMS has just done.

Salmon run, League battle, Local wireless mode, LAN mode, Splatfest Squads, Spectator mode - that's six new modes!
Personally, I wouldn't have needed any new modes, I was perfectly happy with those from the first game. So all these additions represent the cherry on top for me (especially League battles!).

What do you mean by "4 all-vs-all matches"?
There was already a local 1vs1 in the original Splatoon and it was utterly boring. Seriously, who needs a 1vs1 mode anyway? This game is just no fun in 1vs1, after all it's a team game and the maps aren't made for 1vs1 either.

Also, which other modes does ARMS - a game I really like - offer apart from VS and party mode?

And I can't really follow the other part about the 'team of 3 airheads'. Have you ever played Squad battles in Splatoon? We did that a lot here in the NL community and it was the opposite of what you described. Generally, a lot of people played Splatoon in a permanent team/clan (possibly in combination with Discord) and arguably, with Splatnet 2, playing together with specific people will be easier than ever. I don't think the mobile app solution is ideal either, but it will probably be an improvement.

Edited on by shani

My GOTY? Legend Of Zelda: Splat of the child. Ah no, I meant LoZ: Breath of the SPLATOOOON!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3298-8343-1900 | Nintendo Network ID: shani_ace | Twitter:

ThomGee

@shani I'd love to create a NL league. That should probably be its own thread though, as this one seems more for discussion.

@Pigeon More of the same is definitely a very valid criticism now, but if the first game is any indicator there will be new modes added for Ranked.

ThomGee

My Nintendo: ThomGee | Nintendo Network ID: WakerOfWindsHD

shani

@Notorious I think it's released at midnight everywhere. At least that's how it has been in Europe so far.

@Nintendoer Yeah let's coordinate that here.

@TheXReturns Actually I think we could replace our NL tournaments with a NL league (see the multiplayer match thread).

Notorious

@shani yeah sick as thanks

Notorious

Switch Friend Code: SW-2887-0273-2021 | My Nintendo: Notorious | Twitter:

Spoony_Tech

Notorious wrote:

Is this release 12:00am 21st everywhere or like USAs 21st which is like 3.00am in AUS?

Should be midnight in your region. When it hits midnight in NA it should be out everywhere in the world I believe.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

yokokazuo

@shani I think that league battles seems to just be like the ranked squad battles of Splatoon 1

yokokazuo

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664 | Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

Nicolai

shani wrote:

Local Wireless mode
LAN mode

Basically the same thing, and they don't change how you play, just how you connect with people.

Spectator mode

Not really a game mode. I'm not sitting at work dreaming about going home to play spectator mode

Splatfest Squads,

Again, a different way to connect with people (the same one actually, but now in Splatfests)

League battle
Salmon run

These two I would give you as new game modes, even though League Battle is more of a change to the meta than a change to the actual game. When wishing for new game modes, I was hoping more for something that changes the rules of the game, much like the 3 ranked modes do. Hopefully, @OorWullie is right, and we'll see some new ones. But the only one out of the six that you mentioned that I'm truly excited for is Salmon run; I can't wait!

Wirh that said, I agree that it's way too far removed to be considered a port, or as some people say, could have been Splatoon DLC. Nintendo has tweaked the core game, adding and removing things that can't be done to the original; plus, the visuals are 10 times better, and it can be played on a portable system, all new stages, all new music and there are simply so many little new features added to it. There's a lot more new content here than you see from the average new Mario Kart installment.

But yeah, if we get just that one new ranked battle mode, it's sequel-status will be solidified.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

AccessibleDaydream

Is anyone else’s Amazon Prime order for Splatoon 2 showing shipping today, but not arriving until Tuesday?

AccessibleDaydream

Switch Friend Code: SW-2307-0614-2423 | My Nintendo: Dj64Mk7 | Nintendo Network ID: Dj64Mk7 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic