Forums

Topic: Pokemon RPG for Switch

Posts 161 to 180 of 262

Octane

@BLP_Software I'm not saying it's a good idea, but since some people here want complete freedom for the entire order of gyms, I thought this would be a simple compromise.

The choice between three gyms is also a bit too much IMO, two is feasible I think. You're a bit underleveled for one gym and a bit overleveled for the other, or you're just underleveled for one gym. I remember you could also do gyms 5, 6 and 7 in Red and Blue in any order, and that wasn't as big of a problem. You were underleveled anyway, and the gyms were pretty difficult. I'm fine either way, but I liked the fact that you could do them out of sequence, even though it was heavily implied that there was an order.

The issue with Johto is that Steelix wasn't much of a threat and neither are Ice types, so the difficulty level stalled around that part and it spiked again for the eighth gym. Even coming off the fourth gym, level 16-20 Rocket Grunts are way too weak. The strongest Pokemon in the entire Rocket HQ was a level 25 Murkrow with Peck and Pursuit...

I don't mind the sequence breaking, as long as they don't go out of their way to make the later areas weaker in case you decided to do those first.

Octane

YummyHappyPills

@Octane If they were going to do that Id like them to do it like Kanto and not Johto.

Johto had major difficulty and balance issues...

Switch FC: SW-5242-2997-2115

Tsurii

All they have to do to allow for freedom with the gyms is actually going with what the cannon says. Every gym leader has different "sets" of Pokémon depending on the experience of the challenger. Bamm , that bit sorted.

Wild encounters are just as straightforward if you just have their level scale in the same way. Have no badges? You're gonna encounter lvl 10 'mon at most in X number of early game areas. Got 4? Crank those wild encounters up to lv 30, but still have the "younger" /weaker wild Pokémon there. It makes no sense that the entirety of a species on route X is basically freshly hatched, where's the generation of Pokémon that layed all those eggs? It'd be so easy to explain level scaling and having further evolved and/or stronger Pokémon on the first route if they just said something along the lines of them not feeling threatened by the kid with the tiny lizard as opposed to the dude who goes around battling the young'uns with his dragon. And I'm sure there's infinitely better justifications for something like that than the bit I'm pulling out of my rear just to have some quick example

Edited on by Tsurii

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

IceClimbers

@Bolt_Strike It sounds like he wants more interactions similar to the headbutt trees in the Johto games or the honey trees in the Sinnoh games, but done in real time rather than through a pop up menu.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

shadow-wolf

@NaviAndMii
I 100% agree with you. I hate to be a Debbie Downer with all of the hopeful wishes tossed around in this thread but I HIGHLY doubt the next game will be open-world or change too much. GameFreak will think the jump to HD graphics will be enough innovation for one game. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the graphics for the next game are similar to PS3 or at most Wii U graphics even though the Switch is far more capable, simply because they'll have something to then improve on for the next gen of games.

GameFreak's like Apple in a way by having a "tick-tock" cycle; they have a gen with major graphical upgrades but not too much gameplay improvements or story/post-game content, and then a gen with minor upgrades in graphics but major upgrades to gameplay/story and post-game content to compensate. I wouldn't be surprised if gen 8 has the same linearity as previous games, as well as a forgettable story and barely any post-game content. They'll save an open-world, better story, and more post-game content for the Gen 9 games.

shadow-wolf

Tyranexx

I wouldn't mind Pokemon games having a larger/more immersive world, but I think going full-on open-world would be taking things a bit too far. Besides, this is Game Freak that we're talking about. They're all for adding in a few new/changed ideas here and there, but I don't see a full-on overhaul happening for a long time (if at all).

On a personal level, I'd prefer if the games didn't go full-on open world, to be honest.

Video Corner: Link Vs. Pit
Currently playing: Yo-kai Watch, Wario Land: Shake It!

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

kkslider5552000

HEY GUYS HOW ABOUT WE TAKE OUR BELOVED FRANCHISE AND MAKE IT OPEN WORLD BECAUSE IT'S A TREND-stabbed repeatedly

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: Slider...

Luna_110

I don't know if Pokémon would work with an open world - part of the series, that makes it so accesible (specially to kids) it's that the linear system allows for a natural progression in levels, unless you decide to go hardcore on grinding.
That way, both casual and hardcore players can enjoy. I don't think a kid would be happy to just accidentally stumble in a high level area and get wrecked. In Gold/ Silver, people who immediately headed to face Price and Clair faced that problem and there were a lot of complains about it.

Massive backlogs are a gamer's worst enemy
Now playing: Bravely Default, Zelda Twilight Princess HD

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Bolt_Strike

essiw wrote:

@Bolt_Strike I understand that, but I wouldn't want Nintendo to make everything an open-world game, it is fun to have a few of them, but if something gets done all the time, the fun part is gone and it will become a hassle instead. I think I like pokémon more as it is now, however that does not mean that I would mind an open-world pokémon game, as long as it adds new fun aspects that make you feel like it is a pokémon advanture and is not like other open-world games. And as kids we all wished for a pokémon mmorpg right I could see how that could work, but it will never come.

They've had a whopping 3 IPs that have gone open world out of the dozens that they still have. Pokemon going open world wouldn't kill the genre diversity in the slightest.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Reginald

I don't see how an open world would work for a core series Pokemon game. You find Pokemon in random encounters in grass or "dungeons" such as caves, and trainers looking to battle typically stick to roads leading to settlements. An open world Pokemon game would be very empty, at most thinly spread. I can't see it working.

Reginald

Bolt_Strike

Reginald wrote:

I don't see how an open world would work for a core series Pokemon game. You find Pokemon in random encounters in grass or "dungeons" such as caves, and trainers looking to battle typically stick to roads leading to settlements. An open world Pokemon game would be very empty, at most thinly spread. I can't see it working.

Okay, well first of all, there's 800 Pokemon and some of the recent games have been utterly crammed with Pokemon. Some areas have over a dozen species of Pokemon in them. They can definitely spread that out without it feeling too thinly spread, no question. They can have different encounter methods, and different rosters based on the environment (remember in SM that different patches of grass in the same area can have different Pokemon now). The only thing they would have trouble with is trainers, because too many of those could easily make you overleveled.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Anti-Matter

@Reginald
Unless if Pokemon Switch looks similar with Final Fantasy XII / Xenoblade, where you can encounter with Pokemons directly, No Random Battle anymore. FF XII / Xenoblade itself already felt like Open World RPG, so don't worry about the world. I think it will not so Empty as you concern about. Beside, who don't want to see a Beautiful worlds fulfilled with beautiful environments and Pokemons swarming around the world.

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

@Luna_110
Oh, about encounter with strong Pokemons before the time, I think Gamefreaks can lock some areas where you are not yet to access certain world due to underlevel or story progress. Imagine Fantasy Life 3DS, just like that when you encounter with Wild Pokemons.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

@essiw
In my opinion, latest Pokemons on 3DS were good enough, but it still felt too linear. I wanna see the beautiful world with Full Dynamic Camera angle like Final Fantasy XII, not Fixed Camera Angle like older Pokemon games. Random Battles all the time is kinda tedious. Instead, if I can encounter the Wild Pokemons directly, it will be more efficient. Imagine Fantasy Life 3DS, I think it's not too hard to avoid some strong Pokemons if you don't want to fight against them. Just run and ignore them. Also, the same experiences when you play Portal Knights. You can see the enemies directly, you can attack them immediately if you want and you can avoid them if you want.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Reginald

Anti-Matter wrote:

@Reginald
Unless if Pokemon Switch looks similar with Final Fantasy XII / Xenoblade, where you can encounter with Pokemons directly, No Random Battle anymore. FF XII / Xenoblade itself already felt like Open World RPG, so don't worry about the world. I think it will not so Empty as you concern about. Beside, who don't want to see a Beautiful worlds fulfilled with beautiful environments and Pokemons swarming around the world.

I would rather have that as a spin-off game and not as a main one.

Reginald

Anti-Matter

@Reginald
Oh, btw. Have you ever know about Fantasy Life 3DS or Portal Knights ?

I think you can feel how does Pokemon games in Open World style from those games. In my opinion, Pokemon games feels better in Open World style like both of them. Random Battles is kinda tedious for me, but encounter specific Pokemons by your eyes is kinda interesting.

Anyway, what is your fear if Pokemon Switch using Open World style, compared by Traditional way Pokemon games ?

Anti-Matter

Reginald

I don't have a fear, I just think that an open world format would not suit Pokemon based on the way it is structured.

Reginald

chriiiiiiiiiis

I really hope they don't change the formula for Pokemon too much. Without random encounters in grass or caves etc, I think it's no longer a normal Pokemon game for me. I don't mind a spinoff idea but don't lose the formula that has been loved for so long.

chriiiiiiiiiis

DarthNocturnal

Non-random encounters means you have more of a choice to battle or not. I'm sure we've all had cases where we'd rather just get to our location then fight/ flee from random fights. And think of all the money we'll save on Repels!

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

3DS Friend Code: 0430-8422-1116

Nicolai

Hitokage1 wrote:

All I want from a Pokemon game is... all opponent Pokemon give the same amount of EVs.

This way you would still be able to just play the game without giving a thought about its internal values as you're getting it or training it, and still be able to battle real people without being completely destroyed in two seconds.

Octane wrote:

Wait, what do you mean? ... And every battle nets the same amount of EVs..?

I think he means something along the lines of doing away with EV's altogether, so that getting competent Pokémon doesn't take as much random chance and grinding. I do find it a shame that I can't go online and expect to have a chance without spending 100+ hours on the game first.

Edited on by Nicolai

Visit the Super Mario Odyssey Challenge Thread! (minor spoilers)
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - || - Splatoon 2 Rank: SZ A+ ::: TC S+0 ::: RM S

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic