Forums

Topic: Splatoon 2

Posts 2,521 to 2,540 of 5,014

GoldenGamer88

I must admit, I've changed sides to Team Flight. The thought of being able to fly to Japan to buy games there, visit E3 and Gamescom without having to pay for expensive flights and train tickets was just too awesome to decline.

@Nicolai Uh ... is there something you want to tell us, Marina ...?

Join the NL Inklings Discord Server: https://discord.gg/5gf7xg3

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-8427-0621-0325, Username: Montillo
PSN: Montillo88

Nintendo Network ID: Montillo

Zyrac

@Rafx One bit of all-purpose advice is to maximise your situational awareness. Check the map whenever you have a moment, and watch for the spread of enemy ink. That way you have an idea of where the bad guys are. Also pay attention to the icons at the top of screen. These show whether each player is alive and whether they have their special, so it helps you know whether to play offensively or defensively.

When you're splatted, you can get back into the fray with a Super Jump, but don't do this every time. Your landing point is visible to the enemy well in advance and you don't want them killing you before you can do anything. Base your decison on the ink around the target player and the number of living enemy players.

Zyrac

Twitter:

bluedogrulez

@Rafx: 1. Never super jump. 2. The starter weapon is ok, but I really do not like its special--the ink armor. New weapons available at level 4. 3. Try not to die. I am very aggressive, but I know you cannot stay in one place for more than a few seconds, and sometimes you need to retreat. 4. Lastly, resist pressing too far forward. Inking around the opponent's base is futile. You will die, your ink will get covered and they will slip behind you FTW.

Asphalt 9 / Siege Engine FTW

TuVictus

I picked Flight, half because that's what I'd pick anyway and half because I know everyone is going to pick Invisibility because of Marina and I would like to fight people that aren't on my team.

TuVictus

Rafx

@bluedogrulez @Zyrac
Thanks for the advice! I have been over looking the icons up top.

Should I really be using motion controls? I don't really care for that but if it's going to help I will force myself to adjust.

3DS FC: 3755-0786-2046

bluedogrulez

@Rafx: you don't have an option : ). I use the pro controller, which I love, but aiming is still motion controlled. I am more effective with the pro controller and a big screen than using the Switch in handheld mode, but that's just me....

Asphalt 9 / Siege Engine FTW

Nicolai

bluedogrulez wrote:

@Rafx: 1. Never super jump. 2. The starter weapon is ok, but I really do not like its special--the ink armor. New weapons available at level 4. 3. Try not to die. I am very aggressive, but I know you cannot stay in one place for more than a few seconds, and sometimes you need to retreat. 4. Lastly, resist pressing too far forward. Inking around the opponent's base is futile. You will die, your ink will get covered and they will slip behind you FTW.

I disagree with almost every one of those, lol. 1. Get use to super jumping, but know that it's a huge risk and if you're getting splat as soon as you land, you're jumping too close to enemy ink. Pay close attention to the map, and when in doubt, just make the swim up there. Or invest in some stealth jump shoes. 2. The starter weapon is awesome, and the Special is really nice as it helps you as well as your teammates. 3. There's nothing wrong with trading a few splats now and again, but avoiding getting splat is always good. 4. Pressing forward is good, especially if you have the support of your teammates. I'll add a 5: Don't ever wait around for too long hiding from enemies, sneaking up on them, or waiting for one to fall in your trap. Remember, a splat only awards you about 10 seconds (give or take) of an enemy out of commission. If you spent more than ten seconds waiting around for that splat without inking or holding anyone back, then you didn't gain anything for your team. Be sure to splat quickly and ink around as much as you can immediately after.

What it really comes down to is learning the skill of paying attention to your map and your teammates. Never push unless your squad currently outnumbers theirs, never super jump unless the map tells you it's a safe area, never use Ink Armor until all 3 of your teammates have respawned (shown at the top of the HUD), learn to balance working with your teammates to complete objectives without standing too close or too far from them, and try your best to dish more splats than you take.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Zyrac

I actually do agreee that in a Turf War, there are times when you shouldn't press the advantage too hard. If you already control most of the map, you should focus on keeping it that way. Trying to ink the whole enemy side is a needless risk, although how far you can safely go depends on the stage.

@Rafx Dual stick is honestly the worst way to control aiming in a shooter. Getting used to motion control is well worth it, especially with the more precise weapons.

Edited on by Zyrac

Zyrac

Twitter:

Maxz

@Rafx I'd agree with @Zyrac's point about situational awareness, both on a large and small scale. It helps to have a good idea of the general condition of the map to inform where you should be focusing your efforts (and where to stay away from). But it's also good to have an awareness of your immediate surroundings, and to know what routes of escape are open to you. Obviously inking those escape routes in the first place is a vital part of this.

Standoffs with another squid are often decided in a split second, and certain weapons will have certain advantages against others in certain situations. Obviously, if you can outrange someone, then you have the advantage as they can't even hit you. But if they manage to get close enough that they can hit you, then their shorter range might be compensated by a higher fire rate, meaning you might get splatted while they can walk free and potentially recover. Speaking of which, being conscious of how much damage you've taken should also inform the decision you make. There's no explicit health meter, but the more intense ink bubbling around the corners your screen become, the closer you are to death. If you've just won a skirmish with another player, but taken some damage in the process, it's generally wiser to find something safe to do while your health recovers, rather than charge around looking for another enemy.

Another thing I'd add is to stay almost as aware of your own teammates as of the opposing team. This is possibly more useful in Ranked, and even then can sometimes be completely discarded if you manage to pull off some amazing surprise solo attack, but generally speaking smooth teamwork can make all the difference to a match. It's a slightly hard thing to describe, as staying too close to another player will mean you're as risk of being double-splatted, while staying too far away will mean you're unable to assist them and vice-versa. Still, it can be good to think of your team as one giant multi-armed unit, into which you want to fit as efficiently as possible. You don't need direct communication to achieve this, just a good awareness of where people are, what they're doing, and what you can do to slot into it.

Some of the easier targets to pick off are those already engaged in a fight with a teammate, so attacking those opponents from a different angle can give them twice as much to worry about. You can only shoot in one direction at once, so trying to fend off two people coming from two different directions is really tricky.

Anyway, in short, stay aware of... stuff (ink coverage, enemies position/number, teammate position/number, etc.), learn the limits of your weapon, take opportunities when you have an advantage, and give yourself escape routes for when the odds are against you; simply staying alive will stop your Special Meter from dropping, and give your teammates someone to Super Jump to (do use this feature, but intelligently and cautiously).

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY HAVE FUN, HOORAY FOR FUN!

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Qwertyninty

Couple questions... does the weapons rating actually improve the weapon? Like make it a better weapon to use? Also the upgrades on the clothes.... How do they work?

Qwertyninty

Zyrac

@Qwertyninty You mean the freshness rating in Turf War? It doesn't affect the weapon, it just gives you bonus experience for every five points.

When you upgrade your gear through battling, it adds a random sub ability, which has 30% of the power of a main ability. Depending on the gear branding, a certain ability will be more likely to appear (see here for a list). If you talk to Murch outside the lobby, you can pay to turn the sub abilities on your gear into ability chunks, and collecting enough of those will let you set whatever sub abilities you want. You can also use the Super Sea Snails earned from Splatfests to add more slots to your gear, or reroll the abilities if they're already full.

Zyrac

Twitter:

Namco

Teamwork in Splatoon? Sometimes I see synergy but actual good teamwork seems like a myth... I often look at the map to see where I'm needed the most. Unfortunately the majority of players in ranked simply go straight for the target, repeatedly on their own. I wish there was an option to shout something like ''Let's attack them simultaneously!'' Instead of just ''This way''. I've seen too many players trying to take on 4 enemies at once. Don't do that except if you're a Splatoon god.

Edited on by Namco

A piece of the Triforce appeared before you! (>'.')> Touch it now!

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2624-1857 | Nintendo Network ID: Acegamer-62

-Green-

Teamwork is more apparent in Salmon Run since things are far more controlled than normal online battles. The issue is teamwork is difficult in Splatoon mostly due to lack of effective and easy communication and general shortness of matches. Turf War is also a pretty mixed bag overall.

The lower ranks and/or non-squads in Splatoon are very much a challenge of carrying teams and less so of actually coordinating teammates. Since you can't simply tell your partner to watch your back.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Spoony_Tech

GoldenGamer88 wrote:

I must admit, I've changed sides to Team Flight. The thought of being able to fly to Japan to buy games there, visit E3 and Gamescom without having to pay for expensive flights and train tickets was just too awesome to decline.

If you were invisible why would you pay for any flight or train anywhere? Just hop aboard and you're off.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

I'm probably very late on this but Splatfests aren't the only way to get Super Sea Snails.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Zyrac

So Lost Outpost is available online now. If you haven't played it yet, here's a look at what it's like:
Untitled
(There's also these big areas of grating outside that you can't ink...)

Zyrac

Twitter:

meleebrawler

@Spoony_Tech How do you invisibly get onto trains and planes without pushing or bumping people waiting to properly get in? And you're just as affected as anyone else if they get delayed for whatever reason.

@Zyrac You can make anything in Salmon Run seem awful with enough Steel Eels. Besides, your team in that screenshot still looks to have a good shot at victory.

Maybe it's just people in Profreshional being really good, but I haven't lost a single match in Lost Outpost so far. The building is completely inkable, letting you cheese out a lot of close range Salmonids, or just escape through one of the many windows. You'd think the northern net area would be problematic, but Salmonids rarely approach from there in my experience. Even in high tide, I feel like I have more freedom of movement than the Spawning Grounds, which has pretty much half the terrain not inkable AND narrow. In fact, I think the low tide is actually the most difficult of the three maps, at least if you get a lot of Stingers and/or Flyfish.

Edited on by meleebrawler

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

-Green-

I wonder if they'll add more Salmon Run bosses in the future. Maybe something like a larger and cooler Salmon version of the Tentakook that goes around screwing around the battle field by dropping bombs and laying mines. Stuff like that. Most of the bosses seem to be based on variations of the Specials.

Maxz

@Sir_Anthony Synergy is a much better word. Let's go with that.

Regarding the Splatfest, while I'm firmly on Team Flight, a slight downside did cross my mind earlier.

...Wouldn't it make you fat? I mean, you'd probably never bother to walk anywhere ever again (or cycle/rollerblade/skateboard/etc). You'd just step out of the door, fly to wherever you were going, and then probably sit down again. Maybe you wouldn't even need to walk out the door, you'd just fly directly out of your bedroom window. Either way, you wouldn't be getting a whole lot of exercise. Unless flying was exercise, in which case your flight distance would be limited by your stamina and/or food supplies.

Superman gets away with it because he's, well... super, but there's no guarantee that anyone else receiving the power of flight would stay quite as trim. Unless you were disciplined, you might end up making quite a rotund silhouette against the sky.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

-Green-

How do you beat someone who outranges you in normal combat.

Edit: I find that against a competent player I'm usually just forced to run away and hope my teammates can ambush the for me.

Edited on by -Green-

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic