Forums

Topic: New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe

Posts 221 to 240 of 260

Dreamliner

Is this version identical to the Wii U version or are there weird compromises. I got burned with Captain Toad Treasure Tracker and the stupid floating blue circle on the Switch. Is there anything the Wii U version of NSMB does better than this? I have the Wii U version that includes Luigi U...

Dreamliner

GeoChrome

@Dreamliner Pretty much the only thing different is that you cannot play 4 player without a handicap character and the removal of boost mode (obviously). Other than that, it’s pretty much the same game.

Reading: Too much
Watching: Not enough
Playing: SMTV

Switch Friend Code: SW-6148-2681-7704

1UP_MARIO

@Dreamliner I know what you mean with the blue dot but playing this game handheld mode helps a lot of the problem.

Just the boost mode and less challenges

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Dreamliner

@1UP_MARIO What makes Captain Toad Treasure Tracker on the Switch docked particularly bad, is the blue dot of doom is CONSTANTLY pulsing and ALWAYS on screen wiggling around randomly as you push buttons on the controller. Just awful and so distracting. I wouldn't whine so badly if it went away until you shook the controller or pressed a button then it came back for you to manipulate an element.

That has has taught me that porting the control scheme won't always be so seamless, which is why I ask now for new ported games. (I also found out for Captain Toad they switched out Mario 3D World levels for Mario Odyssey levels.)

I don't even have a Switch yet (still working through Wii U games and secretly holding out for a "New Switch XL"). The more games I can push onto Switch with these ports, the sooner I can...Switch.

Dreamliner

BenGrimm

There’s something very reassuring and relaxing about a 2D Mario game. Really enjoying the game so far.

BenGrimm

GeoChrome

@Dreamliner If you didn’t like the dot when you played the demo, (which you said in a previous post on the Captain Toad Thread) why did you buy the full game?

Reading: Too much
Watching: Not enough
Playing: SMTV

Switch Friend Code: SW-6148-2681-7704

1UP_MARIO

@Dreamliner I have captain toad on the Wii u and enjoyed it a lot. I bought it for the switch again to replay it and the odyssey levels and the switch game was reasonably priced. Keep the Wii u and it’s games. I find it other than Mario kart deluxe and hyrule warriors the Wii u games to play better. Also still buying Wii u games for cheap and enjoying the games

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

Dreamliner

@GyroZeppeli I don't have a Switch yet and bought it before I had a chance to play the demo. I think the best thing is to play it fully on the Wii U and perhaps again on the 3DS.

@1UP_MARIO I don't plan to sell the Wii U ever, but if a port is pretty much identical (like Tropical Freeze, MK8D and hopefully NSMBUD) then I'd rather play them on the newest platform, I just don't want compromises.

Dreamliner

Quarth

@BenGrimm Yeah, might be the familiarity. It's a formula perfected some 30 years back, but with some modern touches to make it more welcoming for new players. Like most 2D Mario games, I love this one so far.

Edited on by Quarth

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

MarioBrickLayer

1UP_MARIO wrote:

Would prefer a new newer new super mario Bros.
Untitled

I bought Deluxe on Friday, I love it! I didn't have a Wii U, so it's the first time I have played it.

I'd hope the next three 2D mario games are (in any order):-

1. New Super Mario Collection (New, Wii and 2)
2. Mario Maker (port or sequel)
3. New Super Mario game

MarioBrickLayer

Banjo-

@1UP_MARIO Same here! Wii U is still a joy to play on. What about NSMBUDX in that picture? LOL

@MarioBrickLayer You mean new New Super Mario Bros. game.

Banjo-

1UP_MARIO

@BlueOcean it is. I picked up pokken tournament for my kids for 7 pounds and rayman legends again for 6 pounds last year after it’s switch releases.

redd214

Looking for some help. We just beat this game last night but are missing one star on our save file and I can't figure it out. We have done everything to my knowledge. All star coins, all Nabbits caught, every level beaten, 100% on superstar road but still only showing 4 of 5 stars.

Searched the web and didn't find an answer so was hoping someone here may have some insight.

Thanks in advance!

redd214

Grumblevolcano

@redd214 Have you done every exit? World 5 has the situation where a few levels have the secret exit be the way to progress meanwhile the normal exit does nothing but contribute to 100% completion.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

redd214

@Grumblevolcano just figured it out. I beat one of the earlier levels with Nabbit just to try him out. I guess since it's basically easy mode if you beat a level with him it doesn't count towards 100%. Replayed the level with mario and got the fifth star!

redd214

Mountain_Man

This game is terrific and well worth the money even at full price (I bought a used copy and got it for $50 instead of $60). The gameplay is polished to perfection, and there is a TON of content. Yes, it would have been nice if they had included ports of the earlier DS, 3DS, and Wii games to give us the definitive New Super Mario Bros., but even without that, there is still hours of gaming goodness here.

Edited on by Mountain_Man

The Mountain Man

RR529

Just got this in today. Pretty fun time so far, and I've died quite a bit more than I thought I would (not too stressful though since you build up an abundance of lives early on). Nearing the end of Layer-Cake Desert.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Mountain_Man

I've gotten a bit further into this game, and I'm finding it almost too difficult to be enjoyable.

The Mountain Man

RR529

Just completed the first mid-castle in Rock Candy Mines (World 6), and I'm really enjoying it. Graphically it is kinda plain, but it looks really clean & almost each level has a unique enough gimmick that I'm finding them pretty memorable.

Not sure where the idea that it's really easy comes from either. It's not quite DKCTF in terms of difficulty (then again, it doesn't have an equivalent to the mine cart or rocket barrel levels), but it's not uncommon for me to die a time or two on any given level, and there have been a few (such as the ice world level, I think it's the second one, with the sliding penguins, or the airship level at the start of Soda Jungle) that have taken me many times to complete.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Mountain_Man

With regards to the difficulty, I do have to give Nintendo credit for things like the "Super Guide", and characters like Toadette and Nabbit which make it possible for anybody to finish the game. I just wish it was a little more forgiving using the regular characters like Mario and Luigi.

Although I think part of the difficulty for me is that characters seem to feel heavier than the classic Mario games, so they can't stop and start on a dime which has messed me up on several runs.

The Mountain Man

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic