Forums

Topic: Rocket League (Switch)

Posts 481 to 500 of 742

Dizzy_Boy

@joeynator3000 the easiest way to find out is look at the items in the garage and go down each list of items. You'll have an idea of what you have and how many you need to unlock.
The quickest way to unlock the remainig items is to set up an exhibition match with no bots and 1 goal to win the match. It'll still take a while to do this, but it's far quicker than going through regular matches.
Then when you've got all the common items, occasionally you'll get random drops of toppers, banners, wheels, antennas, paints and crates which are tradeable. The best thing to do with the crates is to save them up because Psyonix are adding the ability to earn decryptor keys, that way you can open the crates for free, but the items will be non tradeable except for the trade up thing in the garage.

Edited on by Dizzy_Boy

Dizzy_Boy

Twitter:

ACK

Double drop rate weekend is coming soon, which is also typically double painted as well. Meaning the chance to obtain a painted item (through crates, drops, or trade-ups) is increased... So if you are inclined to open some crates it may be wise to save them for then.

Even if you must use keys, if you get something valuable that you don't need (painted exotics, goal explosion, BAD, etc.) that can be a chip to get something you prefer. Yes, I hate the whole trading process too... Getting constantly spammed invites, listening to whiny snot-nosed beggars, avoiding scams and squirrelly traders (switching items in and out to give you the wrong, less valuable color)...

Anyway, the point is if you want, say, a particular goal explosion, It's going to be exceedingly rare to open that specific item from a crate. Even moreso on Switch since the crate drop rates were recently altered making the newest crates drop at something like a 90% rate. That leaves the 3 or 4 oldest crates to share a 10% rate, so each individual older crate has like 2.5% chance of dropping. Further, these crates have been available only since launch (as opposed to a full year or so) as such there are less of them in the Switch ecosystem compared to the other platforms.

All things to consider. Generally the newer crates and items are more valuable, but there is a real chance of those older crate items disappearing at some point (a la the Champion Crate series, a bunch of exotic wheels and the best BMD you can't get on Switch). Further if you are using decryptors I suggest either using them on crates where you will be happy with most outcomes, or perhaps the smarter method is to use them on the same crate series where you can at least guarantee a solid trade up if you get a bunch of lame decals or whatever.

Sorry for the long-windedness... Just some stuff to consider to hopefully help decide on how to get what you want

Edited on by ACK

ACK

Twitter:

Joeynator3000

Well at least they're making it easier to get keys without paying, that's all I care about.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

ACK

@Joeynator3000 Sure, I'm hopeful, but my expectations are in check... Since of course the point of decryptors is to encourage play and pay. As in to get more people playing to grind decryptors more often and potentially encourage them to buy some keys down the road by giving a taste. So I expect them to be quite stingy all things considered...

Incidentally Psyonix is supposed to publish another roadmap in the next week, which should hopefully clarify the specifics further. Makes sense to time this update with the dog days of summer.

ACK

Twitter:

Joeynator3000

Well it's not like I have thousands of crates, I don't get them too often, so I'd be fine if the keys were infrequent.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

607jf

I'm unable to connect. Anyone else have this problem?

Chao!, Nintendo, Need For Speed, Minecraft And More! 3Ds FC-4742-5514-6521.

ACK

@607jf The servers were/are down. I can connect now, but not sure about joining a match...

ACK

Twitter:

607jf

@ACK Thanks, figures they go back up right after I ask. XD

Chao!, Nintendo, Need For Speed, Minecraft And More! 3Ds FC-4742-5514-6521.

moavi

Hi. hoping someone can answer a QUICK QUESTION...

...I was going to buy ROCKET LEAGUE for my 2 nephews (8 & 6)...

...their father kinda SHIELDS them from the internet--so no playing with anyone online yet...

...I know there is a MULTI-PLAYER format (SPLITSCREEN)...

...but I'm thinking with SO MUCH going on the screen (ON BOTH SIDES), they might get get confused where they're WATCHING...

...my brother has 2 SWITCHES, and if I get them 2 COPIES of ROCKET LEAGUE, would they be able to play OFFLINE, p2p (without the SPLIT SCREEN)...

...my brother has 2 SMALL HDMI Monitors...1 for each SWITCH

...thanks for any help the Community can provide...

moavi

ACK

@moavi Rocket League is perfect for that purpose. As you say, having a full screen will make it much easier, especially when learning. And considering they are mostly playing with each other it'd be better to give them each the best view, best opportunity to have fun.

That said, having two copies would also allow 2v2 splitscreen, which could be great for that age. Offline they will have to play bots or just each other, but there are a variety of fun modes (Soccar, Rumble, Dropshot, Hoops, Snow Day) and you can make a season of each to play against teams of bots and create a sense of progress.

Further, if they were allowed to go online, O think it would be much less daunting and more rewarding to team up while having their own accounts on each Switch. One thing I would recommend is to turn of chat, or at least turn it to quick chat only (canned phrases like "What a save!") to avoid any issues.

Finally Rocket League is the definition of easy to play, tough to master so it will take some guidance to keep kids that age on the right track without getting frustrated. Stuff like control settings, team strategy (roles, rotation), advanced tips (powerslides, dodges, aerials), etc. could go a long way to planting the seed as long as they aren't overwhelmed. Most of all as long as they are willing to learn, supportive of each other and not overly competitive they should have a blast together, possibly coming back to RL for years, I could imagine.

Edited on by ACK

ACK

Twitter:

Dizzy_Boy

@moavi I would also suggest downloading the game to their switches. You can get both copies as downloads cheaper than buying one copy at retail, especially as it's on sale until thursday next week.

Dizzy_Boy

Twitter:

ACK

I should say, we have two Switches and play this exact way all the time. Usually on separate monitors, like you said. It's really something special.

Also, a little tip... Since casual duels are so barren It's not too difficult to cue up at the same time and get matched together. Especially if you turn off cross platform play... This allows newbies to learn at their pace while still completing online matches to get goodies and such. This way you can avoid ballchasers who constantly compete just to touch the ball, obstacles to growth. Works with the other barren playlists, too (Hoops for 2v2). Really helpful.

ACK

Twitter:

NaviAndMii

@moavi Yeah, it's certainly possible. 'Player 1' can set up a password-protected 'Local Lobby' which 'Player 2' can search for and connect to - alternatively, they could form an in-game 'Party' and play Private Matches together

Unfortunately, I believe that both options require connection to the internet (which would also leave the standard online options open in the game) - so, you couldn't guarantee that they wouldn't end up going online unless supervised...it's also a little bit more fiddly to set up than a game like Mario Kart, for example - quite easy when you get the hang of it, but may be a little tricky for young children (I'll post a little video of the process below to help you decide if it'd be suitable )

(Note: The game automatically generates a lengthy lobby name and password - like the one featured in the video - but both can be changed by the host to something a little more user-friendly!)

Hope that helps!

EDIT: See below - you can actually generate a private local lobby without being fully connected to the internet, so that would be an option ..the video above should hopefully give you some idea as to the complexity of the process (not too bad when you get the hang of it - and even just the default set-up is good fun )

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

ACK

@NaviAndMii You can play local on Switch through ad-hoc. Play Local>Host Lobby/Join Lobby. No internet required!

ACK

Twitter:

ACK

@NaviAndMii Yeah, no prob. Too many games come to a portable and don't bother, even though bonfire multiplayer is the dream.

So, you've got to give it to Psyonix... I understand disliking loot boxes and of course there are issues with the game, but they really go all the way in supporting Rocket League with modes and features while always working to both expand and streamline the experience.

To me that is worth the tradeoff, even if the demon temptation must always lurk outside the door.

Edited on by ACK

ACK

Twitter:

moavi

@ACK

@NaviAndMii

@Dizzy_Boy

...THANK YOU so much for all your helpful hints and suggestions...

...You are gonna make this UNCLE look, very SMART to these kids...

...I always said, I find NINTENDO FANS more helpful and enthusiastic than other gamers.

...nice to know I was right...

thanks again for all your help...

moavi

NaviAndMii

@moavi No problem at all - glad to be of service!

They'll probably not only think you're exceptionally brainy - but pretty cool as well for getting them a copy of Rocket League each! #FavouriteUncle! Haha!

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Dizzy_Boy

@moavi Just to let you know, my sister brings over her 2 boys, they're 7 and 4. The older one loves loves to play rocket league on my switch. His brother likes it, but he's more into minecraft though.
Rocket league starts off quite slow at the lower levels. and it'll probably take them quite some time to get to the point where the game goes at a decent pace. My nephews are fine playing at the quicker pace because thats what they're use to when they play on my switch.
There is this thread too, there's a few little freebies that have been handed out that your nephews will enjoy.
https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/nintendo-switch/rocket_lea...

Edited on by Dizzy_Boy

Dizzy_Boy

Twitter:

Dizzy_Boy

Sorry for the double post but it's for a good reason. And it's been almost a week since my last post anyway.
Just to let you guys now, the double drop weekender starts in a couple of hours and lasts until somepoint during the day on monday. The drops also come with double chances of a painted item which is good news if your after a particular colour.
As a sort of bonus, the double chance of getting a painted item works when you open crates too. This is ideal if you've been hanging on to your decryptor keys.

Dizzy_Boy

Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic