Forums

Topic: No "New Super Mario Bros game?"

Posts 121 to 140 of 149

Bolt_Strike

shadow-wolf wrote:

I know it's regarded as and viewed as a 3D Mario, but honestly, Super Mario 3D World is just a 3D version of the NSMB series.

I know, that's the problem. 3D World is just as repetitive and creatively bankrupt as the NSMB games. 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, and Odyssey put 3D World to shame with how much more ambition and creativity they have.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

toiletduck

shadow-wolf wrote:

No one here mentioned Super Mario 3D World?
They should port and/or make a sequel to 3D World and let that be the replacement for NSMB.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like a 3D World port, but it could by no means be the replacement for NSMB. Gameplay wise and visually it's just so different from an actual 2D-Mario... An actual 2D Mario in the 'classic' style, would only consist of certain 2D gameplay mechanics.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

FireMario887

I wouldn't mind seeing another NSMB title come. My only thing is, instead of using the same level design themes and basic sense and progression the other titles provided, maybe try to shake things up. Perhaps world themes that focus on more specified and localized locations. Oh, and PLEASE, a difficulty spike that occurs much earlier than a special world of challenge levels.

FireMario887

Haru17

This thread would be more accurately titled "No new 'New Super Mario Bros.' game?"

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

toiletduck

Haru17 wrote:

This thread would be more accurately titled "No new 'New Super Mario Bros.' game?"

Not really... We're debating both a new 'NSMB' as a port of the existing 'NSMB's

toiletduck

NintendoPete

Bolt_Strike wrote:

64, Sunshine, Galaxy, and Odyssey put 3D World to shame with how much more ambition and creativity they have.

Doesn't mean it is a bad game - in my opinion it is much better and more interesting than Sunshine or Odyssey - even though I love Odyssey and completed it 100 % . Galaxy 2 was quite similar to 3D World as it was broken down to an overview map with selectable levels.

NintendoPete

NaviAndMii

Haru17 wrote:

They should make a new Super Mario Bros game, but not like New Super Mario Bros - newer! ..the new Super Mario Bros game could be called New New Super Mario Bros!

šŸŽ® Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

MotaroRIP

Iā€™d love a new game in this series. Some of my best gaming has happened on the Wii and WiiU versions. My wife and I played them again and again sheā€™s a very casual gamer so itā€™s perfect for her. We would 100% them and then 2-3 times a week have an hour or two where we took turns picking random levels. We played the Wii version so much we got to where we could memorize which squares were Bowser squares and item squares on the item mini game. For me itā€™s up there with Animal Crossing as something I want to see at E3 this year

MotaroRIP

Bass_X0

@toiletduck No, keeping the level design identical to the way they were originally is more important than featuring a simultaneous multiplayer mode.

Edgey, Gumshoe, Godot, Sissel, Larry, then Mia, Franziska, Maggie, Kay and Lynne.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing happens!

toiletduck

@Bass_X0 what are you referring to?

toiletduck

Bass_X0

toiletduck wrote:

@Bass_X0 that would be nice, but only if the local co-op mode would be included. Of course, this means a lot level redesign would be essential.

Edgey, Gumshoe, Godot, Sissel, Larry, then Mia, Franziska, Maggie, Kay and Lynne.

electrolite77

I'm expecting a port of NSMBU this Christmas. Chuck in the Luigi U DLC and maybe some extra levels (they could crib a few from Mario Maker if they felt cheap. Which they probably will) and extra characters and that would be a big seller.

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

toiletduck

Bass_X0 wrote:

toiletduck wrote:

@Bass_X0 that would be nice, but only if the local co-op mode would be included. Of course, this means a lot level redesign would be essential.

Imho that way it wouldn't be a substitute for the 'New' series. The accessible local co-op is an essential ingredient to the series for me. Then again, that is just my opinion.

toiletduck

Dezzy

I'd love to see them do a really high quality hand drawn 2D mario game. Something on par with Rayman Legends. That's probably the best looking 2D game in existence. Be nice if Nintendo challenged it.
It would be the easiest way of providing something that Mario Maker couldn't provide.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Androyd34

@Bolt_Strike
Tropical Freeze is four years old and still has more imagination than Odyssey, in my opinion. Not sure what you are looking for in a 2D game, but Tropical Freeze is the best, most well-made platformer since Yoshiā€™s Island on SNES. It has the perfect difficulty, tons of imagination, and more thought put into one area than most 3D platformers. I think the problem is people who are younger, like you, donā€™t understand 2D platformers. Itā€™s sad. Other than throwing your hat at enemies, what else has Super Mario Odyssey done that distinguishes itself from, letā€™s say, Super Mario 64? Sorry dude, Iā€™ll take Tropical Freeze and other 2D games like it over 3D platformers any day. And what is a ā€œlevel pack?ā€ You mean, levels in a game? Because thatā€™s the whole point in platformers. If you want big in-depth stories, play something else. You have a very warped way of looking at games and I donā€™t think you really know what youā€™re talking about.

Androyd34

Bolt_Strike

@Androyd34 It's about having new abilities to work with. Tropical Freeze is working with the same moveset as every other DK game ever. Jump, roll, throw, handslap. There's only so much that can be done with those actions to keep things interesting. Mario's capture mechanic in Odyssey is more than DK has ever done to distinguish itself from other games ever. You use it to enhance Mario's platforming abilities. You use it to interact with level gimmicks. And of course, you use it to Capture enemies to enhance Mario's repertoire even further. Far more than Tropical Freeze or any other DK game has ever done which just solely relies on level gimmicks to distinguish itself from other games. And it's just not enough. That's what I mean by level pack. At its core all it is is the same gameplay but new levels. And we can always get this through DLC for $20 nowadays, that's not enough to really make a game feel new. New games need to actually build on the gameplay mechanics in some way, and DK and most other 2D platformers simply fail to do that and therefore feel repetitive and boring. There's a reason the "rehash" label is getting thrown around for games like NSMB and the modern Kirby games. Tropical Freeze is in a similar situation. The only difference is there hasn't been 4 DK games in the DKCR/Tropical Freeze line yet.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Bass_X0

toiletduck wrote:

Bass_X0 wrote:

toiletduck wrote:

Imho that way it wouldn't be a substitute for the 'New' series. The accessible local co-op is an essential ingredient to the series for me. Then again, that is just my opinion.

So you're saying a compilation title of past Mario games with new modern graphics should feature unrecognisable completely changed stages to accommodate a feature introduced many years later?

toiletduck

Bass_X0 wrote:

toiletduck wrote:

Bass_X0 wrote:

toiletduck wrote:

So you're saying a compilation title of past Mario games with new modern graphics should feature unrecognisable completely changed stages to accommodate a feature introduced many years later?

No. I'm saying I'd prefer local co-op over the other features. If they're somehow able to incorporate those mechanics in old Mario games, I'd be happy. Seems unlikely though.

toiletduck

TOUGHDUDE94

Why not they do a 2D Mario and Sonic game.It might be good or end up being the worst mess ever and it can have a hub world like super mario world.

TOUGHDUDE94

Switch Friend Code: SW-8517-4594-3400 | 3DS Friend Code: 4098-4719-4387 | My Nintendo: TOUGHDUDE | Nintendo Network ID: Andrew1994fl2.0

toiletduck

@andrew20 gameplay mechanics aren't exactly similar or complementary, so I don't expect that to happen. But who knows!

toiletduck

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.