Forums

Topic: Pokemon Sword & Shield

Posts 901 to 920 of 1,722

Snaplocket

FYI I thought the first Xenoblade was super overrated and that Xenoblade 2 was not. There are also blatant technical improvements (new engine made from scratch and nowhere near as much pop-in). Also, it's obvious everyone saying the first game was better are basing it entirely on the story and characters, which I thought were pretty bad in the original, and obtaining blades and skills (which in all fairness were legitimate flaws).

Edited on by Snaplocket

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

Yorumi

Buizel wrote:

A think a good example is linearity vs. openness in video games - too many people treat the latter as an absolute ideal over the former, but that's not necessarily the case.

This still is more the "I like it" as a measure of quality than real quality. Personal preference is where the real subjectivity comes in. This is why it's possible to be entertained by something that is low quality while also understanding that it is low quality and vice versa. Measures of quality are things like pacing and cadence, themes, cohesiveness. There's other things as well. The point is most of the measures of quality are objective, most of the measures of preference or entertainment value are subjective. I'm just making the point that in almost every case I've seen people confuse personal preference with quality.

Edited on by Yorumi

Yorumi

Nintendo Network ID: yorumi

Snaplocket

@Yorumi Now hold the phone there. I personally don't find Sword and Shield to look particularly impressive but I DON'T agree that openness is automatically better. Final Fantasy XV was open world and was NOT GOOD (imo) and that game was open world, TWEWY is one of my favorite games of all time and that is SUPER linear. This is coming from someone who considered BOTW to be the best Zelda game of all time and thinks Horizon Zero Dawn is the best game on the PS4. Not to mention Fallout 76 is widely considered terrible and that game is open-world. Sin and Punishment Star Successor is one of my favorite Wii games and that game is literally ON-RAILS!

There are a lot of reasons why I'm unexcited for this game but I don't think open is automatically better then linear.

Edited on by Snaplocket

Yorumi

@Snaplocket one typo changes everything. Openness is not a measure of quality, that was my point. I'm going to edit but first sentence should say than not that. Openness and linearity is a subjective measure of personal preference and completely unrelated to quality.

Yorumi

Nintendo Network ID: yorumi

Octane

@Ralizah I dunno. I've been saying the battle animations are terrible ever since Sun and Moon came out. Scratch that, the battle animations in BW look terrible as well, but for different reasons

It is true that more people are focusing on it because of the National Dex, or lack thereof. I think that's a great thing actually, I'm just hoping to see improvement in other areas now they don't have to focus on all the Pokemon.

@Buizel Someone on Reddit made a Wingull model from scratch with a flying animation in a day, and whilst it lacks some polish, it looks better than the current flying animation. I understand that a flying Wingull may be realistically too fast for an overworld encounter, but they could always have them land, hop around, and take off again if needed; Just like they do in the anime for example.

However, there are more Pokemon like Wingull. Swellow, Xatu and Tropius all ''hover'' in place during their idle battle animation as well. Xatu especially looks terrible this way, it looks so much better standing on its feet like it does in all the other artwork. It's because of the Sky Battles in XY that most Flying types have awkward idle animations, but I hoped they'd fixe those animation by now considering Sky Battles haven't been a thing since XY...

Octane

CanisWolfred

@Octane I completely forgot Sky Battles were a thing. I also don't remember Triple Battles ever returned after it was initially introduced, now that I think about it. How many battle styles have turned out to be one-off gimmicks?

Snaplocket wrote:

FYI I thought the first Xenoblade was super overrated and that Xenoblade 2 was not. There are also blatant technical improvements (new engine made from scratch and nowhere near as much pop-in). Also, it's obvious everyone saying the first game was better are basing it entirely on the story and characters, which I thought were pretty bad in the original, and obtaining blades and skills (which in all fairness were legitimate flaws).

Untitled

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

-Green-

There was Triple battle, Rotation Battles, Sky Battles and somewhat Inverse Battles iirc. I think Triple was kind of in Gen 6 for an area in Kalos. Besides that, all of them were basically one of gimmicks that they dumped.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

StableInvadeel

Rotation and triple battles (and horde battles) were removed simply because the 3ds could not handle them that well to begin with.

With the inclusion of high quality trainer models to battles in Gen 7, they were simply not possible anymore.

They could make them return if they wanted to, but I don't see them doing it. I mean, they have been openly and actively rejecting the idea of creating another battle frontier so it's clear they don't like to pick things back up once they've touched the floor.

(sky battles were mostly just a medium sized waste of code and trainer data)

Edited on by StableInvadeel

Invading your ranch, taking your cows.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Snaplocket

FYI, no one really said this but just in case anyone gets the wrong idea. I'm A-Okay with turn-based battles in a home console JRPG. Child of Light, Dragon Quest XI, Octopath Traveler and Legend of Heroes proved that one can pull off a big home console JRPG with turn-based battles, in case the impression anyone got here was that I felt Pokemon needed a full-blown reboot. Like someone else stated, I want it to grow not change into something unrecognizable.

@Morpheel The sad thing is that the Switch could EASILY pull off triple and rotation battles and yet there's no sign of them coming back. Speaking of which, why on Earth do none of the games let you pick the battle style for single player. The Gamecube games are some of my favorites because they're entirely double battles which are a lot more fun and strategic in my opinion.

Edited on by Snaplocket

Snaplocket

@CanisWolfred FINALLY! We agree on something.

-Green-

Pokémon is supposedly balanced around double battles anyway. Would love to get more use out of my friend guard Vivillion

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Snaplocket

Triple battles could be really fun with just a few tweaks.

Octane

Yeah, double battles are my favourite as well. I like Colosseum because of it.

Rotation battles with Pokemon shifting around on the field would look a bit silly with 3D models, but seeing the lack of battle animations, they clearly don't have a problem with that

Octane

Anti-Matter

Actually, i prefer TAG battle like from Monster Rancher 4 PS2.

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Tyranexx

I always liked Triple and Rotation battles and honestly prefer the latter. They definitely allowed for some interesting strategies!

Video Corner: How SM3DW Actually Started (language)
Currently playing: Metroid: Samus Returns

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

Heavyarms55

I would like more variety in the battles too. But rather than a game built almost entirely around double battles or single battles or whatever, I would like a game where the different battle types are changed up frequently and you have to be prepared to answer all of them.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me
Edelgard profile pic credit to the amazing: https://roselph.tumblr.com/

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic