Forums

Topic: Pokemon Sword & Shield

Posts 1,381 to 1,400 of 3,072

link3710

@Anti-Matter Oh hey, good to see you.

I'm gonna go with Grookey as a grass/rock Cricket player, Scorbunny as a fire/flying Association Football player, and Sobble as a water/fighting Rugby player.

link3710

jump

Snaplocket wrote:

darkswabber Actually Psychic was meant to be weak to poison in Gen I (it's a common fear) but it was strong against it due to a coding error. I wonder why that wasn't fixed.

The was an interview years ago with one of the developers saying Psychic are strong against Poison on purpose as it's meant to be mind over a matter.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

-Green-

I genuinely wonder how seriously Gamefreak takes their typings and the set advantages/disadvantages. Sometimes it feels like they’ll just come up with whatever reason to justify types or advantages

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

darkswabber

@-Green- most type advantages were creates over 20 years ago. After that they only added 3 types, 2 of which also about 20 years ago, the third one almost 7 years ago. They don’t come up with advantages and disadvantages every game. And fairy type was only created because dragon type was way too overpowered.

Don’t complain about something as if it’s a current problem even though it has been like that since day 1 with the most recent change being 7 years old. 😜

darkswabber

Twitter:

-Green-

You misunderstood. I wasn’t talking at all about that. I was talking about how I wonder how serious Gamefreak is about the typing they give Pokémon or their logic behind certain type advantages and disadvantages.

darkswabber

@-Green- oh my bad. I’d like to recommend you a awesome video series explaining the reasoning behind pokemon typings which also goes over the ones not making any sense. The youtuber is called “lockstin & gnogging” and he just finished the series and started one on why pokemon moves are a certain type.
I binged it and a lot started to make sense. He’s also very honest and can’t explain every type choice so he won’t make a reason up for the sake of it (although he does make assumptions in unexplainable cases).

darkswabber

Twitter:

-Green-

Do you all remember all those Alchemy theories people were coming up with when Sun and Moon where being advertised?

Tyranexx

Tbh until they added Fairy, I did feel like the game needed a sort of "light" type to counterbalance Dark. Fairy kind of was to answer to what I wanted there.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Octane

@Tyranexx It always existed: Fighting.

TBH, the English names for the types are kinda stupid. Dark type is called 'evil' in Japanese, hence why most of the dark type moves focus on unfair fighting techniques, like biting, sucker punch, pursuit, beat up, thief, etc. That's why fighting type is super-effective against dark, because it represents 'fair' and 'respectful' fighting techniques. And it's probably the reason why bug is super-effective against dark as well; because bugs are often represented as superheroes in Japanese culture; the Kamen Raider series for example.

Octane

Tyranexx

@Octane I always did equate Dark types as exhibiting bad/unfair behavior, not so much that they were evil; not all of them, such as Absol, even seem evil in my book. Thanks for the interesting tidbit! Though I wouldn't call a couple of Fighting moves "fair" in some formats either. XD

In hindsight, I don't think referring to Dark and Fairy as natural opposites in my previous post was technically correct. Some of my thinking back in the day for a "light" type of sorts also came from the fact that some light-based moves (IE Moonlight) didn't quite fit with their designated type at the time. Many Pokemon that are now Fairy type vs. Normal also make perfect sense IMO.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

Octane

@Snaplocket Or they just wanted to nerf psychic types. Still, evil thoughts can be bad for the mind, so it still makes sense that way. It's literally called ''evil'' in Japanese, so I'm not making stuff up.

Octane

Gravitron

@Octane I was saying specifically to me because that was a time in my life where I didnt realize they were making a third gen til I saw it on store shelves. It was my short lived "too cool for pokemon" phase. The Pokemon I saw from that gen were Groudon and Kyogre.

I will say I like Blaziken a lot more now that they have 3D models. He just looked kinda funky in Ruby

Gravitron

Octane

@Gravitron I've never seen it as a ''lady chicken''. Maybe because the official artwork was heavily featured (and also in the manual I believe). The older games' sprites could be a bit misleading at times, but the official art helps with that.

@Snaplocket Yes, it's called あく(aku) in Japanese, literally ''evil''.

Octane

link3710

Snaplocket wrote:

"Evil" is a little too on-the-nose for my liking. Also it doesn't explain why it would be strong against psychic. Dark beating physic makes sense because it's a common fear.

@Snaplocket Well, evildoers thrive on making people scared, right? And a lot of dark type moves (Feint Attack (Sneak Attack), Payback (Retribution), Punishment, Sucker Punch (Surprise Attack) are the kinds of things that would scare people, not to mention the appearance of most dark types being vicious looking.

link3710

-Green-

Pokémon typings are rather broad and can commonly overlap at times. Evil being a name for Pokémon type is rather unfitting. Especially when Pokemon are presented overall as being normal creatures for their world who at their worst are commonly misunderstood or simply living their lives.

Tyranexx

I always thought Blaziken was pretty cool, but I think a lot of that (besides Fire/Fighting being a novelty at the time until GF overused it in the next couple of gens) had to do with its anime appearance during the Master Quest Johto arc. That match of Blaziken vs. Charizard was legendary to a young Tyranexx.

link3710

I'll... probably avoid this site for the next few days as they post spoilers on the front page then. I've seen enough Pokemon designs at this point, all I want to know is information about the actual game... but I assume this will just be starter evos and a bunch more Pokemon with 'features' being lightly mentioned instead of explained per usual.

link3710

Octane

@Snaplocket Most of the classifications reflect it:
Shiftry: Wicked Pokemon
Sharpedo: Brutal Pokemon
Crawdaunt: Rogue Pokemon
Liepard: Cruel Pokemon
Krookodile: Intimidation Pokemon
Scrafty: Hoodlum Pokemon, etc.

Most of them share a a theme of malice, evil, sinister, or ''darkness''. It has little to to with ''darkness'' in the sense of nocturnal, or absence of light. Though, most criminal gangs for example (at least in cartoons) operate during nighttime, so it's no coincidence that quite a lot of dark types are nocturnal as well.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic