Forums

Topic: Pokemon Sword & Shield

Posts 1,961 to 1,980 of 3,072

Octane

What's up with the catch rate in this game by the way? Did they lower it? Because there's several Pokemon I've wasted more than a dozen Poke Balls on, even though it should be more than a 50% chance of catching it if you do the maths.

Octane

Octane

Sneasel, red health. 16 Great Balls and 21 Poke Balls and counting...

Octane

JaxonH

Maybe I should have started Shield rather than Sword, since it seems it would be more beneficial to trade owning that game. Everyone seems to have Sword.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Maelwolf

@Octane It seems a lot of Pokémon over level 30 are really tricky to catch. I have had a lot more success putting them to sleep first.

Maelwolf

Maelwolf

@Galenmereth Doesn’t having to raid for special gigantamax forms increase post-game play? You can still use the ability, you just need to hunt down specific raids to get the special form. That seems pretty in line with most grindy/loot games were post-game is mainly about getting something a little more shiny to show off.

Maelwolf

Maelwolf

@Manah How did you evolve before the first gym?? I’ve fought every trainer on every route, plus caught and fought a lot of wild Pokémon and I don’t seem to be evolving as fast as people claiming to skip them, nor am I breezing past gym battles. I’ve got 6 badges so far and most of my gym battles have ended with me having 1-2 Pokémon left. Maybe I’m missing something to make the game so easy.

Maelwolf

Manah

@Maelwolf
I'm not really sure myself. Until that point I did catch a few extras to evolve later and didn't skip trainers though. Sobble evolved right before the Galar Mine, and my team was level 17-19 when I fought Milo. (I skipped most of route 4's trainers except for the first breeder and one of the kids.)

Edited on by Manah

Monkeido

JaxonH wrote:

So this is par for the course. It’s expected. It’s simply the cap of their talents and abilities as a development studio. And that’s fine.

Do you honestly stand by this? A franchise that earns billions can have their game developed by a studio that apparently has a pretty low cap compared to other studios who make games for franchises that aren't worth as much. I'm pretty sure they have plenty of money to hire some people who can do better. I haven't played Sword and Shield btw and do plan to buy them at some point, I just found it unbelievable you'd think "that's fine".

Monkeido

Maelwolf

@Galenmereth I think it’s a pretty standard way of grinding for something a little more special. I was actually wondering what the purpose of raids were at first, this makes a lot of sense to me. I mean, some people love shiny Pokémon, but they are not easy to get either. If you make things too easy to get, what would be the end game? I think it’s smart to keep things that are cosmetic as the long term goals.

As for your other points:
1. I agree that the outdoor level design is a bit static, it need a bit more flow as it’s way too linear. On the upside, I’ve really enjoyed the gym designs. However, gyms should have some reason to return to so they are not just one-offs.
2. Obviously we have had very different experiences here. I’ve spent time in the wild, plus captured a lot on route, and battled every trainer I could find and I have not been even close to breezing through the game. Often I find myself having to avoid some battles to go heal and then return. Considering the targeted age demographics of these games, I think the difficulty is pretty spot-on.
3. I quite enjoy the wild, especially online. I do wish they had mixed in more biomes to add more colour variations in the landscape though. To each their own.
4-5. Agreed, hopefully they either expand the online aspects of the game via patches, or greatly expand them in the next game.

Maelwolf

Maelwolf

@Snaplocket I don’t know about “extreme” minority, but certainly my experience has been different than a few posters on this site. Not sure what I can say, I can only account for my own time with the game. Clearly from reading reviews and comments under articles my experience isn’t unique, so perhaps it’s simply not so cut and dry.

Maelwolf

Maelwolf

@Galenmereth I’m sorry you feel that way, I’ve been generally impressed with my experience as a whole and have been having a great time. I have some issues here and there, but nothing that has marred my time with the game.

One thing I am curious about, are you sure about the players we see in the wild online? They don’t seem to act in a way I’d expect from bots, and I swear one ran up and joined me in a raid, although I wasn’t paying close attention so it could have been a coincidence and been a different player joining in. I haven’t spent enough time in the wild to really test this.

Maelwolf

Manah

Yeah, NPCs wouldn't teleport all over the place. Feels like they're real players but the game can't even begin to keep up with them. I had many encounters where people circled around me for a few seconds, presumably to start the free food conversation.

Edited on by Manah

Quarth

I'm enjoying the game so far. For me, the Pokémon series never has been at a masterpiece level, but it has served me with good and fun games (though I'm mostly fond of the earlier games because of nostalgia). I went into this expecting exactly that and I'm not disappointed. There's absolutely room for improvement, but I'm having a good time and for me that's enough. I understand that people that expected more are upset and I don't count myself as a hardcore fan, even though I've been here since the start, so maybe my thoughts aren't highly rated among others. So I get that some of you don't like this game.

I have played some 10/10 games this year. This isn't one of those. But it's still good. IMO!!

Edited on by Quarth

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

-Green-

What they did to the fossils this Gen breaks my heart lol. I get the idea behind them but fossil Pokémon are among my most anticipated new mons each Gen, and this time around I can’t say I’m liking it

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Eel

I'm currently in the second cave, and my team is in their early to mid 20's.

The stronger ones are Meowth and my starter, mostly because meowth hasn't left the party at all, and the starter just plain seems to grow up fast.

I haven't been ignoring battles, and I do stay around to catch as many new wild Pokemon as I can find, so it's not like I'm avoiding exp. I have rotated my entire team once (except meowth, he stayed), but just for one route, and only to get a few early route Pokemon to evolve. Although I do always tend to swap one or two Pokemon for new additions every now and then.

From what I've noticed, exp is given in larger quantities to weaker Pokemon, and I think the game tries to balance this so your team can all reach a level balance, instead of just letting your stronger Pokemon go out of control.

For example, the free baby pokemon I got in the nursery and the various low level pokemon all reached the level 20 territory, while Meowth only went up about two or three levels from all that same exp.

So maybe try to have a new weak pokemon or two around to keep your mainstays in check.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Maelwolf

Is there a way to change your bike riding outfit?

Maelwolf

Eel

@Maelwolf a league guy in the wild area let me change it to match the first pokemon in my party.

Similar to the one that does it for tents.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

JaxonH

Pokémon Sword and Shield are breaking records. 1 Day launch total has surpassed the 2 Day launch total for Let’s Go by “a lot”.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BenjiSales/status/1195804574029885440

Just ordered this Galar Region artbook exclusive to the Pokémon Center in Japan

Untitled

And the EU exclusive steelbooks to match the gold one from Target

Untitled

Also, Anyone know what the deal is with the wireless connect icon with “Y” in the lower left corner? Sometimes stickers show up above it. Is there anyway to turn that off or is that just something that remains on the HUD at all times?

@Monkeido
I didn’t say it was ideal, I said it was fine. And... it is. The game is fine. Don’t know what else to say.

@Quarth
Ya, I agree. Pretty much summed up my thoughts.

@Maelwolf
Very much enjoyed reading your well articulated posts.

Btw I love the avatar. Seeing it makes me realize that Pokémon looks really cool

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

the_dude057

Does anyone have a sobble they re willing to trade? ^_^

3DS Friend Code: 3582-8462-4664
3DS games:
-Mario Kart 7
-Kid Icarus
-Resident Evil

3DS Friend Code: 3582-8462-4664 | Nintendo Network ID: the_dude57

Maelwolf

@Eel Sweet! Thanks, I’ll keep an eye out for him.

Maelwolf

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic