Forums

Topic: Splatoon 2

Posts 4,241 to 4,260 of 5,014

Grumblevolcano

There's huge Splatoon news on June 9th.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

MarcelRguez

Who's betting on anime? I'm betting on anime.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

@MarcelRguez Yeah though I like the Nintendo Life article comments section idea of all Splatoon Wii U content coming to Splatoon 2 a lot more.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

jump

^Anime doesn't seem shocking tho.

In terms of shocking maybe Splatoon themed DLC for other Ninty games, some kind of world tour for the Squid Sisters/Off the Hook or a Splatoon spinoff.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Grumblevolcano

Nothing outside of Splatoon going multiplatform (as in playable on Xbox/Playstation) would really seem shocking though.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

@MarcelRguez That wouldn't be shocking as other Nintendo franchises have gotten mobile games.

Grumblevolcano

Dogorilla

jump wrote:

some kind of world tour for the Squid Sisters/Off the Hook

I think this is fairly likely. It wouldn't exactly be shocking but it would explain why they said 'the world'.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

ValhallaOutcast

I bought Splatoon day 1 but only really played the the story
Looking for people that play Splatoon and wouldn't mind a low level (Level 5) player joining them

Friend Code SW-4365-4821-7317

Maxz

It's worth being aware that, with the source of the statement being Shounen Jump, its default voice for 'reporting' could be as overdriven and hyperbolic as much of the manga it publishes. Or its front cover:

Untitled

This is assuming the source is Shounen Jump and not another magazine under the Jump line. Although it might not make much difference.

Anyway, some level of hyperbole wouldn't be unexpected.

That doesn't mean I'm not excited though!

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Skid

Man, this game can get me on full tilt one day and then on the next it be a breeze.

Can't wait for the "shocking" news. More splatoon is almost always a good thing.

Switch
Username: Skid
Friend Code: SW-7539-3214-1413

NaviAndMii

MarcelRguez wrote:

Chances of it being an anime increasing.

Yeah, that's my gut feeling too - or some kind of unexpected 'Splatoon X [insert anime here]' crossover perhaps...not expecting it to be news regarding a game update - but I'll prepare myself to be 'shocked' just in case!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Missile

GO TEAM MIKEY!!!!

Anyway the avarege of the team mickey is really low.... better keep practicing with the Inkbrush

Edited on by Missile

Missile
Switch friend code : SW-0881-5546-8403

Maxz

The plot thickens...

In response to last week's announcement from Weekly Jump [edit: which never actually happened - see post below], Nintendo have responded with:

Nintendo wrote:

"Although we do not normally comment on rumors and speculation, we can confirm that, contrary to the rumors circulating since yesterday, the Japanese weekly magazine in question has not written any article about an announcement related to Splatoon for June 9. With which, it is a baseless rumour."

However, hot on the heels of this refutal, CoroCoro have dedicated an entire page of the magazine to the announcement that on June 9th, "Splatoon 2's Greatest Mystery Will Be Exposed". Not only that, but it has teased an emblem which it claims to be the sole lead on the mystery. It also claims that upon identifying this emblem, information has surfaced on top secret Splatoon 2 plans which CoroCoro News is now pursuing.

Elsewhere on the page, it reuses the "shock the world" phrase which Weekly Jump initially used to set the rumour mill in motion [edit: no Jump magazine ever used this phrase - see post below], and claims the website (corocoro-news.jp) will be the epicentre of said "shock".

Untitled

What a thrilling turn of events!

It's also very noteworthy that CoroCoro specifically refers to Splatoon 2, rather than Splatoon as a franchise.

Edited on by Maxz

HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Maxz

Okay, so an important addendum is necessary for the above post. I've done some digging, and it turns out that Jump magazine never even wrote anything about the Splatoon announcement on June 9th (which is in line with Nintendo's statement). This part always seemed iffy, because as far as I'm aware, nothing simply titled 'Jump Magazine' (which was given as the source) even exists. 'Jump' is instead a unifying brand that covers a whole line of magazines, each with separate names and contents and audiences (for the full list, see here). Even "Weekly Jump" doesn't exist; instead there is Weekly Shōnen Jump and Weekly Young Jump (which ironically is aimed at a slightly older audience).

It seems that the confusion comes from the fact that the source most people were using is this site here, which only has a couple of lines on the subject and doesn't even say which magazine the news comes from. Nor does it mention that the news is tied specifically to Splatoon 2 (rather than Splatoon as a franchise). In fact, despite the "shock the world" line being lifted from the CoroCoro page, the rest of the post doesn't really line up, with the writer remarking that it seems too early for a sequel - not something in question when looking at the CoroCoro page where 'Splatoon 2' is plastered everywhere.

Anyway, what seems to have happened is that Gematsu assumed the original source was one of the Jump magazines (apparently because other news from the given site was Jump-related). Presumably the rest of the Western media took this assumption for granted. I know I did.

This then forced Nintendo to clarify that no magazine under the Jump line had written anything of the sort, though unhelpfully they didn't point to the fact that CoroCoro actually had written something very similar. Also, throwing in the phrase "baseless rumour" didn't really help clear things up. This caused people to believe that no announcement was due, which only created more confusion when the CoroCoro scans came out confirming basically all the information (and more) that had previously been attributed to 'Jump'.

Anyway, unless Nintendo intervenes again, I think it's safe to say there will be news on the 9th of June, and it will be Splatoon 2 related. Whether or not it's shocking enough to knock the world off its hinges remains to be seen.

I guess the moral of this story is mainly just 'check your sources'. We've had all sorts of rumours flying around on the assumption that the announcement is not Splatoon 2 related, when the CoroCoro scans clearly state that it is.

Instead we can all start gossiping about what that emblem could mean. Let the next wave of wild speculation begin!

Edited on by Maxz

HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

NinjaAceTrainer

Hmm. Interesting. I certainly took that information at face value. As for the emblem, it looks like a number of things. The number 7, those squid phones, and that target-like Mii eye. The target eye is likely just a decoration, but we can safely assume that it isn't related to the Octo Expansion because of the squid phone/squid shaped tail part. The number 7 seems like it would be a prominent part of whatever this signifies. Where have we seen the number 7 used before? My first thought is the number of Salmon Run bosses. My second thought is Squidbeak. They must have 7 agents because agent 8 is an Octoling. The biggest mystery to me though, is that right side path past Murch. It seems significant, but has no use.

Just your everday ninja, who may also be an ace trainer.

Octane

@Maxz Thanks for that. You can't expect news sites to do the digging these days, so it's always appreciated when someone else does the actual research instead.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic