Forums

Topic: Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Posts 141 to 160 of 525

TuVictus

@MarcelRguez Ah okay, thank you for the information! It's interesting to see how far back we've heard of things like this

TuVictus

MarcelRguez

@dGamer I won't be surprised if they bang that drum until it breaks. It seems to be their big August game. Sure, August is usually a quiet period, but they've been pushing the "one big game a month" pretty hard. I think a decent part of the Direct will be dedicated to this.

@Operative2-0 Yeah, everyone dismissed it back then because of the site's track record, but they got some good info on their hands. I think it was long before these leakers commented on the game, so it could have been a crossover with just Yoshi when it hadn't even entered pre-production yet.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

@MarcelRguez They've already broken that streak, there's no big games for May.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

TuVictus

@Grumblevolcano Well...there's Street Fighter II. Which isn't really "big" but considering all the other available physical options, I guess it counts since it's from a big 3rd party rather than an indie one

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

MarcelRguez

@Grumblevolcano Adding to what @Operative2-0 mentioned, I'm willing to cut them some slack in the after-launch period. Besides, it doesn't change the fact that they can put out a big game a month during the rest of the year just by distributing correctly what's already announced.

MarcelRguez

Haru17

Also Minecraft came out this month, and there are two giant AAAs in ARMS and Splatoon coming in each summer month when no other publisher is putting out games of that caliber. I think the Switch has plenty of games this year, 2018 is where gap concerns come into play for me.

And y'all remember this is a Ubisoft game right? More than likely it'll just be overlong and boring rather than having any particular huge deficiency.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Octane

@Haru17 According to gamers, Ubisoft games are always terrible. Add a Mario and Yoshi and suddenly we're looking at a potential masterpiece.

Octane

Nicolai

Haru17 wrote:

...2018 is where gap concerns come into play for me

I wouldn't worry about 2018 until after E3. That's when most next-year releases are announced.

And y'all remember this is a Ubisoft game right? More than likely it'll just be overlong and boring rather than having any particular huge deficiency.

Fair point, actually. Any Ubisoft game I've played hasn't exactly reached the paramount of excitement. I've enjoyed some of their games, but more in a "sit back and let it happen naturally" sort of way.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

MarcelRguez

@Octane Not always. Michel Ancel and his team are good. The endless barrage of Just Dance, Tom Clancy and open-world titles, not so much. Although I've heard Watch Dogs 2 was surprisingly good.

MarcelRguez

Haru17

@Octane I mean I really enjoyed Child of Light and From Dust, but this game looks much less unique from the cover and aesthetic alone.

@Nicolaison I know that E3 is the most likely candidate for 2018 announcements, and I'm not condemning Nintendo for the lack of them or anything — How could I? It's not 2018 yet! I was just saying that I don't think they've left any room for 'droughts' in 2017, and that the chance for them will be during the coming years.

They've announced a focus on 2017 titles at E3, and if the show passes and we don't see a Metroid, Retro game, or some kind of new AAA for next year, it will hurt Nintendo in the public's eye. It wasn't great when they didn't have anything at the Switch Event, even. Making big announcements in end-of-year Directs seems like a mistake at this point.

Ralizah

@Grumblevolcano I don't need, Disgaea 5 Complete is a pretty decent release. Although, that's not first party.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Octane

@MarcelRguez Nah, I'm pretty sure most of their games are decent, provided they're not filled with bugs. The issue is that Ubisoft always manages to find a way to screw their goodwill with DLC, DRM or micro-transactions. Meaning that even the good games are always met with a big frown. For example, I've would've bought For Honor if it wasn't for that stupid online requirement.

Octane

MarcelRguez

@Octane "Decent" doesn't cut it when some of their stuff tries to explore complex issues —and I'm using the word explore very generously— with the mentality of a fifteen year-old. Wildlands being the most recent example of what I mean.

From my perspective, games are an old enough medium now to displace the critical focus of reviews from "is it functional?" to "what does this game try to achieve?" or "what's its message?". This isn't the 80s anymore, it's about time reviewers begin to put games under the same scrutiny as any other cultural product. It won't happen any time soon due to a number of reasons (namely the lack of an audience interested in such a thing and the influence large publishers have over non-academic criticism in general), but a man can dream.

That said, I don't think it matters much with Ubisoft. They've expressed their desire to put out a few games a year that can be milked for long periods of time, it seems to be a matter of time before they go full "games as a service" mode and they completely lose interest in smaller projects such as this crossover.

MarcelRguez

Joeynator3000

Something tells me that was a spam bot, he posted the same video in the chat thread. So...>.>

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

SilasMcCloud

No not a spam bot i just posted the video in two threads. I figured if there was one website that would appreciate the video it would be this one.

SilasMcCloud

Nicolai

@Haru17 That's a fair point. Nintendo can't keep this up; but better later than sooner! No Metroid will suck for Metroid fans, but meanwhile I am thrilled that they are taking a new IP focus with ARMS. I love me them new IPs.

@Octane @Haru17: I enjoyed Child of Light and ACIV myself, but they just don't compare to Nintendo's games :3

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Haru17

MarcelRguez wrote:

"Decent" doesn't cut it when some of their stuff tries to explore complex issues —and I'm using the word explore very generously— with the mentality of a fifteen year-old. Wildlands being the most recent example of what I mean.

From my perspective, games are an old enough medium now to displace the critical focus of reviews from "is it functional?" to "what does this game try to achieve?" or "what's its message?". This isn't the 80s anymore, it's about time reviewers begin to put games under the same scrutiny as any other cultural product. It won't happen any time soon due to a number of reasons (namely the lack of an audience interested in such a thing and the influence large publishers have over non-academic criticism in general), but a man can dream.

That said, I don't think it matters much with Ubisoft. They've expressed their desire to put out a few games a year that can be milked for long periods of time, it seems to be a matter of time before they go full "games as a service" mode and they completely lose interest in smaller projects such as this crossover.

I don't think I've agreed as wholeheartedly with a post in a good while.

And on the specific case of Ubi they're about to undergo a hostile takeover by a French media conglomerate, which likely won't make things any better.

Edited on by Haru17

MarcelRguez

@Haru17 Glad to see we're on the same page. And yeah, things seem pretty grim for them, sadly. If the takeover comes to pass, it will surely impact the way they conduct business. I can't picture "create meaningful interactive experiences" at the top of Vivendi's list of priorities.

MarcelRguez

IceClimbers

@MarcelRguez They've actually said that all of their future games will be GaaS in some capacity.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic