Forums

Topic: Pokemon Sword & Shield

Posts 41 to 60 of 1,199

Buizel

An experience toggle seems like the most straightforward way to adjust the game difficulty to me. The games do become fairly challenging if you're under levelled.

Trickier AI could maybe be left to the post - game? Or gym rematches?

Buizel

-Green-

Difficulty levels in Pokémon may as well be a meme, especially with what Gamefreak considers giving ‘good’ options.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

link3710

You all do realize that the EXP share item is already a difficulty toggle that does what you're discussing, right? With it turned off, the 7th gen games were pretty well balanced in difficulty.

link3710

darkfenrir

Well I mean... Exp share isn't exactly the toggle I said?

I was saying increasing exp gotten, not... Sharing it. Although I'm still glad that it exist of course

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338

link3710

Exp share does multiply it though. You get 6x the EXP total with it on now.

link3710

Octane

EXP Share leads to a weird situation where you don't have to use half your team, and they will still level up. I don't think that's a great solution. Plus, the old EXP Share was kinda useful for training, since the experience was still the same; and that's gone too.

Octane

-Green-

I mean Exp Share is like how people say Dark Souls has multiple difficulties with its classes.

Pokemon is going on to gen 8 but has yet to just implement difficulty options or different modes.

Edited on by -Green-

Seacliff

Black 2 and White 2 had difficulty settings.
Hard mode, however, just raised enemy levels and gave trainers more Pokemon... making you level up faster and making the game easier.

Gamefreak never understood difficulty settings, apparently.

Seacliff

-Green-

Being satisfactorily difficult is hard in Pokemon because a lot of the time, Gamefreak just shoves the most basic pokemon into teams without thought as to how they work together. Raising their levels or increasing the level jumps is cool on paper but makes it come down to more grinding. Which while this is a RPG, I doubt many would see as being fun.

Sun/Moon and Ultra S/M did put more effort into the make-up teams for the Totem pokemon. Which while making them difficult made them fun and memorable. I would prefer if increasing difficulty meant trainers had more than just higher levels but also more interesting and unique teams that work well.

farrow000

I want a open world Pokemon game. On the issues of levels and linear story line, they can just have areas that you have to be a certain level to go in.

I personally would love a UK region as its very different all over. England more urbanised with their own spin on the houses of parliament would be cool with some kind of pokemon law. Wales has a lot of vallies and and hills to explore, find more grass types. Scotland would have more of the colder climate pokemon up in the highlands.

farrow000

My Nintendo: SW-3219-1520-3721

-Green-

Been a while since I’ve posted here, but honestly I’m kind of in a mix of excited and expecting mediocrity from this game. My dream (yes I’m aware that I don’t matter ;; ) would be that they actually try to build on the living aspect of Pokémon more. As of late, Pokémon has felt very stiff and lifeless in how the environements and characters feel. It takes away a lot of the charm when the characters and even Pokémon feel like animatronics

Edited on by -Green-

Octane

@-Green- Chances are they'll reveal something next week. I really hope it's on par with other big Nintendo games. I'd be disappointed if it looks, feels and plays like an uprezzed 3DS game.

Octane

-Green-

Yeah me too. I love Pokémon but the games have been stagnating in recent generations imo. Maybe it’s my old age though 🤷‍♂️

Would still love to see it surprise me

Edited on by -Green-

Bolt_Strike

I’m more concerned with map design and content. The recent games are painfully linear and light on content that the games feel like a chore. And when you look at games like BotW and Odyssey making huge open worlds with an unprecedented amount of freedom and packed to the brim with content, it makes Pokémon feel like a preschool effort. Pokémon seriously needs to take a huge leap forward with this game for it to even remotely feel like it belongs on a console, they are so far behind the curve it’s not even funny.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Tsurii

Gen 7 was great, only the Gen 5 sequels are better imo, if they just build on that with some fancier graphics while going back to actually trying with their story like in "base SuMo" or BW I'm happy. I don't care about much else tbh.

Edited on by Tsurii

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter

Octane

I don't care about the story; so I wish they kept it to a minimum, especially with the characters being the equivalent of an emotional flatline, with an awkward smile once in a while. At least hire a decent story writer. I just want the battles to look like the Stadium/Colosseum games; because I still think those look a lot more lively than the static animations of the 3DS games. More than anything else, I'm all for a bit metagame overhaul. There's a power creep going on, so I wouldn't mind a hard stop like there was between 2 and 3; reevaluate the current metagame and improve on it.

And a hard/classic mode; one-use TMs, old EXP. Share, etc.

Octane

Tarolusa

This is basically my wishlist for the Gen 8 Pokemon games:
-Not full on open-world, but have the region be easily the largest one to date with lots of large routes and cities. A guy mentioned this earlier but having the game like Xenoblade and Xenoblade 2 would be ideal where your on a linear structured quest but your allowed to roam free in massive routes and complete smaller side-quests along the way.
-Please have more than 100 Pokemon. While I know some people will use the quality > quantity excuse (which I do partially agree with), one of the most exciting things about the Pokemon game is seeing all the new Pokemon which gets heavily dampered when the roster of new Pokemon is so slim and you're bumping into older gen Pokemon about 75% throughout your journey. I think the perfect, and most reasonable, number would be between 100-110 new Pokemon.
-Have the gym leaders/E4 members more actively involved in the stories or give you the option to hang out with them once you've either beaten them or finished the main campaign. HG/SS and BW did this in spades while XY completely butchered this. It's not a major requirement for me but it would be nice to see the gym leaders/E4 members act more like real people and not just an obstacle to overcome on your journey.
-Far better post-game. If your a Pokemon fan you've probably heard about this request a million times so I'll keep it really short. Give us much more to do than just participate in the battle tree (which is already a heavily watered down battle frontier) and complete a smaller side story you'll be able to beat within 2 hours. This can range from major content such as exploring a past region and post-game dungeons or more slice-of-life features such as contents and playing mini-games in a new facility.
-Make the games more challenging. SM and US/UM are a step in the right direction and offered some genuinely challenging moments, I hope the Gen 8 games take those challenging moments and make them more abundant in the main quest.
-Better online service. If we're going to paying more for the online features now, GameFreak better step up on their online game and giving us something more navigational than the Festival Plaza and MUCH more robust than the pathetic online service of the 'Let's Go!' games.
-Move away from the 2.5D approach and finally embrace a full-on 3D approach for the mainline games. Give us full control of the camera so that we can witness the region in all it's HD glory. I personally think this a really important requirement in conveying that Pokemon has finally move on from the handheld games and is now embracing its status as a console game.
-Last but certainly not least. NO MORE GEN 1 PANDERING. I'm fine with there being Gen 1 pokemon present in the region and the occasional node to Gen 1 landmarks/lore but I don't want Gen 1 taking up about 60% of the content in the game.

Edited on by Tarolusa

Tarolusa

Tsurii

@Octane honestly? Then don't play Pokémon. Or play the older games. I don't want to say it's dumb to want these games to not have a proper story but...yah, it's dumb as **** 😛
I legit don't understand why people even say that, they clearly don't care about gameplay because, hell, you sure as hell don't play Pokémon for the gameplay lol
There's so many better turn-based RPGs out there and when most players seem to be beyond tired of having 800+ different Pokémon it's hard to believe they care about having all of them in one game in the first place. I didn't like a single thing about the new God of War, but that doesn't mean I don't want them to continue with what works for other people when I can just go back to the older titles to scratch that (old) GoW gameplay itch.

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter

Octane

@Tsurii Well, the gameplay, specifically the battles, is pretty much one of the main reasons I like the series. It's like chess, except it has way more depth and rules, yet there's also a kind of simplicity. That's what I like about it, and I haven't found any other turn-based RPG that does this better.

Octane

-Green-

The issue with Pokémon’s story is that it is consistently among the most cliche and underexplored side of narratives. Which would be more bearable if it wasn’t so in your face about it sometimes. If they’re gonna keep it simple, atleast make it unabtrusive. Or if they want to push the narrative make it actually good. Lily’s arc was cute but completely dull and predictable, and she was basically the most upfront about it. Pokémon can afford to do far better.

Edited on by -Green-

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic