Forums

Topic: Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee!

Posts 1,661 to 1,680 of 2,747

Octane

I think I'm going to skip these games. I lowered my expectations, because it was looking very likely we wouldn't get a gen 8 game this year, but still, the idea of a Yellow remake is too good to pass up on. Then we get this lol.

I don't mind the GO integration. But it's the idea that it's an extremely basic and stripped down version of a Pokemon game. It's more spin-off at this point than Colosseum and XD, at least those games had the basic mechanics.

No online connectivity means no online battles, it also means no trading (good luck getting a Gengar or Golem!). No wild Pokemon battles suggests that the leveling system will be altered as well. Unless you can battle other trainers indefinitely. But I'm not sure what I think about that as a substitute.

Anyway, the games are confirmed to be €60. It doesn't come as a surprise at this point, but I'm perfectly fine skipping these games for that price.

Octane

Octane

I've read there is actually online connectivity, and thus online battles and trading. That makes a big difference I think.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

Makes me wonder how you EXP Grind.

But yeah, this is how they launch Pokemon's console career. A remake of a 20 year old game that somehow has less going and less mechanical depth than said original game.

That's brave.

Whats more concerning though is this is TPCi we are talking about. If this sells better than Gen 8 Pokemon wont be the same and given this is the same company blocking videos on this game on YouTube from outlets covering the news....

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

LossyQuote

I'm wondering how they're going to approach possible sequels to this game.
Will the following games be called Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee 2 or will they use other Pokémon starters? The thing here is there are no 2 other Pokémon that are as recognizable as Pikuchu and Eevee. So my guess would be numbered sequels.

Or maybe they'll go a different route and release expansion packs to the first game with additional regions and Pokémon? That'd be cool as well I guess.

LossyQuote

Octane

@Tsurii Well, that's good to know. The wild Pokemon thing is still a bit disappointing. Maybe there are other new changes that make up for it. But I fear they're going to overhaul the stat system as well for this entry.

@LossyQuote This is probably a one-off thing.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@Octane But if it is a one off thing...whats the point?

The people they aim to bring in are intimidated by the main games. Gen 8 is coming. They SAY it wont be like this. So the demographic for this wont buy that.

Unless they plan to continue this side series or bleed it into the core games over time. Otherwise this is a one off money dump

LossyQuote

@Octane
If this game sells well enough, and I honestly think it will sell bonkers, there's no way this is a one-off thing.
Most (all?) other Pokémon spin-offs that sold well got multiple sequels.

LossyQuote

Reyes

I really hope this game has shinies. I am a little disappointed at what it turned out to be but I think I can have a lot of fun with it. Pretty much at this point if there are no shiny pokemon to hunt then I probably won't buy the game.

Reyes

Octane

@YummyHappyPills That's PR talk. Pokemon GO is a cash cow, but it's clear that the numbers are slowing down, so this is a last effort to cash into the hype big time. Because let's be honest, it's a 1-to-1 remake of Yellow (no planning, concepts, designing new Pokemon, characters, region involved). And it's using up-rezzed Sun and Moon assets, saving big time on the development of new 3D assets. It's a relatively low cost project compared to a new game. It's the first Pokemon game on Switch, so it'll sell regardless, and it's taking a slice of the GO pie.

So the point is that this is a one-off thing specifically made for this moment in time.

Unless the they can prove me wrong and Pokemon GO is still a big thing five years from now, I think this may just be a small side project that cashes in on the hype.

Octane

Haru17

LMAO, I watched the Pokemon Quest trailer first thinking that was Let's Go. Anyway, I'm just gonna do pros and cons as I see them.

Pro Controllers

• Random battles are finally put to bed.
  • Wild Pokemon are never really challenging, so that change could make the games way less grindy.
  • Riding Pokemon is always cool, however expansive ends up being.
  • Cutting off some of the past generation Pokemon could be a healthy step for the series.

Pokemon Con-quests

• There are no new Pokemon.
  • Pokemon reuse their 3DS models.
  • The levels are all square and look like trash. No surprises left in Kanto.
  • Every character in the game looks awful and you can't even play it on your phone or anything.
  • They're going to go right back to all 1000+ Pokemon in the next game.
  • Seems like the story is going to be nonexistant like a phone game.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Alber-san

@Haru17
Why do you think the story will be nonexistent? There's no proof of that and we see prof. Oak and a team Rocket member so it could be there but hasn't been shown yet.

Switch FC: SW-4227-6363-7321
Online games:
Rocket League, Splatoon 2, NBA Playgrounds, Fortnite

Favourite single player games:XC2, Skyrim, TLoZ: BotW

Octane

@Alber-san It's a Yellow remake. But a non-existent story would actually be good lol. Way better than the happy friends club of 12-year olds they introduced in BW/XY

Octane

Octane

@Tsurii Yeah, the thing is, you could already do that in the older games. Nothing is stopping you from chucking Poke Balls at a Pokemon until it's captured. This just removes any potential strategy.

I'm ho-hum on the removal of random encounters, because I liked the element of surprise, especially for new Pokemon. Like I said over at PushSquare, I don't mind a more interactive way of capturing Pokemon, but it would be neat if they could bring that element of surprise back. IIRC, Pokemon would turn into shadows in Pokemon Ranger when they entered tall grass. Maybe they could introduce that, along with those Zigzagoon tails in ORAS. Enough for you to know what you're looking for on a route, but also not too much that it spoils the surprise for first-time players.

Fishing could be more like Animal Crossing. Different shadows for different Pokemon. Small, medium and big fish. Maybe even unique shapes for the weirder Pokemon like Tentacool and Staryu.

Bring back shaking trees, etc. Just don't do the bird attacks from Sun and Moon. Those were stupid.

Octane

link3710

@Haru17 There hasn't been a single game that features all the available Pokemon, so I doubt 1000+ will be available in Gen VIII. Sun and Moon only had 301 Pokemon available in it's main game, and 381 total. They've always cut out huge amounts of older Pokemon in terms of availability, even GSC cut out the old starters, legendaries, fossils, and more.

link3710

Haruki_NLI

@MarcelRguez Those battle intros look terrible...

link3710

Just saw the tweet about the next games being aimed at competitive players. If that means they'll finally split Pokemon into two sets of releases, one entry-level and dumbed down and one for core players, I'm really more than fine with this. No more multihour tutorials, heavy railroading, and dumbed down story would be a VERY nice change of pace, even with less frequent (sort of) releases.

link3710

MarcelRguez

@YummyHappyPills Yeah, kind of remind me of the "Vs. Trainer" mugshots in older games, only much uglier:

Untitled

Aesthetics in general took a nosedive when the series went 3D.

@link3710 You'll get the same hand-holding and Kanto-pandering you've been accustomed these last few gens and you will like it.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic