Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Online Subscription Service Thread

Posts 961 to 980 of 1,023

Grumblevolcano

I think Nintendo were purposefully unclear about "special offers" because this is it, the odd exclusive content here and there rather than XB1/PS4 scale eshop sales.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Trajan

Just got the online trial. Was it my imagination or was CRT mode on by default? I went to the menu and hit 4:3 before I even thought about it. I heard the CRT on this particular thing can damage screens.

I tried it for a minute. But is it me or is this CRT mode really bad? CRT mode on the SNES looks great, but this is a blurry mess.

"Although PS2 was a sales success because it had a DVD player function, it troubled me that we had moved to a hardware where the sole function wasn’t playing games,” - Satoru Iwata

MONOLITHSOFT and Rareware (SNES-GC) fanboy

ReaderRagfish

Even as someone who plays old consoles on CRTs, I dislike CRT filters of any kind.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

HobbitGamer

CRT filters typically are bad. They seem to be way too heavy with the scanlines.

#NoMoreBedtimes
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NEStalgia

I dont' know, the graphics were designed with CRTs in mind. It's blurry, but it was always blurry. It was supposed to be blurry, that's what kept it from looking pixelated and horrible.

@ReaderRagfish Considering you're playing on CRT's in 2018 you're probably playing on latter era CRTs though. Aperture grille type displays from the late 90's and early '00s. Those were significantly sharper and less blurry than the NES's heyday era screens. Most people were playing on screens from the 70's 80's or at latest early 90's. I can assure you the CRT filter isn't nearly enough to compare to the screens my NES was connected to in the day.

Appropriate NES era CRTs, as a rule:
Have woodgrain cabinets
Have all silver front bezels
Have tube front glass that is a very light gray, not a black-ish color (low conrast.)
Have knobs, or sliders, not buttons
Have a UHF/VHF toggle knob or click-in button
Do not have remotes
A few will have large silver buttons in large rows or grids instead of knobs. These were from the late 80's early 90's.

The prototypical NES era TV would look almost universally like this:
Untitled

If your TV doesn't look like that, you're not playing CRTs authentically At least not prior to the N64 or very late in the SNES cycle.

The CRT filter is just too darned sharp for NES games, to me

@Grumblevolcano "special offers" (we'll tell you more later") always seemed weirdly evasive.

NEStalgia

PikPi

The special offers line always read like a "we don't even know, but at some point we'll throw something together" type of message to me

PikPi

Trajan

@NEStalgia I love thr CRT filter on the SNES. But on the NES online, man that looks horrible. My nes doesn't look that bad on a CRT...

"Although PS2 was a sales success because it had a DVD player function, it troubled me that we had moved to a hardware where the sole function wasn’t playing games,” - Satoru Iwata

NEStalgia

@Trajan Yeah but like I said to readerragfish, does your CRT look like the one in my picture? Late era CRTs look a LOT sharper, clearer, higher contrast, more colorful than the ones that were around in the mid 80's when the NES was dominant. Old CRTs and "new" CRTs don't compare. I mean I had a late era circa 2005 aperture grille PC monitor that actually looks better than most modern 1080p LCDs. But those old woodgrain mid-80's TVs had a black level somewhere around "silver" and were fuzzy fuzzy blurry messes. The NES Online CRT filter looks exactly perfect if not a little too modern versus the TVs I actually played NES on!

So the NESO CRT filter is actually period-accurate for how CRTs of the time period rendered games. If not a little too clean looking still.

NEStalgia

Trajan

@NEStalgia I had a 12" (? It was small) GE. It had woodgraun on the sides. No remote. Hard click wheels to change channels.

Also used an old Zenith furniture tv.

gcunit

TVs without remote controls... those were the days.

The pre-obesity crisis days

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

NEStalgia

@Trajan yeah that's the stuff! And was it not a fuzzy mess like the NES filters? I had a Zenith and a.....heck....I don't remember the brand. Not sure they still exist. And later, a GE. Somehow my NES ate TVs. Then again they were 1970's leftover TVs The one had a "Color Chroma" button on it because adding color was a special feature not for everyone's taste

NEStalgia

Trajan

@NEStalgia No, just going off memory though. GC looks worse than I remember too, but then again thats on a modern tv. I don't remember NES looking that bad. Looks closer to just plain 4:3 tbh. SNES classic with CRT looks exactly like it did.

Hell, I even had my Xbox hooked up to that Zenith. I was one of the 5 people that bought the RF converter for it.

HobbitGamer

I miss the clicking of those dials. Sometimes I wish my pickup had one of the old radios, too.

#NoMoreBedtimes
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ReaderRagfish

Yeah, mine's not quite that old. In fact, if we're gonna get technical, it's not even a CRT at all, it's a rear projection TV by Sony from around the year 2000. But it's got scanlines and flickeryness, and my light guns and old consoles work absolutely perfectly on it, so it's not too far off from the CRTs I've used in the past which is why I sometimes accidentally call it a CRT.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

FaeKnight

To be honest, the CRT filter looks pretty accurate to me. That said, I don't use it often because playing NES games too long with the CRT filter on makes my eyes water something fierce.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

Trajan

If I sign up during my free trial does it take effect immediately, or at the end of the trial?

FaeKnight

That, I'm not sure. I'd assume it kicks in at the end of the free trial though. I just bought a 3 month sub from the get go. Would have been 1 year, but impulse buys meant I didn't quite have enough for that.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

DarthNocturnal

Pretty sure I still had a few days to go in the trial when I got my one year sub. The end date factored in the extra week, if I recall. So yeah, it should just keep going.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

HobbitGamer

The trial runs its course. Same thing if you’ve got an existing sub and add to it. You can actually drop $60 and set up 3 years if you really felt like it.

#NoMoreBedtimes
#MeatAndGreet

Alantor28

HobbitGamer wrote:

The trial runs its course. Same thing if you’ve got an existing sub and add to it. You can actually drop $60 and set up 3 years if you really felt like it.

Really? That's really neat! But will I get in trouble if I use any $20 eShop cards to renew my NSO subscription if I do that?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698
PSN: MMX20

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic