Forums

Topic: Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Posts 341 to 360 of 525

Spoony_Tech

@JaxonH Here's how I see it both the other 2 games (Splatoon and MH) are games you play for months and never get tired of while this game here is a game you can beat and be done with for a while. 18 to 20 hours is a drop in the bucket for you. You could be done with this game and back to the other 2 by the weekend the way you play games.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Anti-Matter

@JaxonH
Hahaha...
Make a schedule.
Every Monday and Thursday play game A, Tuesday and Friday play game B, Wednesday and Saturday play game C. Sunday is Wild Card, play any games you want.

Anti-Matter

erv

I've bought it so I can play it tonight when I'm back home. This was such a lovely surprise of a game

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Anti-Matter

@Snaplocket
Hi.
I just want to give a suggestion.
Well, it's up to him to take my advice or not.

Anti-Matter

Maxz

Haru17 wrote:

@BLP_Software Unless Ubisoft is literally gaslighting us and intentionally leaking misleading information to manage expectations (why?) this game isn't going to be very good. We've waited since this was first leaked back in fall. We saw the game's premise and totally generic aesthetic today: It looks like a Mario RPG even worse than Sticker Star and Paper Jam. Don't chide me for making reasonable observations.

Haru17 wrote:

I think we're glazing over how M+R:KB has a good chance to be the worst received first-party Switch game this year. It could sink below 1, 2, Switch or soar the lofty heights of 8/10, at most really.

Haru17 wrote:

@Peek-a-boo Sooo, you don't know how it could possibly be great? Same here.

Here's a short explanation of how it could be just that.

And here are some reasonable observations:

● Only 5% of the reviews on Metacritic score the game below 8/10, with 95% therefore on or above those 'lofty heights'. The very lowest score is a 71. The average score for 1-2 Switch is 58. The average score for M+R is 85. 94% of all scores for 1-2 Switch lay below the lowest score given to Mario+Rabbids.

● One of the game's most praised features was its sumptuoisly detailed and well-realised aesthetic.

● Mario + Rabbids is not a first-party game. It's developed and published by Ubisoft. Ubisoft are third party game developers. Technically it's a third party exclusive with licensed characters. Some people might refer to this as 'second party', but that term is a colloquialism without any rigorous definition. Using it will bring the game one step closer to being first party. But it's not first party.

● If it were a first party game, it would be the best-received first party Switch exclusive this year (and therefore of all time). The only first party games that would beat it are Zelda (one of the best received games in the last decade) and Mario Kart. Both of these games are available is some form on other consoles (i.e. the Wii U). Even including them, M+R would be the third best received first party Switch game this year, which is an achievement given that Nintendo's more or less kept to its 'one first party title since launch' target.

Feel free to chide me on any of the above observations. But I think in this case, being 'Mr. Wait-and-See' would have had some merit.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

JoyBoy

Really excited to play this game, whenever my copy arrives... oh well, i got enough stuff to play anyway.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Haru17

@Maxz When I said 'first-party' game I was referring to the fact it had Mario as the main character. So it's not exactly a third-party exclusive like Zombi U that Ubisoft can just port onto other consoles at a whim. In any case, the Metacritic is 85 and most reviewers gave it an 8 of some description, so while I was technically a little off, I at least accounted for the possibility. I never mentioned exclusivity by the way, and Mario Kart 8D reviewed substantially better than this.

But my personal gripes and frustrations with this 'Mario RPG' are that it's another flat, pretty non-narrative SRPG. If I wanted that I would have bought Disgea, but I'm not about to spend $60 on either. What the slides explained about 35% exploration is still laughable because it's still flat wherever you go.

But yes, Mario + Rabbids was probably the best case scenario for that leak. Have fun with it, I guess.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

JaxonH

The game is out! And yet Best Buy wasn't able to get it to me on release day (yet again). That's OK- I'll just play more Monster Hunter XX in the meantime.

So how is it people? It looks incredible and I cannot wait... so jealous of you guys already playing it. Started thinking about buying it digitally so I could play it right away and maybe even buying all my physical games digitally so I could have them all on the system without needing to swap cartridges but that would get really expensive over the course of the next five years... buying games both digitally and physically. Having MHXX digitally is so convenient though. I love it.

@Spoony_Tech
Yes, you are probably right. If there's one person who can burn through games quicker than I can though, it's my longtime hunting partner TeeJay. That guy kills games left and right. Makes me look like a part timer

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Maxz

Haru17 wrote:

@Maxz When I said 'first-party' game I was referring to the fact it had Mario as the main character.

...That's not what a first party game is. A first party game is a game developed and/or published by a first party. This game is, as I said, a third party game with licensed characters. Therefore it cannot be ported 'on a whim' to other consoles - because of licensing. It's still not first party. A first party game is not 'a game with Mario in it', or any other character. It is unrelated to characters. It is a very clearly definined term, and not 'open to interpretation' or 'feeling'.

You said the game would achieve 8/10 "at most". The game averages 8.5/10, which is far enough above your absolute maximum prediction to be non-trivial. You did not account for this. There are only two possible points between 8 and 10. The 0.5 accounts for 25% of this interval. If we acknowledge the fact that no game ever gets an average score of a full 10, this grows even larger.

You said people were "glazing over" the fact that there was a "good chance of it being the worst received first-party Switch game this year". As it stands, it would be one of the very best received, and the only one of the Top 3 that was developed exclusively for the system. You didn't say this, I did. I said it because in constrast to your gloomy premonitions, Mario + Rabbids is the best reviewed full retail title on the Switch which isn't a port of a Wii U game. Of all time. This is interesting in its own right, and worth mentioning.

People weren't "glazing over" anything. They were waiting for more information in order to come to a better informed opinion, rather than assuming the role of prophet based on a few leaked screenshots and carping at anyone who would suggest they were 'jumping the gun' in doing so.

You're welcome to your own opinions on the game, but when you start talking about the game being "the worst received Switch game this year", you're throwing your hat into a rather bigger ring. And the hat is still sitting there, looking rather damp and disheveled, waiting for you to pick it up.

You explicitly said the game "isn't going to be very good" ("unless Ubisoft are intentionally gaslighting us by leaking misleading information in order to manage expectations" - which they weren't). You're welcome to play the game and come to that opinion yourself. But in terms of how well the game is received, it seems a lot of critics would disagree with you, I guess.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Fandabidozi

Anyone downloaded the DLC or used an Amiibo for this like to share their opinions?
I've got 20+ Amiibo and have somehow contrived to not have any Mario characters, not on purpose.
With SNES mini out next month and Ultra S&M after that, then Odyssey after that I'm considering robbing a bank or maybe launching a kickstarter (which is similar).

NNID: Fandabidozi
3DS Friend Code: 2552-1581-3189
AC Pocket Camp: 1580 9310 141

My Nintendo: Fandabidozi | Nintendo Network ID: Fandabidozi | Twitter:

otterskateboard

@Fandabidozi I've used 3 amiibo with the game and don't worry, you're not missing anything. Each amiibo unlocks a unique weapon for their respective character. Although the weapon stats were slightly higher than what I already had , by the end of world 1 they had been outclassed by base game weapons unlocked through play.

I didn't bother with the pixelpack dlc. Bizarrely the code isn't redeemable on the eshop and must be redeemed on Ubisofts site by giving them your email, upon which they then send you an eshop code (and incessant marketing spam)

Game itself is top tier , grade A , summa cum laude brilliant!

Fandabidozi

@otterskateboard
It's a shame the amiibo weapons couldn't be a pallet swap for whatever you've got.
If I finish most of the game then I'll buy the DLC. Looks like it includes an extra ice themed world.
Hopefully M+R 2 is on the cards and we get Birdo as a playable character (and Amiibo)!

Edited on by Fandabidozi

NNID: Fandabidozi
3DS Friend Code: 2552-1581-3189
AC Pocket Camp: 1580 9310 141

My Nintendo: Fandabidozi | Nintendo Network ID: Fandabidozi | Twitter:

OorWullie

I'm going to buy this later tonight. I was going to wait a couple of months until I get back from my trip to Scotland but that's just daft,I've still got 11 days before I leave . M&R tonight and Zed Blade tomorrow and possibly next week's Neo Geo game depending on what it is, then that will be my lot.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

erv

@JaxonH I'm in digital only land. The tiny extra cost beats never losing or breaking a game. Cost is also easily compensated for ever since my youngest stopped structurally pooping his pants.

I've done a few battles now and already love this game. I'll be buying the dlc as I'll be wanting more of this for a long time.

Edited on by Joeynator3000

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

MFD

To those buying this, I'm about 5 hours in with the first world beat and I'm noticing some freezes at times. May just be on my end, but better to give a heads-up.

MFD

maruse

A question for those who might know...:

If I buy this game digital on the European eShop, it will show as purchased in my Japanese account (which is my main account) when the game finally releases in Japan.

My question is, if then (after the games releases in Japan) I delete the European version, can I re-download from the Japanese eShop? Or the game is locked to the eShop (and user) it was originally purchased in?

The thing is that I want the game now for me, but my kids don't understand English, so when the game releases in Japan, I would like to get it from the Japanese eShop so I can use the game in Japanese...

This is all very confusing, but if someone can show some light I'll be eternally grateful!!!!!!

Nickname/user name: マノロ

Switch Friend Code: SW-0173-2422-2348 | Nintendo Network ID: maruse

MFD

@otterskateboard Thankfully not, and the frame-drops didn't even irk me, but the freezes seem out of place, for an otherwise well-done and polished product. I hope they'll fix those soon.

MFD

JoyBoy

@UmniKnight Did it still happen after the update?

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

MFD

@Spanjard You mean that day one patch? Or did an update come out today? Once I put the game in and started my Switch, it did update it, but I've only really started playing afterwards, so the update didn't do anything for the freezes, unless there's another I'm unaware of.

MFD

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic