Forums

Topic: Splatoon 2

Posts 4,421 to 4,440 of 5,014

Kimyonaakuma

I only realised today (after 8 months), that I have only unlocked the Pearl and Marina amiibo gear.

...it took half an hour to scan and unlock everything It shouldn't take that long should it?

Kimyonaakuma

OctoInk20

@Alantor28 Friend on Discord disclosed that info to me.

Some livestreamer I watch on Twitch has their own Discord and they'd told me and everyone around them that.

OctoInk20

Dogorilla

OctoInk20 wrote:

90% of Pearl's team sabotaged or cheated at Splatfest by going on Team Octo and being friendly to the other team, etc. Players would purposely join team Octo, then throw the matches by either going AFK or staying spawn shooting walls.

Untitled

That doesn't make sense. You can't change teams, so if they joined team Octo, that means they were never on team Squid in the first place. They'd have nothing to gain by intentionally making their own team lose. I never saw anyone throwing the matches so I very much doubt it was that widespread, if it happened at all.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Kimyonaakuma

I didn't see any cheating or anything like that, but I don't really mind who wins.

I had lots of fun while it lasted

Kimyonaakuma

Maxz

It's an absurd notion, and we should probably move on from it.

Anyway, congrats to Team Squid. I didn't devote my full weekend to the Splatfest, but I played enough to get a good feel for the Shifty Station. I'm continually impressed by the ideas they throw out for these maps. They really make the Splatfests worth tuning in for.

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

shadow-wolf

Hey guys, just a question from someone who got a Switch and Splatoon 2 last month but played the original Splatoon on Wii U since Fall 2015. Is it just me or is the player base for Splatoon 2 more skilled than that in 1? Like I’m encountering difficulty ranking up from a B rank in Ranked mode, but I was consistently at an A- rank in Splatoon 1 for the last year or more. And the Turf War battles in the recent Splatfest have been the most challenging Turf War battles I’ve fought in more than a year, if not ever.

Do you guys think that the player base is overall more skilled in 2 than in 1 (such that you may have been an A- rank in 1 but an equivalent rank in skill for 2 would be B, Turf War matches are more difficult, etc.)?

shadow-wolf

Kimyonaakuma

@shadow-wolf I'd agree that people seem to be more skilled in 2 but they will have had more time to improve, especially if they played the first game.

There's also more balance in the weapons and specials so people have needed to improve, you can't just use Krakens and Killer Wails for everything anymore!

Kimyonaakuma

OctoInk20

Nah.

I refuse to believe Team Squid legitimately won. Not after what my friend told me she witnessed herself.

You Pearlists should be disqualified and kicked off the Splatfests, not gonna lie, if you're gonna act like egotistical, self-centered, hateful brats towards Marina fans.

OctoInk20

shadow-wolf

@Kimyonaakuma Actually that’s another thing I wanted to talk about. People talk about how the specials in Splatoon 2 are more balanced than in 1, but I fail to see this in practice. The Baller is like the Kraken but worse/more unfair, it’s basically a Kraken with the ability to splat anyone within a specific range. Killer Wail basically exists in 2 as the Sting Ray, except now there’s less notice with the Sting Ray so it’s much harder to dodge and more unfair. Tenta Missiles ... oh boy Tenta Missiles. At least Inkstrikes gave you enough notice to move out of the way. Tenta Missiles come with barely any notice unless you’re staring at your character’s feet, they automatically lock on to opponents unlike Inkstrikes, AND they can be used from more than half the map away. A lot of Splatoon 2 players (not just you) are saying the specials are more balanced, but I honestly fail to see that given Baller/Sting Ray/Tenta Missiles in 2 are more unfair versions of Kraken/Killer Wail/Inkstrikes from 1.

Edited on by shadow-wolf

shadow-wolf

Kimyonaakuma

@OctoInk20 ....is it really that important though? It isn't worth banning people for something that may or may not have happened, Splatfests are just for fun and to keep people interested in the game. -oh and Sea Snails

Apparently I offended some people because I wore Pearl's crown and was on Team Octoling, I think people just need to calm down and just focus on enjoying themselves

Kimyonaakuma

Grumblevolcano

Another Splatfest where I join a team but something distracts me from actually playing in the Splatfest. This time it was the MK8 Deluxe update.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Kimyonaakuma

@shadow-wolf I personally find the specials more balanced but I can see what you are saying.
I think the Kraken was much worse, I have seen too many times where someone has splatted two or three people with a Kraken in a couple of seconds, but I've never seen this happen with a Baller. And at least the Baller isn't invincible
I think most of the specials can be just as overpowered but they require more skill to use, and a couple of them are really easy to avoid anyway (mainly the Stingray).

Tenta Missiles are fine as long as you aren't stuck in a corner, do you not hear a noise when they lock on to you and then some more when the missiles fire? I don't find them too bad, I've been splatted more by an Ink Storm which is embarrassing...

Kimyonaakuma

shadow-wolf

@Kimyonaakuma Oh ok that makes sense. Still getting used to 2 but it was a bit demoralizing to go from pretty good in 1 to slightly above average in 2 but I guess I’ll get better with practice.

Also how do you deal with the Baller? You mentioned it’s not invincible?

shadow-wolf

Kimyonaakuma

@shadow-wolf I struggle with it too, I was really good in the first game but now I'm average at best. But I'm not very competitive, I'm sure other people are more motivated to reach the higher ranks.

The Baller can eventually shrink and not explode if enough people hit it with ink, but I think it has quite a lot of HP, running away and then returning is usually easier

Kimyonaakuma

shadow-wolf

@Kimyonaakuma Oh OK, it’s nice to hear from someone with a similar experience to mine. I guess I’ll remove my expectations in regard to winning matches in 2 based on my skill in 1 and just get better over time with practice.

And thanks for letting me know about the Baller! Although in my experience once you shoot it the other person realizes and sets it to “inksplode” so the best approach is to run unless you have 3 or 4 team members in the same area.

shadow-wolf

Zyrac

@shadow-wolf Since you mentioned the Sting Ray as well: the way to deal with that is basically to take full advantage of the fact that it takes a few moments of contact to actually kill you. You can swim right through it and survive, and if it's chasing you, you can outlast it by doing that repeatedly as long as you manage to heal in between.

Zyrac

Twitter:

Kimyonaakuma

@shadow-wolf I wouldn't worry about it too much, I guess it's just an adjustment we have to make...
But I got used to it quickly and I'm not even that good, you should be fine in a week or two

@Tsurii I want to try that! I only seem to see people with Ink Storms and Tenta Missiles though so I might need to wait...

Kimyonaakuma

shadow-wolf

@Kimyonaakuma Makes sense, thanks for the input!

@Tsurii Lol that's pretty neat. I'll try that when I get a chance

@Zyrac Thanks for the info! I'll remember that the next time I face one.

shadow-wolf

NinjaAceTrainer

@shadow-wolf I haven't played Splatoon 1, but I don't think that these specials are broken. Tenta Missiles can be avoided by moving, they give you plenty of notice (the ring around your player) and really can only either spread a bit of isolated ink to somewhere on the map, or get a cheap kill, unless you use them tactically to pressurise opponents already fighting another teammate. Baller can be heard easily and therefore run away from, and swimming is slightly faster than baller running. The baller also has 400hp, 4 times that of a normal Inkling, and once that runs out, the special stops immediately. Baller also only does 50 damage per contact hit (when it runs into you), and this can actually be reduced with Bomb Defense, even just 1 sub slot of it, so that it takes potentially 3 contact hits to kill. The inksplosion takes a few seconds to detonate, and you can use that time to escape. If you're on the outer reaches of the explosion, you'll actually be propelled away from the player, so you can recollect yourself before fighting/fleeing from them. Stingray is similar to Killer Wail, but in many ways worse. Note again that I haven't played Splatoon 1, and I'm just going off of what I've seen online. Killer Wail is slower, but also much wider, so better for dominating space. Stingray can dominate space, but because it's so comparatively thin, it needs a wielder who can aim well and follow foes. It isn't good for total area denial like the Killer Wail. I would describe Stingray as more of a 'Charger +', a long range killing tool that requires being able to follow foes.

Just your everday ninja, who may also be an ace trainer.

Maxz

@Kimyonaakuma We've had freaky paranoid responses to Splatfests ever since the first. I remember all the Mayo/Ketchup conspiracy theories that people took the time to concoct and commit to. It's kind of dispiriting, but what can you do... At the end of the day, isn't it like 2-4 Sea Snails separating the winners from the losers? It completely doesn't matter, and as you say, the Splatfests are just a wonderful celebration of stupid things and anyone who gets exercised over the result needs a dose of perspective. Also, you'd think that with 90% of people cheating (as was claimed), the results might have been more skewed than 51%/49%.

@shadow-wolf With regards to the Specials, I think there are a few tips which can help take the, err... sting out of them. For the Sting Ray itself, it's worth nothing that if the user can't see you they'll probably swing the weapon around left and right hoping to find and pick off as many people as they can. However, introducing even a slight bit of height can throw them off, and swimming up some surface can often put you out of the line of fire. Also, unlike the Killer Wail, the Sting Ray needs constant management and leaves the user very vulnerable, so if they attack from closer up, you can normally rush them and finish them off. The Baller is slow, and can be slowed down further (and even broken) with gun fire (your weapon's range will dictate how safe this is). Maybe running a few Swim Speed Up would make it seem less threatening. If fact, this goes for all three weapons; Swim Speed Up makes escape a lot simpler. The Baller also takes a long time between detonation and explosion, meaning it's often easy to escape if you were keeping your distance anyway. Again, Swim Speed Up will make this simpler. Finally, for the Missiles, I'd just say run. Or rather swim. Preferable with Swim Speed Up, and preferably not in the direction of another teammate.

But I guess all my advice really boils down to is: Swim Speed Up.

EDIT: I suppose another point worth making is that it's generally quite difficult for most Specials in Spla2oon to OHKO you from full health, but they can often be 'the straw that breaks the camel's back'. Generally keeping an eye on your health, and retreating to give yourself time to recover can often be the difference between surviving a Special and not. There's plenty of stuff that can almost kill you in the game, so giving yourself time to recover between bouts can help you weather the (ink) storm.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic