Forums

Topic: Splatoon 2

Posts 1,081 to 1,100 of 5,014

Zyrac

@Maxz I'm a little torn on the map design right now. You make a good point: the new maps seem designed to prevent curbstomps, both with their smaller size and the heavier use of ink-proof surfaces to make invading the enemy side more difficult. But on the other hand, so far they just feel a bit samey to me, like they're following a template. They really don't seem as interesting as the original maps.

Still, it's too early for me to really judge. And maybe there will some more memorable new stages in the future.

Zyrac

Twitter:

Spoony_Tech

I hope they eventually bring over all the old maps as I enjoyed every one of them. I also agree these maps are not as fun as the originals but still fun though. Seems they wanted to nerf chargers and camp spots somewhat.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

-Green-

The maps seem about the same to me. Less choke points help keep the frustration and blowouts in check. For anyone who wants to add me as a friend my friend code is SW-5081-0666-1429. I'm Alio by the way.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

GoldenGamer88

Spoony_Tech wrote:

I hope they eventually bring over all the old maps as I enjoyed every one of them. I also agree these maps are not as fun as the originals but still fun though. Seems they wanted to nerf chargers and camp spots somewhat.

I like all of the new ones while really disliking some old maps such as Walleye Warehouse, old Moray Towers (absolutely love what they've done with the place) and Hammerhead Bridge. Still would love to see them all back, too.

Join the NL Inklings Discord Server: https://discord.gg/5gf7xg3

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-8427-0621-0325, Username: Montillo
PSN: Montillo88

Nintendo Network ID: Montillo

meleebrawler

I still really hate Moray Towers, but only in Turf War now (it's still far too easy to run away with a win once you breach the center). The few matches of Rainmaker I played there were quite engaging thanks to the myriad paths you take to try and out-wit the other team, and it doesn't hurt that the new Rainmaker is quite competent at inking walls.

@Spoony_Tech It also encourages players to use the charger's hold capabilities. You still have to be cautious in your movement, but you can very much be a mobile marksman.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Grumblevolcano

@Spoony_Tech You also have the question of when will Nintendo shutdown the Wii U online servers. While the Wii servers were a case of GameSpy shutting down, BotW is the first example (I think it's the first?) of Nintendo purposely cutting features in a game/app for an old console to make the new console more attractive (Miiverse seems to be an upcoming second).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Spoony_Tech

@Grumblevolcano I was thinking that the other day. Out with the old and in with the new. I don't think they shut them down till they can get more Switch's into people's hands.

I wonder if they will allow us to vote for old maps to return. I would be all for that. First make a popularity chart then vote for your favorite. Say top 3 get ported into the new game.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Maxz

@Zyrac Yeah, I did a brain-splurt on this a couple of pages ago. The new maps definitely aren't as experimental and imaginative as in the original, but they do seem a lot more intelligently designed with regards to what makes the game work. But I do miss some of the eccentric charm and whacky layouts that came in later during the original's lifespan.

Maybe we'll get a few wilder ideas thrown in at a later date. Arguably the new Port Mackerel is significantly more interesting than the last one (which was basically Manhattan's street layout). In fact, I barely think it qualifies as the same stage. What with the foam sponges making an appearance in PM and the Ink Lines appearing in Moray Towers, maybe we'll see some more elements like bounce pads brought over from story mode, which could lead to some interesting verticality in the levels. Or maybe that's going too far. Either way, I think there's plenty of scope for novel design in the coming year.

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

@Yasaal The Wii U version was originally going to have the normal Gamepad functionality present with the Wii U Zelda remasters like being able to look at the map and change inventory order on the Gamepad while still being able to control Link. That kind of functionality was removed to make sure the Wii U version wasn't the definitive version so the only point of the Gamepad in the final Wii U version was off-TV play and gyro controls, both of which are better on Switch.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Yasaal

@Grumblevolcano Oh ok. Yeah I remember that being confirmed before. And many people were pissed XD but even if Nintendo did actually do that I think the Switch version would still be superior due to higher resolution and especially portability...

Currently Watching: Psycho-Pass

Currently Playing: -

My Nintendo: Yasaal | Nintendo Network ID: Yasaal | Twitter:

Samus7Killer

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@Yasaal The Wii U version was originally going to have the normal Gamepad functionality present with the Wii U Zelda remasters like being able to look at the map and change inventory order on the Gamepad while still being able to control Link. That kind of functionality was removed to make sure the Wii U version wasn't the definitive version so the only point of the Gamepad in the final Wii U version was off-TV play and gyro controls, both of which are better on Switch.

THat's too bad they couldn't just let the WiiU version outshine the Switch version. I prefer the gamepad on the HD remasters. They control great with the gamepad inventory management. Off TV gameplay is not my thing for a game like Zelda. Big Boy games deserve the Big Screen regardless my hatred for the new Zelda.

Edited on by Samus7Killer

Samus7Killer

shani

After playing extensively with the Pro Controller during the weekend, I just tried playing a SP level on my way home and the controls felt really horrible. The sticks barely withstand any kind of pressure and have no grip, the triggers feel awkward and are way too small, as Are the face buttons.
Ben Heck was right, these Joycons are the cheapest piece of trash I've ever played with.
I really hope some 3rd party brand will produce high-quality Joycons (which is ironic because in the past, the 3rd party controllers felt cheap and Nintendo's were always top notch). Until then, no portable Octovalley for me...

Nicolai wrote:

I've always secretly wished there were longer times to cool down between matches. Sure, there's always the option of quitting and coming back, but when friends have joined you, or if you're on a roll with your squad, it's hard to leave that.

Hehe I know what you mean. Although I had the same experience with randoms during the weekend, just couldn't stop.

BLP_Software wrote:

A lot of newbies especially here in the UK treat it like Team Deathmatch.

I've seen that behaviour too. Sometimes they even run away from the objective. ^^

Spoony_Tech wrote:

I hope they eventually bring over all the old maps as I enjoyed every one of them.

Yeah I hope so too, at least some of them could be modified and added as free DLC.

@Maxz: While I agree on general on the new maps, I've seej combinations thaz don't work so well. For example, TC on Humpback is way too short, it would have to have at least 5 or 6 checkpoints. From my experience (whether as a winner or a loser) the first team that get's the tower wins immediately in most cases.

SZ also seemed a bit off on some maps. Either you win immediately as well or if your timer stops at a low count, your team gets complacent and can't get back control...

And yeah, three cracks throw you back to the OK line.
I can also confirm that skipping ranks is possible if you don't loae in between. Pretty sure they implemented that for us veterans.

My GOTY? Legend Of Zelda: Splat of the child. Ah no, I meant LoZ: Breath of the SPLATOOOON!

NLInklings Discord server | My Youtube channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-3298-8343-1900 | Nintendo Network ID: shani_ace | Twitter:

Darasin

I ever played the original and I am amazed at how balanced 2 is. Its not perfect, but the weapons and maps are as MP fair as Ive ever seen.

Can someone tell me how p is calculated. I get the basic you put ink down and your number goes up, but I feel like there has to be more to it. I can take a roller and go on a ink rampage and still have less p then a person with a charge weapon who gets an insane score. I get that person may really know that weapon well, but it feels like the splat weapons would have an advantage are inking? Are there events that boost your p or can you lose p?

What's everyone thoughts on the voice app? It feels like its pointless, but I haven't used it enough.

Dar

Darasin

Spoony_Tech

I may need to pick up a pro controller just for this game. While the joycons are functional I can see a bigger controller giving me less cramps. Everything on the joycons just feels a bit too small.

MERG said:

Haruki_NLI

@shani I had guys retreat with the rainmaker and focused on killing.

Completely ignoring what the enemy was doing and the HUD.

Bloody newbies thinking its like COD. Again.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

shani

@Darasin Well for starters, there are these xp/p boosts that Crusty Sean has to offer.
Aside from that, the calculation is shown on your win/lose screen: turf inked + time bonus + win bonus + freshness bonus (if you reach 10.0 or 15.0 etc).

The p calculation for gear slots however works differently. If you make <1000p, it unlocks 800p. If you make <2000p, it unlocks 1400p. I assume >1400p gives you 1000p and 2000p and higher gives you 2000p. This definitely worked differently in the original.

Spoony_Tech wrote:

I may need to pick up a pro controller just for this game. While the joycons are functional I can see a bigger controller giving me less cramps. Everything on the joycons just feels a bit too small.

Definitely do that, you won't regret it! Despite the Pro Controller not having analgue triggers again, it's by far the best I've ever had (and among others, I have the Xbox 360, Steam Controller and Wii U Pro Controller). I even bought a second one, maybe I'll use it on my PC.
In my previous post I also outlined how everything is too small on the Joycons - it's so uncomfortable, my hands started to cramp almost immediately. The sticks and triggers are unresponsive as well.

@BLP_Software Yeah exactly! So annoying...
I don't want to dig up that old trope of 'my teammates are too weak', but in some - not all - ranked matches it was definitely frustrating to have clueless or ignorant teammates. I had no such problems in TW however, because the 'objective' seems to be clear to everyone.

Edited on by shani

My GOTY? Legend Of Zelda: Splat of the child. Ah no, I meant LoZ: Breath of the SPLATOOOON!

NLInklings Discord server | My Youtube channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-3298-8343-1900 | Nintendo Network ID: shani_ace | Twitter:

KirbyTheVampire

@shani I don't like them at all, either. They'll work if you literally have nothing else, but I have no idea how people use them exclusively, especially for games like this.

Playing in handheld mode feels pretty good, but I only ever use it to play more casual modes like Salmon Run or Turf War. Everything else, I use the Pro controller.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

TheXReturns

@KirbyTheVampire @Shani Hmm. How are you holding them? I hold a joycon in each hand if not in handheld mode, and generally cross my arms, so the left joycon is on the right and vice versa. (I realise that last bit is a bit odd.) No straps.

I'd also forgotten how little I like turf war. All of the ranked modes from the first game felt fun to me, but turf war never clicked properly. It felt too much dependent on the last thirty seconds. Everything before that often mattered very little to the outcome of the match.

A puzzle solved is its own reward.

My Nintendo: TheXReturns | Nintendo Network ID: TheXReturns

Nicolai

I know the converation was pages ago, but I'll bring it back up for my input: I find that when I'm frustrated with my teammates, I realize later that I was forgetting to work with them. Which is probably why they were doing so poorly, without my support.

Today I'm having a lot of trouble with that, and I keep on losing. It's so easy to get lost in the skirmish and forget where my teammates ares. Grr...

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic