Forums

Topic: Pokemon Sword & Shield

Posts 2,061 to 2,080 of 3,072

Harmonie

@Ralizah I never played LGP/E, but didn't think much of the feature because in those games, all of the grass patches are just tiny Gameboy-sized square grass patches, and there's no way that overworld Pokemon could ever look good in that format. Just a bunch of Pokemon awkwardly crammed into grass patches that are still working from a Gameboy framework that was never made for that kind of thing.

I still think that they don't work perfectly in Sword/Shield, as the grass patches are still relatively small and it still doesn't look very organic. I'm not a big fan of Dragon Quest XI, but I do always look to it when I think of how this should be done. I know that canonically Pokemon have always been in tall grass, but not only is that already broken in Sword/Shield (stronger Pokemon roam outside the grass), but DQXI shows how great it could look if the Pokemon just roamed in a large landscape, instead of crammed into grass patches.

I do agree with the rest of what you said, though. When they first showed footage of the Wild Area in Tree House with the Wingulls awkwardly flying through the air and spinning around in a very laughably robotic manner, I expected all Pokemon to be animated that badly but ended up being pleasantly surprised. There was a lot of work put into the field animations of Pokemon and how they act, and I haven't seen a lot of people talking about it. Instead all I see are people whining about Pokemon animations, but aside from a few cases I just don't see it.

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

jump

Ralizah wrote:

I've gotta say, I kind of hated seeing Pokemon on the map in LGPE since they were huge (thus clogging up the pathways) and just sort of stupidly lumbered around. The Pokemon models running around in the wild in SwSh are a genuine pleasure, though. Their movement is a lot more organic-feeling. They'll sometimes follow you, or even have cute reactions based on what you're doing

I'm not keen on the wild pokes movements, a lot of them have this odd spinning on the spot thing to let turn around especially the bigger ones.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Nahr_Alma

I'm curious about the Dynamax Crystal codes that came with the double pack. Are the codes linked to the Nintendo account, or are they strictly for the current save data?? Just curious if I end up starting a new game at some point, if I would lose the Dynamax Crystals, or if they would be granted again.

Nahr_Alma

Switch Friend Code: SW-3418-3031-5143 | My Nintendo: Morpheus

Grumblevolcano

@Eel I'd guess the online features of Home will be locked behind NSO subscription meanwhile storage features of Home are locked behind Bank subscription.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Eel

I'd be ok with that since I already pay both, but it sounds a bit more realistic to expect it to be separate from the switch online subscription.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

DarkRula

I think both Umbreon and Espeon are locked behind the time, not neccessarily what the sky is looking like in-game. I've evolved four Eevee - two for each - and both times the Umbreon were during the night (around 21:00) and Espeon during the day (some time after 09:00). Can't remember what the sky was actually looking like in-game, but I evolved all of them in the Wild Area (which is the only place I think a day/night cycle actually works).

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

Octane

@jump About that. Some of the bigger Pokemon are impossible to avoid if you're on your bike and they suddenly pop up out of nowhere 10 feet in front of you. I wish the draw distance was better. What's the point of a controllable camera if you can't see past a few feet anyway.

Octane

Octane

@DarkRula I don't believe so. It's midnight here, but it was daytime in the Wild Area just now. I don't know how it works. But it seems random. It's kinda weird if you ask me.

Octane

Eel

At least for me, the time of day seems to be completely controlled by whatever the story needs the time to be.

I kinda assumed it would default back to real world time after the main story.

Edit: oh hey, moving save data from one console to another resets the pokejob timers. Great...

Edit 2: oh my gosh the fossils are nightmare fuel

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Sisilly_G

Octane wrote:

@jump About that. Some of the bigger Pokemon are impossible to avoid if you're on your bike and they suddenly pop up out of nowhere 10 feet in front of you. I wish the draw distance was better. What's the point of a controllable camera if you can't see past a few feet anyway.

Yeah. I wish that the larger Pokémon in the overworld were at least visible from a distance.

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Nahr_Alma

How does one obtain a Charizard Class Taste Rating??

Nahr_Alma

Switch Friend Code: SW-3418-3031-5143 | My Nintendo: Morpheus

BlackTalon2

Home should be free for people with Nin Online.

VIVA CRISTO REY !

DarkRula

@Octane That's why I said I think the day/night cycle works there. As I said, I can't remember what the sky looked like when I evolved them. But the evolutions are tied to the Switch clock and nothing in-game.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

jump

BlackTalon2 wrote:

Home should be free for people with Nin Online.

It should be free for anyone that has Pokémon Bank.

I thought the point of Bank being paid was to keep it future proof but they are still making odd apps to do it.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Sisilly_G

@DarthNocturnal : And I'd be happy to invest in your pitchfork business.

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Maelwolf

So, beat the story. I really liked the gym challenges and the entire feel of that aspect of the campaign. Wasn’t too interested in the side plot as it felt like it came out of nowhere. I am now working on the post game, and I am quite surprised about how much there is to do after the credits role. I didn’t do a lot of camping before, and after trying it a few times, it does a really good job of showcasing the personalities of certain Pokémon.

Overall, I’m still disappointed in the multiplayer, especially raids lacking a simple global queue menu. However, the single player game has been been a lot of fun to play, with some interesting and great looking stages. Even the wild area has grown on me, although in future entries I’d like to see a bigger variety of biomes in it. I don’t know how long the post credit content will take me, but I doubt I’ll be finished with S&S anytime soon.

Maelwolf

Eel

Galenmereth wrote:

Day/night cycle definitely follows the Switch clock once you're done with the story, even in towns.

Oh excellent, thanks for confirming that

On other news, I've been swapping pokemon in and out in preparation for each gym (just beat the fourth), and so far I've not gone too high above the wild Pokemon level. In fact most of my Pokemon seem to be constantly below it, which creates some interesting situations.

Interestingly, Hop seems to lag behind a lot in his levels compared to the wild Pokemon currently available.

Also I caught the cutest little bug type pokemon in a raid, it's bug/ice which is interesting, though it doesn't seem to be learning new moves. I'll just let it hang around to see how long it takes it to evolve.

I'm also taking my sweet time to do stuff and don't binge play too much. It's been good so far.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Haruki_NLI

@Eel That cute little thing is my favourite Gen 8 Pokemon.

Want the catch? It only gets those 4 moves via level up. (So does this games pseudo legendary first form too), and it evolves via Happiness at night.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Buizel

Just had a look at all of the new Pokemon and their base stats.

Is it me or has there been some serious power creep in this series? It now seems that every fully evolved Pokemon - even evolutions of the most common Pokemon - had at least one base stat that is >= 100.

At least 2'8".

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic