Forums

Topic: Splatoon 2

Posts 1,101 to 1,120 of 5,014

Spoony_Tech

TheXReturns wrote:

@KirbyTheVampire @Shani Hmm. How are you holding them? I hold a joycon in each hand if not in handheld mode, and generally cross my arms, so the left joycon is on the right and vice versa. (I realise that last bit is a bit odd.) No straps.

I'd also forgotten how little I like turf war. All of the ranked modes from the first game felt fun to me, but turf war never clicked properly. It felt too much dependent on the last thirty seconds. Everything before that often mattered very little to the outcome of the match.

That's definitely how it still feels. If you however can keep the other team pinned down the whole time does matter.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

meleebrawler

Spoony_Tech wrote:

That's definitely how it still feels. If you however can keep the other team pinned down the whole time does matter.

The way the new maps are designed, Turf War battles are generally decided by better battlers than mobile inking. Learned that the hard way with an Inkbrush.

@BLP_Software Even with the giant DON'T RETREAT?

Lots of players in Turf abide by Barras the Monk tactics: frontal assault and death by frontal assault.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Haruki_NLI

@meleebrawler Yeah its worrying. Its lasting longer than the first game too.

I dont think the idea is registering

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

TheXReturns

@Meleebrawler It depends. Earlier, I had a team of 3 Aerosprays, and me, a roller, and I thought "this is lost.", but we covered so much ground that despite the other team having way more kills on us than we had on them, we still won, because the four of us could cover ground so fast that the other team really didn't have an answer. (They had a dualies, an inkbrush, some form of blaster, and something else. I can't really remember their lineup that well.)

I guess if you can ink far faster than the opposition, you don't really have a problem. We were getting kills between us, just not many.

A puzzle solved is its own reward.

My Nintendo: TheXReturns | Nintendo Network ID: TheXReturns

shani

@KirbyTheVampire Exactly, they're only acceptable if there's no other choice or if I'm playing something like ARMS, but otherwise they Joycons' inferiority really shows. I wish they would also sell Switch bundles that come only with the Pro Controller, but I'm aware that it goes against everything Nintendo is trying to achieve. ^^
@TheXReturns So far I've only used them in handheld mode - except for ARMS and MK8D, where I have used them separately like Wiimote+Nunchuk (also tried the grip shortly for these two games, but wasn't worth it).

I really can't stress enough how marvellous the Pro Controller is and how terrible the Joycons feel. It's mind-boggling how their build quality and ergonomy can be so different (despite the fact that Joycons are really expensive - maybe because of HD rumble?).

@Spoony_Tech @TheXReturns While I also liked the ranked modes a lot more than TW in Splatoon 1, this time it feels a little bit different. I still prefer ranked, but this time around TW rarely felt like only the last 30 seconds count. It was often the opposite, when my team controlled the map early on and pushed the enemies back for the rest of the match, we usually would win quite comfortably. Can't say why that is though, maybe because of all the noobs?

Edited on by shani

My GOTY? Legend Of Zelda: Splat of the child. Ah no, I meant LoZ: Breath of the SPLATOOOON!

NLInklings Discord server | My Youtube channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-3298-8343-1900 | Nintendo Network ID: shani_ace | Twitter:

KirbyTheVampire

@BLP_Software That seems to be the mode people are having the hardest time grasping. It took me a little bit to catch on, since all it says at the start of the round is "Make it rain!", which isn't all that clear, but some people spend so long just running around killing people with it, or at least attempting to. I really wish Nintendo would have the message at the start of the round actually tell people what they're supposed to be doing, lol. It's by far the most frustrating mode at the moment when it comes to teammates not doing what they're supposed to.

KirbyTheVampire

Spoony_Tech

TheXReturns wrote:

@Meleebrawler It depends. Earlier, I had a team of 3 Aerosprays, and me, a roller, and I thought "this is lost.", but we covered so much ground that despite the other team having way more kills on us than we had on them, we still won, because the four of us could cover ground so fast that the other team really didn't have an answer. (They had a dualies, an inkbrush, some form of blaster, and something else. I can't really remember their lineup that well.)

I guess if you can ink far faster than the opposition, you don't really have a problem. We were getting kills between us, just not many.

This is why I use that weapon only in TW. I'm 90% of the time tops on my team because it covers so much area so fast. I looked back on a game I won with it where I got 2400 points but we got creamed nearly 2 to 1 on kills but that still didn't matter. We won comfortably as well.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

shani

@KirbyTheVampire Yep, that I can confirm. Apart from the veterans and quick learners, most players seem to be overwhelmed by or simply don't get Rainmaker. Which makes sense, because it gives you less instructions/restrictions than the other two modes. But you're right, 'make it rain' as the objective doesn't really help.
At one point I stopped playing it because it was so frustrating that (almost) no one seems to know what they're doing.

It's funny though how everyone of use has made similar observations about the newcomers (not all of them bad, I'm sure). I never experienced something like this before, being well-versed in an online game and seing others who just started learning it.
I don't want to sound condescending - after all, everyone of us went through this two years ago - but as much as it can be frustrating, it's also quite hilarious to observe at times.

Edited on by shani

My GOTY? Legend Of Zelda: Splat of the child. Ah no, I meant LoZ: Breath of the SPLATOOOON!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3298-8343-1900 | Nintendo Network ID: shani_ace | Twitter:

meleebrawler

The first game, you could press Y or something on a given mode to get instructions. Does 2 still have that?

Zyrac

Well I like the Joy-Cons just fine, thanks.

Say, how long does it take to unlock a charger that comes with, I don't know, anything other than the Stingray? What a horribly unwieldy special. And it doesn't even one-hit kill on the occasion that you manage to hit with it. Funny thing is, when I first heard of the thing I was concerned it could be overpowered, but I think they may have gone too far in the other direction.

Edited on by Zyrac

Zyrac

Twitter:

Haruki_NLI

@Zyrac Stingray is probably my least favourite special.

The others all have multi usage like Tenta Missiles for ID and clearance, Baller for ibvincibility and mobility. Bubble Blower for crowd control and a distraction. Bomb Rush is Bomb Rush, Splashdown is a good AOE and excellent defensive option. Ink Armor is both defensive and a good way to push forward. Inkjet is offensive and good for scouting.

Stingray is too weak to kill efficiently and too unwieldy to even aim.

KirbyTheVampire

Stingray is borderline unusable. I feel like I do better just shooting normally than I do using the Stingray, which is saying something, because I'm awful with the charger.

@shani It is kind of funny to watch occasionally, haha. My one teammate kept rushing for it, and then would just stand there in the center area of The Reef blasting everyone, and was actually pretty good at it. Kind of annoying, but I'm glad he had his moment of glory, even if he wasn't accomplishing anything, lol.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

Spoony_Tech

Can't see why the stingray is not instant kill. It's easy to avoid so an instant death is not a bad thing to consider. Maybe they will change that in a future update as they've nerfed and beefed up weapons before.

MERG said:

NightMoon

I don't see the stingray becoming an instant kill in future patches, but I can see it doing a little more damage.

NightMoon

Switch Friend Code: SW-1763-0139-7023 | Nintendo Network ID: NightMoonArt

Spoony_Tech

I don't know if I've even been hit by one then alone killed.

MERG said:

NightMoon

I think most players that uses stingray just fires wildly in the air and hopes it hits someone.

NightMoon

Switch Friend Code: SW-1763-0139-7023 | Nintendo Network ID: NightMoonArt

Haruki_NLI

@Spoony_Tech Oh ive been hit.

Never died. I guess you can use it as a way to make players move but at that point Ink Storm and Tenta Missiles do a better job from long distance AND can kill. Stingray is too slow to move and is easily avoided and it has little penalty.

meleebrawler

Funny. I feel as though I've had better luck using the Sting Ray than you guys. There's this skill called Special Weapon Up if you think it's too weak. And it can still be used to ID opponents with it's X-ray vision when not firing.

Really, most if not all the specials are easily dodged if you just chuck them randomly at opponents not otherwise preoccupied. You have to really catch them off guard, or use them in concert with your teammates to get the best results, and Sting Ray is no different. It can contest objectives like Rainmaker shields or towers that otherwise act as cover for the other team, counter-snipe with it's unparalleled range, or just help a teammate win a fight from basically anywhere, faster than a Tenta-missile strike would. Just ask the Stingers and their Chum buddies, hm?

Basically, use it like a Killer Wail, that can readjust.

Edited on by meleebrawler

shani

I gotta say, so far I enjoy TC the most, simply because the players are more focussed and make less mistakes (there's not giant Splatzone to jump to and get spawn-killed ^^). It's still my least favorite mode overall, but right now it's more bearable than the other modes.

Masticore

How do you super jump? I don´t even know what it is. I´ve noticed those circles with the Nickname of a player in the ink moving in a circle, is it some trace of somebody have been sumper jumping? I´m doing good so far in the game (new to splatoon, never had a wiiu), but to master a game u have to know all tricks

Edited on by Masticore

Masticore

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic