Forums

Topic: No "New Super Mario Bros game?"

Posts 141 to 149 of 149

SuperWill369

Teal deer: NSMB series is awesome, original, and has plenty of unique features with each instalment of the game. All this talk of it being old hat just comes across as negativity for negativity’s sake. I’m sure Cappy would agree with me. After all, he is a new hat!

I’ll be honest, I completely disagree that the NEW SMB series has done “very little” to contribute to the Mario saga. Ever since the first NSMB DS game, have been updates in gameplay mechanics (wall jump, triple jump, ground pound, midair twirl, etc), there have been exciting and original power-ups (propellor suit, penguin suit, gold mario from NSMB2 - the latter is a personal favourite and I’d love to see this included in a big screen Mario game). The greatly improved graphics and gameplay mechanics of the series have made the game more accessible and fun, and each game has implemented unique features specific to which console they were released on (NSMB for DS used both screens, Wii version used the motion controls, Wii U version used the game pad for additional gameplay modes and features, plus let’s not forget Mario Maker which couldn’t exist without a touchscreen console - I realise that this example isn’t a NSMB game as such, but it’s in the 2D canon for sure). I really don’t understand why any Mario/Nintendo fan would criticise these games negatively. They’re absolutely awesome. Mario Run is also a little piece of genius and I for one cannot wait to see a NSMB title on Switch. My ongoing hopeful Google searches for just that are what brought me here! I believe that a 2D Mario game for Switch will do what the others have done - be the fun, familiar Mario platform game but with a bunch of cool new moves, power-ups, and gameplay techniques which showcase and utilise the unique mechanics of the console’s engine and controllers. And since the joycons are absolutely incredible pieces of technology, I can’t wait to see what Nintendo have up their sleeve. This one’s going to be awesome 😎

Edited on by SuperWill369

SuperWill369

Mountain_Man

I prefer 2D Mario to 3D Mario and would buy NSMB Switch in a heartbeat.

Mario Maker is really not a substitute for a proper 2D Mario because few people have Nintendo's skill and eye for quality. Not to mention the chore of weeding through the massive amount of trash levels and levels that played themselves trying to find the occasional gem.

Edited on by Mountain_Man

The Mountain Man

kepsux

If they bundled all the SNMB games into an "All Stars Collection" I'd prob plomp down some loot for it.

it's yo boy

SKTTR

Super Mario Maker is the best 2D Mario game I played, and I like the New Super Mario Bros. graphics as well, but I think they've overdone it a little.

We only got one Super Mario World style game, even though they could easily have made a trilogy (Yoshi's Island doesn't count). We also got only one Super Mario Bros. 3 style game, even though they could have build on that series too.

But we got 4 games with New Super Mario Bros. style graphics. It's the point where a bunch of people seem bored by the graphics as they expect more variety from 2D Mario games.

I too wonder what comes after "New", but I wouldn't mind a fifth game for Switch, especially if its called Super Mario Maker 2.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Dezzy

Is there like a list of awesome levels you should download in Mario Maker? I got the 3DS version when it was on sale but I can't be bothered to spend hours trying out various levels.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

toiletduck

@Dezzy for as far as I know there's no way to manually select a good level. All the levels I run into are crap. Unfortunately I've learned about that too late, otherwise I never would've bought the game...

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Mountain_Man

Dezzy wrote:

Is there like a list of awesome levels you should download in Mario Maker? I got the 3DS version when it was on sale but I can't be bothered to spend hours trying out various levels.

There's supposed to be a way to download only levels that have received Nintendo's stamp of approval, but either the feature doesn't work as advertised, or the folks at Nintendo have a fondness for terrible levels.

The Mountain Man

puNINTENDed

If they go back to making more Mario platformers they should do something completely new. New Super Mario Bros and 3D world weren't awful but it felt like the same game without new inventive concepts. I'm glad Super Mario Odyssey exists because it had more exploration and had a different formula. It felt different from the stuff we had gotten in recent years.

puNINTENDed

Quarth

I loved the first NSMB on DS, but haven't played the follow-ups, so I wouldn't mind a new game in the series, as long as it isn't lazy.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.