Forums

Topic: Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee!

Posts 2,381 to 2,400 of 2,747

Grumblevolcano

NSMB and SM64DS were both rated 16+ on the Wii U VC releases because of the Luigi minigames.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Mountain_Man

I caved and bought it.

What I like:

1) No random battles! I've always liked the idea of Pokemon games, but the constant random battles have always made traveling and exploration such a chore that I would quickly grow tired of them. Seeing the critters on-screen allows you to decide if you want to battle and makes it easier to catch the ones you don't have already. It also makes trainer battles special, in my opinion, since you're not worn down by battle fatigue just walking around. This is a literal game changer and hope to see this became a staple of the series.
2) The graphics are terrific and look great handheld or docked on the big screen. Everything is sharp and colorful, the animations are smooth, and performance has been flawless.

What I don't like:

It's SO easy. I haven't exactly been power leveling, but my pokemon are two to three times higher than the trainers I'm encountering, and I'm dominating with one-hit knockouts. Even the first gym didn't pose much of a challenge. Maybe it's because I'm still in the early game? I don't know, but I hope it starts to put up a little bit of a fight.

Well, I knew that going in, so I'm not really disappointed. It's still a cute game that I think I'll have fun playing.

The Mountain Man

Arcamenel

Don't let your starter learn those new moves and try not to build up too high of a catch combo then you won't get as much experience playing the game since trainer battle's don't really give you a lot. That being said Pokemon has always been kind of easy once you learn about type advantages and disadvantages.

This game also gives your really strong TM's pretty early on as well. I mean you get Scald from Misty which is just the second gym for goodness sake.

Edited on by Arcamenel

Derrick
3DS FC: 1693 - 1069 - 1732

Ryu_Niiyama

I am nowhere near the elite four but does anybody know if there is a reward for beating all the master trainers in the post game?

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Ryu_Niiyama

@Yosheel so achievements. hmmm. pass.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Mountain_Man

Forget to mention the gorgeous interface with easily readable text whether you're playing on a big HD television or the Switch's native screen. This is a model example of how all Switch games should be.

The game is slightly more challenging after the first gym. I'm still dominating random trainers, but the first battle against Jessie and James went several rounds, which was fun. Also, the second gym had Pokemon that were at least equal to my level which made them a little more difficult.

Part of the ease might be because I'm playing with my kids, so almost every battle is two against one, although we're trying not to knock out our opponents so we can see all the moves. It's hilarious when you deliver a one-hit KO and are told "It's not very effective."

Regardless, this is the most fun I've had with a Pokemon game in years.

Edited on by Mountain_Man

The Mountain Man

JaxonH

I just got the Pokeball Plus. I loved the game so much I decided to go ahead and order it, especially after all the positive feedback from others who have tried it.

And I must say... it's awesome! It feels so good throwing a Pokeball using the Pokeball controller. Feeling the rumble as the thing beeps and blinks and then hearing their cry after you've caught them, all coming from the controller itself. It's just really immersive and helps make you feel like you're really there catching Pokémon. I know the controller really isn't compatible with any other games so it's basically a one game accessory, and I knew that going in when I bought it. I still feel like it was worth it.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

HobbitGamer

@JaxonH Yeah, it really does make the game feel more alive. I still love that “thunk” feel when it locks down. I don’t think the joycon has that distinct rumble

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Cynas

Just spent the last 4 hours trying to get a shiny Growlithe. Apparently with a catch combo of 31+, shiny charm, and lure active the odds are supposed to be 1 in 273. I had well over 1000 Growlithe spawn but not one shiny. At the very least I had a wild Moltres spawn which caught me off guard.

I like this game much more than I thought I would going into it. When the first trailer came out I was pretty skeptical about it, but I had my expectations blown away. Having no random encounters is a massive improvement, and something I hope they keep for future games. I also don't really mind the fact that you can't battle wild Pokemon as much as I thought I would. There are so many trainer battles that it's not really noticeable. Having the Pokemon Box in your inventory is also a huge bonus, especially when trying to complete the Pokedex or checking the IVs on Pokemon you catch. Speaking of which, the new IV checker is extremely convenient. They also kept the Sun and Moon approach to HMs which I hope is a permanent feature now.

I'm still not a huge fan of the art style. I liked the direction they were going with Sun and Moon for the character models, but this game reverts back to the X and Y style. Another thing I'm not a big fan of is the new AVs. They're an unnecessarily overpowered replacement for EVs. You can just increase every stat of a Pokemon by an extra 200. Luckily AVs don't have to be counted in online battles. I guess it can make the main game easier for newcomers, but the game is already easy enough. I guess it is kinda fun to have a level 5 Caterpie with 200+ in every stat beating a level 100 Blastoise.

Edited on by Cynas

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

Arcamenel

At this point the only gripe I have with the game is how ridiculous the capture mini game can be. I mean nothing pisses me off more than a Pokemon breaking out of 3 excellent throws with a yellow ring. I'd be fine with them keeping this in the traditional style games as long as excellent throws gave you like a very high chance of a successful capture. I get it still being a pain on Legendaries and rare spawns but I've had Pidgey's break out of excellent throws with an ultra ball.

Derrick
3DS FC: 1693 - 1069 - 1732

BrainOfGrimlock

Arcamenel wrote:

I get it still being a pain on Legendaries and rare spawns but I've had Pidgey's break out of excellent throws with an ultra ball.

Have to agree with this - I can often spot little discernible advantage to getting an ‘excellent’ throw. I’m sure there is one if I cracked the code open & looked at it, but the number of ‘excellent’ escapes makes me favour the ‘just throw it and let fate decide’ method as opposed to paying more attention and aiming properly for due reward.

Alluded to this in previous posts, but anyone saying it’s easy still, try limiting yourself to 3 party pokemon, don’t have any evolutions and try using mons you never normally would! It freshens it all up wonderfully when you’re not taking the tried & tested with you!

BrainOfGrimlock

Sisilly_G

@Cynas : I for one really like the new mechanics in that regard, but I don't play competitively, so I don't care an iota of what the most obsessive players think.

Many Pokémon are extremely underpowered due to the lack of post-gen evolutions and held items, so, being able to boost individual stats has been really useful in salvaging some of the weaker Pokémon. I have given a whole heap of speed, sp. def, def, and sp. atk candies to my Porygon, and it is still being frequently knocked out by considerably lower-levelled Pokémon. I would have given up on it entirely by now if not for the candies.

And if people want to toy with the novelty of a grossly OP Caterpie, then let them. It's not as if candies are super easy to come by. If somebody invests in their Pokémon to such an extent, then they ought to be allowed to. It's certainly a preferable alternative to boosting the existing level cap of 100. And if TPC wishes to prohibit candied Pokémon from competiting, then that too is their prerogative, but as somebody who only plays offline, this is a boon, and I hope it carries over to subsequent games.

An OP Lv5 Caterpie is extremely unlikely anyway, as the amount of candies required to increase a stat also increases gradually. At best, somebody could invest in an OP Lv60 Caterpie.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Cynas

@Silly_G The amount of candy required stays at 1 for Pokemon specific candy, so you'll only need 200 Caterpie candy if you want to max out all of its stats. It's really not that hard to get Pokemon specific candy once you have a catch combo going. I got well over 200 Growlithe candy within an hour of catching them. After a combo of 31 you can get about 6-7 candy per catch.

If candy were suddenly allowed it competitive play it wouldn't open up the possibility for weaker Pokemon to become vialable. People would just max out the AVs on their powerful Pokemon too. If all Pokemon have the possibility to gain an extra 200 in each stat, then in the end all it affects is the people who aren't aware of AVs which gives the less experienced/dedicated players even more of a disadvantage.

Edited on by Cynas

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

Sisilly_G

@Cynas : Interesting. I wasn't aware of that as I haven't had a catch combo high enough to spawn any Pokémon-specific candies (though I eventually will when I can be bothered shiny hunting).

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Krados160

Got the Pikachu version on order now!

Check out my Discord Server for switch owners looking for people to play with or just chat with about everything Nintendo. https://discord.gg/mFReFGj

Mountain_Man

It took me a long time to decide if I wanted Pikachu or Eevee. I finally decided on Eevee but was thrilled that I was able to catch a Pikachu shortly after starting my adventure, so now I have an Eevee sitting on my shoulder and a Pikachu running by my side.

The Mountain Man

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic