Forums

Topic: Splatoon 2

Posts 4,541 to 4,560 of 5,014

-Green-

I think after a year of playing, my favorite weapons in this game are:

Goo tuber: I like its design and the charge gimmick is cool. I just wish it could do a bit more. As is, it struggles hard because it only slightly out ranges common weapons and is outraged hard by its better brethren. I wish it charged up while holding a charge while in Squid form, that would make it so much better.

Gloogas: I really like the design of these weapons and how they feel. Their dodge roll has weight to them and they feel heavy. Main complain is the RNG and lack of precision. It’s just really slow and suffers from huge falloff.

Dynamo: I always liked Dynamo. Using it is fun and it’s design is cool. The problem is just the main weapon is not particularly good at anything that isn’t done better than other weapons. It needs to generally paint better at least. I just really like positioning myself to fling huge amounts of ink. The problem is that Explosher does that much better and isn’t a huge sitting target like dynamo is.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

shadow-wolf

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I'll try to address each person individually.

@-Green- Would you be able to tell me why Tenta Missiles and Splashdown are considered the two worst specials competitively? I've realized that I haven't had much time to get used to all the weapons/subs/specials so maybe I need to learn more regarding Tenta Missiles and Splashdown so I could evade them better. Also in a similar vein, would you be able to tell me why Ink Mines and Toxic Mist are better?

@Zyrac Would you be able to tell me why you think Tenta Missiles aren't great? I've realized that I haven't had much time to get used to all the weapons/subs/specials so maybe I need to learn more regarding Tenta Missiles so I could avoid them better. And honestly even if the intro was not skippable, having an option to speed up dialogue like they give with Sheldon would go a long way towards making the intro more bearable.

@Kimyonaakuma Yeah I think you're right, perhaps the innovation of Splatoon 1 covered some of its flaws. And I agree with you, I still don't really know how to use Sting Ray and Bubble Blower effectively though I know other players are able to. And I agree with Pearl and Marina. They often do say the exact same things. Especially for Salmon Run announcements, I'm almost certain they cycle through one of the same 3 exchanges each time ... which gets annoying after a while. And as you said, Bloblobber does a bit too well in close quarters, it'd be nice if they could limit how far the bubbles go or how many times they can bounce.

@NinjaAceTrainer You make some good points, and thanks for the advice! How do you suggest you can counter Splashdowns? Every time I encounter one of them, it's quite difficult for me to escape before I get hit. And I've experienced the lag you've suggested, though I encounter disconnects more frequently, even in Ranked. At least Splatoon 2 recognizes this and does not change your Rank because of it, but it's still annoying. Regarding the Clash Blaster and Dualies, I'll try your advice when I encounter them next time! And the subs advice is helpful too. Although the intro doesn't repeat once your in the game unlike Splatoon 1, honestly after one sitting I often switch to another game so I end up seeing the intro often anyway. What annoys me is that the dialogue and animations are a lot longer than in Splatoon 1, so it takes much more time. But as you said it adds personality to the game, and it doesn't really take that much time in the long run.

@Dogorilla I agree about the net code, I wish Nintendo chose to use dedicated servers for Splatoon 2 as you suggested. They need to start using them for their more popular games like Smash and Splatoon, so that the online experience is better and is actually worth the cost of the online membership. How would you suggest to avoid Splashdowns? And yes I agree, the extra modes in Splatoon 2 like Salmon Run and Clam Blitz do make it better than Splatoon 1 content-wise.

@Maxz Yeah what you said makes sense. Perhaps I just need to take some time to get adjusted some more. Splatoon 1 was my favorite game on the Wii U and instantly made the series my favorite multiplayer series out of any series, so perhaps I just need to give myself some time to get adjusted to the changes in 2.

@-Green- Goo Tuber is fine but what do you mean by its charging gimmick? Do you mean its ability to hold a charge while swimming? That's very useful but as you said I was disappointed you couldn't charge up while swimming. The Glooga Dualies were nice at first but they don't do much damage unless you roll, which made them a bit difficult for me to use. Dynamo Rollers are very powerful ... if you are able to fling the ink before getting splatted. In my experience they're very slow, so it's very easy to splat a Dynamo Roller user before they actually manage to fling ink.

shadow-wolf

FaeKnight

Uhm, if the game's netcode isn't up to snuff a dedicated server wouldn't improve connectivity. And more games then people likely realize use peer to peer for actual multiplayer matches. No, what should have been saved on a dedicated server is multiplayer progression. I can understand why it's not. But it still should have been.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

-Green-

@shadow-wolf Basically Tenta Missiles lack a notable impact like other specials do. They aren't as effective as simply activating any other Special and put you at a notable disadvantage to use. Splashdown is just super vulnerable due to people being able to consistently shoot it down.

Ink Mine in Splatoon 1 was bad because while it could splat a person, it essentially never did as it was too slow. In Splatoon 2 you can also place two, they no longer have a time limit, you can self-detonate them and they mark your target. It's much better overall.

Toxic Mist is a good sub because it helps close of an area. Hitting an opponent with it puts them at a big disadvantage and can help secure splats. Arguably not as good as disruptor was but still pretty good overall as it does its job very well.

The gootuber gimmick I'm referring to is how it's basically a charge holding charger entirely. They could do more with that part about it.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Dogorilla

@shadow-wolf I usually use Dualies so it's not too difficult to roll out of the way. If you're using a different weapon there's enough time to swim out of the way once you see the Splashdown coming as long as you're not surrounded by enemy ink. So it's mainly a case of making sure you're always covering enough turf to give you an escape route if necessary. Also, there have been a few times when I've used Splashdown but been splatted before I hit the ground, so you may be able to splat the person using it if you start shooting them as soon as they activate the special. Don't quote me on that though, I haven't tried it.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

NinjaAceTrainer

@shadow-wolf There are 2 ways to not die to a Splashdown near you. The first is to move away, swimming is usually fast enough unless you are turning around inside the Splashdown circle. Splashdown does deal massive (albeit not lethal) damage outside the circle too, which can splat you if you've already taken damage. Alternatively, you can splat the player doing Splashdown before they land. If you want to practice this, go for weapons with spread damage, such as brushes or blasters. Do note that while the enemy is airborne ahd stationary they are vulnerable, however once they start to fall they will become invincible. As for superjump Splahdowns, the only thing you can do is move away, which is difficult due to their speed. If you keep getting splatted by superjump Splashdowns, try to be aware of any reckless superjump points from the enemy team. A tip for avoiding Splashdowns, even a tiny bit of cover will protect you from the damage, even if you're inside the circle. Any small corner or terrain difference will completely block the damage. Being familiar with stages so you can seek out small bits of cover in a pinch can definitely help.

Just your everday ninja, who may also be an ace trainer.

Zyrac

@shadow-wolf (enjoy the mention spam) Dodging Tenta Missiles is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Wait for the whistling sound - no need to panic as soon as you're targeted - and then just keep moving until the missiles stop. You don't necessarily need to be swimming at full speed the entire time either. Just be careful not to cross paths with teammates lest you be hit by missiles targeting them.

The instant death hitbox isn't actually that big either; a near miss only does half your health. If you still want to make them a little less threatening you can try using the Bomb Defense Up ability; even one sub slot of that will save you from being two-hit-killed (a one-hit will always be a one-hit, though).

Tentas aren't useless, mind you - they can do some damage if timed well alongside other attacks - but like Green says they just kinda aren't as good as everything else. Even the seemingly tame Ink Storm provides more reliable area control and is safer to use.

Zyrac

Twitter:

SpaceMonkey86

Noob question here: How do people get those messages above their head in the hub area?

SpaceMonkey86

FaeKnight

I believe those are posted to Twitter via the mailbox. My question is "how did people get so dang good at using the clunky drawing tool?!"

FaeKnight

shadow-wolf

@-Green- @Dogorilla @NinjaAceTrainer @Zyrac Thank you all for the advice! I'll use that when I encounter the Tenta Missiles or Splashdowns in the future, or if I use ink mines, toxic mist, or the Goo Tuber.

@FaeKnight Oh OK that makes sense. And yes you're right in that it's absolutely inexcusable that Nintendo doesn't save player rank and level on a server. If they did that (like virtually everyone else does with their online games) then we'd have cloud saves for Splatoon 2.

shadow-wolf

SpaceMonkey86

@FaeKnight I don't get it. An actual twitter? Or an ingame twitter that is pretending to be twitter but only in-game?

SpaceMonkey86

SpaceMonkey86

@FaeKnight Where do you make the picture? On your Switch? I just looked around everywhere and couldn't figure it out. I must've been missing something. I work with electronics so you'd think I'd be able to make a simple picture and post in a game lol

SpaceMonkey86

FaeKnight

@MilkBone There's a red mailbox (looks like a red post) near the weapon shop. Interacting with it lets you draw/create an image then post said image to Twitter. To be fair, I stumbled across it by accident a couple days before the splatfest while just goofing off in the plaza.

FaeKnight

Mikaeru

man!! just played this game.. its so exciting and stressing!!
i cant control it yet.. its so hard.. never been playing FPS game without mouse before..
any tips?

Mikaeru

FaeKnight

Use the motion controls for aiming. Once you get use to it (which happens fairly quickly) it's a bit faster then using the right stick to aim. You'll still be using the right stick for faster turns at times though. Also, hit Y to recenter your aim/camera every so often.

In addition, playing through the single player campaign will both help you get use to the motion controls, as well as make you familiar with the various overall weapon types. Not to mention the single player campaign is just well done. And the "octoling fight" single player missions can give you a chance to practice for online matches in a non-competitive arena.

And finally remember that while splatting your opponants in Turf War is a good idea, your main goal is actually to cover ground in ink. So take out the other team when you can, but keep in mind that you also want to be covering as much ground (and walls) with your team's ink color as well. In fact, in a close match a sudden turf inking blitz in the last 30 seconds can be the difference between winning and losing. As such check the map on occasion to see where you'll be most effective.

Also, Splatoon 2 isn't an FPS. It's a 3rd person shooter

FaeKnight

Dogorilla

Has anyone received the exclusive gear that you get from the 12-month online subscription yet? It's supposed to be sent in an email but I haven't received it yet.

Funky Kong

FaeKnight

I thought that wasn't going to be available till November or December?

Not that I have a 12 month sub yet. Currently it's a 3 month sub that'll run out near the end of December.

FaeKnight

Dogorilla

@FaeKnight Ah, it's coming in October according to Nintendo's website. I was a little worried it had already been sent out and I'd missed it somehow.

Funky Kong

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic