Forums

Topic: Pokemon RPG for Switch

Posts 1,061 to 1,080 of 1,466

DarthNocturnal

They've been speeding up battles every gen (5 in particular felt like a huge improvement). I wouldn't say no to some more streamlining of battle info.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

EvilLucario

@DarthNocturnal I would say that battles slowed down after 5. 6 and 7 are a bit slower than 5, even if you turn off all battle animations. It's not just the 60 FPS in 5 and the tragic framerate in 6 and 7, the overall speed of 5 with sending out Pokemon and damage calculation is still the fastest Pokemon battles have ever been.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

DarthNocturnal

@EvilLucario

That's true. 3D did bog things down a bit...

I remember when HP meters took forever to drain in Gen 4. Mostly in later facilities with high level Pokemon.

EvilLucario

@DarthNocturnal Only in Diamond/Pearl. Platinum sped up everything and it only got better with HGSS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

DarthNocturnal

@EvilLucario

Really? I played the heck outta Platinum and HG/SS. I still remember it feeling like watching molasses run down a drain.

YummyHappyPills

Platinum and HG/SS we still slow.

HG/SS I remember REALLY not liking.

Hard to believe Gen 5 is the same engine.

Sign up for the NL Inklings Splatoon 2 Tournament on June 9th: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

EvilLucario

@DarthNocturnal If you thought Platinum and HGSS is slow, you haven't seen Diamond/Pearl which was much slower.

DarthNocturnal

@EvilLucario

I also played the heck out of Diamond. I honestly don't remember any difference. If there was, it couldn't have been much.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

link3710

@DarthNocturnal It was bad. I nearly dropped out of Pokemon after Diamond and Pearl, til I got to play a Platinum version and found how improved it was.

link3710

TheTetrisGuy

Speaking of the DS games, I’m going to miss the dual screen display. It just felt so good having the menu and moves on the bottom screen and the overworld and battles on the top. Maybe it’s because I’ve been doing it that way for a decade, but I’m worried about the screen feeling cluttered. Not as much the overworld, but the battle system. Granted, they have a bigger screen to work with, and the games that came before Diamond and Pearl are still awesome, so I don’t know if it’ll be a bad thing or just different.

Just a geek that likes video games, and spends to much time playing Smash Bros. and Star Wars Battlefront II.

“Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever you were gonna do anyway.” – Iron Man

Switch Friend Code: SW-2630-7726-6217 | Nintendo Network ID: Friskyfrog

link3710

@TheTetrisGuy I get what you mean. Looking back at the last console game, Pokemon Battle Revolution even, it still seems so cluttered. Granted, the resolution should be far higher than the 480p/i that Wii games were designed for, so hopefully the UI will make use of that.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

Tyranexx

As much as I love the Gen 4 games (they're collectively my favorite generation), I do agree that the battles did run a bit slow at times. I seem to recall Gen 3's battle speed being even worse tbh. LeafGreen especially seemed a bit slow in that department.

But yeah, I agree; battles need to be streamlined further.

Video Corner: Every JRPG Ever
Currently playing: Twilight Princess HD, Ever Oasis

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

EvilLucario

@Tyranexx Gen 3 as a whole was around the same as Gen 1 and 2, and there weren't any speed differences between any of the Gen 3 games. There was that stupid pause after the "it's super/not very effective" and "a critical hit" messages that was especially annoying, which slowed down the pace a bit. Even Gen 4, as slow as Diamond/Pearl were with the HP bar and overall messages, didn't have as much of a delay after those messages (though it got outweighed by the other slow stuff).

DarkRula

Something like the Gamecube or Wii HUD system would be nice to see again. If the battles themselves are also like those games, then removing things like super effective or status messages can easily be done as they'd be shown to a greater degree than before.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

shadow-wolf

So are the rumors about the Pokémon Switch announcement on the 25th incorrect? Or is there still time?

shadow-wolf

darkfenrir

Well it's 24th April, 22:47 right now over here...

I won't hold my breath for 25th announcement though.

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338 | 3DS Friend Code: 2122-5996-0541

TheTetrisGuy

Not to get any hopes up, but it could be a surprise direct like the one in January.

Just a geek that likes video games, and spends to much time playing Smash Bros. and Star Wars Battlefront II.

“Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever you were gonna do anyway.” – Iron Man

Switch Friend Code: SW-2630-7726-6217 | Nintendo Network ID: Friskyfrog

Haru17

It's usually late May or like a week before E3. Get ready for that box art XD

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Tyranexx

@EvilLucario: It could have been that. XD I just recall some battles taking quite awhile; I replayed Ruby about three or four years ago and couldn't believe how slow battles felt at times.

Video Corner: Every JRPG Ever
Currently playing: Twilight Princess HD, Ever Oasis

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

Snagrio

At the very least, we're all but guaranteed an update on if the game will indeed be a 2018 release or not due to the meeting on the 26th, as due to the sheer amount of time needed for marketing and such, it's do or die right now regarding the "2018 or later" moniker since there's no way they'd still be on the fence about it this far into the year.

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic