Forums

Topic: Pokemon Sword & Shield

Posts 1,681 to 1,700 of 2,163

Gravitron

@Anti-Matter I really like that they haven't showed anything. I would love to be genuinely surprised when I play the game for the first time.

Gravitron

Galenmereth

I concur. I've tried to not follow the media around this too much, but even what I've seen, I feel like they've been pretty careful. I appreciate that a lot.

Galenmereth

kkslider5552000

It would be mildly hilarious if this is the best Pokemon game in ages after like 4 months of consistently stupid PR and marketing.

NB, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

Gravitron

@kkslider5552000 I have extremely high expectations for this one. They did take quite a while on it so I'm very optimistic.

Gravitron

Snaplocket

To everyone highlighting the positive previews. Pokemon Let's Go got just as much positivity in both previews and reviews. Just saying.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

Justifier

@Snaplocket
And it wasn't bad game.

Soldiers does not judge. Soldiers delivers judgement.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0456-5973-9496 | 3DS Friend Code: 0533-4480-5285 | Nintendo Network ID: Justifier

Snaplocket

@Justifier "It wasn't a bad game," is not same thing as saying, "it was a good game." Pokemon Let's Go aside from a few improvements, was average at best. Sonic Forces is another game that's "not bad," (and got mostly positive previews) but it sure as heck isn't good either.

In all seriousness, there are many, MANY games that are average or just plain bad that got mostly if not entirely positive previews. Previews are not the same as reviews.

Edited on by Snaplocket

Justifier

@Snaplocket
True, but it was pokemon game. Last time when pokemon game was better than "not bad" was gen 5. I love pokemon, but they're just not very good games. Not very good graphics, performance, story, things that make games. I mean, gamefreak is not very good making games, writing stories, all that.

Still will buy this, and play it to death.

Soldiers does not judge. Soldiers delivers judgement.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0456-5973-9496 | 3DS Friend Code: 0533-4480-5285 | Nintendo Network ID: Justifier

Snaplocket

@Justifier Gen VI and Gen VII were very good games for 3DS. I guess our opinions will just have to differ here. I don't think Game Freak is a bad developer. They've put out some great stuff (Harmoknight and Drill Dozer come to mind), but they just don't have the manpower for HD console/handheld develpment. They mentioned in an interview that Gen VIII was meant to be a handheld game and that's exactly what it feels like.

A game made for much weaker hardware that barely even tries to take advantage of the console it's on.

PS: I enjoyed Gen VI far more then I ever enjoyed Gen V.

Edited on by Snaplocket

link3710

Thank freaking goodness the tutorials are cut back
They were insufferable for the last two gens, especially SuMo.

link3710

-Green-

XYs tutorials weren’t that bad iirc. SM/USUM were just made disgustingly bad in that area because of the forced and unskippable cutscenes and the mandatory school segment

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

link3710

@-Green- Oh yeah, XY and ORAS were slow to start but quite bareable. SuMo is when they completely shot themselves in the foot, which is weird considering you'd assume more people would be new for XY than SuMo on the same system.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

Eel

They were probably just trying to be like yokai watch and be more about the story.

You even had your very own sassy ghost sidekick.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

link3710

@StableInvadeel Honestly, a pretty good theory. I hadn't even thought about it. I'm fine with Pokemon being more about story (Colosseum / XD / PMD:Explorers all show how amazing that can be.), but it still needs to be paced well and be... actually interesting. Like, I feel like if Ultra Beasts had played a far bigger role throughout the SuMo story instead of just that one moment midgame and at the end, it could have been fascinating. And things like adding dialogue within story battles is another great way to expand things without breaking the pace.

link3710

Ralizah

@kkslider5552000 We'll have to see if there's a decent post-game, difficulty curve, etc. but the more open level design in the Wild Area and charming character animations already put this gen pretty high up on my list.

Ralizah

-Green-

Pokémon is too simple and cowardly to do a really good story. You can do a great story with happy go lucky characters and happy/simple settings, but they require some semblance of risk or backbone behind them. At best you’ll end up with S/M’s decent/competent family drama or B/W’s strange attempt on morality.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

EOTW

I think my biggest issue with S/M's story was the utter lack of the player trainer's emotion. Older games you couldn't see the trainer's face, so it wasn't a problem. But in S/M during even the climax of the story your trainer is just like . It really broke immersion for me, and contributed to the game feeling like your trainer is just along for the ride in someone else's story. I hope we see something better from Sw/Sh.

3DS FC: 3222-5568-3578
NNID: EOTW93
NX HYPE

link3710

@-Green- Honestly BW was sooooo close to being exactly what a Pokemon story should be if it had been a little less heavy handed. It doesn't have to be ground breaking or anything, just entertaining.

link3710

Silly_G

Gravitron wrote:

I would love to see Tropius make it in. Tropius is far and above my favorite 1 stage pokemon.

Still baffled that we didn't get Alolan Tropius (Mango/Pineapple form?), hula-skirt Jynx, and gelato Vanilluxe. The regional form concept was wasted considering how few of them there were (and they all happened to be from Gen I).

Gravitron wrote:

I think they could fix the difficulty problem by simply adding difficulty settings that would raise Pokemon levels a certain percentage. And give them better moves. They do it in fan games I don't think it's too much to ask. This is one of the only ways I can think of doing it without alienating kids or skilled gamers.

Precisely. They experimented with the concept in Gen V I believe (perhaps with Black 2/White 2), but the Easy and Hard difficulty modes had to be unlocked post-game (both versions holding either one of the difficulty modes hostage) and then transferred wirelessly to another console with a separate copy of either game. The whole process was so comically convoluted that one ponders why the hell they had even bothered pouring resources into it at all if they weren't going to implement it properly.

I believe that I may have played White Version 2 in Hard mode (don't quote me on that though, it's been close to a decade), but I recall that the difficulty spikes quite significantly in the Gen V post-game anyway, perhaps more so than any other generation to date.

An affiliate link to a Link in need is an affiliate Link indeed.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3134-0847 | Nintendo Network ID: sillygostly

Snaplocket

@-Green- There exist good "happy-go-lucky" stories. Examples include: Pretty much all the Mario RPGs, the HTTYD series, roughly half the Pixar movies, Undertale (Pacifist Route), the Sonic Genesis games (for what little there is), Pokemon Origins OVAs, Gravity Falls, Kid Icarus Uprising and many other examples I haven't included.

Dark elements can make a story good if done right but ultimately, it's competent writing and direction that will seal the deal on a good story.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic