Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Online Subscription Service Thread

Posts 1,121 to 1,140 of 1,193

Alantor28

TheAwesomeBowser wrote:

@GameOtaku

GameOtaku wrote:

For $60 psn subscription you get free new game downloads for as long as you are a member, deep discounts on digital games, you get cloud backup (but you can also back up yourself) and access to online play.

NSO is $20, you get no discounts, you access cloud saves (no option to back up yourself), for being a member you can spend even more money on novelty controllers that were designed only with select games, and you can play online.

Even if you didn't play online a psn sub could potentially be more worthwhile in the extra discounts you get in the online shop or if you wanted to demo a full game as opposed to spending $60 (especially if the game is short) I don't play online at all so a online sub is not going to help me one bit. The advantages of VC over the nes nso are very easy to see. If for some reason you can't get to a Internet connection within a week (hey it happens you can't get it everywhere all the time) then you lose access to what you paid your hard earned money for! End of story. Switch online is not worth it. (Oh and before anyone says it's cheaper than the competitions, losing a toe is probably preferable to losing a hand or an eye but really none is ideal.)

Good to see someone with common sense, thank you.

No, that's just not common sense at all. He's just a NSO hater and ReaderRaega argue with him before. So I feel bad for you agreeing with someone who is just a NSO hater.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698
PSN: MMX20

Alantor28

@TheAwesomeBowser -_-! Dude, tone down on your NSO hate, man. No one wants to hear the same thing over and over again. Just get over your hatred of NSO and Wii U ports for Switch.

GameOtaku

@Alantor28
I never said I outright hated it. The fact it's holding our save files hostage and you can only access VC style games (rental unlike actually buying as on VC) on the switch is to subscribe to an online service that if you aren't a big online player is just a waste of money. Are you really so blind or are you just trying to justify your subscription? This needs massive reworking not just a snes bandage to make everything better.

GameOtaku

Alantor28

@GameOtaku Actually, I am a big online player and I am glad I paid for $20 a year for it. So no, I am not blind and I don't see the Online Sevice holding our save files hostage. You're just stuck on the past. We knew Nintendo will go for the paid online service route, and I accepted it. It's time to let go of the past and move on.

GyroZeppeli

Alantor28 wrote:

No, that's just not common sense at all. He's just a NSO hater and ReaderRagfihs argued with him before. So I feel bad for you agreeing with someone who is just a NSO hater.

You don’t need to hold a grudge against someone if you disagree with them. That defeats the entire point of Internet forums. Also, it doesn’t matter that Ragfish argued with him before, because I think we can all agree that his opinion isn’t everyone’s opinion. Also, saying someone that hates NSO shouldn’t agree with someone else that hates NSO because you yourself like the service is dumb.

@GameOtaku I’m pretty sure Alantor put you on the ignore list. I wouldn’t bother at this point.

Edited on by GyroZeppeli

A bizarre musical mashup filled with Yes, Queen, and some other things.

Please notify me if you want to add me on Switch before sending a request. It makes my life easier.

Change My Mind: Johnny is the best JoJo.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6148-2681-7704 | Twitter:

Alantor28

GyroZeppeli wrote:

Alantor28 wrote:

No, that's just not common sense at all. He's just a NSO hater and ReaderRagfihs argued with him before. So I feel bad for you agreeing with someone who is just a NSO hater.

You don’t need to hold a grudge against someone if you disagree with them. That defeats the entire point of Internet forums.

@GameOtaku I’m pretty sure Alantor put you on the ignore list. I wouldn’t bother at this point.

Well, you're right. GameOtaku should stay in my ignore list for as long as I live.

TheAwesomeBowser

@Alantor28 Sorry. Just exercising my legitimate reasons as to why NSO is poor value. And before you say 'It's AU$30 a year, stop whining', pricing doesn't render criticism invalid.

Edited on by TheAwesomeBowser

Check out my Mario Maker troll level! Level code: 4CDF-0000-03CE-3189
Steamed Hams!

GameOtaku

I can't believe the logic I'm hearing from supposed smart people. If you could back up your saves yourself then you'd have a backup and not have to bother with the cloud (it sounds absolutely bonkers that anyone thinks saving to the cloud is such a great thing! There's no guarantee they won't lose your data or it won't go corrupt either.) as far as online play goes PC is still free (only exceptions may be games like WoW or the like which is a massive undertaking) so yeah while the price compared to its console rivals is right it still lacks a whole lot and if you think Nintendo won't increase its costs for better services rendered you are also crazy. VC for all it was didn't lock itself to only those who played online , heck I know lots of people that don't play online. Not every game has online and if you are a single player experience kinda person or a couch/social coop gamer then you don't need the service! I need to get with the times? Maybe you should take a look at things more closely before jumping onto everyone who disagrees with you. I'm argumentative, heck yes, but also so are you and pretty much every other person in the world as well.

GameOtaku

GameOtaku

@subpopz
I'm sure you are guilty of doing the same thing too. It's not like you and me haven't disagreed on somethings.

GameOtaku

subpopz

@GameOtaku What guarantee that your own back ups won't fail in some way? Or be lost somehow? Cloud saves as a concept is fantastic as another layer of protecting save data. Nintendo hasn't implemented it the best by limiting it from a couple games and holding it hostage behind a paywall, but in general, cloud saves are a good thing.
Just because you personally don't want that added layer doesn't mean other people don't. Maybe you should take a look at things more closely before jumping onto everyone who disagrees with you.

Switch - Smash Ultimate, Mario Kart 8D, NES Online (Dr. Mario only)
3DS -
PC - The Witcher 3, Nier: Automata, Mortal Kombat XL

Switch FC : SW-1091-9839-4896

Therad

rallydefault wrote:

Wow... lots of new people in the forum these days, all just rehashing the same discussions we've been having for years.

Hey guys, my coffee from Dunkin' was 4 dollars today, and it gave me roughly 17.5% the satisfaction of a month of NSO (if that's the fancy abbreviation we're giving it these days).

Oooooo! Stimulating! Deep! Totally worthy of discussion and emotional feelings feeling things.

you are not doing the NSO any service when you compare it with American coffee...

Therad

Therad

One thing to remember is that cloud saves doesn't save you from all kinds of errors. If the game itself corrupts your save file, it might very well upload it to the server and now you have no way to get back to an uncorrupted file. The same thing if you somehow delete it yourself, if the game then deletes it from the server you are screwed.
To really have be safe it isn't enough to upload saves, you need to have saves history. Just uploading saves really just save you from when the device breaks or you get a new one, which I don't think is the most common use case.

Overall I think steam should be the baseline for functionality. Steam doesn't offer much, but those things are free at least. Nintendo haven't really been able to get up to that level.
I also really dislikes when companies abuses their monopoly status to cash grab and I hope it bites them in the end. Especially in a case like this where they have no real cost associated with online play.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

Charlie_Girl

me: I haven't read this thread yet, I'm curious what people have to say.

this thread: Untitled

♪I'll be your 1up girl♪

Switch Friend Code: SW-1787-3887-5088 | 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6315-2933 | My Nintendo: CharlieSmile | Nintendo Network ID: CharlieSmile | Twitter:

JackEatsSparrows

@CharlieSmile Welcome to the dumpster fire! I still have some hot dogs and s’mores left.

#NoMoreBedtimes
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Alantor28

Therad wrote:

One thing to remember is that cloud saves doesn't save you from all kinds of errors. If the game itself corrupts your save file, it might very well upload it to the server and now you have no way to get back to an uncorrupted file. The same thing if you somehow delete it yourself, if the game then deletes it from the server you are screwed.
To really have be safe it isn't enough to upload saves, you need to have saves history. Just uploading saves really just save you from when the device breaks or you get a new one, which I don't think is the most common use case.

Overall I think steam should be the baseline for functionality. Steam doesn't offer much, but those things are free at least. Nintendo haven't really been able to get up to that level.
I also really dislikes when companies abuses their monopoly status to cash grab and I hope it bites them in the end. Especially in a case like this where they have no real cost associated with online play.

I hope Nintendo and other companies don't be like Steam. Because Steam also gave birth to arrogant and jerky PC fanboys who think PC gaming is master race. I know someone who is a arrogant PC fanboy and I don't want Nintendo and other companies follow the same route Steam took. That's why I hate PC fanboys because they are arrogant, jerky and narsctic who thinks their PC gaming is better than console gaming. Shouldn't we like all consoles and PC instead of bragging about how one of them is better than the other?

And how is it that companies abused their monoply to cash grab? I didn't met anyone who said that companies are becoming greedy and not caring about their fans.

Therad

Alantor28 wrote:

I hope Nintendo and other companies don't be like Steam. Because Steam also gave birth to arrogant and jerky PC fanboys who think PC gaming is master race. I know someone who is a arrogant PC fanboy and I don't want Nintendo and other companies follow the same route Steam took. That's why I hate PC fanboys because they are arrogant, jerky and narsctic who thinks their PC gaming is better than console gaming. Shouldn't we like all consoles and PC instead of bragging about how one of them is better than the other?

That is your view. But personally I have seen bad seeds in both the PC community and the console communities. Last gen Nintendo fans were for example extremely against paying for online, and Miiverse was the best thing ever! And the gen before it was the PS crowd.

And yes, if another company does something better, I think it is justified to call them out on it. Blind fanboyism is never good. Bad practices are bad practices regardless if steam, Nintendo, Sony or Souya boy do them.

Alantor28 wrote:

And how is it that companies abused their monoply to cash grab? I didn't met anyone who said that companies are becoming greedy and not caring about their fans.

Psyonix makes a popular game named "Rocket league". Said game is a multiplayer game, with their own servers. They pay Nintendo a license fee to be on their platform. Nintendo haven't payed psyonix for the development, nor for their servers, their maintenance or their customer service. They are now behind the sub, which lessens the value of their product = less sales. If you want to continuing to play you need to pony up a sub fee despite Nintendo have nothing at all to do with your connection to psyonix's servers.

If a company starts adding an extra cost on a service while having no overhead what so ever, but can get away with it because they have a local monopoly, what would you call it instead of abusing a local monopoly?

In my mind there is no way this would fly if it was google doing it on the android platform.

Therad

subpopz

@Alantor28 I don't think I've ever heard the PC Master Race thing being connected to Steam before. Steam is bascially just a digital storefront. PC elitism does very much exist though, but is no more toxic than what comes out of console fanbases where there are many people exactly like that the person you know who is like that about PC (personally, I've found the PS elitism worse in recent years).
Steam itself is a wonderful digital platform and if it's functions came to console, so many people would be ecstatic as it already does what people have been asking for on console. Top of that list is always having your library available, no matter the machine you move to. I've moved my Steam account between 5 or 6 PC's over the years and my games are always available. No rebuying, no hassle. Just download the client and install the games I want. I have games from 2003 that I can redownload and play on my newer PC's, whereas on consoles, I have to rebuy them anytime I get a new machine. People have been asking for permanent account-bound digital purchases on console for a long time and Steam has that. A precedent has been set within gaming, but consoles haven't adopted it yet.
Then you have your free online, free cloud saves, friend list that has functionality.
I'd be absolutely ecstatic if Nintendo did what Steam does. All of my previous digital Wii U and 3DS purchases available to me on Switch would be amazing.

I suppose I'm what you would call a PC fanboy (also a Nintendo one, though ). I prefer kb/m for some game types, I like being able to upgrade, I like what Steam offers, I like having access to all mods. But I also don't care what other people prefer to play on.
I fully agree though that everyone should just play on what they want to play on and no one should really care what other people prefer. I'm hoping more crossplay and other cross-functions help with that as people can play together on whatever they prefer.

Edited on by subpopz

3DS -

Alantor28

subpopz wrote:

@Alantor28 I don't think I've ever heard the PC Master Race thing being connected to Steam before. Steam is bascially just a digital storefront. PC elitism does very much exist though, but is no more toxic than what comes out of console fanbases where there are many people exactly like that the person you know who is like that about PC (personally, I've found the PS elitism worse in recent years).
Steam itself is a wonderful digital platform and if it's functions came to console, so many people would be ecstatic as it already does what people have been asking for on console. Top of that list is always having your library available, no matter the machine you move to. I've moved my Steam account between 5 or 6 PC's over the years and my games are always available. No rebuying, no hassle. Just download the client and install the games I want. I have games from 2003 that I can redownload and play on my newer PC's, whereas on consoles, I have to rebuy them anytime I get a new machine. People have been asking for permanent account-bound digital purchases on console for a long time and Steam has that. A precedent has been set within gaming, but consoles haven't adopted it yet.
Then you have your free online, free cloud saves, friend list that has functionality.
I'd be absolutely ecstatic if Nintendo did what Steam does. All of my previous digital Wii U and 3DS purchases available to me on Switch would be amazing.

I suppose I'm what you would call a PC fanboy (also a Nintendo one, though ). I prefer kb/m for some game types, I like being able to upgrade, I like what Steam offers, I like having access to all mods. But I also don't care what other people prefer to play on.
I fully agree though that everyone should just play on what they want to play on and no one should really care what other people prefer. I'm hoping more crossplay and other cross-functions help with that as people can play together on whatever they prefer.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. While I like NSO, it wouldn't hurt it to be like Steam like you and Therad said. Though Nintendo bringing all their classic console games to a Steam like Nintendo Switch Online could be a problem as they are really ancient (I could be wrong though) and emulating them could take years or decades depending on how good the programmers at Nintendo are. But yeah, I think a Steam like NSO could be great (Though I like the Netflix like version of NSO right now). And since Nintendo is hiring people to make NSO even better, I hope they do something like Steam does, possibly without the toxic PC elitism.

subpopz

@Alantor28 Oh, I wasn't offended, no worries. I know there are toxic ones out there That is the first time I've seen it tied to Steam though, rather than the hardware. The PC elitism stems from superior hardware and options for input. Console elitism seems to stem from brand name loyalty more than anything. Both are ridiculous, IMO. Who can be bothered to care what someone else prefers to use?
Steam goes well beyond the retro though. I can buy a new game now and I own the digital version forever (as long as Steam exists). No matter if I get an entirely new PC multiple times over, I will always have access to it. I think that alone would propel digital console games because I think a lot more people would embrace it. Going forward it's far more possible as all 3 major consoles are now using common architecture allowing backwards compatibility when the next iterations of them arrive.
The thing is with the retro though, is that it wouldn't take years or decades. They could do it tomorrow if they wanted. Nintendo has emulators for NES, SNES, GB, GBA & n64. That's what VC and NES Online are. Each game doesn't need to be done individually and they can add more at any time. They only need 1 emulator for each system. I think this is what people find most frustrating - we have the means to play the entire library already and the only reason we aren't (besides licensing on 3rd party) is just that they aren't adding them. Multiplayer is also possible via the emulator (as is done in the emulation community). I, too, like the NES Online service. I'd like to see them go all in with it, instead of what they are doing with it. Hopefully whoever they get to head it up gets it more into gear.

Edited on by subpopz

3DS -

Marth_is_cool

I enjoy NSO but it needs a lot of new things SNES games maybe a few other consoles. Better online on those games. Dedicated servers The online service has potential and much to improve. i have since i like to play games online and every once in a while NES games. But the service is in no way perfect. Just my 2 cents also this topic has turned into pointless disagreeing over nothing form both sides so the topic is kinda a dumpster fire. Well that is my thoughts.

Marth_is_cool

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic