Forums

Topic: Pokemon Sword & Shield

Posts 901 to 920 of 1,182

Ralizah

Sword and Shield have looked fantastic pretty much every time I've seen them. Proper next gen entries in the series. I'm not going to do this thing where I suddenly act like a game I'm interested in and that looks good is complete trash because of a controversial design choice.

@Snaplocket And that's a valid perspective to have. I just don't understand why you'd make the comparison to completely different series when they're not similar or related at all.

Anyway, while I wouldn't mind a good story in these games (I actually really liked the narrative focus of B/W in this regard), I've more been craving a Pokemon game that lets me alone and allows me to explore and play at my own pace, and these games seem to go a long way in that regard.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Dezzy

Heavyarms55 wrote:

I bet a Switch that, despite all the backlash, Sword and Shield are still going to sell over a million copies each.

What kind of non-prediction is this?

Of course they'll sell over a million. Pretty much every pokemon game since the bronze age has sold over 10 million.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

-Green-

Gamefreak pls bring Gogoat in Gen 8. I spent a week breeding a Grassy Pelt perfect Gogoat with the correct egg moves and everything. I wanna try some funny strategies using Dynamaxing since it can spread Grassy Terrain while also attacking. ;;

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Harmonie

@Dezzy Indeed. And I'm afraid that kind of comment (unless responding to someone actually saying the games will bomb) comes off as "You all can complain all you want, but the game is still going to sell great so your opinion doesn't even matter!"

I really hope it isn't meant that way, but I've seen enough snide remarks toward people expressing dissenting opinions in my time that it's not hard to read through them.

@Snaplocket Does it have to go beyond that? I mean, I've always been very vocal about how Sun/Moon removing the National Dex was really bad, and at least in S/M/US/UM you could at least transfer the Pokemon that weren't available in the regional Pokedex over. I should have known this is what GF was leading toward, but silly me... It seems like me, Ms. Pessimist, somehow wasn't pessimistic enough and didn't actually see this coming. LOL

My other complaints are pretty minor, I'll admit.

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

Snaplocket

@Heavyarms55 The game really isn't receiving that much backlash. We here are just the vocal minority, I'm not afraid to admit it. (except the national dex, which is honestly the least of my complaints)

@Ralizah Let me put it this way, Xenoblade 2 (and this is coming from someone who considers the first game to be average at very best) was a HUGE improvement and evolution for the series. Fire Emblem Three Houses, in my eyes, is a big evolution for the franchises strengths (and the graphics in that game aren't even that good). By contrast, Pokemon Sword and Shield (in my opinion) are only a very minor step up and feel like 3ds games pushed onto the Switch. I need to stress that out of all the First-Party Nintendo games, Pokemon is the only game that makes me feel this way. Disagree with me if you want, these are just my thoughts.

Edited on by Snaplocket

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

Morpheel

It's Pokémon, as mentioned in other thread, Pokémon fans don't really want the series to stray too far away from the status quo.

We want to see it grow, but not change too much at once.

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

-Green-

There should be more controversy over the champions design. He looks like a ten year trying to dress cool for a party. It’s a travesty

Snaplocket

@Morpheel I guess you could say I was hoping for a GROWTH SPURT! dead silence

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

Morpheel

@-Green- Oh yes it's ugly, although I think it's a bit intentionally ugly.

The cape even has sponsorships and stuff.

@Snaplocket ba-dum-tsh

Edited on by Morpheel

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

-Green-

@Morpheel I think so too. I genuinely hate it. Can’t wait to beat him just so he can maybe dress like a human being

Yorumi

@Ralizah there are parts of the treehouse footage and e3 trailer that are indistinguishable from an n64 game. Most of the game does not compare favorably to wii games. I don’t get this whole looks amazing stuff. It’s super low quality animations, textures that look like they were made for sd and the removal of a bunch of features. Where is the quality exactly?

It’s really not much of an improvement over XD.

Edited on by Yorumi

Yorumi

Nintendo Network ID: yorumi

darkfenrir

@Snaplocket Not that much backlash? I'm pondering if we are seeing the same internet lol.

(Not counting the Nessa's problem, which isn't really Game Freak's fault)

There's like, 3+ drama over the Nationaldex, including using SunMoon's coding for it, and that there's too many Lillie's model (when in fact it's to lower loading times)

Met tons of people that said Sw/Sh now sucks because no Nationaldex too. Like this game seems to gather even more negative attention than SuMo ever did from what I see.

There's the outcry of "Pokemon Model just need 5 minutes to be made" -> This one luckily is quick to become a meme instead

Then there's the apparently Japanese people are mad over the no natdex either.

Like overall I've seen it seen super negatively, including the ever favorite "the monster design sucks now"

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338

Morpheel

@-Green- Maybe the the local evil team is using him as a flashy cover, and he's blissfully unaware that the entire local pokemon league is controlled by a mafia.

Or he's totally into it and he's their leader!

We can call the evil team... Team FIPA.

Edited on by Morpheel

Eh! My gameplay videos

CanisWolfred

Just FYI, echo chambers form easily on the internet. Measuring the reception of a game with as wide a reach as Pokemon is going to require a broad perspective.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

kkslider5552000

My main takeaway, as someone who doesn't care that much about modern Pokemon as a series, is that there's no good reason why a series as popular as Pokemon can't do better or look better, other than Gamefreak is scared of paying money to hire more people or making less money off of unnecessary, annual releases.

I'm not mad at it, even if I was interested in the newer games. But factually there are parts of this that are just "we want more money, so no". Which granted, is FAAAAAR from the worst example of this in gaming, but it's hard to ignore. And is made worse by how generous a lot of other modern Nintendo games are, and the general quality of their games and of most full priced games. Quite frankly, I can't imagine a main Pokemon release not being profitable, no matter what Gamefreak does. Though to give a little benefit of the doubt, Nintendo is the one company where you can actually reasonably expect games to look more polished than their initial trailers.

It's fine to go against the more obnoxious, miserable haters, and the "LOL DEVS ARE LAZY" people are bad people and should feel bad. But the reality is that any single Pokemon release will make the higher ups at these companies more money than any of you will see in your lifetime. So like, don't be stupidly sympathetic either.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play, please watch and enjoy!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

Heavyarms55

@Snaplocket Really? The Pokedex issue is really the only issue I have seen people upset about. I've seen some people who seem pretty underwhelmed by Dynamax, and I happen to agree it isn't the most exciting gimmick, but that's really the only other thing I can think of. What is it you don't like about the titles, if not the Pokedex thing?

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me

MsJubilee

I don't care about the Pokedex, but all i want is improvement. Especially in in the animations department, that double kick animation is lazy and borderline pathetic. After seeing that animation in Let's Go Pikachu &Sword, i came to the realization that GF will never improve. Why bother improving anything when the blind masses buy their products regardless.

Edited on by MsJubilee

I've died,there is no more me.

Finished reading God's Left Hand, Devil's Right Hand. Started on Grappler Baki.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Buizel

I do sometimes wonder if I've been watching different footage to some people, as I've thought this game looked beautiful from the start. Sure, it's not as ambitious as your typical AAA game, but it does the job and is a massive step up from previous games.

As for animations...i guess those are always limited by the number of Pokemon and moves that need to be coded. How many games have over 20 unique animations for hundreds totally unique characters?

Buizel

Anti-Matter

Well....
To be honest i was impressed more by Monster Rancher 4 animation moves than Pokemon animation moves.

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Octane

@Buizel ''but it does the job''

And that's the problem I think. If it were a niche franchise? Sure, I get it. But for a massive IP like Pokemon, a game that is guaranteed to sell 15 million, at the minimum, it feels as if they're cutting corners wherever they can.

In response to your point about animations. They're cutting a ton of Pokemon this game. I don't have a problem with that on its own, but it would be nice if they put more effort in the existing Pokemon instead. And yes, there are still hundreds of Pokemon, but I don't think they all need 20 unique animations. Depending on the Pokemon and the kind of moves they learn, differentiating between a punch, a kick and a tackle would cover 99% of physical moves. Horn Attack could use the tackle animation, Headbutt could use the tackle animation, and the move Tackle itself as well. You don't need unique animations for every move. On top of that, the 3D models are rigged. So one animation could apply to multiple Pokemon that have roughly the same physique. This saves a ton of time as well.

I mean, just look at T-pose Wingull ''flying'' around, they couldn't even bother giving him a flapping animation to make it seem a little more believable. This just looks silly IMO:

https://i.imgur.com/PxH0QA5.gifv

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic