Forums

Topic: Splatoon 2

Posts 4,681 to 4,700 of 4,769

toiletduck

@1UP_MARIO yeah I guess so, I just hate losing when I have the feeling I'm not getting any better I'll probably just play through the single player campaign first. Then I'll play ranked for an entire evening, accepting that I'll lose every single game and don't receive XP while at it.

toiletduck

Zyrac

@toiletduck A few tips for Ranked in general:

-Don't just tunnel-vision on the objective. You need to get the opponents out of the way first; at least one or two of them should be dead before you really try to push. Remember, the icons at the top show you who's alive (and whether they have their special). There's no shame in letting someone else handle the objective while you hold off the bad guys, either.

-Don't attack from the same angle as all your teammates. At the start of a match, instead of rushing straight to the centre, try going the long way around and attacking your opponents from behind. This alone will probably work wonders in the lower ranks.

-Specials are important. It may not be Turf War but inking turf still charges your meter, and filling it up at the right time can really help you get things done.

-Remember you don't need to win by knockout. If you have a good lead, it's enough to just hold onto it until the match ends (be wary of overtime if the opponents have control of the objective when time runs out, though).

-Don't worry, veterans hate Clam Blitz too.

In short, fight smarter, not harder. You need to think strategically and stay aware of what's happening on the splattlefield. Good luck!

Edited on by Zyrac

Available for online play around 7-10PM UK time most weekdays, whenever on weekends.
Pullblox levels | Fallblox levels | Ful...

Switch Friend Code: SW-6987-6502-7004 | 3DS Friend Code: 0044-3085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: Zyrac23 | Twitter:

toiletduck

@Zyrac thanks, good advice!

I have to admit though... I should probably just stop whining and try a bit longer before complaining that I can't win I find games hard and unfair very regularly.

toiletduck

FaeKnight

I've enjoyed every Turf War I've played, but haven't tried any Ranked matches. The ones I enjoyed the most though were incredibly close matches, often coming down to a fraction of a percent.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

toiletduck

@FaeKnight yeah that's a lot of fun! Especially if you're the guy who sprayed that last jar of paint over their turf and claimed over ~10% in the dying seconds of the game.

toiletduck

FaeKnight

True @toiletduck, (accidentally) splatting all 4 members of the other team during a mad Roller On Floor dash during the final 15 seconds of the match as you try to Ink as much enemy covered ground as you possibly can cause you just checked the map and your team is losing, only for your team to win by 0.1% is a good feeling.

FaeKnight

ReaderRagfish

toiletduck wrote:

Then I'll play ranked for an entire evening, accepting that I'll lose every single game and don't receive XP while at it.

Sounds awfully similar to how you start getting good at fighting games. Go online and keep getting destroyed until you subconsciously start to learn.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

EvilLucario

@ReaderRagfish That's competitive gaming in a nutshell I'd say.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Eric258

I think I may have somehow broke the ranking system? I was about to hit Modern King, but it suddenly kept on ranking me up under the label Rank_Boy_1, Rank_Boy_2 and etc. Had to quit out of the game to make it stop. Would post it here but I'm unsure about how to link twitter posts.

Edit: Thanks @Dogorila I'll add it in now.

Edited on by Eric258

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2601-9990-4610
Super Mario Run Friend Code: 1391-4403-4742
Fire Emblem Heroes Friend Code: 1332698932
Twitter: @Eric258kip

Dogorilla

@Eric258 You can link twitter posts just by copying the URL of the post, and it automatically embeds in the forum. But I had a look at the video by going to the twitter account in your signature and wow, that's a really weird glitch. I've no idea what could have caused that.

Currently Playing: The World Ends With You (Switch), Hollow Knight (Switch), Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (3DS), Earthbound (SNES Classic)

countzero

Does anyone else feel that the color choices for the retro vs modern Splatfest are unfortunate? Ketchup vs mayo was bad enough but this one looks like poop vs tartar sauce.

Edited on by SheldonRandoms

countzero

NinjaAceTrainer

@countzero I think they look fine. Retro is more orange, and the only problem I had was my full ink tank sometimes looking empty because of how dark the orange is. Ketchup and Mayo I liked, because the colours contrasted well. The worst was definitely Chicken vs Egg, where I often couldn't tell whether a bomb was an enemies' or a teammates'.

Just your everday ninja, who may also be an ace trainer. Link to the NL Inklings here!
https://discord.gg/6bsgt3t

Kimyonaakuma

@countzero I think the colours are okay, but the ink colour and the team colour don't seem to match. I'm team retro and my Octoling is brown, but then the ink is orange? I guess they were going for a colour scheme based on the Splatfest pictures

...Pearl and Marina don't look particularly exciting though, they just look black and grey instead of something fun

Kimyonaakuma

FaeKnight

In my Splatfest matches yesterday us Retro peeps got tan, orange, purple, and green ink. Not all in the same match, mind you. Meanwhile Team Modern had used yellow, purple, green, and gray ink. Brown/Gray was the more frequent combination though.

FaeKnight

Eric258

@FaeKnight Those other colours are used when you're matched up against opponents on the same splatfest team. It usually happens when its taking too long to find other opposing teams to play against. So you'll know when to get really serious when you see the splatfest colours.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2601-9990-4610
Super Mario Run Friend Code: 1391-4403-4742
Fire Emblem Heroes Friend Code: 1332698932
Twitter: @Eric258kip

Grumblevolcano

@FaeKnight Brown/Gray were the only Team Retro vs. Team Modern battles. The other Splatfest matches would've been Team Retro vs. Team Retro (if you were Team Modern, Team Modern vs. Team Modern battles would've had the same result) which happens so that you're still matches rather than waiting in the lobby for a long time.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FaeKnight

It kept saying the other team was Modern, so I assumed it has a rotation of ink colors.

That said, the times there were different colors then Tan/Gray were also when there was no Team Modern for 3 cycles of the count down.

Edited on by FaeKnight

FaeKnight

Grumblevolcano

The last new stage for Splatoon 2, note this doesn't necessarily mean no stages at all afterwards as there could be more returning stages inbound.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dogorilla

The Splatoon tumblr said 'The new stage in early October will be the final one to be added'. The wording there makes me think it will be the final stage of any kind, i.e. there won't be any more returning stages either. I hope I'm wrong though; it would be nice if they brought over every stage from the first game, otherwise some stages will be lost if/when the Wii U servers shut down (and I imagine it's probably quite hard to find a match in Splatoon 1 these days anyway).

Currently Playing: The World Ends With You (Switch), Hollow Knight (Switch), Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (3DS), Earthbound (SNES Classic)

Kimyonaakuma

I was hoping that all the Splatoon 1 stages would return but I've always thought that there are few that won't come back - mainly Saltspray Rig and Flounder Heights, mainly because their layouts are just so different to the rest of 2's stages.
I'm sure some of the stages won't hold up as well these days due to new weapon types, specials and ranked modes but I'll miss some of them.

Do you think Shifty Stations will return? I wonder if they'll add all of them to the rotation after the final Splatfest...

Kimyonaakuma

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic