Forums

Topic: Pokemon Sword & Shield

Posts 1,721 to 1,740 of 2,001

BlackTalon2

so, is soft resetting still in?

VIVA CRISTO REY !

link3710

@BlackTalon2 Yup, autosave exists, but can be turned on and off in the options menu.

link3710

Ruthless4u

Really on the fence on getting this for my kid.

Any idea dea if it has couch co op for up to 4 players? I can’t imagine it being easy to implement for it.

Also why two versions, should I get him both?

Edited on by Ruthless4u

Ruthless4u

Snaplocket

@Ruthless4u I'm pretty sure the game has no co-op. Don't bother getting both versions. If you don't care about paying full-price (and don't own a 3ds) I guess this would be a decent Christmas present but honestly, unless your kids specifically ask for this, there are much better choices. Dragon Quest XI is rated teen but honestly there is nothing in that game that would bother anyone 9 or older and it's all around a much better game then this.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

DarkRula

@Ruthless4u Main series Pokémon games have always required a system and a game per person for any sort of co-op or competitive play. There's no need to be buying both versions as the exclusives between them (which are pretty much a few different creatures in each, and as of these games the typing of the Gym challenges) aren't worth buying both for just casual play.

The games are proving to be another great adventure for new and old fans alike, so I'm sure your kid will enjoy it.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

jump

DarkRula wrote:

The games are proving to be another great adventure for new and old fans alike

The old fans you say?

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

DarkRula

@jump Old fans, yes. Not counting those who are taking the words of Game Freak as some sort of personal insult (which is all I see the controversy over missing 'mon as), most others do seem to want to jump in to the world of Galar.

I've already said Game Freak's incompetency is what's holding the main series back, looking as though the games are about a generation or two behind. As well as the fixation in holding onto the 90s for as long as they can in terms of world design. But the gameplay, the core of what makes the main series so great, is still there. And despite a few... awful graphical decisions, Galar is looking a nice place to be exploring.

Though if Genius Sonority can show Game Freak a thing or two, I'll be happier for it.

DarkRula

darkfenrir

I'm old fans and definitely looking forward to romping through Galar! Slowly playing through DQ11 while waiting for LM3 and this game.

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338

DarthNocturnal

Old fan here. Limited Dex is unfortunate, but also understandable. And we don't know exactly what the future holds, so I'd rather not waste energy on complaining excessively about something that may end up being resolved one way or another.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Quarth

I'm one of those old geezers who grew up with the original Game Boy games and I'm really excited for this!

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

Ralizah

@jump

My first Pokemon game was Pokemon Red on the original Game Boy (when I was 9 or something), and I'm beyond excited for this game.

@Ruthless4u No reason to get two versions. And probably not much in the way of synchronous co-op.

@Snaplocket Let's be honest: unless you're a time traveler or work at GF, you have no idea how good this game will end up being.

He should definitely get DQXI S, though, I agree. Brilliant JRPG.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Gravitron

@Ruthless4u I'm fascinated that you didn't know mainline Pokemon has had two versions for almost 20+ years. Not trying to mean at all I just find it incredible. You are a true unicorn my friend.

That being said, the two game gimmick is pretty unnecessary at this point. Back in the 90s it was an incentive for people to buy a Gameboy link cable and interact by trading or battling because certain Pokemon were exclusive to Red or Blue version. At this point it's just tradition, and one that should probably end in my possibly controversial opinion.

We are a nice community for the most part. I was 6 when the original games came out in the states, it's one of the most important things to me in life. Also I feel like it helps young children learn reading skills. For example Blastoise (a Turtoise that Blasts water) or Cubone (an animal Cub that carries a Bone) most pokemon names are simple but clever plays on words and they work very hard to make them equally clever in many languages. Sorry for the book just wanted to give you as much context as possible because you seem very new to Pokemon games.

Edited on by Gravitron

Gravitron

jump

DarkRula wrote:

jump Old fans, yes. Not counting those who are taking the words of Game Freak as some sort of personal insult (which is all I see the controversy over missing 'mon as), most others do seem to want to jump in to the world of Galar.

I've already said Game Freak's incompetency is what's holding the main series back, looking as though the games are about a generation or two behind. As well as the fixation in holding onto the 90s for as long as they can in terms of world design. But the gameplay, the core of what makes the main series so great, is still there. And despite a few... awful graphical decisions, Galar is looking a nice place to be exploring.

Though if Genius Sonority can show Game Freak a thing or two, I'll be happier for it.

That's not really it though, it's the rebooting of the metagame it will cause as well as broken promises that Pokémon Bank paid subscription was for future proofing the games. The excuse from Gamefreak being that they needed to do this due to all of the new animations and models despite the game still using models and animations from 2 gens ago on the 3DS was clear bs and annoyed people. So the hardcore fanbase have valid points as it messes up their game who see it more than a basic collect badges and beat the champion game.

In any case I'm just pointing out it's not actually universal excitement from all fans as this game has had the biggest backlash from fans.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Gravitron

@jump you cant really say backlash when it isn't even out yet. Also you might want to qualify that with "biggest backlash from a mainline game" or something along those lines, because it's hard for me to believe that Sword and Shield will have as much complaints as the Let's Go games. Also Ultra Sun and Moon were an unplayable mess that ran at half speed when you bought a digital version on a New 3DS XL. So those will always be the worst games in the series for me personally because I literally couldn't even play it.

Edited on by Gravitron

Gravitron

jump

Gravitron wrote:

@jump you cant really say backlash when it isn't even out yet. Also you might want to qualify that with "biggest backlash from a mainline game" or something along those lines, because it's hard for me to believe that Sword and Shield will have as much complaints as the Let's Go games. Also Ultra Sun and Moon were an unplayable mess that ran at half speed when you bought a digital version on a New 3DS XL. So those will always be the worst games in the series for me personally because I literally couldn't even play it.

Backlash is precise, it means a negative reaction by a number of people which fits this perfectly. I think you're thinking of critical reception rather than anticipation.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Ralizah

jump wrote:

In any case I'm just pointing out it's not actually universal excitement from all fans

Understatement of the year right there.

Ralizah

link3710

I'm excited to see Nuzleaf and Bisharp return. Still waiting on... basically all the Pokemon I wrote down at the start of this I wanted to see back. Alolan Marowak, Shinx, Alolan and Regular Sandshrew, Hawlucha, Absol, Oddish, Cranidos, Houndour, Clauncher, Joltik were the lines I wanted above all else, and we've only had Hawlucha and Joltik confirmed so far.

link3710

Gravitron

@link3710 I just my sweet sweet boy Tropius back. I'm assuming they just forgot he exists when Sun and Moon were being developed. #JusticeForTropius

Gravitron

DarkRula

@jump First off, most, I said. Never was I claiming it was universal excitement. Second, resetting the metagame is a valid point, except this is probably going to be the freshest such a metagame will be in forever, as no longer will the same strategies be in use across multiple tournaments.

I never bought their excuse for the reason behind the 'mon cut either, but it's their choice, and I've accepted that. Yes, other fans can raise points as to why they want every creature in the game and why the comments Game Freak have given were total bunk, but at what point does it cross the line from meerly raising those objections to what I called it - taking it as a personal insult?

DarkRula

rallydefault

Yea, I was in middle school when Pokémon fever first gripped the U.S. Blue and Red came out, the tv show was on... that was a good time. But total confession: I haven't played a SINGLE Pokémon game to any real length since Blue/Red. I picked up X or Y (can't even remember) for my 3DS but barely played past the second town or something like that.

I don't know. I'm gonna give Sword a try. We'll see what happens. Maybe I really get into it once again, maybe not.

rallydefault

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic