Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Online Subscription Service Thread

Posts 681 to 700 of 2,232

gcunit

Anyone want a subscription for £5? I'm up for signing up for a family sub and sharing it with 5 other accounts (I need the other 3).

If anyone is serious about sharing a family sub then email me at [email protected] and give me an @ here.

I will send you an invite to the group and expect payment within 24hrs. Payment will be via PayPal (it's easy to setup an account if you haven't already).

Edit: I've got one taker already, so just 4 spaces left now.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

FaeKnight

To expand upon my earlier point, I don't have a car. To be fair, I also don't have a drivers license. But because of this, if I was to go out and get an auto insurance policy, I'd have no right to complain about my wasting money on it.

Or to put it another way... if I didn't have a tv it would be kind of pointless to be paying for cable, wouldn't it? I'd have no cause to complain about service outages, lack of anything good to watch, or anything else regarding the cable service because I wouldn't be able to watch cable despite paying for the service. In a similar vein, I have no right or ability to complain about the quality of PS4 games because I don't have a PS4.

If you don't have regular access to the internet for one reason or another, why are you paying for an online service? And why are you buying games that require being online for most of their core gameplay? Let's say you're normally at home and have internet access, but you know you'll be out in the wilderness or on a cruise ship for a month or two and wont have access to the internet. Smart thing then would be to let your NSO subscription lapse until you get back. After all, you wont be able to use it.

If your default is "no internet access" and have to go out of your way to get online, then the smart thing to do is not to pay for NSO because you wont be able to use it most of the time. Simple, right? But then again, people who don't regularly have access to the internet probably aren't bothered by NSO's existence because they weren't playing online multiplayer in the first place.

Edited on by FaeKnight

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

1UP_MARIO

@gcunit now that’s a good offer. I couldn’t get the family to pay 😉

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

HobbitGamer

@Camo-joe ...What? I'm struggling because I don't know where a sentence began or ended.
You can't back up save data on a flash drive for Switch. (are you saying that should be an option instead of cloud?)
I don't want another console to hook up, and I couldn't take an NES Classic on the go to play without a TV.
It doesn't matter if online used to be free. It's not free any longer. Since the release of the Switch, Nintendo said it wasn't going to be free eventually.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

FaeKnight

Camo-joe wrote:

I feel like there is a cheaper way to get almost all of these perks you can back up data on a flash drive almost all the nes games are on the nes classic (and even though you spend more you get a physical console that never has to be connected to the internet) the only things you cannot get online play and discounts (also splatoon outfit and nes controllers) but online used to be free so then if you look at it that way we only get 2-3 things right now whatever they release in the future hopefully is more than just discounts maybe like club nintendo (although my nintendo already tried to do that and kinda failed) tell me what YOU think i would like to hear more opinions.

Punctuation is a good thing. Paragraph or longer run on sentences are a bad thing. Punctuation breaks things up so it's easier to read. It let's the reader know when to stop, pause briefly, and other things. Capitalizing the first letter of a sentence is also a good thing, by the way.

FaeKnight

Grumblevolcano

EvilLucario wrote:

@JaxonH The thing about the online checks for NES games is that now Sony is doing the exact same thing with their upgraded PSNow service.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/09/20/playstation-now-ad...

But I don't see anywhere NEAR the amount of blowback against Sony for this. Why? Because it honestly does not matter in the slightest, but because it's Nintendo and online people want to latch onto ANYTHING to hate on the service. I think the service is not as good as it could be, but that specific complaint is just completely dumb, especially when a competitor is now doing the exact same thing.

Well in Sony's case you're going from something worse to something better. Streaming is essentially a non-stop online check that requires an extremely good internet connection to work even slightly well meanwhile online checks don't require anywhere near as good of an internet connection. Also PS Now isn't the only way to get those games, if you hate the concept you can just not get it and buy the games digitally like normal which isn't true for NES games on Switch.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

OfNullAndVoid

@GameOtaku There could be several reasons (this is all speculation on my part of course) why they don't throw everything on the NESflix at once.:

1) Some of the games aren't Nintendo owned, but rather 3rd party. This means they probably had to negotiate to get the games on the service. If you go to the NES section of the Switch Online webpage, you'll find who owns what games, but I'll list them here for ease of reference:

Arc System Works: Double Dragon, River City Random, Super Dodge Ball
Capcom: Ghosts'n Goblins
Koei Tecmo: Tecmo Bowl, Solomon's Key, Mighty Bomb Jack, Ninja Gaiden
Konami: Gradius, Twinbee
HAL Laboratory: Adventures of Lolo

2) They may have to do advertising. I have no experience in this field, so I have no idea how long this may take.

3) Testing. They have to make sure the games work fine. If they start dumping games onto the service, and games don't work correctly, it wouldn't look good on Nintendo. If I recall correctly, this is what happened to the Last Ninja 3 on Wii VC. Apparently it wouldn't load the 2nd level, and it was removed from the VC shop due to that. If you check the review on Nintendo Life, they adjusted it to a 1/10 due to that. Imagine that happening to the NES Switch Online library.

4) They may have to coordinate between regions. Different regions have different legal requirements. I'm not sure if there's any NES games which may fall under this, but I'm sure Nintendo is always checking to make sure any releases abide by international law.

All in all, these are things hackers don't have to worry about. Licensing? Advertising? Testing? International Law? All these things are meaningless to hackers, since all they have to do is make it available and move on. Nintendo unfortunately doesn't have that luxury, since they have an image to maintain.

But like I said, all this is speculation, make of it what you want

Switch FC: SW-2457-0400-2143

Linkus

Is it possible to change the location of the buttons for the NES-games (the control scheme)? I can't find that option and the default locations feel backwards.

Edited on by Linkus

Linkus

FaeKnight

Er, they're the same position as on the joy con (check and see). As well as the same position that they were on the SNES controller, and original NES controller. Okay, so the left arrow buttons aren't quite the same as a d-pad. But it's still (usually) better then using the analog stick. Nintendo has always had A on the right and B on the left.

FaeKnight

Kimyonaakuma

I just assumed the idea the NES service was similar to Nintendo's methods with the Splatoon games. When those games first came out we didn't have access to all of the available weapons and stages in the game's files, just like how we only have 20 games on the NES service. I don't mind it because having all of the stages and weapons would have been too much, just like an endless list of NES games to sort through wouldn't be that fun...

At least a long term plan of releasing three games a month will keep it relevant and have people check it every once in a while. And as other people have said they would need time to sort out the legal stuff, the online and the emulation.

I was wondering how similar the NES selection will be in the future between all of the regions. Do people expect them to stay the same or is Japan going to get lots of exclusive games to that region? Because I think that's been the case with the Japanese VC in the past, especially with the NES and SNES...

Kimyonaakuma

Linkus

@FaeKnight
I know but since the buttons are not in horizontal position like on the NES controller it feels backwards. I world prefer Y to be the NES B-button and B to represent the NES A-button. But maybe I just need to get used to it..

Linkus

FaeKnight

Er... The layout is pretty much the same as an SNES controller. So I'm not finding it to be a big hurdle. If anything, I thought the Gamecube's controller was harder to get use to. And the N64 controller was just plain weird.

FaeKnight

EvilLucario

B is already on X, so if you want the most comfort you use that. Still backwards but whatever.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

gcunit

I think there's a better thread for discussing the NES app...

https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/nintendo-switch/nes_games...

This thread's more for people looking for a sweet subscription deal

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Linkus

@gcunit
You are right, I didn't see that thread!

Edited on by Linkus

Linkus

mowerdude

Is anyone else also getting disconnected more now that you actually have to pay for the service than they were when the service was free? I know it isn't my connection because I don't have that problem with my other gaming consoles like Ps4, xbox one, Wii U, Ps3.

mowerdude

Alantor28

mowerdude wrote:

Is anyone else also getting disconnected more now that you actually have to pay for the service than they were when the service was free? I know it isn't my connection because I don't have that problem with my other gaming consoles like Ps4, xbox one, Wii U, Ps3.

Not me. I turned my computer into a mobile hotspot, really useful for my Switch and other consoles.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698
PSN: MMX20

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698

Grumblevolcano

No, I'd say the opposite to be honest. Haven't got disconnected once since the update but I doubt that's because of the paid online, rather a coincidence.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FaeKnight

Not me either. I've only gotten DC'd once, and that was before NSO went live.

FaeKnight

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic