Forums

Topic: Paper Mario: The Origami King

Posts 201 to 220 of 637

Anti-Matter

@Tyranexx
The Summon things from previous series were interesting to see.
I saw Battery = Ramuh, Turnip = Odin with Turnip slices as Zantetsuken, Jack hammer = Titan, Teapot = Leviathan, etc.

Anti-Matter

Tyranexx

@Anti-Matter Not to mention they were fun to summon to begin with! Using a Thing card in Color Splash almost felt like cheating in most scenarios. XD

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

NotTelevision

I’ve made it through about the first half of TTYD and I’d put it up there with the best JRPGs I’ve played. It’s the perfect balance between reverence and irreverence for the source material and genre. The battles also somehow never feel grindy or tedious, because there is a timing and “gamey” element to them. It also features a subplot where a supercomputer falls in love with Princess Peach.

Not sure if the series can reach the heights of this entry, but I’m looking forward to it. The battle system of Oragami King looks pretty unique, so I have a bit of confidence in Nintendo making that aspect fun.

NotTelevision

I-U

I think the only two definite positives I have for this game are the visuals in terms of graphics, not design, and I'm a fan of King Olly's branding which can be seen on his minions. More and more, I've become a fan of symbols like that in games in general. Everything else about this game I either don't have clarity on or don't like. Even though this is still far off from the direction of the first two Paper Mario games, if battles have a clear purpose throughout the game, I'll move from being interested to being tempted to buy the game.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

JaxonH

@NotTelevision
I especially like how the battle system for bosses has an entirely unique set of mechanics and approach.

Instead of you being in the center with enemies around you, with you maniplulating the rings and opposing strips to strategically align them, for bosses they are in the center, with you strategically making your way to them on an obstacle course-like ring board. It’s brilliant.

Also, they’ve adopted the audience of Thousand Year Door but expanded on it to offer a superior system, where Toads you find exploring in the world actually build up the audience around you, which is the perfect incentive to find toads because they actually do something meaningful. It’s a way of “leveling up” outside of battle. They can throw stuff at your enemies and do damage, and, your partner can attack sometimes as well, spicing things up even more. I also like how normal attacks are permanent, but better attacks can be equipped that aren’t one time use, but simply have a weapon durability.

It’s a really great direction they’ve gone in here.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ardisan

There looks like a lot of heart was put into this games visuals, gameplay, and plot. This might be my hyped game for this year (Kinda the only tbh, not much games coming out).

I barely forum.

JaxonH

It certainly has the potential to be one of the best Switch games of the year, perhaps even of the generation. Everything about this game (well, almost everything) looks like a complete blowout. Absolute banger. This is the first Paper Mario title I’ve ever gone into with a massive amount of hype. I wasn’t really into gaming back when the older entries released. When Sticker Star dropped my brother was SUPER hyped, as a long time fan. I had just started dabbling with the 3DS around that time. He kept telling me how amazing the series was. He ended up both liking and hating that game. Color splash got me reasonably excited but, I think being in the last year of the Wii U put a damper on it. Same for Star Fox Zero and Zelda Twilight Princess.

This game though, it’s on another level. It looks like it has tons of heart and soul put into it.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH I think the end of the Wii U put a damper on all the Wii U games released after Mario Maker (except BotW but if that wasn't released on Switch at the same time I think it too would've been affected), XCX being the most affected.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NotTelevision

@JaxonH That’s a good call they made with the battle system. The trailer discussed lining up enemies which brings an interesting puzzle element to the combat. With different enemy types being immune to certain attacks, there could be some interesting curveballs thrown in there to test your skills. I guess in the latest entries a lot of fans were dissatisfied with the leveling up system. Not sure how this one is going to incentivize battling as opposed to just running away from encounters.

It is cool that they are bringing the audience back. I wonder if they are going to throw stuff at you if you screw up. There is a kind of Looney Tunes slapstick element with stage backdrops and anvils falling on you that I like with TTYD. We’ll see if they bring any that randomness to this game.

It looks like they are emphasizing exploration and adventuring with this entry, which is definitely a strength.

NotTelevision

JaxonH

@NotTelevision
I really hope battles are properly incentivised, preferably to level up HP, but I have a feeling that wont be the case. I saw Hearts in the gameplay trailers while exploring which I assume is the HP upgrades of 5HP per heart.

I think if they do properly incentivise, it will be a masterpiece title. I think that if they don't, it'll still be an amazing game and could still potentially be one of the best on Switch, but it'll need to hit all the other areas on point perfectly. Assuming there is no proper incentive (there is coins, for sure, and there are badges, and you can buy time, so there's at least some usefulness, but if that's the case, I'll only battle if I feel the need. And that's fine. I can approach it as an adventure game where I explore, only battling when it's necessary to progress or an enemy chases you down and it's for your survival/progression. That's not necessarily the end of the world. But I do think having proper incentive would be that X factor that could elevate it to potential generational masterpiece territory.

MarkL1987

I found out from Spawn Wave's news video this morning that this game is going to be open world. I'm assuming that open world means being able to explore the different areas in any order

Favorite Switch games:
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Super Mario Odyssey
Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
Friend code: SW-4428-8318-9398

Snatcher

I will get this game but i'm putting it of for A hat in time.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Magician

Nines across the board from Famitsu, for a score of 36/40.

Lookin' good.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Octane

@Magician So that's better than TTYD, and on par with Sticker Star according to Famitsu!

Octane

Magician

@Octane

I know, I know, it's Famitsu. Not a whole lot of credibility there.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

BruceCM

Eh, I like what I've seen so far enough, going to wait to play it now ....

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

DenDen

Sounds ok, can’t wait for other reviews.

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

rallydefault

I'm definitely getting it, even if only to have something to break up WoW Classic this summer lol

rallydefault

MarioVillager92

Wow that was fast, it got its first review. The game itself is looking promising so far. I'll likely end up getting it. Kinda wanna wait for more reviews though.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

link3710

So there's no experience or reason to battle again apparently. Coins may be needed to power you up in battles, but Mario economy is usually highly broken so... We shall see. Right now this is a definite pass from me unless I hear this isn't an issue in practice.

link3710

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic