Forums

Topic: Pokemon Sword & Shield

Posts 821 to 840 of 1,207

Yorumi

@-Green- @CanisWolfred The problem is this is all self inflicted by gamefreak. No one expects them to work themselves to death. However, it would be a false dichotomy to assume the only options are cutting content or working to death. Does pokemon actually need to be an annual franchise? Did anyone ask for sun/moon, ultra sun/moon, lets go, town, pocket card jockey, harmoknight, and whatever that stupid elephant game was? Why couldn't they use the models that are already completed? If they're really having trouble with 3d assets then why couldn't they hire more 3d artists? It's not like pokemon is lacking for cash.

We really do need to stop and look at things for a moment here. Monolith does games like XCX, and XC2 with all kinds of models in a huge open world and doesn't even consider it a big budget game. Ubisoft just showed us Watch Dogs Legion with tons of detailed, high quality, complex characters, dragon quest games come with all kinds of npcs and hundreds of monsters with animations and such. Yet what might be the number one most valuable IP in all of gaming just can't handle making some simple animations.

That's why people are upset, it's not that they want gamefreak to kill themselves, it's the evidence suggest they're not really trying.

Yorumi

Nintendo Network ID: yorumi

Grumblevolcano

@Yorumi I think Nintendo's likely the reason Pokemon is annual, not Game Freak and Nintendo's done the same for Zelda though ports and remasters give the Zelda team more time.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

Dropping the news about the lack of support for numerous Pokemon from previous games during E3 was pretty smart, I think. People aren't going to cry and scream about this for months. By the time November rolls around, all but the most embittered fans will likely be eager to dive into the new games.

Outrage culture is ferocious, but it also has no real longevity to it.

Anyway, that gym theme sounds fantastic. Aside from the National Dex controversy, I've loved everything I've seen about this new set of games.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Yorumi

@Grumblevolcano that does add a new dynamic to the equation. Though I don't think Nintendo can exercise that kind of control over gamefreak. That would go a long way to explain why gamefreak has been talking down about pokemon lately. I kind of wonder if people in charge realize they're strangling the golden goose or if they believe it can never be killed.

@Ralizah granted it's pokemon nothing is going to hurt it but people didn't forget Starfox: Zero and Federation Force.

Yorumi

-Green-

I don’t think nintendo is to blame for the release schedule. The Pokémon merchandise and advertising machine is likely more of the culprit. They’re constantly advertising new games, movies, shows, merchandise etc. They all promote and support each other, but are also dependent on each other. So they work under a very strict schedule

Edit: clarified

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

CanisWolfred

-Green- wrote:

I don’t think nintendo is to blame for the release schedule. The Pokémon merchandise and advertising machine is likely more of the culprit. They’re constantly advertising new games, movies, shows, merchandise etc. They all promote and support each other, but are also dependent on each other. So they work under a very strict schedule

Edit: clarified

Exactly, there are so many factors that changing the schedules create more of a problem that it would solve. What we're left with is a compromise. It's not ideal, but it could be worse.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Yorumi

@-Green- @CanisWolfred yeah but any way you spin it it's not good for us the fans. If they actually have to make significant compromises just to make a bonkers release schedule from a corporate bean counter it's not good for the series. I'd much rather see one awesome pokemon game per gen, even with dlc, than a half dozen mediocre ones. I guess they figure pokemon fans don't care about quality anymore.

Yorumi

shadow-wolf

Not being able to bring all Pokémon over to the new games doesn’t bother me at all but I can see why it’s annoying people who do care. Game Freak is not an indie company who scraps by in sales; they make loads of money, and they could’ve used some of that towards hiring more people to bring the Pokémon over. And I wonder why they couldn’t have just brought over older models so that at least those could come into the game, even if they don’t have more up to date models and animations.

But personally I don’t mind, cause A) I haven’t owned a game since Diamond and Pearl (not counting Pokémon Let’s Go, which I will be selling soon) and B) because I kind of feel like my team should stay in the game it made its mark in. It feels odd to bring my Emerald team to another game because that’s the world they made their mark in so to speak, no point in bringing them into a new world that they don’t really belong in. But that’s just me.

And Game Freak really seems to be going way beyond what I expected them to do. The Wild Area, larger scope, unique themes, etc are much better than I expected so I’m really excited for these games.

Edited on by shadow-wolf

shadow-wolf

Heavyarms55

Ralizah wrote:

Dropping the news about the lack of support for numerous Pokemon from previous games during E3 was pretty smart, I think.

@Ralizah While I am not outraged, I really do think they should have been upfront about it and had that info in the Pokemon Direct. All the trailers and videos we had seen show a nice mix of Pokemon from across the generations, and we had just heard about Pokemon Home connecting Bank, PoGo, Let's Go and SwSh. So it is really easy to understand why everyone thought we'd get support for all mons.

That said, like you said, I will still be getting the game and like others have said, like pretty much everything else I have seen for it.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me

Ralizah

I definitely get what the news about Pokemon Sw/Sh annoys some people. It is a little annoying. It's not a good thing. Some pushback on that is fine and even expected.

What annoys me is the internet turning it into some globe-shaking controversy, a move so devastating that people talk about quitting the fandom and wanting people to boycott the title. It's obnoxious. The Pokemon subreddit , in particular, has been a mess of apocalyptic anger and trolling since the revelation came out during E3.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

-Green-

@Ralizah That's what happens when there is no direction for this type of thing. People are just antagonizing each other at this point and not much is getting done. Genuine discussion and critique is generally lost in favor of hot takes and LULs.

I appreciate that this atleast happened to some extent. It's nice to see that these large portions of the Pokemon community can recognize Gamefreaks questionable practices over the years and kind of bring awareness to them. Sadly though, the direction the franchise will take in the future with this type of release schedule worries me.

Morpheel

Well, the Pokémon fandom is just as hardcore and toxic as every other long running fandom. It’s better to just form our own opinions.

I do think it’s sad that they’ve decided to cross that line, however, I believe it was going to happen at some point, eventually.

Thankfully, my play style means it won’t make much of a difference if x Pokémon can’t be transferred. I’ve never seen much value in using old Pokémon in new files, and I don’t do competitive battles... So I can just continue playing as normal...

Edited on by Morpheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

RedderRugfish

Tiny animals going in and out of balls is serious business, don't ya know?

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

darkfenrir

My biggest problem is when they start to spread misinformation. One of the things are the anger over Lillie having multiple models and the "hundreds of encrypt/decrypt" going on or something

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338

-Green-

Yeah the spread of misinformation is a problem, and also the dev abuse and the blame towards GameFreak. It's not the devs fault, despite some questionable design and content choices, they work under strict and demanding schedules. But there's no real direction in this thing and many of the larger influences while maybe somewhat upset by it, don't care enough, so it'll probably die off soon.

Edited on by -Green-

CanisWolfred

Morpheel wrote:

Thankfully, my play style means it won’t make much of a difference if x Pokémon can’t be transferred. I’ve never seen much value in using old Pokémon in new files, and I don’t do competitive battles... So I can just continue playing as normal...

Same here, for the most part. I can see the appeal, I see each game as the start of a new adventure, and I'd rather have fresh Pokemon to make those adventures distinct from eachother...I can see why the anime went that route...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Yorumi

@darkfenrir part of the reason that gets spread is confirmation bias. The programming in Sun/Moon is just awful. Like embarrassingly bad. The framerate is bad enough but watching the game spend essentially an eternity in computer terms making simple decisions is crazy. So when people see something that explains how bad it really is they latch onto it thanks to confirmation bias.

@-Green- while it's true the schedule is demanding we don't really know who is setting that schedule. Even ignoring that gamefreak does bring a lot of it on themselves. With X/Y they made all these HD future proofed models of pokemon which took extra time than necessary. The idea of doing something like that is to invest time now to save it later. Now we find that was pretty much a pure waste of time, well good.

In another vein they shouldn't really be doing a whole lot of engine work. The rendering pipeline is different on the switch but even there they should be able to use whatever Nintendo is using for their first party games. Most of the gameplay engine should be a direct copy/paste. Consoles don't have any special program languages, they use standards like c++, c#, and others. So the compiler will take care of making the new machine code. This isn't to say there was zero work requires to get the game running. However, the core 3D pokemon engine should have been made with X/Y. Moving to the switch it should have just required swapping the 3DS rendering engine with a switch rendering engine while the core gameplay engine remained intact. The pokemon models were already made in X/Y so those would port over. What should have been left was making the models for the new pokemon, making the world, writing all the text, and tweaking some things for the switch in the engine.

I'm not trying to overly trivialize things here but at the same time proper program code should be highly reusable. This is especially true when the language isn't changing. There are devs making new games on the switch that don't have an existing engine that are doing a better job than the devs who own one of if not the most profitable IP in all of gaming.

I don't even think people care that much about the missing pokemon, I think it's more the straw that breaks the camel's back. it seems like every pokemon game since X/Y has done more to anger fans. It's not going to break the success of pokemon but an IP should just not continually anger a portion of the fanbase.

Yorumi

-Green-

You know, I really hope they do change around Pokémon stats and move pools this time around. Maybe even some slight typing interactions. Like Bug, Fairy and Ice. Ooooooo.

I would really enjoy that. Would like to be able to use something like Vespiquen and have it actually work as the bulky Pokémon it’s supposed to be. Oh and new fossil Pokémon. They’re like my favorite thing

Ludovsky

I dunno if this was linked here already but I fell upon this and I'm.... cautiously optimistic:

(also, apologies for the upcoming wall of text)

https://gonintendo.com/stories/337863-game-freak-expands-on-t...

Not by what's in there mind you specifically, but the way they feel they have to respond at greater lenght than before with multiple points to sort of try to... reassure players about this "change"?

It's weird it makes me cautiously optimistic. Not about the change, but the fact they're finally taking notice of the scope of the backlash they're getting on it. I think to a degree Sword and Shield might become a "growing pains" moment for Pokemon, in a good way. That is, specifically to help them define for themselves what is important to the community... and thus plan ahead in the future the ways to satisfy these demands with what they've seen the community is okay with even if for the devs it might require a noticeable shift in their way of doing things(such as the frequent suggestion actually including stuff like true content updates post-release that could lead to the inclusion of the full national dex since many players have stated being okay with delayed support as long as support is coming).

To a degree that's the thing. If you take out timed-events, ALL pokemon games in the games could be seen as "You release it and it's done". Post-release content update as seen in Splatoon new maps and weapons aren't a thing they even had to consider in the past. That's a lot of a tradition to overcome for a studio with habits as set as Pokemon and just realizing they might not be able to get a full national dex at release must have been a symptom that they're getting to that point where they need to figure how to go forward.

They've mentioned balance worries and I think they are honest with it, though perhaps only looking at it at a surface level. The backlash might lead them to realize to realize that ultimately it's the entirety of the roster that's always been the most important for the larger part of the community well beyond what is or isn't a "trash" or "overpower" pokemon. A lot of the fans really love their less "essential" oddball pokemons.

I think they wanted to Home to really become this alternative to the full pokedex support and want it to be something that'll feature mechanics that would make it worthwhile(I wouldn't even be surprise if it included a non-balanced battling mode using sprite graphics for pokemons old and new to actually function as something that can fit on a smartphone). But at the same time I very well believe it 'won't suffice' in the eyes of the fans.

Which is what make me cautiously optimistic a full pokedex will eventually come. They always felt it would be important it be featured in some ways(hence their hopes for Home) but now the backlash confirmed their guts feeling that indeed the national dex IS indeed important in some form. So they'll try with Home... and it probably won't cut it.
That's when they'll go back to the drawing boards and try to figure it how to bring it to the core games or at least through something like a resurected pokemon stadium side-franchise. Which is what I mean by growing pains. Not for the community but for the devs having to figure out how to please the community that made this franchise such a phenomenon in the first place.

So my guess is we'll get a national dex post-release, though not until they've had initial reactions to Home to further gauge how to go forward with this.
Recall when I said pokemons game were "they make it, release it and that's it beyond timed-events for special shinies and mythicals"? That'll probably be one of the outcome of the growing pains; that just "releasing" the game and calling it a day won't cut it anymore. Thus the way forward for them might be to realize that the path forward might be the limited regional dex at release and then a regimen of post-release content update to fill out the national dex either gradually("Jotho pokemons migration phenomenon!" update) or all at once in an update much later.

It'll be a rough ride, but in a way perhaps that's the "growing pain" event the franchise need for the devs to figure out how they can continue catering to this massive phenomenon of a game.

I mean, seriously, I wouldn't want to be part of the team who even just have to write the mere code/database entries for everyone of these 800-1000 pokemons. So I understand their realization that "all at release" is increasingly just impossible.
But I hope they realize from the rocky road leading to this it doesn't have to be the only option.

There's definitely a couple of people who could be ready to wait for a Sinnoh remakes release for the full pokedex to be added to Sword and Shield as long as the full national dex does come to the game as a result.

But the sad thing though is I think it's such a process they're still in the process of trying to evaluate and gauge it'll still be months after release before we know exactly what form that will all take.

Which is again to say... it'll definitely be the growing pains moment of the franchise and I figure a lot of plans will be made, then remade, then ditched back to the drawing board. Some enacted but then clearly shown as half-compromise before something new is drafted in adittion that would finally take shape into something that will satisfy all and it might change a lot of how the devs may realizes they have to approach this whole thing from then on.

Heck, I wouldn't even be surprised if Gen 8(through either Sword&Shield or later game) was the first pokemon game to include "new regions DLCs" allowing trips to limited locations of past regions or such. Perhaps "safari tour to that Galar-owned island bordering the Jotho-region" or that kind of things as a later result next year or later.

Edited on by Ludovsky

Ludovsky

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic