Forums

Topic: Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee!

Posts 2,321 to 2,340 of 2,772

Quarth

@Mattsmash Yeah, that's how it is and I also think we have our nostalgia glasses on when looking back at the older games. Some things definitely have improved. I mean, the first gen games didn't allow you to run, and when running was introduced (gen 2 or 3?), it was via the running shoes. That was kinda lame, haha.

Edited on by Quarth

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

EvilLucario

@Octane Honestly EVs and IVs are also superfluous for casual play. They were there to give the illusion of "Pokemon when trained from lower levels are stronger than Pokemon you catch at the same level" (an actual quote in one of the games) and "every Pokemon is different from each other" to try to sell the idea of fully unique Pokemon.

And it works well enough. Lots of different possibilities you can do depending on the Pokemon.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Octane

@EvilLucario Yeah, very true! And that's why I don't mind them. I like that EV training is a thing, and that you can train a Pokemon the way you want. IVs are a little dumb, and I never really bothered with them.

Octane

Mattsmash

Octane wrote:

@Mattsmash EVs and IVs were always a thing. The games just never really acknowledged their existence until the later games. I don't mind natures. They're easy to ignore if you're not into online play. You probably wouldn't even know it affected your stats unless you looked it up.

I know. But you can't pretend at the time of Gen 1 or even 2, that you seriously knew or at least took them serious? Simpler times.

Quarth wrote:

@Mattsmash Yeah, that's how it is and I also think we have our nostalgia glasses on when looking back at the older games. Some things definitely have improved. I mean, the first gen games didn't allow you to run, and when running was introduced (gen 2 or 3?), it was via the running shoes. That was kinda lame, haha.

Haha, I still hold the run button when playing Yellow, forgetting that its not a thing!

Instagram: Nintendo.Matt

Quarth

How much are the kids into Pkmn these days anyway? It feels like the ones who are, are playing Pokémon Go. Those interested in the mainline series are probably mostly adults around 20-30. I think the kids are more into Fortnite and Minecraft to be honest.

@Mattsmash Me too!

Edited on by Quarth

Mattsmash

@Quarth I feel that's how Nintendo see it too and are trying to sway those playing Pokemon Go, into playing their 3DS/Switch versions. Nothing wrong with that, that's just good business. What isn't good, are those things we've already mentioned.

New younger players = longevity of a franchise & more money long term (And short term, I guess)

Octane

@Mattsmash For EV training? Yes. Just a casual playthrough? No. That hasn't really changed to be honest.

Octane

Quarth

@Mattsmash True. And not only kids, as a lot of adults are playing Go as well. I know many people who aren't gamers, but plays Go. I believe more people are playing games since the advent of smartphones and free to play style of games.

And then there are the ones who maybe played a Pkmn game as a kid, but as adults don't have time for or aren't as interested in video games as when they were young, but feel that nostalgic itch and then Go will do, as it's free and you don't need to drop everything else in order to play it.

Edited on by Quarth

ReaderRagfish

When did they start to actually acknowledge EVs in game? I unknowingly raised a Blissey to level 100 with only attack EVs in Firered back in the day.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

Mattsmash

@Quarth 100%

Those adults who also played as kids may pick the Switch game or 3DS games up after playing the free Pokemon Go and be overwhelmed with the changes. I'm not talking graphically, that will surely help them enjoy, rather than hinder the experience but rather sheer depth of gameplay now.

This is where the hand holding is good.

But we aren't those adults

Quarth

@Mattsmash And because of that, we're putting our hopes to the 2019 mainline game.

But I will gladly try Pkmn Let's Go, hopefully there will be some kind of demo. Only time will tell if it will be a success, bringing more people to the Switch.

Knuckles-Fajita

@Quarth Given Pokemon Sun and Moon were Nintendo's most pre-ordered games ever....you tell me.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

EvilLucario

@Mattsmash That's because EVs and IVs were VASTLY different in Gen 1 and 2. IVs were barely a thing in Gen 1, and in Gen 2 it was a maximum of 15 instead of 31. In addition, in Gen 2, every Pokemon could reach maximum stats in every one.

It only changed into what we know now with Gen 3.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Mattsmash

EvilLucario wrote:

@Mattsmash That's because EVs and IVs were VASTLY different in Gen 1 and 2. IVs were barely a thing in Gen 1, and in Gen 2 it was a maximum of 15 instead of 31. In addition, in Gen 2, every Pokemon could reach maximum stats in every one.

It only changed into what we know now with Gen 3.

Exactly my point. Back in the earlier days, it was a lot simpler and hand holding wasn't reeeeally required. the game has developed and thus needs it for newcomers. I just wish it catered to those who have been around since R/B/Y.

EvilLucario

@Mattsmash But even then, IVs and EVs are just another thing hyped up by the community to be like "oh my god guys THIS is why Pokemon is super complex!!!" And while they aren't wrong and certainly adds a lot in competitive, it doesn't change that the core of Pokemon of just catching guys, leveling them up, and finding more guys is still the base gameplay of Pokemon all the way from Gen 1 to now. All that changed was window dressing and/or adapting the games to better accommodate younger kids in today's world.

-Green-

I think the IVs and natures are poorly handled in Pokémon tbh. The idea behind them was to make each Pokémon unique from one another but by tying a notable advantage to them that you can’t change or develop out of makes all but the one RNG blessed hatchling worth anything and the rest garbage in the sense of the competitive play.

Like Natures really shouldn’t be tied to something as notable and worthwhile as being 10% better and worse in certain areas, especially when a good chunk of them are redundant and serve no current purpose beyond wasting spaces . IVs should be able to be changed, which they did allow in an awful way in Ultra Training, otherwise any Pokémon but the perfect bab is objectively worse. It runs against Pokemon’s Idea of raising and bonding with your team to be the best when you will always be at an insurmountable disadvantage against others.

Edit: Like to put an example, why is it that an Adamant Kadabra is universally worse than a Modest one. Their natures don’t represent anything about the actual Pokémon beyond their stats.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Quarth

@Knuckles-Fajita Of course Pkmn is still one of Nintendo's heavy hitters, no doubt. But are the kids, as in persons under, say, 15, as interested in it as we adults are? Just by looking at what the kids at my work talks about and plays, right now it's all about Fortnite. But I live in Sweden, it doesn't feel as if Nintendo games are as popular here as in for example USA or Japan. But yeah, Pokémon is still a big deal. Would be interesting to see which age groups plays it the most though.

Silly_G

@-Green- : Sinnoh was fine design-wise, but I detested the excessive reliance on HMs to navigate the map (especially that horribly superfluous "rock climb" HM).

I'm not a big fan of Gen VII's "rider" Pokémon either as it feels like such a technical contrivance (though it did open the party up to a more diverse range of Pokémon). It would have been preferable to be able to allocate party Pokémon to fulfill overworld functions without needing to sacrifice one of their precious move slots. Perhaps that would be the best course of action.

If Game Freak wish to implement variable difficulty modes that incorporate "handholding" mechanics for novice players, all the power to them, but those seeking more of a challenge shouldn't be deprived either. The difficulty settings in B2/W2 were "sort of" a step in the right direction if not for the fact that you needed to beat the game first in order to unlock an alternate difficulty mode for the opposing version. They made the process so ridiculously convoluted and superfluous that they might as well have not included it at all.

I did play one of the two with the cranked up difficulty. I remember which though.

Silly_G

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3134-0847 | Nintendo Network ID: sillygostly

Silly_G

@Quarth : I believe that is the audience that TPC/Nintendo are trying to lure in with the Let's Go games. Due to the sheer volume of Pokémon, moves and intricate mechanics that now define the series, I would imagine the Pokémon franchise to be quite intimidating to newcomers.

We had it easy as there were only 151 Pokémon "back in our day", but now, with a generation being born into a world with 800+ Pokémon available from the get go, the franchise may appear to be a tad monolithic to the uninitiated.

The 2019 instalment will be the real test that will determine whether this experiment has been a successful one. I have had quite a few friends buy a 3DS just for X&Y (and the subsequent instalments), so I would imagine that a good deal more will splurge on a Switch to be able to play the first main series Pokémon game on a home console.

Edited on by Silly_G

Silly_G

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3134-0847 | Nintendo Network ID: sillygostly

-Green-

Silly_G wrote:

@-Green- : Sinnoh was fine design-wise, but I detested the excessive reliance on HMs to navigate the map (especially that horribly superfluous "rock climb" HM).

Yeah, I mentioned that too. It was definitely one of the glaring flaws in Sinnoh.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic