Forums

Topic: Splatoon 2

Posts 2,421 to 2,440 of 5,014

TuVictus

Ill try it out in local play and see how it is. I'm super glad theres gonna be better weapons in rotation too. Salmon run is my favorite mode

TuVictus

Nicolai

Eh, I'm still having major trouble with the Dynamo. I can't even tell the difference in range, and it doesn't really solve any of its problems.

I mostly just want its horizontal fling to ink better. I miss being able to clear most of a zone in just one swipe. It's not just that the range is shorter now, but even within its range, it produced thinly-scattered ink like a drizzler. It really doesn't help anything. Any weapon can cover a path in front better than the Dynamo's horizontal fling.

I feel like if you can't put the horizontal fling to good use, then the weapon is basically a much-worse version of a splat charger. It "charges" the same time and lays a similar ink trail, but with a much shorter range, a much slower swim speed, way worse ink efficiency, and draws way more attention to itself. All of that just for a slightly wider hitbox that is even wider at close range in case you're ambushed (which a splat charger with the right sub weapon can handle even better anyway).

Is ANYONE having any better luck with it? Is anyone else even using it? Has anyone had any worse luck against it?

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Namco

@Zyrac impressive score, congrats

Untitled

I'll be sure to beat it one day, somehow... So, challenge accepted

A piece of the Triforce appeared before you! (>'.')> Touch it now!

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2624-1857 | Nintendo Network ID: Acegamer-62

-Green-

I don't think they actually buffed the Dynamo's maximum range. What it seems that they did is increase it damage range.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Nicolai

@-Green- That's what I mean. I was using the word 'range' in a general sense.

Got married.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

-Green-

The Dynamo is a very tricky weapon to balance simply due to it being what it is. A roller with huge range and coverage. If given too much it can become absolutely disgusting similar to how it was in Splatoon 1.

I'll never forget how they originally planned for it to also be able to deflect shots.

Edited on by -Green-

Nicolai

@-Green- It never felt overpowered when I used it in Splatoon 1, personally. It relied so much on your teammates, that it could really only turn the tide of battle if we were already in good standing. It was one of those weapons that was totally helpless when the other team was winning. The fling took so long that it was easy to take advantage of if you knew what you were doing. I splatted many Dynamos back in that day, even when I managed to scrape S rank.

Right now, I feel like a huge detriment to my team. (Not that I should have been playing rainmaker, but) the last Rainmaker game I played, the guy with the RM literally walked right around me and went straight to the goal and landed it, just because there was this tiny ledge preventing me from abushing him. Each slosh wasn't capable of inking that path. Just before he landed it, someone found me and put me out of my misery while I flopped helplessly around the ledge and couldn't even aim at him.

That wouldn't have happened with any other weapon, let me tell you. The dynamo doesn't need any boost in range or damage, it just needs to ink a little better.

I've been using sub power ups, though, and I have yet to get a really good set of ink savers. Maybe I'll do better when I can manage a few more flings before I run out.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.

Zyrac

I think there's been some overreacting to roller nerfs in general; I mean, I've seen some moaning about the Carbon, but I've been doing fine with it. The fact that I never really used it (or any roller) in the original probably helps me enjoy it now, since I'm not missing what was lost.

But the Dynamo does seem like it may have a problem. That giant horizontal fling was kinda its whole purpose. I'd think it would work OK if they gave it the original range, but didn't allow it to one-hit-kill from much of a distance, with the vertical fling being better for that.

Zyrac

Twitter:

-Green-

They nerfed it too much in and since Splat 1. Which honestly seems to be somewhat of a trend in the beginning of Splat 2.

As for whether it was dumb in Splat 1, I was referring to it at the beginning. It got toned down significantly over the course of the game's life.

Edited on by -Green-

Namco

The Dynamo Roller appears to be totally irrelevant mainly thanks to the Flingza Roller (Lvl 24 unlock) Which combines the long range vertical swing with the fast horizontal swing. It also has the same movement speed as the Carbon Roller but unlike that weapon it still insta kills when you roll over an enemy! Does any other Roller in Splatoon 2 even compare?

EDIT: Its speed is between the Carbon Roller and Splat Roller. Did not meant to say ''same speed''

Edited on by Namco

A piece of the Triforce appeared before you! (>'.')> Touch it now!

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2624-1857 | Nintendo Network ID: Acegamer-62

Nicolai

@-Green- Oh, okay, yeah, it was way too OP the first day it came out. But later on (and probably still, if you go back to Splatoon 1), I felt it was perfectly balanced. It's range wasn't too crazy, and its 100-damage hitbox was only in the center, so you needed aim, but it still had that terrifying presence of inking an incredibly large area from high points. Now if I try to ink areas from high points in Splatoon 2, I either don't get anything done with the horizontal fling, or waste my whole tank of ink (and time) with the verticle fling. I feel like there's nothing redeeming the detrimental amount of time you spend reeling back like a sitting duck this time around.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.

meleebrawler

@Sir_Anthony I very much doubt Flingza has that kind of rolling speed. Maybe it's a little faster than the Splat Roller, but certainly does not match Carbon. It's main weakness is a blind spot in mid-range, where the horizontal swing is too short and the vertical too slow unless you put up a wall first, which is also slow and a big drain on ink.

Anyway, the Dynamo. I think people struggle with it because it's strengths lie in a playstyle most are unaccustomed to using: area lockdown. It stinks at making any kind of offensive push not just due to it's slow attacks, but also it's loadout of mines and the Sting Ray. But instead, they allow the Dynamo to be the backbone of your team, holding down places like the center while the rest of your team marches forward so that in the event a push is thwarted, the opposing team won't be able to counter-attack too effectively. Lay down the mines in obscure locations and cover the main roads with your giant swings; even if you don't effectively land them, the mess they make still makes it difficult for an enemy to advance on you. The Ink Storm is proof of how even tiny spots of ink can be hugely detrimental to movement. But as far as general inking of non-narrow lanes go, the best bet is to fling horizontally far and roll.

It performs best in Splat Zones, does decently in Tower Control and Turf War with good awareness of enemy movement, but rather poorly in Rainmaker as it is too rigid to effectively keep up with the objective.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Nicolai

@meleebrawler I think that's largely how the Dynamo worked in Splatoon 1, only now the ink mines make up for its newfound lack of range. Personally, I felt I was more effective locking down an area when I could just stand in the middle and flick, then flick the other way, or lob a splat bomb wherever I want. In Splatoon 2, the Inkmines really help, but the Dynamo still suffers in locking down pathways with its basic fling, especially with tricky slippery opponents or being outnumbered, or facing someone running ink resistance. This is especially true now that there appear to be more ledges and ramps in stages now. Great for the Slosher, terrible for the Dynamo.

Got married.

SharkAttackU

@Sir_Anthony I love the Sploosh-o-matic for Turf War as well. It has "ink"credible coverage. It allows you to ink areas quickly and completely. It's deadly in close quarters with enough range to take out a roller who forgot how to fling.

SharkAttackU

meleebrawler

@Nicolai Eh, personally I find the Dynamo still handles ledges and opponents in high locations better than other rollers. Not as good as dedicated sloshers, but still respectable torrents if aimed right. Try lateral swinging then hopping while aiming upwards to get people in the center of Starfish Mainstage, for example.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

erv

Me and @spanjard are doing a salmon run. If two more want to join, let us know

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Spoony_Tech

@Nicolai If that's the weapon available in Salmon I hate it. It's so slow at everything it does and run out of ink and your screwed with fast enemies.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Skid

@Spoony_Tech Yeah, using it was not a lot a fun in Salmon Run. I found out real quick to let other people gather the eggs while you stay on the perches that only have one route to get to you and you bail back and forth between the two. Its basically only good for the rush rounds where you can leave it on the ground and slowly (and I mean slowly) move forward and let the chum and goldies kill themselves while your teammate stay behind you.

Switch
Username: Skid
Friend Code: SW-7539-3214-1413

Zyrac

Salmon Run is indeed a bit rough right now. I don't think the Dynamo Roller is that bad by itself - it does do a lot of damage - but with that and the Splat Charger you have two team members who can't do much at close range. It also seems oddly difficult to revive people with the Dynamo; I actually ran out of ink just whacking two people at point-blank range to no effect. Better to roll over them, I guess.

All worth it, though, ''cause I just got four Swim Speed up chunks as a superbonus. Sweet.

Zyrac

Twitter:

GoldenGamer88

@Zyrac Oh you lucky Inkling you! Wish I had that much luck with my shoes whose brand is likely to give my Swim Speed Up but they wouldn't wanna do that for me. Already scrubbed three times. Like come on, just four more and I could finish my first gear set!

Join the NL Inklings Discord Server: https://discord.gg/5gf7xg3

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-8427-0621-0325, Username: Montillo
PSN: Montillo88

Nintendo Network ID: Montillo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic