Forums

Topic: Splatoon 2

Posts 4,501 to 4,520 of 5,014

FaeKnight

So far, I find myself quite enjoying Splatoon 2. The motion control aiming was very weird at first and I initially turned it off. Turned it back on rather quickly due to the analog stick feeling too clunky for aiming. To my surprise I got use to the motion control aiming really quickly and now it feels quite natural. Core game mechanics are a lot more fun then I thought they would be, which is nice. The weapon assortment I've used so far is pretty interesting too. Glad I bought this, and I think I will be getting the Octo Expansion as soon as I can afford it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that after doing a few Turf War matches I find myself enjoying that too, to my surprise. I've mostly been doing the single player campaign and a few local matches.

Edited on by FaeKnight

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

1UP_MARIO

@FaeKnight you’ll love it. It’s a great game and addictive as hell and take all your time from other games

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

FaeKnight

@1UP_MARIO so far, I am. The fact that I was enjoying the online vs matches surprised me. Usually I don't care much for that style of game, in large part due to the communities such games tend to generate. Even when the community isn't toxic, I usually don't care much for them. I'm more into multiplayer co-op (unless it's Civilization or a board game). But turf war was rather fun, even with me being a complete newbie. Amusingly (to me at least) in my first match one of the guys on the other team was level 36 and using the "you've just started playing" weapon, which I'd have thought would get abandoned as soon as better ones are made available.

And even opponents using far better weapons (in theory) such as the Roller didn't make me feel useless.

Edited on by FaeKnight

FaeKnight

1UP_MARIO

@FaeKnight turf war is great and that’s what I play most. I would recommend completing the story mode first if you haven’t played splatoon 1 before. I believe it makes you a better player and motion is the way to go, too many advantages over the sticks. Only thing I hate about splatoon 2 is the nagging you have to hear every time you boot the game to play and you can’t skip it also the times people disconnect and your playing 2 vs 4

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

1UP_MARIO

@ReaderRagfish i have the starter pack with the mynintendo rewards program but didn’t find it much helpful

1UP_MARIO

@ReaderRagfish sorry. Yes the one I have is 27 pages. Just has stats on different weapons and bombs, speacials. Introduction of splatoon and what each of the icons mean on the screen the game modes.

It’s quite basic and you more or less know most just by playing the game

Untitled

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

FaeKnight

The starter guide is 27 pages long, not 100. It's not the full strategy guide.

It's also not very helpful as a strategy guide. It's a glorified instruction manual with brief single player weapon descriptions, brief enemy/object descriptions, and brief descriptions of each multiplayer mode. That's it, just things you would have expected in an old game manual.

FaeKnight

Zyrac

@FaeKnight The weapons in this game are fairly well-balanced. The Splattershot Jr. does remain a valid choice; heck, I know a pretty good player who uses nothing but. Nothing is intentionally superior to anything, and while some weapons may be a bit better in practice, you can do well with anything if you know how to use it.

Zyrac

Twitter:

FaeKnight

Ah, then that guide might actually be useful. It wouldn't have the maps or weapons that have been released since it's publishing, but it could be useful.

Just finished up a set of 8 Turf War matches, then did a couple more single player stages. Or rather I tried doing a couple more stages. I completed one but am having some trouble with the second one and died 9 times. YAY, I unlocked Dualies for Multiplayer! I like that weapon. I've been using the Roller since I unlocked it, but Dualies are by far superior IMO. My last match my team won by 0.1% due to me spending the last few seconds of the match in a mad dash to ink roll as much enemy covered ground as I possibly could. Which happened to splat all four guys on the other team quite by accident

Who knew shooting/splashing ink everywhere would be so much fun?

FaeKnight

Ryzaerian

@FaeKnight It’s one of the best franchises on the Switch and, in my opinion, the best multiplayer third-person shooter in existence on any console.

Maybe once you have some time under your belt, it’ll help you change your perspective on trolling threads asking for Splatoon 2 save backups, too. 😁

Friend Code: SW-4697-0836-1490

Currently playing: Warframe, Diablo 3, Splatoon 2, Paladins, Zelda: BotW, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Bastion.

“...and we will send you to whatever god you wish.”

EvilLucario

Yeah normally I don't care for online competitive shooters. I didn't care for Overwatch, didn't care for Paladins, didn't care for TF2, didn't care for Call of Duty, but Splatoon is that one shooter series that I can really get down with due to not just being some shooty shooty thing, but also have melee weapons (I know Overwatch has Reinhardt and Brigette, but bare with me) and requires different game sense beyond just killing dudes.

So I'd say that even if you don't like online competitive games, Splatoon is always worth a shot.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

toiletduck

I'm also new to the party; started last week. I've spent a couple of hours on two occasions now and after that I couldn't find the time anymore. I had a lot of fun during turf war, not so much during salmon run (didn't 'click' so far). In turf war I win quite some matches with very good ratings, but once I enter ranked mode I totally suck. I lost all matches so far and I guess my teammates render me pretty much useless. Any particular ranked modes that are easier to get into? I may focus on the single player campaign first, next time I come around to playing.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

1UP_MARIO

@toiletduck everyone loses at first. I lost a lot of games but don’t let it put you off and as long as it’s fun that’s the main thing. It did put me off at ranked at first too but once you get the hang of it. You’ll enjoy it more.

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

toiletduck

@1UP_MARIO yeah I guess so, I just hate losing when I have the feeling I'm not getting any better I'll probably just play through the single player campaign first. Then I'll play ranked for an entire evening, accepting that I'll lose every single game and don't receive XP while at it.

toiletduck

Zyrac

@toiletduck A few tips for Ranked in general:

-Don't just tunnel-vision on the objective. You need to get the opponents out of the way first; at least one or two of them should be dead before you really try to push. Remember, the icons at the top show you who's alive (and whether they have their special). There's no shame in letting someone else handle the objective while you hold off the bad guys, either.

-Don't attack from the same angle as all your teammates. At the start of a match, instead of rushing straight to the centre, try going the long way around and attacking your opponents from behind. This alone will probably work wonders in the lower ranks.

-Specials are important. It may not be Turf War but inking turf still charges your meter, and filling it up at the right time can really help you get things done.

-Remember you don't need to win by knockout. If you have a good lead, it's enough to just hold onto it until the match ends (be wary of overtime if the opponents have control of the objective when time runs out, though).

-Don't worry, veterans hate Clam Blitz too.

In short, fight smarter, not harder. You need to think strategically and stay aware of what's happening on the splattlefield. Good luck!

Edited on by Zyrac

Zyrac

Twitter:

toiletduck

@Zyrac thanks, good advice!

I have to admit though... I should probably just stop whining and try a bit longer before complaining that I can't win I find games hard and unfair very regularly.

toiletduck

FaeKnight

I've enjoyed every Turf War I've played, but haven't tried any Ranked matches. The ones I enjoyed the most though were incredibly close matches, often coming down to a fraction of a percent.

FaeKnight

toiletduck

@FaeKnight yeah that's a lot of fun! Especially if you're the guy who sprayed that last jar of paint over their turf and claimed over ~10% in the dying seconds of the game.

toiletduck

FaeKnight

True @toiletduck, (accidentally) splatting all 4 members of the other team during a mad Roller On Floor dash during the final 15 seconds of the match as you try to Ink as much enemy covered ground as you possibly can cause you just checked the map and your team is losing, only for your team to win by 0.1% is a good feeling.

FaeKnight

EvilLucario

@ReaderRagfish That's competitive gaming in a nutshell I'd say.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic