Forums

Topic: Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee!

Posts 221 to 240 of 2,747

Rusted_Gold

My one and only request for Pokemon on the switch is being able to turn away random trainers from challenging me, Why I can't I just say no I don't want to fight you it's been over 20 years since Red and blue came out, I just want to tell these awful Trainers, to screw off, I just want to get though this forest so I can beat the gym leader on the other side and catch better Pokemon, I don't want to waste 3 minutes pressing the A button till he runs out of his team of 6 level 4 Metapod's, Why does he even want to fight me I have a fire dragon, he has bugs, that can't even do anything but use harden... I just want to play the game and get to the next town"

Then you walk two more steps,

Trainer "Hey I want to fight you"
Me "Did you just not see what I did to the last Guy"
Trainer "Yeah but my Metapods are level 12! all 6 of them!"
Me "@#$%^&*"

bonus fact cussing using random characters such as "@#$%" are called Grawlixes

Now I know trainer battles are part of the game and are needed to level up your Pokemon but we have all been there, the new town just over the horizon with new pokemon to catch, but a line of trainers all with Zubat's and Rattata's stand in your way.

Also I'm new here so I don't know if anyone has posted about this in this thread already, but since my Switch is out and in for repairs I just started playing though Pokemon Silver on my 3DS to pass the time, and man is it annoying, I will be doing a better job of reading though threads in the future as they pop up, just wanted to write this up before going to bed.

But that is my one and only true want for Pokemon on the switch, I have a list of things I would like to see but that is easily the number one thing I want changed for Pokemon Switch just the option to say NO, with the exceptions of key fights, everyone else in between just might as well be renamed to fodder/padding.

Rusted_Gold

DarkRula

The only thing I could suggest for that is to have non-essential trainer battles needing you to start them. In other words, you talk to the trainer. But then, if you're trying to rush through the routes with as few battles as possible, you obviously aren't going to be prepared for that Gym battle anyway.
The trainer battles are just as much a part of the experience as everything else. The only time I would ever see the need for a refusal to battle system is if you need to get back to a PMC, but even then that's only until you acquire flight or teleport.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

Bolt_Strike

@PainterPaw @kkslider5552000 The difference is that Mario Odyssey didn't use different textures to convey its sense of alienation, it used different proportions and concepts. I never once thought that anything in Mario Odyssey felt out of place graphically, the themes sure felt different and conveyed the sense of alienation in a positive way, but there wasn't any moment in the game where I felt the realism was too much or too little.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

PainterPaw

@Bolt_Strike I was actually using that as an example on how a more detailed pokemon could work well.
Of course, Pokemon for the switch will use a more anime-like artstyle, but I think it will look just fine.

PainterPaw

Haruki_NLI

Okay so regarding the characters we all seem pretty unified in just HD what we have.

My bigger question is...the world. Now we have accurate scaling to everything with Alola (And to an extent Unova did that, and Kalos sort of too) how would a revamped Sinnoh look? Or heck a new region. They can't do the archipelago thing again right away, so I have to wonder if maybe now we will go back to a colder climate.

Johto and Kanto had very Asian origins, Hoenn was tropical, Sinnoh was northern and cold. Unova was very metropolitan, Kalos was...actually kinda boring visually. Alola is a group of tropical islands.
Orre is just desert so no thanks. Fiore was nice, a mix of a few themes. Almia was okay too if a bit bland, and Oblivia was very varied also being a group of islands.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Grumblevolcano

How about Gen 8 being New Super Pokemon Bros. with the return of 8 Gyms?

So a region whose main areas are:

• Grassy plains (Gym 1 = Grass type)
  • Desert (Gym 2 = Ground type)
  • Water area (Gym 3 = Water type)
  • Snowy area (Gym 4 = Ice type)
  • Area with very dense forest (Gym 5 = Poison type)
  • Canyon type area (Gym 6 = Rock type)
  • An area where you're above the clouds (Gym 7 = Fairy type)
  • Final area being near a volcano (Gym 8 = Fire type)

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DarkRula

@YummyHappyPills Orre was more than just a desert, or have you forgotten Agate Village? Besides, we never actually see the full region, just the desert and forest. Though I do admit there isn't much more you can really do with the region itself unless you stick a great massive city somewhere on the map.
Since Kalos was based on France, maybe a Gen8 region could expand into other areas of Europe. A Spain/Italy crossover in design, perhaps, or maybe we could get a region based on England.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

Harmonie

Kalos is a beautiful region. What it lacks visually, I think it lacks visually because of system limitations and also because Gamefreak still can't seem to move past landscapes and such that look 2D. That's where Kalos suffers, it looks like a 2D world adapted into 3D.

A reimagined Kalos without all of the flat landscapes (you know, even the sloped ares were awkwardly "flat" instead of being more realistic like in a 3D world) and the like would be great.

Even with what I mentioned above, I fail to see how Kalos could really be seen as "boring" visually (to me, that's more Alola, which is just... tropical. Meh.)? I thought the region had a lot of variety, and I really liked the autumn-like portions.

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

Late

I didn't mind island trials but I do prefer the good old gyms. I've talked about gyms before but here I go again. I like that they have puzzles and trainers before the gym leader but I think they could make the gym leader battles more interesting. Better AI and teams would be nice. Maybe get rid of the focus on one type or create teams that can handle their weaknesses. I know they have to make their Pokémon more powerful as the game goes on but it's a bit silly that these gym leaders are supposed to be some of the greatest trainers in the region and then they have two unevolved Pokémon. Give gym leaders 6 Pokémon and make each use their own strategy. While Gen 3 was one of my least favorite generations, I think Norman's gym is one of the best ones yet. Drayden's gym in B2/W2 was fun too. It's such a simple change that would make the game more challenging without just rising levels.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Haruki_NLI

I think Kalos is boring just because of yeah, how its presented and in part structured.

The actual locales could be cool...if done in say...the style of Alola where its to scale and not as flat as XY was.

As for Gyms, i enjoy trials despite the curb stomp nature of Totem Battles and I like how USUM improved them from SM where they were "Small quiz/minigame/item hunt - battle pokemon - repeat". Still not amazing but definitely more varied than SM.

Gyms...the one issue i have with them is that they are buildings in the world, rather than part of the world like trials.

MarcelRguez

YummyHappyPills wrote:

Gyms...the one issue i have with them is that they are buildings in the world, rather than part of the world like trials.

Why is that a bad thing, exactly? It fits the setting, if you ask me. Alola as a region is much more in communion with nature than Kanto, which is much more techy than people seem to remember. The artificiality of gyms (including the puzzles) fits nicely in the world of Kanto. They do not fit as well in the more folksy regions like Johto, Sinnoh and even Hoenn because they contrast more strongly with their setting, but I don't see how that's a problem with the concept of gyms itself.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Bolt_Strike

YummyHappyPills wrote:

Okay so regarding the characters we all seem pretty unified in just HD what we have.

My bigger question is...the world. Now we have accurate scaling to everything with Alola (And to an extent Unova did that, and Kalos sort of too) how would a revamped Sinnoh look? Or heck a new region. They can't do the archipelago thing again right away, so I have to wonder if maybe now we will go back to a colder climate.

Johto and Kanto had very Asian origins, Hoenn was tropical, Sinnoh was northern and cold. Unova was very metropolitan, Kalos was...actually kinda boring visually. Alola is a group of tropical islands.
Orre is just desert so no thanks. Fiore was nice, a mix of a few themes. Almia was okay too if a bit bland, and Oblivia was very varied also being a group of islands.

I'm sure they'll make it look nice. I'm not worried about the aesthetics, I'm more worried about the content. If I see the slightest whiff of this game being another linear, casualized experience where they hold your hand all the way to the Elite 4 and leave you with virtually nothing to do in the post game I am staying far away from this game. Now that we're playing Pokemon on console, let's see a console game and not a wannabe mobile game.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

iLikeUrAttitude

At the top of my head:
Picking what city/region you start in
Open world with scaled levels
(If possible) Exploring past regions
A better character customization system
A better not mediocre story - Looking at you xy, sun moon
Voice acting

Good... good
Now play Dragon Quest

roy130390

I actually liked Sun and Moon's story. It' simply a lighthearted story focused in creating a league. Hau was a bit too basic and dumb for my taste, but Lillith and even edgelord Gladeon improved through the story. Kukui felt like he actually cared and wasn't just there asking to do his job, and Guzma and his crew were just a bunch of delinquents and that was it, instead of some "major organization" full of mediocre weirdos who aspired way too much considering their capacities. I also liked the fight for the championship surprise, wich was completely ruined in Ultra Sun and Moon and did exactly the expected thing that every other entry did except for Sun and Moon. The captains had a bit more of participation than the average gym leader, and the small stories like the lady who told the story about machamp and his husband or the way you find Mimikyu were details that made the game special for me.

In terms of story, I want a lighthearted story similar to this one focused more on being a trainer, since it doesn't take itself too seriously nd the few times it did worked for me.

The important thing to me however, is that the games need to feel more alive, like in Monster Hunter stories, where you actually see the monsters doing their thing. You can still hide monsters in tall grass and stuff, but it would be really pleasing to see a sandbox full of caves, ruins, forests, jungles, mountains, deserts, mazes and others places to explore, with different paths and routes. Many events should vary depending in if it's day or night, and the weather should change from time to time. In other words, I want a pokemon game with more things to explore. Instead of a massive open world, I prefer a sandbox full of details and secrets to share, where you are free to progress however you want.

Edited on by roy130390

Switch Friend Code: SW-3916-4876-1970

StuTwo

@Rusted_Gold yes, yes yes.

Mandatory trainer battles whenever they see you are an improvement over true random battles of Dragon Quest clones but in the 20 years since the franchise started they’ve never taken that next brave step forwards.

Why not let us pick most of our battles? Conceptually it’s a small step compared to what Zelda BoTW did.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Haruki_NLI

Well in doing so....you would just walk past most trainers....which is actually something you can already do...

Haruki_NLI

So Pokemon may be developed in Unreal Engine 4. I can confirm this is the Material (Texture) editor in UE4 which is showing the unwrap for the Pikachu model on the monitor.

https://nintendeal.com/news/rumors/new-job-listing-suggests-p...

That is....very interesting.

Haruki_NLI

@DarthNocturnal Honestly it makes a lot of sense. It means the game arrives faster, as they won't have to spend time making their own engine like they have in the past, and lord knows a HD engine would take a while.

Kylo_Ren

Found this video suggesting that the next region could be Spain, he certainly brings up very good points, personally I would love a region based on Spain.

Edited on by Kylo_Ren

Kylo_Ren

MarcelRguez

They kind of toyed with the idea in that Darkrai movie, with its Barcelona-inspired city. I find it strange that we haven't seen a UK-inspired region, personally.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic