Forums

Topic: Pokemon Sword & Shield

Posts 1,721 to 1,740 of 3,072

Octane

@rallydefault The devs confirmed the Exp. Share can't be turned off. And yes, it also existed in Sun and Moon, but it was optional back then. Which is fine, because then people can choose whatever they want.

@jump I normally don't read spoilers, because I'm avoiding anything concerning new stuff, but given the context of you comment, I figured it was fine. 100 doesn't sound too bad if you consider Z-moves, all the Eevee/Pikachu exclusive moves from LGPE, and the legendary-exclusive moves. And really any exclusive move from a Pokemon that doesn't make the dex. If no Pokemon can learn the move, there's no reason to have it in the game. No Hidden Power is a weird choice. But hey, maybe they're changing up the meta big time with this entry. And hopefully it's more balanced. But if nearly every Pokemon is still able to learn Toxic, without being poisonous or having venomous fangs/claws/stinger, then I call BS

Octane

Harmonie

EXP Share is forced? Yikes.

I didn't mind using it in Sun because TBH the SOS wild Pokemon feature made it very frustrating to try to train Pokemon, but for a game without that, I don't mind the grinding. It makes the adventure last a lot longer but also makes you feel more accomplished in the end.

Exceptionally bad move on GF to not make it optional. That's by far one of the worst things they've ever done in the entirety of the series, in fact. =/ It's just a simple option, GF. This is not rocket science. Why do it this way?

Edited on by Harmonie

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

jump

Octane wrote:

But hey, maybe they're changing up the meta big time with this entry. And hopefully it's more balanced. But if nearly every Pokemon is still able to learn Toxic, without being poisonous or having venomous fangs/claws/stinger, then I call BS

It's more like 150 moves than 100 but some of the choices are odd like pursuit which is a common tactical move. I'm glad they are rid of the Z move rubbish though.

Good news it appears they have limited Toxic based on the data dump I've seen, however I'm not sure if it was based on level up learning or TM. The transfer it over via Home to keep the move might be a thing though like those Aerodactyls that knew Double Edge back it the day.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Maelwolf

@Harmonie I agree that you can gauge aspects of a games quality from media posted, especially the closer you get to release. However, what I think becomes the issue is some individual’s failure to recognize the difference between an objective view of quality and a subjective one.

Maelwolf

Octane

@jump Good to know. And yeah, no Pursuit is weird. I wonder why. It wasn't OP or anything, and it was a common move.

Octane

Octane

@Maelwolf All views are subjective. Objective quality doesn't exist.

Octane

Maelwolf

@Octane I don’t agree with that. There are many times a consensus can be reached on quality to a degree that it could be accepted as objective. For example, the DeLorean is considered a poor quality vehicle as it had significant mechanical issues that made it unreliable. There are irrefutable facts to reach this conclusion. Now it would be different to say the DeLorean’s appearance was poor quality, as that would be a statement reliant on an individual’s taste.

Maelwolf

rallydefault

@jump
I disagree. Pointing out people making death threats is not a similar overreaction.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

jump

rallydefault wrote:

jump
I disagree. Pointing out people making death threats is not a similar overreaction.

Maybe, maybe not but you forced it into the conversation for the sake of proving your point to people in the thread. Regardless of people making death threats or not about it having a non-optional experience share in the game is a weird design choice which veteran fans are sceptical about as it goes against how they play the game and grind.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

rallydefault

@jump
Death threats are serious things that should be taken seriously. Implementing exp share in a Pokemon game is not a serious thing that should be taken to the point of threatening to end someone's life.

The social reactions to this game are ridiculous. The game has not even released to the public. People who continue to feed into this ridiculousness and judge the game before even playing it are, in my eyes, the reason why this hobby has long since passed its prime. Like I said, play before you buy, even if it is 10 minutes at a demo kiosk. If you judge before playing at all, I don't respect your opinion.

You can say what you want to say about the game, but the lengths this has gone on social media are appalling. And frankly for you to equate my pointing out of the death threats to the threats themselves is appalling.

rallydefault

jump

rallydefault wrote:

jump
Death threats are serious things that should be taken seriously. Implementing exp share in a Pokemon game is not a serious thing that should be taken to the point of threatening to end someone's life.

The social reactions to this game are ridiculous. The game has not even released to the public. People who continue to feed into this ridiculousness and judge the game before even playing it are, in my eyes, the reason why this hobby has long since passed its prime. Like I said, play before you buy, even if it is 10 minutes at a demo kiosk. If you judge before playing at all, I don't respect your opinion.

You can say what you want to say about the game, but the lengths this has gone on social media are appalling. And frankly for you to equate my pointing out of the death threats to the threats themselves is appalling.

Well obviously people shouldn't be making death threats but again no one is making death threats. If you want to think I'm appalling go for it, however it doesn't really change you are using it as crass way of enforcing you point which ironically is about people's ignorance of a game as you weigh on a topic you admittingly have a limited understanding of.

Tbh playing this game for the 10mins at kiosk would be ineffective reflection of this game, the game is based on building teams and cumulation of experiences. A quick demo would merely show off the more straight forward things like the graphics, the beginning tutorials etc not more of the complexities the veteran fans are looking out for.

Nicolai wrote:

rallydefault

@jump
Thank you - I think your equivocations are appalling.

I stand by all of my points. I don't care what game it is. If you're willing to criticize it before you've even played it, you're a fool.

rallydefault

-Juice-

rallydefault wrote:

@jump

There were no death threats that are known of to the public. MysticUmbreon made the claim that there had been (without citing a single source) and started the whole #thankyougamefreak thing as a publicity stunt to get him more views when the games come out.

TL;DR a Poketuber made allegations that they did not back up, and they can only gain from doing so.

Also, you don’t need to eat fecal matter to know that it tastes like sh- er, well, you get the idea.

Edited on by -Juice-

3DS Friend Code: 0962-9923-0016

iKhan

rallydefault wrote:

Pokemon games are rarely, if ever, available at demo kiosks. So pretty much the only thing we have to go one before we buy is all the promotional material and interviews. And the only thing that has mildly raised an eyebrow from me up until now is the Wild area.

And it isn't like this is a new franchise in a never before seen genre. This is Pokemon. We've played past games, and know what things we like and dislike. I know how I like to play the games, and I know what I like and dislike about turn-based RPG systems. Based on that, I can say with pretty decent confidence that the inability to turn off Exp Share will significantly harm my enjoyment of the game.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

BlackTalon2

@jump yes,

centiskortch definitely and frosmoth and orbeetle, galarian stunfisk, then the boxing octopus, falinks, barraskewda, sandaconda, copperajah , that electric urchin, lots of cool new mono type pokemon

Edited on by BlackTalon2

VIVA CRISTO REY !

I-U

The game is pretty standard it seems aside from the Wild Area. By standard, I could have seen these games getting 9s, but with the Wild Area, I think 8s would be considered generous. It's unfortunate that they felt the need to slap an open area into the game. I've watched a stream; however, the streamer wasn't shiny hunting so I still need information on that before I either buy or don't.

Edited on by I-U

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

Octane

I think it is fair to form an opinion based on pre-release footage. After all, that's what trailers are for. That being said, I'm going to reserve my official verdict until I've played the games. It's just that I've seen things that I didn't like in previous games, that are now made mandatory instead of optional. And considering Pokemon is a very numbers-based game, it's easy to tell what's to like and what isn't if you have experience with the games.

Considering the death threats, if those are real, then yes, I surely condemn them. However I haven't seen any yet, and this thread has been surprisingly calm.

Octane

jump

I remember going to the Sun & Moon launch event, it was loads of fun but one of the things I didn't do there was play the game early as it'd be such a meaningless experience and freed me up to do the other things there. I know how the game works already and it's too limited of an experience for the things I want to find out, besides the fun for me in Pokemon has always been building and investing in my own team.

@BlackTalon2 Yeah, Copperajah is a good looking one. I'm not really sure how an elephant is British though unless there's a part of the game which comments on the British empire's rule of India.

Nicolai wrote:

Harmonie

Pre-release, without even playing the game I am already aware of three things that are huge counts against the game:

The obvious lack of National Dex. EXP Share being required. And (something I learned today from the leaks, so I'll spoiler it) the day/night cycle has been removed.

Given how much RSE removing the day/night cycle soured my opinion of them I already have a substantial feel of how I'll feel about this game and that's sad. I don't know why GF does this nonsense. I love Galar. I love the wolf legendaries. I love Galarian Ponyta, and am excited to see all of the new Pokemon/regional forms that I haven't been spoiled of... But, boy, it's hard to deny how mediocre this game looks. =(

Edited on by Harmonie

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

jump

Harmonie wrote:

Pre-release, without even playing the game I am already aware of three things that are huge counts against the game:

The obvious lack of National Dex. EXP Share being required. And (something I learned today from the leaks, so I'll spoiler it) the day/night cycle has been removed.

I hadn't realised that, how is Eevee gonna evolve into Umbreon or Espeon now?

Nicolai wrote:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic