Forums

Topic: Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee!

Posts 2,161 to 2,180 of 2,747

Jarester

what is different from lets go pikachu then regular pokemon series? like the one coming out for switch in 2019?

Jarester

Eel

This one has the pokemon go catching mechanics instead of regular random wild battles.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

-Green-

You can actually change natures now in the game. Baby steps, people.

This is good though. Pokémon has so much needless grind and rng in it for it owns good. So more ways to improve your favorite poke is great.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

RunGMhx

Ok, ive never really played Pokémon.... but looking at the video : https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=YTHsHQYZuyc at 6:27, what’s up with that double kick animation? Pikachu just look like a rigid rock being drop from an inch off the ground... some other attack look like more care have been put in the animation but still less than what could be expected nowadays... is this like a untouchables classic animation for double kick ? I could swear attack animation in Pokémon go already look better even if it’s a light mobile game...

RunGMhx

Octane

@RunGMhx No, it's not. The older 3D games used to have better animations. This ''lack of animation'' for moves like double kick has been in the game since X&Y and Sun&Moon; ever since the games went 3D on handhelds. They just reused the same animations from the 3DS games.

Octane

RunGMhx

@Octane thanks for the answer, a bit unfortunate they didn’t use the extra power of the console for something a little more animated.... hopefully next year entry will do a little better.

RunGMhx

Octane

@RunGMhx Well, the entire Let's Go games feel a bit like a cash grab anyway. Let's Hope next year's game is more like a proper new game

Octane

-Green-

Have you seen how awful the trainers look like when rotating or changing direction or how dumb the walking animation for Sun and Moon are. Pokemon a lot of the time looks incredibly rigid and lifeless.

The 2D games got more of a pass because they were pixel art, but now that they're 3D it really just shows how bad they look imo. I don't expect the next mainline game to change that either tbh.

Tyranexx

In terms of aesthetics, the Gen IV and V (to a lesser extent) games have my favorite art style (2/2.5D). I didn't like the weird chibi characters in X/Y. Sun and Moon were an improvement (haven't played the Ultras yet), but the animations seemed a bit jerky at times.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Eel

Weren’t they even chibbier on 2D? I man, their heads were like the same size as their entire body.

One of my biggest gripes with X and Y is that hey standardized and sanitized a lot of the Pokémon designs. Colors got faded, anything with wings never touches the ground... Attacks are plain.

Back in the day we would get new poses with personality and art evolution in every generation, now they’ve been using the exact same dull models without variation for almost a decade.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Grumblevolcano

It'll be interesting comparing Incineroar in the Gen 8 games with Incineroar in Smash Ultimate.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Tyranexx

Yosheel wrote:

Weren’t they even chibbier on 2D? I man, their heads were like the same size as their entire body.

I just don't feel like the trainer sprites translated very well to a full 3D environment in X/Y. It's by far not the biggest gripe that I have about those games, but it's one of the things that always bothered me.

...I may also be a bit biased towards Gen IV and V though. Playing the Gen IV demo back in the day really knocked my socks off. It doesn't help that SoulSilver is still my favorite Pokemon game as I feel that they did a great job with Johto's redesign. My only complaint about HG/SS is that they scrapped Kris's (better IMO) design for Lyra's.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

-Green-

Pokemon just feels very rigid as of late, imo. I questioned whether it was me just getting old, but seeing Incineroar in Smash yesterday, really just reminded me that a lot of pokemon in mainline games as of late just feel very stale and rigid. They don't emote much and that kills a lot of the charm. It's more notable as time passes, to be honest.

I liked how Gen 6 introduced that feature to pet and care for your Pokemon, and having them power through conditions. It made it feel like you were forming some sort of bond. I also loved how Gen 3 and 4 had it as an option to play in contests and to decorate their pokeballs because it meant you could do other cool stuff with them too. Dressing them up and raising their stats in Pokeatholons in HG/SS was actually fun. I don't really get that vibe in the picture thing in Gen 7, it felt more token and the models didn't help its case.

I appreciate that these games are at least allowing you to change natures of a pokemon. I always thought it was against the spirit of Pokemon to just toss out a Pokemon because you can't train it to be as good as it can be. Hopefully, they take more steps like this in the future.

Edited on by -Green-

Octane

@Yosheel Yeah, the flying Pokemon...

I don't like it. Most of them shouldn't be flying. Swellow looks like he's powering through a hurricane head first the way he is animated, and it looks incredibly silly in battle. They should be standing on the ground, with the flying animation reserved for moves like Fly. Levitating Tropius looks silly too.

And it's just weird thinking about the reason why this is: Sky Battles; that thing X&Y introduced and ditched as soon as it could. All the eligible flying Pokemon had to have standard flying animations, they couldn't touch the ground because that would look stupid in the sky battles. And yet here we are, many years later and we're still seeing the effects of that one feature nobody cared for.

Octane

-Green-

Tbf, Pokemon could've changed them in the past few years if they wanted to but they clearly felt that was too much time and money and decided against it. Sky Battles were a dumb idea though, they appeared like 5 times.

Tyranexx

-Green- wrote:

Tbf, Pokemon could've changed them in the past few years if they wanted to but they clearly felt that was too much time and money and decided against it. Sky Battles were a dumb idea though, they appeared like 5 times.

I found that they were an interesting idea but were poor in execution. They were in the weirdest spots too....

Eel

There's like five or so in the whole game, they were ridiculously easy, and they never come back.

You can't even organize multiplayer sky battles. Which could've been a nice little meta of it's own I guess.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Haruki_NLI

@Octane All those Pokemon that had to be animated flying to take part in Sky Battles.

Like ya know....Arceus.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

-Green-

On second thought. Modes specifically for things like flying and underwater Pokémon seems like a really cool thing to design as a side feature. Like going to a specific area/town where you participate in events and contests to train the best Pokémon for swimming or underground or flying or whatever. almost like a monotype thing.

Kind of like the stuff the anime does. It’s just a matter of fleshing it out and it not being half hearted.

Edited on by -Green-

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic