Forums

Topic: Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee!

Posts 1,141 to 1,160 of 2,747

Skid

@Octane Ahh, so you were going off of Emily Rogers and using context clues. I agree with you on that timing. I just thought you might have seen something "official" in the leak.

Switch
Username: Skid
Friend Code: SW-7539-3214-1413

Yoshi87

I believe these leaks as they completely fit in with all the information we have been getting thus far - the heavy promotion of Pikachu and Eevee, the leaked Lapras screenshot etc.

What I find really fascinating is the rumours that the battle system was going to be changed. It is now obvious that those rumours were clearly referring to the 'capture' system. The new capture system is obviously going to be based on Pokemon Go, while presumably the battle system will remain unchanged. If so, I think this is a smart move by Nintendo and the Pokemon company as the current capture system is pretty clunky.

It will also be awesome if you can casually capture Pokemon on Pokemon Go and then trade them to the Switch game.

Edited on by Yoshi87

Yoshi87

Skid

Yoshi87 wrote:

What I find really fascinating is the rumours that the battle system was going to be changed. It is now obvious that those rumours were clearly referring to the 'capture' system. The new capture system is obviously going to be based on Pokemon Go, while presumably the battle system will remain unchanged. If so, I think this is a smart move by Nintendo and the Pokemon company as the current capture system is pretty clunky.

Yeah, this is what I've been trying to tell people on reddit and youtube(why do I even try on YT?). People seem to be really freaking out about that. Granted, my initial reaction was like that. I do expect some changes to the battle system though. We always get some kind of alteration each game/generation. Think the categorizing the moves being changed to physical and special depending on each one instead of by type.

Switch

link3710

Yeah, I don't think many people would be upset to have the capture system get revamped to be more interesting than pick a ball, see if it works. Even if it's just integrating things like aiming, accuracy bonuses, etc. So long as there's still a way to do it without motion controls, cause I'll be playing this mostly in portable mode. Oddyssey was definitely hurt by that.

link3710

MarcelRguez

@Yoshi87 How is the current capture system 'clunky'? Throwing a ball is just another action you can make within the combat system, and as such the capture rate is directly influenced by it. It's a game of numbers, the player doesn't execute any real-time actions to influence the result. If anything, throwing balls manually a la Pokémon GO feels much more clunky.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

GrailUK

This game is going to be huge! I haven't played Pokémon in years and even I'm looking forward to it lol!

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

canucksfan989

@Yoshi87 How is it clunky you open up a menu and throw a ball of your choosing? They've even simplified it by making that menu quicker to access.

canucksfan989

Skid

@MarcelRguez @canucksfan989 Clunky isn't really a good word for it. Maybe outdated? More boring than anything to click A and then just sit and wait on rng. It needs a revamp. Leave the lowering health and status change to help with the odds, but add a critical spot (whether it be different on each pokemon or just like GO) and bonuses for you first throw hitting and spin bonuses to add even better chance to capture. This would make it more immersive and "intense" trying to catch that shiny. You could keep the just click A too for people how don't want touch or motion controls for that, maybe even and some stick controls.

Edited on by Skid

Switch

Yoshi87

@MarcelRguez I'm not saying that I dislike the current battle system as I have been playing Pokemon since Red & Blue and I think all the games are great. Having said that, it is just my opinion, but after a while it gets a bit boring always have to waste time weakening Pokemon and then trying frantically to capture them. This is particularly annoying when it comes to legendary Pokemon.

I totally get where Gamefreak is coming from. Make the capture system quick, innovative and fun by adopting the Pokemon Go system which also allows them to have Pokemon in real time - so instead of walking through the grass Pokemon appear in a location as in Pokemon Go. I think this is a decent approach given that the current capture system is over twenty years old. Again, I actually like the current capture system, it's just that I won't be upset if a new system is introduced.

I really hope this all proves true. If so, I' ll be very happy as I think Gamefreak has done well balancing keeping the traditional elements while innovating at the same time.

Edited on by Yoshi87

Yoshi87

Yoshi87

@NapalmPsalm Totally agree with you about the capture system - you articulated the point better than I did. I agree it isn't 'clunky' as such but just unnecessarily time consuming than with the Pokemon Go capture system.

Yoshi87

MarcelRguez

@NapalmPsalm The games already feature systems like that (critical capture, for example), even if they are entirely passive bonuses. Besides, clicking A and waiting for the RNG to do its thing is the entire combat system, it seems weird to me to advocate for a revamp of one side of it but not the other.

@Yoshi87

Yoshi87 wrote:

Having said, it is just my opinion, but after a while it gets a bit boring always have to waste time weakening Pokemon and then trying frantically to capture them. This is particularly annoying when it comes to legendary Pokemon.

I can't really see this as anything but a non-issue. Once you get access to all ball types, it's way too easy to catch pretty much anything in these games, even without relying on False Swipe. If anything, I want legendaries to be harder to catch, in particular the main legendaries. Not saying I wouldn't be in for a shake-up, this is just a weird complaint to me.

MarcelRguez

Skid

@Yoshi87 Here is the thing though. Changing the way you capture it (like how we are describing it) would actually slow the process down rather than speed it up. They already have a quick menu and I can spam a and then the ball will go out. Basically what we are saying is: click the capture button, we can choose what ball to use, actually through the ball through motion or touch screen, and then go through the same animation. The only way I think it is faster is if they have a quick menu for the last item you use, and a separate pokeball button to choose. Even then it would only be faster on the first throw, not the next ones because I believe it should still take a turn each time you throw a ball.

Switch

Yoshi87

@MarcelRguez Definitely an interesting point. I agree with you that it's not a huge issue. I guess I'm just relived that it appears that the capture system will be overhauled as opposed to the battle system in the major way they were indicating as I honestly think the battle system is absolutely fine and doesn't need anything changing... so I'd take a change of capture system any day over that.

Yoshi87

Skid

@MarcelRguez The thing with that is the critical capture is complete rng whether it happens or not. The new critical capture could be like the Excellent in pokemon go where you have to make it happen and even then it doesn't have to guarantee a capture, that would just be broken.

The battle system isn't complete rng though. It's more like chess with rng effects to it to each choice. Like I said, the battle system get changes every gen/game. The capture system has gotten new balls and critical catch. It needs something to really shake it up like the battle system has had in the past.

Switch

-Green-

A different approach to the current method would be appreciated from my perspective. I'm not sure about that whole Go catching thing, but the current method where you essentially just play against the odds is not what I consider fun.

Nowadays it's much easier to capture legendaries and such, but it doesn't feel very rewarding or skilled. Just more grinding. Like in the past when fighting against Legendaries it would come down to dwindling the health of the Pokemon down, inflicting status ailments and lobbing balls until you either caught it or it faints. Some greater form of interaction would be nice.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

MarcelRguez

@Yoshi87 Fair enough. If I have to pick between messing with the battle system or messing with the capture system, I pick the capture system without a second thought too.

@NapalmPsalm I understand the system you're proposing. You're implying however that the current capture system is entirely RNG, and that is just false. The player can turn the odds in its favor by manipulating the HP of the wild Pokémon, applying status effects and using different balls, and there isn't much need to implement any other modifiers because the existing ones are more than enough.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

ValhallaOutcast

being someone whos never played a Pokemon game, never seen a Pokemon show or cartoon

what is the prime style of these games?

Friend Code SW-4365-4821-7317

MarcelRguez

@ValhallaOutcast Turn-based RPGs like the FFs/DQs of yore, only with monsters you capture in the wild instead of human characters as party members. Clones aside, the closer comparison is SMT.

MarcelRguez

Haru17

@-Green- They really should update the Pokeball thing. It's only been the same since, like, 1998. Some sort of mini game with active inputs to affect your chances would be cool.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

ValhallaOutcast

@MarcelRguez so the human character is who you are? And are there good Pokémon and bad ones

Like that pikachu guy he looks good so you capture him and others to squad up against bad monsters?

Friend Code SW-4365-4821-7317

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic