Forums

Topic: Pokemon Sword & Shield

Posts 1,181 to 1,200 of 1,322

Tyranexx

I always loved the fish Pokemon animations in desert environments. I always just assumed they were somehow swimming in the air. XD

Video Corner: How SM3DW Actually Started (language)
Currently playing: Dragon Quest IV (DS), SteamWorld Heist (Wii U)

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

Octane

Venus_Adept wrote:

Interesting discussion about Hitmontop.
Let me introduce a new one:
I would like to know if Levitating Steelix is canon in the games.

It isn't, and it shouldn't be levitating.

Octane

iKhan

This guy conceptualized a better Pokemon game than Gamefreak has made in decades.

Amazing what you can do when you actually try to think what a series is about and match the gameplay experience to that...

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Heavyarms55

Anyone can talk the talk. There are dozens of spectacular ideas for Pokemon games around. Everyone and their mother, uncle, cousin, sister and ex-wife has their own idealized Pokemon game.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me

DarthNocturnal

Pokemon already knows what it is and it's gameplay experience is based on that... I swear I'm playing a completely different franchise from everyone else.

Some of those ideas were interesting (I agree with getting rid of IVs), but some... I dunno. Why create three versions when you could just work in a “starter + starting area“ selection mechanic into the default two versions (or heaven forbid, we just make one version)?

Having an ultra high level area you can go to only to get curbstomped also seems pointless. You'll get into one fight, pull an immediate legal u-turn, and won't come back for a looooong time.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Heavyarms55

@DarthNocturnal I have a love hate relationship with IVs because I like the idea but not the execution. In story, combined with natures, it's a nice aspect to give individual members of the same species more variety in their stats, just like how in the real world some people are smarter, stronger or faster. But in competitive play you need to be able to max everything out and you need to be able to do so without bending over backwards in breeding or grinding for super rare items that can only be used at level 100.

If it were up to me, I'd make hyper training something that can be done easily in the post game for just a small cost per stat and drop the level 100 requirement entirely. That way you only have to breed Pokemon for moves and nature - which is very very easy.

Feel free to add me

Knuckles-Fajita

On topic of using the 3DS engine...it shouldn't be as hard as say, moving an engine from PS4 as both Switch and 3DS use ARM architectures. That alone is one hurdle of how instructions are read cleared. Sure it won't be a clean port but the first limitation is already passed.

As for flying Steelix...I mean...Wailord can fly even by our own laws of physics and Kyogre can canonically fly too.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Tsurii

Breeding, and breeding for 5*31 IVs (which is all you'll ever need), was almost trivially easy in Sun and Moon (and the Ultra games) but since everyone and their grandma's dead pet goose hates having stories in RPGs, apparently, few people actually bothered looking into the post-game stuff in Gen 7.
I'll agree that the hyper training stipulations need to go, or at the very least get lowered. You NEVER need a Pokémon at lvl 100. You just don't. I assume they tried to give you some incentive to achieve that goal with your favorite Pokémon, but it fell flat.

IVs, and bottle caps in their current integration, can stay tho. IVs aren't even necessary to shoot for in normal playthroughs, but they can make each individual run feel a little more unique with Pokémon varying in what they can do well (that stuff can change a fair bit, too, in a lot of cases) and they help Gamefreak make certain battles harder or easier (again Gen 7, Gen 5, Cynthia)
Bottle caps in general are a great idea. You can boost stats on shinies, on legendaries and other Pokémon you can't breed and unique event Pokémon with moves they wouldn't be able to learn otherwise whatsoever. Just that lvl 100 hurdle is stupid. That is the only change they need to do to fix the entirety of that stuff. Everything else is fine.

I don't get why people continue to go on about how half of the series' mechanics are pointless or convoluted when all of it is not necessary at all for what most of you want to do in these games. Hell, I feel like half the users on here are playing the wrong games anyway, what with that idiotic notion about the games having "too much Story" I mentioned above.

Edited on by Tsurii

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter

-Green-

Having replayed USUM like 4 or 5 times, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a story that so genuinely sucks the joy out of a Pokémon game like this one. Its terribly paced, so I can definitely see why people have grievances with the story. Regardless Pokemon stories are generally just terrible/mediocre as heck, so probably best not to continue forcing it into everyone’s face.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Buizel

@-Green- absolutely agree. I've played through Sun in its entirety only once and going back is unbearable due to the lengthy dialogue, amounting to what is ultimately an underwhelming story.

I don't mind hefty dialogue on occasion (heck, I'm loving Persona 4 at the moment), but in the right context. In Pokemon? I'd rather be left to my own devices and not have a cutscene thrown my way every few minutes, or my route blocked by Pokemon X doing pointless thing Y.

Edited on by Buizel

Buizel

DarthNocturnal

@Heavyarms55

They've made a lot of these formerly hidden things a lot more approachable. IVs in particular last gen. But there's no telling if that (or something like it) will persist in Sword and Shield.

If they continue with something like Hyper Training, then I guess I wouldn't mind. I don't get into competitive anyway, but sometimes it's fun to engineer a team just for the heck of it (I liked Super Training in X/Y for EVs).

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

Ralizah

I like good stories in RPGs, Pokemon included. I really like the story in B/W. SuMo interrupts the flow of the gameplay every couple of minutes, though. It's miserable.

Ralizah

Heavyarms55

@DarthNocturnal That's true, we don't know if they'll keep it. My hope is that they further improve it. Most notably ditching the level 100 requirement and instead just requiring full EV training first - and making the bottle cap items either easier to obtain, or ditching them entirely and just paying with BP or something like that.

Feel free to add me

-Green-

No limited item shenanigans pls. Optimizing/training your Pokémon should be effective and consistently accessible. Gamefreak has a dumb habit of just locking things behinds even more RNG. It’s tedious and boring. I’m only okay with it for things such as shinies were it is entirely optional and has basically no objective impact on the quality and ability of your Pokémon.

Snaplocket

Even B/W's story was just okay overall. To be fair, both Gens VI and VII has good moments but the stories were average at very best. No joke, I think Gen VI is way better almost entirely because the cutscenes are nowhere near as frequent or drawn out.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

iKhan

DarthNocturnal wrote:

Pokemon already knows what it is and it's gameplay experience is based on that... I swear I'm playing a completely different franchise from everyone else.

Then please fill me in on what it is, because I feel like there are so many conflicting mechanics at play.

It definitely doesn't feel like my adventure since my agency is being stripped from me with lots of cutscenes, zero non-linearity, and zero moments where you aren't told exactly what to do next. The game doesn't really give me any reason to care about my "friendly rivals", the villain encounters are scripted events in the games progression, and the cover legendaries are mandatory to catch and part of the story. So I definitely don't ever feel like I'm playing as myself.

At the same time, I'm definitely not playing as another person. The game allows me to name my character and customize their look. The central objective I head out for is to "prove myself" by fighting all the gyms (not a very engaging motivation), and my character has pretty little backstory. I LOVE JRPGs. I love hearing about the stories and the characters they bring. And um...I hate to break it to you...but Pokemon isn't winning awards in any of those categories. Colosseum is the only game that has gotten close to doing this angle right.

The game wants me to care and love my Pokemon, but most of my Pokemon just waste their time sitting in a box. Furthermore, the game doesn't give me much juxtaposition of what NOT caring for my Pokemon looks like, so comparatively, the player doesn't really feel super special given that they are still fighting.

I think the only core aesthetics Pokemon actually completely reinforces as far as I can tell are the collection part, and the battle system itself. And now the DexGate is screwing with the former part too.

It even applies to some microscopic mechanics. Ignoring the battle system purpose of berries for a moment, they really make potions, antidotes, and especially the theoretically rare PP restoring items completely worthless by the point of a couple of gyms when you can just plant and harvest infinite berries.

If Pokemon wants to be all about a battle system, just make a battle simulator. I'd happily buy that.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

-Green-

I should really get around to replaying BW, it’s been a long time. Replayed BW2 recently but not the og ones for some reason

BlueSquid

I'm pretty optimistic for this particular title. Watching all the trailers and footage makes me excited. The last Pokemon game I played was Ultra Sun and while it was fun I think it was lacking in some areas, still a good title though!
This is a neat occasion where we can have a main Pokemon game on a home console.
Coop looks very interesting too, can't wait to try it out!

BlueSquid

DarthNocturnal

@iKhan

I'm really not sure what to say. I don't see any “conflicting mechanics“. I just don't. That isn't to say I'm opposed to some new ideas for story, progression, or whatever. But I'm not expecting “Pokemon as made by Obsidian“.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic