Forums

Topic: Splatoon 2

Posts 4,241 to 4,260 of 4,530

Zyrac

@NapalmPsalm Nice one, mate. I don't mean to imply the weapon is worthless, really; it just comes to mind as the obvious example of something hardly anyone uses.

@Maxz Isn't there already similar matchmaking in S+, though? I know the numbers aren't displayed in the lobby, but you can see them in the square and I don't find myself ordering gear from double-digit terrors after putting my perpetually S+0 squid through her paces. We'll see what happens, though; maybe this will still tighten things up. Either way I do agree it's a positive change that should make things more interesting for high-level players, while relieving them of the threat of dropping five ranks for suffering a losing streak at the wrong time.

Available for online play around 7-10PM UK time most weekdays, whenever on weekends.
Pullblox levels | Fallblox levels | Ful...

Switch Friend Code: SW-6987-6502-7004 | 3DS Friend Code: 0044-3085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: Zyrac23 | Twitter:

NapalmPsalm

@Octane Gamexplain had an interesting take. It looks like some are going to be really short, focus on a certain task, or focus on using specials properly. It was a good watch, but we'll have to wait and see how it really turns out.

Edit:
@Zyrac I didn't think you were saying it was bad. Like you said, no one ever uses the weapon. I like to be a "try hard" with those weapons.

Edited on by NapalmPsalm

Switch
Username: NaplmPsalm
Friend Code: SW-7539-3214-1413
Splatoon Ranks: SZ: S+0 | TC: S | RM: S | CB: A-

Maxz

@Zyrac Possibly! Maybe it's all going in behind the scenes. I bump into ranks of all levels (within S+) in the plaza. A decent number of 50s, but also plenty of 1s and 0s. I really don't know though.

What I have found - or at least THINK I've found - is that as you move up the ranks, the game will match you with comparatively weaker players to balance out the teams. This is basic matchmaking and makes sense; stronger players are matched with weaker ones to keep the average on either team balanced - yhe game would be broken without some similar system in place. However, with the current breadth of skill levels withinin the 51 available ranks of S+, this can mean that the game essentially expects the one stronger player to carry the entire team. Obviously I mainly notice it when I'm feeling salty about my own efforts going 'unrewarded', but I've also spotted a similar thing on the opponent's team where despite losing l, they have one player getting 15-20 splats and the rest of the team barely hitting 5. So it's my impression that currently the entire S+ pool is used for each S+ match (I'm pretty sure I've bumped into some 'best in Europe' players online even when I was S+0), and they simply try to balance the teams from whatever 8 players turn up, leading to some teams with a weird skew and over-dependance on one player.

But it's mainly speculation, and perhaps even a touch of paranoia on my part. What is for sure is that scooping the top 40 ranks out of S+ should make both S+ and X a little more consistent, so that's good!

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly

NinjaAceTrainer

@Maxz Yeah, I'm pretty sure that all S+ players are together. Makes playing in S+ feel really broken. Atleast it's so broken that I get shifted down to rank S...

Just your everday ninja, who may also be an ace trainer. Link to the NL Inklings here!
https://discord.gg/6bsgt3t

Zyrac

H-3 Nozzlenose D is this week's weapon:

Available for online play around 7-10PM UK time most weekdays, whenever on weekends.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6987-6502-7004 | 3DS Friend Code: 0044-3085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: Zyrac23 | Twitter:

iLikeUrAttitude

Finally reached max rank in salmon run

Good... good
Let the weeb flow through you...

Switch Friend Code: SW-1693-4995-1592 | 3DS Friend Code: 3453-9931-7768

-Green-

Nice to see the Chirpy Chirps returning

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

iLikeUrAttitude

Just curious to know, how do you all utilize motion controls in Splatoon 2? I normally play with the joycons separated for more accuracy, it feels more comfortable to me.

Good... good

Zyrac

@iLikeUrAttitude I use the Joy-Con grip, I guess just because that's more similar to the old Wii U Gamepad controls. People like to insist the Pro Controller is vastly better than the grip but I've never felt any need to shell out for one. I'm fine with playing in handheld mode as well.

Ryzaerian

I bought this game about a week after getting my Switch. Didn’t get it initially because I felt the colors were aimed at children and “how fun could spraying ink be?”

You may laugh at me now.

Friend Code: SW-4697-0836-1490

Currently playing: Splatoon 2, Zelda: BotW, ARMS, Super Mario Odyssey, Doom, MK8D, Nine Parchments, Guns Gore & Cannoli.

“...and we will send you to whatever god you wish.”

iLikeUrAttitude

@Ryzaerian AHAHAHAHA

Good... good

Octane

Opinion Fact: Salmon Run is only fun when the weapons are good.

Octane

shani

Just a friendly reminder: The NL (=NintendoLife) Inklings tournament will (hopefully!) take place this Splatterday, March 24th!

If you want to participate, just join our Discord server: https://discord.gg/53QfEUF

You can find all the relevant info in the channels #teambuilding and #nltournaments

@Octane I agree, it's one of the reasons I don't like that mode too much (the other is playing against the AI instead of human beings).
I don't get why they don't let you choose your gear and weapons like in all the other modes...

Edited on by shani

My personal game of the year? Legend Of Marina: Splat of the child. Ah no, I meant Legend of Zelda: Breath of the SPLATOOOOON!

Wanna play some Switch games together or just chat about games? Join our NL Inklings Discord serve...

Switch Friend Code: SW-3298-8343-1900 | Nintendo Network ID: shani_ace | Twitter:

meleebrawler

If everyone had their way in Salmon Run, they'd just pick Splattershots or other all-around weapons all the time simply to cover all bases, just to not be ''that guy'' with the charger during a Salmonid Rush. Even if you couldn't directly call out/insult others for their weapon choices due to lack of voice chat with randoms, there'd still be plenty of other online outlets to do so.

It's healthier for everyone to direct toxicity at a game rather than towards people.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

iLikeUrAttitude

Why does y'all hate the charger in Salmon Run? So what the weapon requires a little more skill

Good... good

Zyrac

Being able to pick weapons in Salmon Run would be boring. The mode relies heavily on randomness to keep itself interesting.

And I like using chargers there, especially the E-Liter. If it were possible, I'd volunteer to always have that weapon when it's in rotation. Then I could have my fun and other people wouldn't have to moan about it being there.

iLikeUrAttitude

@Zyrac People are just afraid to GIT GUD with chargers and rather use weapons that hold their hand.

Good... good

Lroy

Just wondering what level most causal players of SPLATOON 2 are at. What's a good number to set as a target to reach before then concentrating on other areas of the game?

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 |
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot 🚀|
Retro Gamer

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic