Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Online Subscription Service Thread

Posts 1,101 to 1,120 of 1,191

1UP_MARIO

@electrolite77 I hope they add button mapping in a update. I still don’t find it much value on its own other than cloud saving but family subscription gives it value. If that wasn’t there I doubt I’ll continue subscribing. If you know other switch owners it might be a good idea to join in with them

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

electrolite77

@1UP_MARIO

I might try that at some point. The button thing just really irritated me. That and the NES games Online being restricted to friends only. The chance of a few Online games of Dr Mario would have tempted me but the way they’ve handled that is really offputting.

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

RedderRugfish

@electrolite77 I can understand the friends only online for games like River City Ransom where a troll could easily just mess up everything, but stuff like Dr Mario or Super Dodgeball with matchmaking would be cool.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

electrolite77

@ReaderRagfihs

Yeah maybe they could restrict some games, or give the option to. It looks like the way they’ve configured the App makes changing that side of it difficult. Missed a selling point for me, as I got a lot of use out of Online Dr Luigi on the Wii.

Edited on by electrolite77

Alantor28

Since people here were wanting some dedicated servers so they can play online without fear of disconnecting and hackers, let's be real here... Dedicated servers can also be hacked like normal servers. Thanks to the rapid advancement of technology, hackers can even hacked into dedicated servers. So even if Nintendo does put in dedicated servers in their games, it's not gonna make the problem go away.

Because the hackers are not that stupid, if they can hack into normal servers, they can even hack into dedicated servers. So sorry to say this, but dedicated servers for online games will also be hacked. And as someone in a article say: nothing is 100% secured, even dedicated servers.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698
PSN: MMX20

1UP_MARIO

@shaneoh you speak the truth

Alantor28

Yeah, but I just learned that dedicated servers cost $100K a year, that's breaking the bank. And I also learned that the p2p vs dedicated servers debate is a bit like the 90s debate of something.

MarioLover92

@electrolite77 You could use X as the NES B button instead of the Switch's B button for a similar feeling to using B and Y, but yeah I do agree there should be button mapping. Waiting for SNES games isn't a bad idea, though I would imagine they would make SNES online friends only like they did for NES. I agree with @ReaderRagfihs on making certain games playable with anyone, particularly competitive games such as Super Mario Kart and Tetris Attack, though the matchmaking should prioritize who has the best connection the moment the player connects.

"Super Mario Maker on Switch.................CALLED IT!"
-Me while watching the 2/13/19 Nintendo Direct

Therad

Alantor28 wrote:

Yeah, but I just learned that dedicated servers cost $100K a year, that's breaking the bank. And I also learned that the p2p vs dedicated servers debate is a bit like the 90s debate of something.

And yet psyonix can afford that, without a subscription. And if Nintendo have 1 million subscribers a 20 bucks, they can afford those servers. Tell me again what are you getting for the added paywall? NES and cloud saves don't count, those are separate services not connected to playing online.

The 90s complaints were because lan parties were the standard at the time, you really couldn't host a lan party on a dialup connection, it would become insanely expensive if the connection could even handle it. Different time, different tech.

subpopz wrote:

@Alantor28 Dedicated servers aren't being used by the majority of games across all platforms for a reason.
It's amusing to watch people complain about the lack of and wanting something that could potentially make their lag worse.

Sure, you can get more lag, but at least you will have a fixed lag. If you (and most other people) have a lag of 100ms, it is much better than you having a lag of 50ms and the host having only of 1ms (from controller to next frame).

Also, if you connect to another persons home, you are 100% at the mercy of their connection and their hardware with no one to complain to. Home hardware isn't built like professional hardware. And if you have a cap on bandwidth and become a host, you will hit your cap faster than if everyone connects to a server.

But still, the problem is that the service doesn't become any better because you pay. It actually becomes worse. It was p2p before the sub and nothing has changed because of it. Or rather, the changes that have happened are all negative for the consumer.

• It costs money = less people playing online
  • Less people = less people at the same level as you = worse matchmaking
  • Less people = less hosts to chose from = increasing lag
  • Less people = harder for online centric games to survive (morphies law anybody?) = less consumer options.

If you think cloud saves, NES games and their chat app are worth $20 bucks a year, you shouldn't think it needs to be bundled with online. But for some reason everyone seems to think it is necessary, while in fact those are different services tied to each other.

Even more strange is it that some games are exempt from their practice. It isn't like Nintendo have higher costs they need to recoup associated with rocket league than they have for fortnite.

This would never have been accepted if it happened on mobile and rightly so.

Therad

electrolite77

@MarioLover92

Yeah it’s better that way just not....quite....right.

It would be a real shame if they restricted SNES games to Online only. I think to a certain generation 8 player Online Super Mario Kart is very attractive and could be quite brilliant. But you’re right, that is what they will do unfortunately.

electrolite77

Anyone bothered with the ‘Special Offer’ NES Controllers?

1UP_MARIO

@electrolite77 the shipping was over 6 pounds when I was to pay, then got put off. It’s a nice collectors item but I’ve hardly used the nes app

NEStalgia

@electrolite77 I got them. I really like them. Personally I wouldn't touch the NES app ever without them....NES games just don't hold up except for SMB3 and the inevitable SMB2 (which I need.) I know my avatar is TLoZ, but it doesn't hold up and we have the superior remake in BotW, so I'm happy. I'm enjoying Zelda II though which was too complicated for me to get into when it originally released, though I'm relying heavily on save states.....it's nigh impossible without them, which is a shame because the world is arguably the best Zelda world to date....but nobody experienced it because it was prohibitively painful.

But yeah, I really love those controllers. I commented in the NX thread a while back that using those controllers makes me realize how those old impossible control games were controllable: They were designed for that d-pad. Mario 3 handles so much better on the right dpad than later controllers.

I'm hoping beyond hope they do wireless SNES controllers when they do SNES as well. It makes all the difference in VC.....a lesson they no doubt learned from the Minis.

NEStalgia

DarthNocturnal

I'm waiting to see if SNES controllers are revealed whenever they get around to adding SNES games.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Galenmereth

Awful experience overall. Tried the trial, there's no way this is even worth a coffee per month. Neither the NES offering nor the online functionality is worth it. I tried Smash online with more than 2 players and it just breaks apart. What are we even paying for?

Galenmereth

Alantor28

Galenmereth wrote:

Awful experience overall. Tried the trial, there's no way this is even worth a coffee per month. Neither the NES offering nor the online functionality is worth it. I tried Smash online with more than 2 players and it just breaks apart. What are we even paying for?

Maybe you have bad internet connections and it's not the online service itself?

1UP_MARIO

@Galenmereth it’s either your internet connection or someone else’s internet connection. I’ve been lucky 50 hours smash online and maybe about 3-4 laggy games and yes I have super sonic fibre optic lightning speed internet but honestly all you need is a stable connection.

Alantor28

1UP_MARIO wrote:

@Galenmereth it’s either your internet connection or someone else’s internet connection. I’ve been lucky 50 hours smash online and maybe about 3-4 laggy games and yes I have super sonic fibre optic lightning speed internet but honestly all you need is a stable connection.

That must be it. As for me, I used my laptop as a mobile hotspot and I didn't have any problems with NSO and playing online on my Switch. I was even able to trade Pokemon without any problems.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic