Forums

Topic: Splatoon 2

Posts 1,301 to 1,320 of 5,014

Maxz

@Nicolai You're not posting too much. I'm kinda struggling to imagine what that would look like, but I'll let you know if it somehow does happen. The threat of drowning under endless waves of Nicolai currently seems very low right, however.

Anyway, isn't the new assisted splats thing great? I used to get kinda sad when someone "poached my kill" in the old game, which was stupid, because it was ultimately still kill (or splat) for our team. But I feel this new system encourages teamwork rather than rivalry.

Incidentally, Salmon Run has also been good for improving my team oriented thinking and playstyle, and that has had a positive effect on my competitive play. It's also been good at making me try new weapons (as has the new single player campaign), which has helped be branch out in Ranked modes and choose weapons more appropriate to the mode and map.

It's kind of obvious that including a co-operative mode would encourage more co-operative minded play in general, and that forcing the player to use different weapons in certain contexts would make them more comfortable with a greater range of weapons in general, but I still think they're really intelligent game design choices (despite hearing a few complaints about not being able to choose weapons in Salmon Run online). After getting to a certain position in Ranked Mode, you almost become too scared to experiment with anything other than your 'main' for fear you'll lose your rank in the process, so it's excellent to have alternative modes where you're actually forced to get out of your comfort zone, and appreciate all the elements of the game you've been too scared to try.

And with regards to drawing hyper accurately, if you choose the smallest pen and use the D-pad, you can literally draw pixel by pixel with some ease. I say ease - that's still an awful lot of pixels to fill out if you want to produce anything remotely sizeable, but it does explain how some of these near photo-realistic images, as well as elorporate pieces of pixel art, are being created. You don't need to have the world's steadiest hands to pull it of, just an extraordinary amount of patience.

With regards to actually drawing in the touch screen, I've had some success with using a carrot (yes really). By first few attempts were pretty shambolic, but either I got used to it, or I found a particularly responsive carrot. I did some slightly interpretive fan art of our very own Mr. Alex Olney, because he said his ego needed a tickle, and while it's not a masterpiece, it's probably the best thing I've ever drawn with a carrot. I'll post it later, along with a short 'painting by carrot' demonstrational video.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Haruki_NLI

Im just a bit terrified by the Octobrush now. I dont know how anyone here views it (As ive never played with anyone here) but it seems to do more damage now.

Itd be cool to see Brushes get a damage boost but man its scary in Tower Control

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

yokokazuo

@Zyrac yeah the bento in 1 and also the Firefin Splatcharger in this game have walls. However I haven't really found them that useful myself. Could perhaps be because it takes so much ink and doesn't leave much room for many shots.

@Maxz I'll have to find the tweet, but one pixel by pixel drawing took someone over 10 hours I think. They had a WIP picture as well to prove it was done by them rather than with a modded controller that did specific inputs. (Since at least one user has a controller connected to a computer to input certain buttons to do their drawing)

yokokazuo

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664 | Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

Zyrac

Well, I've confirmed I still like the N-Zap. I found it quite unneccesary when they buffed this weapon in the first game; perhaps they were responding to low usage, as I didn't see many others picking it before then, but it was always one of my favourites. Sheldon says it's more focused on ink coverage than combat ability, but I think it has a good balance of both.

@Maxz It's probably possible to find some sort of stylus that would work as well as a carrot. But I guess there's something to be said for versatility. I bet it tastes better after you've drawn something good with it.

It's bemusing for me as a regular Miiverse user to see people expressing shock at the quality of artwork in this game. This has been going on since the launch of the Wii U. Although that's not to say it isn't still amazing.

Zyrac

Twitter:

meleebrawler

@Nicolai No, meals only expire with matches played, not time. But someone who plays way more than 20 matches a day consistently is just a smidge excessive. And it's not like you need them active 24/7...

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

-Green-

Dunkey made a video on this game. It was funny but he seems to be wrong about a couple of his points regarding the game.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Maxz

@Zyrac The amazing thing about the art on Miiverse was that if you wanted to draw something with the above level on detail, you literally needed to have pixel-perfect precision. There were no button controls to help you target each pixel; it was 100% hand drawn (or rather, 'poked').

Anyway, speaking of great art, I present you with... something else. It's at least the greatest art I've ever drawn with a carrot:

And the carrot in question:

It's not exactly going to have da Vinci quaking in his grave (although Alex does have something of an enigmatic smile), but it's a marked improvement over the sloppy finger paintings that preceded it. It anyone's having issues with using their digits for writing and drawing, I'd genuinely recommend trying a carrot.

Edited on by Maxz

HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Ralizah

The N-ZAP is amazing. It's exactly the combination of rapid fire and decent range that I look for in a ranged weapon.

@-Green- "It was funny but he seems to be wrong about a couple of his points"

I've noticed that with Dunkey's videos. He's funny, charismatic, and well-spoken, but a lot of his arguments can be dismissed pretty quickly because they're not particularly well thought-out.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Haruki_NLI

@Ralizah Internet criticism 101. Same with Yahtzee except half the time he isnt even talking about the game.

Then again negativity sells especially around Nintendo. Easy money

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Maxz

At least Dunkey's not generally trying be obnoxious (to my mind anyway). I watched the video, thought it was hilarious, disagreed with nearly all of it, didn't really mind much, and then... came here to discuss it.

I think he's quite an astute dude, but his whole presentation style is silly and charmingly dumb. It's kind of endearing, so doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth even when I think it's all massively wrong.

I feel a lot of other YouTube personalities desperately try to push an existing narrative by repackaging it, stamping their ego all over it, then yelling it louder than most other people; they're basically telling a certain group of people what they want to hear, whilst giving the middle finger to anyone with a less shouty and one-dimensional viewpoint.

Dunkey's videos are sufficiently goofy, idiosyncratic, and generally such a (deliberate) mess in terms of structure and argument that it's hard to feel he's just peddling bilge for the sake of stoking controversy (and the harvesting the resulting clicks).

I left the Splatoon video feeling confused and bemused. I wish there were more videos I disagreed with that I could say that about.

Edited on by Maxz

HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

-Green-

In defense of Yahtzee, he is very self aware and plays along with his persona. His reviews are meant to be amusing to watch with parts of it demonstrating his overall opinion.

In regards to Dubkey, he actually enjoys Nintendo games a lot. He considers Mario 64 and Sunshine among his favorite games ever for example.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

shani

Maxz wrote:

use the D-pad, you can literally draw

Wait, what?! You can draw with the d-pad? I always assumed the only way to draw was to use the touchscreen...

Nicolai wrote:

Let me know if I'm posting too much, guys. Sorry if I am >.>

And I thought I was posting too much. ^^

Zyrac wrote:

having stopped playing Splatoon before the "Sheldon's Picks" updates

Lol what? Sheldon's Picks were one of those content updates that kept me playing back then. The new weapon combinations were definitely exciting at the time!

My GOTY? Legend Of Zelda: Splat of the child. Ah no, I meant LoZ: Breath of the SPLATOOOON!

NLInklings Discord server | My Youtube channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-3298-8343-1900 | Nintendo Network ID: shani_ace | Twitter:

ThomGee

I don't really think of Dunkey as a reviewer, just an Internet personality. He seems to be sarcastic in many of his videos, and even has a playlist on his channel called "Serious Videos". Then again, I might be biased since I really enjoy Dunkey, and my first exposure to him was his JonTron rant (not related to that incident earlier this year), which was very clearly satire.

ThomGee

My Nintendo: ThomGee | Nintendo Network ID: WakerOfWindsHD

LzWinky

Yahtzee's latest video is strangely accurate. Nintendo is eating gummy bears in a space helmet while Microsoft and Sony are fighting each other.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

ValhallaOutcast

Do you show online if your switch is in rest mode? I got an invite today on splatnet app but system was in rest mode

Friend Code SW-4365-4821-7317

Nicolai

@meleebrawler I see nothing wrong with wanting to keep tickets active for every match you play, and it doesn't matter whether you play all 20 matches in one day or not. Regardless of how you pace your game time, I still want to reach level 20 as efficiently as possible, and I'm happy to have gotten enough tickets from the single player for it to stay on pretty consistently.
I guess I just don't see where matches-per-day comes into it.

How often do the shops get new gear? I feel like I'm seeing the same stuff each day.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

chardir

@ValhallaOutcast You only show online when you are online. The point of the app that you can get invitations while not using your Switch, join a room, then log on to the game to play.

Friend Code: SW-1014-2011-3950 (Switch name: Dii)
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: LMR-JBK-RWG

Octane

@Ralizah N-ZAP '89 was my go-to weapon in the first game. It has a good bit of everything, it's fast, pretty accurate and has a decent coverage.

Octane

Grumblevolcano

Dual Squelcher has become a pair of dualies.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Zyrac

@Octane I preferred the '85 for having Echolocator. But yeah, it's just a solid weapon whatever it comes with. Can't go wrong with it.

@Grumblevolcano Sweet. Definitely going to be giving that a go.

Zyrac

Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic