Forums

Topic: Pokemon Sword & Shield

Posts 1,401 to 1,420 of 3,072

Octane

@StableInvadeel Now it works, right? Double posted, so I copied my last reply, didn't work out too well I see.

Octane

Octane

@Snaplocket Well, that's the point. Maybe we have a different definition of ''evil'', but in Pokemon is definitely treated as the broad sense of the word. A synonym to malicious, sinister or cruel.

I mean, look at these in-game descriptions, quite fitting if you ask me:
Sharpedo: ''It pursues its prey at speeds of 75 mph and finishes them off with fangs that can crush iron. It is known as the bully of the sea.''
Honchkrow: ''If its Murkrow cronies fail to catch food for it, or if it feels they have betrayed it, it will hunt them down wherever they are and punish them.''

Octane

link3710

@Snaplocket I mean, dark types have been shown to be much more vicious in basically anything with actual story other than the anime. Pokemon Special for example has a ton (Houndoom killing a person comes to mind) and Mystery Dungeon Time/Darkness/Sky has it's portrayal of Darkrai as outright evil. But I think it's also more of a loose term with 'mean' or 'vicious' being a better translation than the direct 'evil'.

link3710

-Green-

That’s the thing about Pokémon. There’s a weird divide between what their descriptions say and how Pokemon are actually treated and viewed by Gamefreak. Darkrai for example is basically the embodiment of the Dark Type, but is still treated as a Pokémon who is merely misunderstood. Yveltal is a beacon of Death but it does not do what it does with a malicious intent.

For a more recent example, James Turner himself said that basically the central design principle behind a Pokémon is for them to still be able to be your friends

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

-Green-

Who are you addressing that towards Invadeel?

link3710

@-Green- Well, I'm pretty sure Pokedex entries are canonically written by 10 year old kids based on what they see and hear, so they aren't exactly meant to be super accurate. More representative of what people say about Pokemon then what they are actually like.

link3710

link3710

@Snaplocket Yeah, that was part of the Ruby and Sapphire arc, there were a couple of deaths in that one. And agreed, that's why I said Evil wasn't a good translation.

link3710

Heavyarms55

Look regardless of what your opinion is, the translation of 悪 "あく" "aku" is evil or bad. That's just a fact. It's fair to say however that naming the type that isn't reflective of how the Pokemon of that type tend to be portrayed.

Honestly a lot of ghost type Pokemon have been suggested as being far worse than the type actually named evil type. Shedinja eats your souls if you look in the hole on its back, Drifloon abducts children, and Bannette is a possessed toy that was thrown away by its owner that comes back for revenge.

Pokemon has always stuck sketchy surprisingly dark story elements in behind its cute surface. I mean XY heavily implied that the Pokemon world is like post "totally-not-nuclear" apocalypse and there have been a lot of references going back to red and blue of war in the Pokemon world with Pokemon actually being living weapons. In the recent past too - Lt. Surge is supposedly a combat veteran who brought his Pokemon into battle!

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

link3710

@Snaplocket Yeah well... better get it out of my system now. If they go full Alola during the next reveal, I'll be going underground from Pokemon news til launch. I want the starter evos to be a surprise.

link3710

-Green-

I think they’ll reveal the middle stage evos and maybe some bad guys or one or two new Pokémon. Their entire strategy up to this point has been rather tight lipped. I very much doubt they’ll go the Gen 7 route and start spoiling everything

link3710

@-Green- Yeah, I'm hoping as much. I'll have a friend tell me how it goes, but with it only a month out I'm not taking chances that we won't get a massive dump of Pokemon.

link3710

Heavyarms55

I feel like we know plenty about the games already. People got used to getting piles of info before Pokemon actually comes out, but what other game series has that much info dumped ahead of time? On purpose anyway.

I would like another trailer however. Not one with a lot of major reveals, but just showing off some battling or something.

I wonder if they are gonna release a demo for Sw/Sh like that did for ORAS. Remember that demo where you got Ash Greninja? That kind of thing would be kinda neat, let us run around one town and do a little spin off story - then get some small reward we can transfer to the main game.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

DarkRula

Sun and Moon's demo was actually quite nice to play. And Ash-Greninja was a nice bonus, even if I never transfered it over. If there was a demo for Sword and Shield, I'd want it to take place in the town south of the wild area and the lakes of the wild area. Perhaps with a way to jump to somewhere not connected to either like in the Sun and Moon demo.

If one was to be announced today,, I feel we might see it tomorrow. Maybe at the end of the month, but I doubt we'll see a release directly after the announcement.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

-Green-

I doubt they’ll do a demo,unless it’s on or after launch day. Every demo they’ve done up this point has gotten datamined and spoiler huge amounts of content in the games

Edited on by -Green-

Sisilly_G

@-Green- : It is more likely that they will issue a demo post-release like they had with Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee once the initial momentum wears off. They have already produced a demo for conventions, so they will probably release a similar (if not identical) version for public use.

It's funny that Game Freak, in their infinite wisdom, chose Viridian Forest, by far the worst performing area in the Let's Go games, to spruik the game to prospective buyers.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Octane

So, let's see...

Gen 1 pandering with gen 1 only Gigantimax forms? Check.
Charizard pandering with another form for Charizard? Check.
Stupid LGPE bonus exclusive forms? Check.
Stupid pre-order exclusive form? Check.

TBH, this is the least excited I've been for a Pokemon trailer ever I think.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic