Forums

Topic: Pokemon Sword & Shield

Posts 761 to 780 of 1,431

Yorumi

@Octane Yeah at this point I'd take anything that is an indication they're balancing the pokemon out. Nerf some buff others. Anything. There's just no excuse for certain pokemon languishing for years, decades at this point, and there's never the slightest attempt to do anything about it.

It's not even all that hard, have a few people who understand the game sit down and design movesets for all the pokemon. If they can't do it for a pokemon they know they have a problem that needs addressing in the first pass. Second pass is test those sets in battle to see how the pokemon's stats and ability stack up, fix the broken ones. Done, that's it, the fans would cheer. Most of us aren't going to world championships so yay we can use our favorite pokemon online and at endgame and have fun.

That's why I'm just so down on this game now with the announcement of not having all pokemon. So we don't get our favorites, you know they won't be patched in, they're not going to balance the game, I'm sure they put little to no effort into endgame just like sun/moon so why bother? I've still got a gba and a DS. If I ever want a pokemon fix I've got 5 generations of pokemon games at my disposal, the remakes, both stadium games, and coliseum. I'm good, game freak can put some effort into the new games if they want my money.

Yorumi

Nintendo Network ID: yorumi

Knuckles-Fajita

They have been nerfing Pokemon specifically since Gen 6. Every game since has had Base Stat changes to Pokemon. For instance in Sun and Moon, Masquerain has it's stats increased, some had ability changes, some have had new moves added. They do do it, but its not noted.

Masquerain for instance, went from a speed stat of 60 to 80, and Sp Atk went from 80 to 100.

Leech Life as a move became one of the strongest Bug moves overnight.

For reference, the Pokemon that had their base stats changed in Sun and Moon are

Alakazam, Arbok, Ariados, Beartic, Chimecho, Corsola, Crustle, Cryogonal, Delcatty, Dodrio, Dugtrio, Electrode, Exeggutor, Farfetch'd, Illumise, Lunatone, Magcargo, Mantine, Masquerain, Noctowl, Pelipper, Qwilfish, Solrock, Swellow, Volbeat and Woobat.

In XY,

Alakazam, Ampharos, Azumarill, Beautifly, Beedrill, Bellossom, Butterfree, Clefable, Exploud, Gigalith, Golem, Jumpluff, Krookodile, Leavanny, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Pidgeot, Poliwrath, Raichu, Roserade, Scolipede, Seismitoad, Staraptor, Stoutland, Unfezant, Victreebel, Vileplume and Wigglytuff.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

iKhan

@Yorumi

I don't think it's as much about making all Pokemon viable as much as preventing the game from powercreeping to the point that even Skarmory becomes UU. You are right that GF doesn't care about making every pokemon viable, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to make ANY pokemon viable without giving them pokesteroids.

On top of that, regardless of whether it was intended, it will be nice to see pokemon like Espeon, which are solid but unfortunately outclassed, have a chance to shine.

Also, your statement about Flareon and Glaceon is just a general problem Game Freak has had with Fire and Ice types. They prefer to make Fire type's best two stats Attack and Special Attack, meaning speed tends to get screwed, and they often have wasted stat points in an unused attack. Fun fact, there is only one non-damaging Fire type move in Will-o-Wisp. They LOVE defensive Ice types, and Lord knows why.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Octane

@Knuckles-Fajita That's not nerfing, that's boosting lol. Masquerain at a total base stat of 454 with the bug and flying type is still a joke unfortunately. Not sure what their reasoning was, but a 20 boost in speed and special isn't going to change that.

Octane

King-X

Happy to see that both random AND non-random battles are in! It begs the question of chaining pokemon as that's a really handy mechanic in Let's Go actually. I like the wolf whistling to attract attention as well.

Currently Playing: Valkyria Chronicles 4 / Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Yorumi

@iKhan the thing is these things could be fixed with some clever thinking regarding moves and abilities. The power creep is their own damn fault too. In gen 1 and 2 pokemon tended to have much more balanced stats. Gen 3 introduced EVs and hyper specialized pokemon which just utterly destroyed the balance of the game and crippled most existing pokemon. Stats got so out of control that attempting to defend became impossible making speed the dominant stat.

I think in gen 3 they started thinking for some reason they were like a tcg and that the only way to get people to buy the new game is to make the new pokemon totally dominant over the old ones. Which just results in endless power creep. EVs were a HUGE mistake, that's what totally centralized the game around raw damage and made it essentially impossible to defend.

That said there are just so many creative ways they could deal with this. Especially since doubles are where the balance is focused. You remember reverse battles from X/Y? Where super effect is now resist and resist is super effective. All the sudden bad types become good types. Well much like trick room why not reverse room? Imagine a type specific protect that works 100% of the time as long as it matches the type of the attack coming in. So unlike protect where it fails on subsequent turns if you use like fire protect it will always work as long as it's defending against a fire attack. Speed Screen could be a cool defensive move. The last two attacks to pass through the screen get double damage. It doesn't fully solve the tanking problem because they still need 4 stats but now slower pokemon become interesting. This makes drain type moves interesting because the tank can take a hit and then retaliate with a boosted drain to heal some or all of the damage. Here's one to consider, 40 base power with priority, "will take any hit directed at the partner pokemon and retaliate." So now you could pair a grass type pokemon with a water type, the grass type uses this to take hits directed toward the water type and then attacks back with a weak attack.

Now these aren't supposed to be perfect solutions. I'm sure I've overlooked things and some might be too powerful or not powerful enough. The point is they're examples of some really creative ways to work stuff into battles. We just see no realistic attempt at balance from gamefreak though. It's just power creep the game now. Now we're at the point where they're basically like eh screw it you can't even use your favorite pokemon anymore.

Yorumi

Knuckles-Fajita

@Octane It was simply showing that yes, they have been doing things to alter Pokemon stats and such, just not been shouting it from the rooftops.

And some of those changes are widely impactful. The nerf to Dark Void means the move never shows up now. Prankster got nerfed by buffing Dark Types. The nerf to Burn damage has reduced the usage of Scald. The buffs Azumarill and Clefable got made them prominent forces in the metagame in Gen 6, as both a hard hitting physical beast, and a wall respectively.

You may not think it, and sure, some, like Masquerain (That was just the first that came to mind) don't make much impact. But on the whole, a new Gen leans to a whole new wave of stat and move changes.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

-Green-

Gamefreak really also just wants to push the newer Pokemon. They want them to be used, to be meta so as mentioned above, they push powercreep that way as well. My favorite example is say, Alolan Ninetales. There's a reason she's the only Ice-type who can learn Aurora Veil and have Snow Warning. Meanwhile, something like Aurorus whose English name and design is based on the very the Auroras does not learn it at all.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Arcamenel

A post on Tumblr reminded me that Pokemon HOME is a one-way transfer from older games and bank so if you move a Pokemon from say Moon over to HOME that isn't in the Galar Pokedex it is stuck in HOME until a post SwSh game releases that the Pokemon is coded into assuming they don't patch it later. It will be stuck in limbo, yay.

Derrick
3DS FC: 1693 - 1069 - 1732

Yorumi

@Arcamenel it does kind of make you wonder if they're not actively sabotaging pokemon. They also mentioned that Home will give some kind of unknown benefit. So lets say a pokemon is in the Galar dex and you decide to move it to Home for the transfer. Now gen 9 comes out, oops not in the new dex can't use it. Hey maybe I want to go back and relive X/Y oh no now you can't anymore with that pokemon, too bad.

They have a perfectly workable system with bank, yet they are trying to replace it with something far worse for the sole purpose of taking your pokemon away. Yes gamefreak we remember all the promises of how bank would ensure you could continually bring your pokemon with you. You may have forgotten but we haven't.

Yorumi

StableInvadeel

Bank already does this.

You can't "go back and relive X/Y" with your old pokemon if you've used them in gen 7.

Up to this point, every generational transfer has been one way only. (except from gen 1 to gen 2).

As a side note, the living dex I keep on bank is still gen 6 compatible, simply because there is no point in transfering them to gen 7.

Edited on by StableInvadeel

Invading your ranch, taking your cows.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

-Green-
Hmm, I can't help but feel that there has to be something wrong with how Gamefreak is making the games. Aren't they reusing the same models and animations? I struggle to understand why they're using higher quality animations as a justification for not having some pokemon when those models should already exist.

Edited on by -Green-

-Green-

Yeah, but so far, the animations are just reused from previous gens as well

-Green-

After looking through it again, you're partially right for battle animations. Moves like Water Gun have been changed but things such as Wood Hammer, Double Kick and Vital Throw are basically the same as previous gens. Except with perhaps some slightly different colors.

Tsurii

@-Green- they're talking about the Pokémon, buddy. I assume they actually change how Pokémon react to attacks and stuff (I'm damn sure I saw a Machoke or Machop or something flinch after a hit in a trailer or the Treehouse stream and I'm not entirely sure, if it did that in older games)
They still use the same models. But reusing models does not necessarily equal reusing animations. Just having the Pokémon act and react differently in the wild means a bunch of new animations for old Pokémon.

Now, I'm not gonna defend that BS about transferring Pokémon. But their, kinda weak, justification for it isn't entirely them grasping at straws. That said, I'll just transfer all my stuff to Ultra Sun and let the Bank sub run its course until I know how and when I will transfer my Pokémon to newer games. Just gonna seriously suck, if I lose the save. Wouldn't be the first time that I lose 200+ shinies 😐

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter

Heavyarms55

We still don't know how big the Gallar Poke-dex is going to be. But from what we have already seen, there is a nice mix from across the years. Thankfully it doesn't seem like they are continuing their obnoxious favoritism of gen 1 plus new Pokemon.

What do you guys think would be a good number for the game? My hope is 300-500 with 300 being the side I think more likely.

@Tsurii I wouldn't abandon Bank yet. I have a sneaking suspecion that it is gonna be lumped into Pokemon Home when Home releases.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me

Tsurii

@Heavyarms55 which is why I kinda wanna avoid Bank tbh. If they combine the two and do the "Gamefreak-thing" to do, they'll somehow try to justify why your Pokémon in Bank suddenly can't be transferred back to the Gen 7 games.

Also, 450 sounds good to me as well. Depending on how big the region is they could (should cough) just go with half of the critters for now and add the other half with the next game beyond Sword and Shield bringing us back to everything in Gen 8. Surely, they'd have enough time to do whatever the hell they apparently did for the Pokémon in SwSh (that's such a fun abbreviation, btw. swish!! 😂) with the rest of the 'mons.

Edited on by Tsurii

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic