Forums

Topic: Splatoon 2

Posts 2,221 to 2,240 of 5,014

TuVictus

Eh, Switch from the same two to another same two? Guess I'm spoiled by having lots of stages to choose from.

TuVictus

meleebrawler

@Spoony_Tech The only ''slow'' part of the Flingza is the jump attack, it's rolling speed and power are the same as the normal Splat Roller (ie strong enough to run over Chums easily) and ground swings are quite fast so crowd control isn't too bad with this one. Brushes also always have that ''run away'' utility, which is more valuable than you'd think for surviving.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

shani

@Operative2-0 No what I mean is, for example, Starfish Mainstage in TW is different from Starfish Mainstage in RM is different from Starfish Mainstage in TC is different from Starfish Mainstage in SZ.
With every mode comes a different variation that changes how the map feels and sometimes even its whole character.

But I get what you mean in general. At times I also felt the same, but then I played some ranked matches and realized that I had never played that mode on that map before. And therefore I was completely clueless which path is the best path and how to react to certain situations on that map in that specific mode.
On the other hand there are map/mode combination I've played a couple of times already (e.g. Sturgeon Shipyard and Moray Towers in SZ were a piece of cake yesterday) and I feel quite confident playing them. But not with all combinations yet.

Besides, let's not forget that there are still newcomers and slow learners (or people who are too busy right now) who need more time for this. There will be more maps soon but let's not rush things.

Sometimes I'd even prefer if there had been only one ranked mode (SZ) at launch, then TC a few months later and then RM a few months after that.
That's how they did it in Splatoon 1 and by the time RM arrived, everyone was ready for it.
But right now many players still don't know how to play RM, they're completely clueless.

Then again, I'd really be furious if I couldn't play all three modes right now.

Edited on by shani

My GOTY? Legend Of Zelda: Splat of the child. Ah no, I meant LoZ: Breath of the SPLATOOOON!

NLInklings Discord server | My Youtube channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-3298-8343-1900 | Nintendo Network ID: shani_ace | Twitter:

TuVictus

@shani wait really? Oh wow, I really do apologize, I had no idea. I don't play ranked, and the few times I did I guess I hadn't been familiar with the stage enough to notice. But this info you've given me makes me excited to see what changes there are!

TuVictus

shani

@Operative2-0 Glad to read that.
These might be only slight changes in some cases but can really make a difference. And I think in most cases it seems immediately clear why they what they changed for each respective mode.
Have fun exploring.

BTW you can keep track of all map/mode combinations via the app. It shows you your win percentage per map for every ranked mode, so you can easily see which ones you haven't played yet (for example I haven't played Humpback and Musselforge in RM or Port Mackerel in SZ yet).

Edited on by shani

My GOTY? Legend Of Zelda: Splat of the child. Ah no, I meant LoZ: Breath of the SPLATOOOON!

NLInklings Discord server | My Youtube channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-3298-8343-1900 | Nintendo Network ID: shani_ace | Twitter:

Maxz

Yeah, they're no big changes - especially not visually - but they can have a definite impact on the, err... 'topology' of the stage, if that's the right word. They can change which parts are accessible from where by installing extra platforms and barriers, and that can significantly alter how you move around. I wouldn't say it makes them like 'brand new stages' but it definitely makes a difference.

Think of how they rejigged the multiplayer maps for the Octoling stages in singleplayer, and then drastically turn down your expectations.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

The Reef in RM is so broken, I just had a match that lasted about 10 seconds...

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

rallydefault

@shani
I'm playing the regular match turf war rotation, so the matches are like 3 minutes. If I play for an hour (which I do frequently), that's like 15ish matches on the same 2 maps. If I play for 2 hours (not as frequent, but sometimes) that's 30 matches on the same 2 maps.

It gets boring.

I know you're going to tell me to play other modes, and yes, I've played the other modes, but I like turf war, and that's what I play, so that's what I'm talking about.

I also don't understand what Overwatch weapons have to do with making my comparison invalid as I was discussing maps, not weapons. Your counter will probably be that Splatoon's allowance for equipment and weapon switching makes the maps play differently. That's fine, but my Overwatch comparison stands: you can "switch" weapons by simply choosing a different character. Overwatch has character switching, Splatoon has items switching: both systems provide the same chances for maps to "play" differently, therefore the comparison is valid.

I don't care how many times I switch my weapon: playing a stage for the 20th time in the span of an hour and a half is boring.

My opinion, obviously.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Nicolai

meleebrawler wrote:

@Spoony_Tech The only ''slow'' part of the Flingza is the jump attack, it's rolling speed and power are the same as the normal Splat Roller (ie strong enough to run over Chums easily) and ground swings are quite fast so crowd control isn't too bad with this one. Brushes also always have that ''run away'' utility, which is more valuable than you'd think for surviving.

That's come in handy, but in my opinion, it doesn't make up for its horrid efficiency. It pretty much ensures that you'll get yourself into a dangerous situation and have to flee, where I'd prefer a weapon that can handle it in the first place.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

meleebrawler

@Nicolai You really only have yourself to blame for getting in trouble with a brush. You only need to watch the Cohocks, it can handle the rest of the lesser Salmonids just fine with it's arc. Chances are if you're getting overwhelmed with it the round is nearing it's end anyway where running is justified, but if you must fight back you could always get some distance to use your special.

As for the e-liter, yes it's cumbersome in close quarters, but man oh man it hits like a truck. It one-shots so many things that are normally a pain; Cohocks, Steel Eels, Steelheads of course, and Scrappers also are stunned with a full charge. Whenever I used it I just prioritized any high-hp target and left the weaker ones to the more close-combat oriented teammates; the weapons in this rotation actually complemented each other pretty well. It dominates low tide and though it struggles on Spawning Ground's high tide, I imagine it'd be a different story on Marooner's bay with it's long, narrow walkways.

Edited on by meleebrawler

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

-Green-

I was playing online when I entered this strange lobby, which was full of a group of trolls. They were probably friends playing online together, and basically what they would do is mess up the matches. Grouping up together and doing nothing, squidbagging and essentially doing a lot of dumb stuff.

At one point a member from my team and from the other team climbed up a post on Sturgeon and camped up there. I was using a Luna so I lacked the range to splat him, not to mention my partner likely was blocking my shots a bit. So I basically just tried continuously to splat him by going up after him, but it failed for the most part. He splatted me several times and continued to squidbag me, but we won in the end. I stayed in the lobby to see what else would happen, but I eventually just left as I got bored of it. It was my first experience with this kind of thing so it was fun yet somewhat annoying.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Spoony_Tech

@meleebrawler High tide is the main problem. You're right about low tide, it does work rather well but you usually get one low tide say every 4 out of 6 matches and 2 of the weapons aren't very good especially with fast enemies.

I will admit I'm part of the problem. I don't use brushes ever and barely use rollers. I also don't use chargers but I can handle those fairly well but the E-Liter against anything fast is certain death.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

veeflames

Man, S+0 (Rainmaker) is brutal. I've now broken the meter two times, but at least I didn't drop a rank... again. At this point, unless I don't have the perfect gear I don't think I'd be able to reach S+50.
Oh, and how brutal is it? Most of the matches I lost were either total easy knockouts for the other team, or they'd win during overtime. Yes, for some reason the other team would win at the last minute That happened in the majority of the matches I lost.

Ah well. At least I was able to rank up in Splat Zones from B+ (now A-). I was actually expecting it to be
a higher rank since I only got one crack on the meter.... I'm guessing it also has to do with your 8-Squid Power Rating as well? I'm not sure what mine was before I ranked up, though.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Nicolai

On the topic of bugs from a page ago, in Salmon Run I came across a golden egg that didn't get reset when the wave changed. I couldn't interact with it, though. No free point for my team.

@meleebrawler I dunno why I have trouble then; it seems that dealing with a standard horde of enemies always leaves me at an empty tank before I finish with them.

I've had success with the E-Liter like you have, though. I just stick with Chohocks when it comes to standard hordes, and it's incredible range allows me to stay at the basket mostly, unless my team needs help transporting golden eggs.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

NaviAndMii

Decided to treat myself to Splatoon 2 for my birthday...and it (finally) arrived today! Booyah!

...had a mini-session this morning - can't wait to get my n00b on again a bit later!

Didn't do too badly really - managed to get to level 4 pretty quickly & got myself some totally fresh new threads! I've got a lot to learn - the game kinda throws you in at the deep end and bombards you with with information about all these perks, power-ups etc (I thought the dude who runs the weapon shop would never stop talking!) - but my body is soooo Reggie to get myself up to speed!

If you see this in the plaza...
Untitled
...go easy on me - I'm a total (but hopefully fast-learning) n00b!
(as my rubbish first doodle probably suggests!)

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Spoony_Tech

I had better success in Salmon last night and ranked up to overachiever. Still lost about a third of the time but at least it was the last round most of those times.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Zyrac

@NaviAndMii That feeling of being thrown in at the deep end is a consequence of starting with the sequel, I think. The first game had a pretty slow rollout early on, with relatively few weapon types available at first. This one, while using the same model of gradually adding content, has a lot more going on from the get-go, along with plenty of players who already know exactly what they're doing.

On the bright side, the single-player mode is more helpful for learning the game, since it gives you a bunch of fundamentally different weapons to try.

Sheldon is kinda infamous for his rambling, to the point that they added that "hurry up" button just for him.

Zyrac

Twitter:

Maxz

@NaviAndMii Welcome to the Squid Squad. We hope you enjoy your spray!

I'm usually jealous of people just starting out in a series I've been a fan of for a while (the thought of discovering it all the the first time is really attractive) but I've had so much fun digging into all the new little details of this sequel that I'm glad I've come in with a little experience.

I hope it's not too intimidating! As @Zyrac has said, Hero Mode (and also Salmon Run), force you to try out different weapons, and Hero Mode in particular does a really good job of showcasing their strengths and weaknesses. It's a good place to return to if multiplayer gets a bit too stressful. That said, Turf War is reasonably forgiving, as you can generally feel you're doing something at all times. My favourite modes are definitely in Ranked, but they can be more demanding as they're much more directed, so it's clearer when you've failed to achieve what you wanted (and rank meters are kinda stressful in themselves).

Anyway, if you have any questions, do ask! I think there are quite a few well established squidheads around here who'll be happy to help.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Namco

Untitled

So I did pretty well back there... At least I think this score is rather high? Maybe someone can show me an even better result? (For the record I'm Naim_NL, recently I changed back my username) Picture or it didn't happen

A piece of the Triforce appeared before you! (>'.')> â–² Touch it now!

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2624-1857 | Nintendo Network ID: Acegamer-62

Nicolai

@Sir_Anthony We were talking about your name Naim_NL a couple pages ago; We weren't sure if you were an NL imposter or not, lol.

Got married.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic